Thread: Plywood Boat Building - Photos

Default Plywood Boat Building - Photos

Default Re: Plywood Boat Building - Photos

Very interesting design. Looking at the deck and topside photo, I did not expect to see the twin keels and shallow planing hull in the build photos. I wonder how it sails.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Palmer View Post
    Very interesting design. Looking at the deck and topside photo, I did not expect to see the twin keels and shallow planing hull in the build photos. I wonder how it sails.

Brian
    Just looking around other Euro designs, it seems twin keels and twin rudders are all the rage. I wonder if it's just fashion or is there actually something to it.

Hello,

I'm the builder, and still the owner of this boat.
    First of all, let me correct something that is very important: I'm not from France, I'm from Belgium (you know, this small country, just above France on the map...).
    Secondly, thank you for the nice comments on my job.
    This building started as an "amateur" building, and finally, I'm now the owner of a small shipyard, based at home, here in Belgium.
    This boat has a complicated story, mainly because of the architect (which finally appeared not to be an architect...), who made serious mistakes about ballast calculation (I needed to had 230 lead kg), and to modify the second part of the mast, which is now a carbon part (originally ash).
    Its original behavior was catastrophic, really unstable under strong weather conditions. Much better now. It is not a racing boat, but that is not what I want to do with this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bena View Post
    Hello,

I'm the builder, and still the owner of this boat.
    First of all, let me correct something that is very important: I'm not from France, I'm from Belgium (you know, this small country, just above France on the map...).
    Oops sorry about that. I spend most of my time looking at the boat pics...should have payed more attention to the location. Glad everything finally worked out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    Just looking around other Euro designs, it seems twin keels and twin rudders are all the rage. I wonder if it's just fashion or is there actually something to it.
    I just wanted my boat to be able to land on the sand with no additional mechanism whatsoever (fixed twin keels are reliable...). She is based on the North Sea, which offers serious tides, and it is very interesting for me to be able to beach the boat.
    Last edited by Bena; 06-10-2010 at 07:40 PM.

That guy on "Keep Turning Left" also has a twin keel primarily for beaching/when the tide runs out. Also has a youtube channel. Lots of cool boats in his videos too.

Anyway, twin-keel definitely has it's perks if you're going to be sitting in mud a lot of the time and you don't mind going a bit slower.

Oh wow, that's not what I had in mind. I was thinking more burly.

Default Re: bigle keels Plywood Boat Building - Photos

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    That guy on "Keep Turning Left" also has a twin keel primarily for beaching/when the tide runs out. Also has a youtube channel. Lots of cool boats in his videos too.

Anyway, twin-keel definitely has it's perks if you're going to be sitting in mud a lot of the time and you don't mind going a bit slower.
    Actually the slug is worse than twin keels - its got triple keels. Its got a full length rather boxy keel that is about eight inches wide - then its got two stub keels that allow the slug to sit upright on the mud - the sand - the concrete - anywhwere you want.

As for performance - the boat sails most splendidly as long as you don't watch the other boats sailing faster around you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4UhrnRC6x0

I am slowly sailing around the UK - and I use the tides - the way I see it the only thing the slug does not do very well is beat against the tide - although it beats with the tide in fine style.

Sailing is not about getting anywhere as fast as possible.

A taller mast and a bigger genoa would help a bit - but dropping a 17 foot mast is a lot easier than dropping a 21 foot mast - the roller reefing gear for my small genoa is light and cheap.

So I could spend more money on making the slug go faster - but that would take resources away from sailing.

there is one other major advantage to the triple keels - the boat draws just on two feet - I do have a cheap $30 inflatable in the stern locker - but have only used it once - I shove the bows ashore and jump onto the land.

Sure the slug is probably one of the ugliest production boats ever made - but for a 19 footer the slug has amazing accommodation - a separate heads and down in her bowells lurks the beast - an 8 hp volvo single cylinder diesel with a flywheel big enough for a tractor.

So I would say to you chaps - open your eyes to bilge keelers.

A few years ago one of the sailing magazines got a load of journalists to sail two 22 foot hurleys - one bilge keel - one single keel - and asked them to say which was which (we have muddy water in the UK) they could not tell the difference.

So for me, for my waters, for my price..... no contest.

cheaper dinghy, cheaper mooring, cheaper yard bills, even cheaper antifouling as I give the boat a scrape every time I see its bottom.

Dylan

www.keepturningleft.co.uk

Ps on the you tube space http://www.youtube.com/user/KeepTurningLeft there are several films from the three rivers race - lovely, lovely, lovely

d

pps. bumma - hit the wrong button and now it won't let me change the literal in the heading
    Last edited by dylan winter; 06-11-2010 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    Twin rudders and Twin bulb keels? He's a braver man than me, they look so vulnerable...
    Very nice work and she looks light and fast!
    They are much stronger now...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    What is the construction of the keels or are they struts?

Again, nice build.
    Keels are made of cast iron (you can see them naked there : http://www.leplancherdesvaches.be/en-construction-c.php

4 lead "shells" have been added later, for more stability, total 230 kilos (original keels, only 320 kilos for both of them), and fixed with epoxy and fiberglass. Cast iron and lead are separated with fiberglass.

Stitch and tape construction, she looks very strongly built. I if had known about S&T when I first wanted to biuld a yacht it's the method I would have chosen.
    Nice job Bena.
    At the age of 62 I have come to realise that you can't breed out stupidity.

very interesting boat

Welcome to the forum Bena.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    It is a racing fashion.

What I would like to know is WHO designed the boat - AND a photo of the area INSIDE the boat where those bilge keels terminate.

That amount of leverage has got to have some constraints .
    OK...I found it...
    Last edited by donald branscom; 06-14-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.