Thread: Blue Moon plans,Q&A with PICS!Pic lovers.

Default Blue Moon plans,Q&A with PICS!Pic lovers.

I was planning to build a boat this summer.Something quick and dirty to satisfy my craving to be out on the water.While I was going through the plans I have accumulated over the last 15 years I found an article reprint of a boat named Blue Moon.I figured since most of the framing is 1x materials,which I have in abundance,and plywood,that I may build one.First,I have some questions.

1) Anyone familiar with this boat or plans?Looking for pics and other builders.

2) Anyone recall seeing where the plans were published,book or magazine?My reprints doesn't include this.

The plans show a stayed mast with a 72 sq.ft. gaff and a 34 sq.ft. Jib.

3) Can I use an unstayed mast?

4) What would be the best sail type for this boat,particularly sailing into the wind?

The plans call for the sails to be made of 8oz canvas,I have this canvas in tan 8oz tarp.

5) Can I use it for sails?If not,material recommendations are appreciated.

I did a search on this site,and others,using Google.I also did an internet search, and couldn't find one picture or hint of these plans or a boat named Blue Moon that looks like this one.

This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Default Re: Blue Moon plans,Q&A with PICS!Pic lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumbtex View Post
    Thanks.I didn't get my reprints from there.Isn't most of Svensons reprints from magazines like Popular Mechanics?
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Thanks.I didn't get my reprints from there.Isn't most of Svensons reprints from magazines like Popular Mechanics?
    I think you might be thinking of Stevensons Projects instead--Svenson has reprints from Boatbuilder handbook too.

Interesting little cruiser... my only comment would be that I'm not sure it would be a "quick and dirty" summer build, lots of parts in this little boat.

That old fashioned construction technique will be nowhere near as quick and easy to build as a modern S&G ply design. Nowhere near as strong and light either. Zero re-sale value to boot.

Here's a similar sized boat using modern construction techniques from a living designer friendly to amateur builders that has everything that old boat lacks--I'd build one of these instead. You could even tack on that false clipper bow profile if you wanted to.

Oops! I see I didn't remember to mention the name. Nancy's China by Sam Devlin.

I'll heartily agree with our learned associate James - there are a gazillion small pocket cruiser plans out there, and the newer plans will be far more complete and easier to build with modern materials -- not to mention better/safer/faster and as James points out, worth more if resold.

Rather than making your own modification to ANY design, it is much better to get the designer or experienced builder's imput first. Something critical like changing from a stayed to unstayed mast is nothing for a new builder to mess with!

Many newer designers have web forums and/or email groups of builders for support purposes, plus will respond on build / modification questions via email or even phone.

The closest design to the Blue Moon that I'm aware of is the (shudder!) Stevenson Weekender. Be sure to search this Forum and read some of the posts about this controversial design, but I certainly don't recommend anything like that if you might take the boat out on salt water. A tried and proven design will be much safer, and the other builders / sailors can help you determine where and under what conditions it can safely be operated.

As for searching this site -
    Google Advanced Search ( http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en ) seems to work much better than the internal Wooden Boat Forum search engine.

Just copy and paste the Forum's URL ( http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/ ) into the last field named "Search within a site or domain:", and then put in search strings like "tow dinghy bridle" or whatever.
    Last edited by Thorne; 06-10-2010 at 09:53 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Stitch and glue is a joyless way to build. But even so, as mentioned by others, there are many current designs both S&G or framed that will be quicker builds. As well as Sam Devlin have a look at Selway Fisher for starters http://www.selway-fisher.com/PocketC.htm
    Last edited by JimD; 06-10-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Edited to remove unecessary commas

Thanks guys.Stitch n Goo would be easier and faster.I am worried about resale.Not the value but obtaining a USCG cert to be able to sale.All home built boats are required to pass and receive a USCG cert before sale in my state.

Thorne,That is the only way I can search this forum.Every time I use the built in search it returns with a message with no matches and directs me to use different words or terms.

You can't do Boolean searches with the built-in tool, but it is the only way I know to find a particular thread **created by** or **posted to** by a particular Forumite -- google can't seem to do that particular search.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

"Glue and Screw" may be the woodbutcher's delight but it isn't the technique most favorable to a builder who has a short time line. S&G may lack the luster of poetry but it is faster, lighter, tighter, less prone to leaks, and better at fending off rot.
    On a more serious note, if you are committed to building a hull w/cabin and interior furniture, a mast w/spars, and sew a sail in a single summer, altho' you live in a warmer climate, you will really have to boogie to pull it off. I would judge you are being overly ambitious for the timeline you propose but, my judgement may be pesimistic because I'm rather disorganized. Even if you were using a more modern construction technique a boat of that complexity would be a 12 month project and you would have to work on it religiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga Chuck View Post
    "Glue and Screw" may be the woodbutcher's delight but it isn't the technique most favorable to a builder who has a short time line. S&G may lack the luster of poetry but it is faster, lighter, tighter, less prone to leaks, and better at fending off rot.
    On a more serious note, if you are committed to building a hull w/cabin and interior furniture, a mast w/spars, and sew a sail in a single summer, altho' you live in a warmer climate, you will really have to boogie to pull it off. I would judge you are being overly ambitious for the timeline you propose but, my judgement may be pesimistic because I'm rather disorganized. Even if you were using a more modern construction technique a boat of that complexity would be a 12 month project and you would have to work on it religiously.
    I am disabled and have all day and night to do what ever.I just wanna keep it smallish,with a cabin,cheap, and can be pulled by my small pick up.

The reason I chose this design was my wood stash.I have close,if not more,than 200 board feet of 1x material called for in the plans.I would need ply and epoxy to complete the hull.I may have aluminum for a mast and boom depending on the type of rigging and sails.

Here & there in Texas - But changing in 2020. Standby.

Cool Re: Blue Moon plans,Q&A with PICS!Pic lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post

I just wanna keep it smallish,with a cabin,cheap, and can be pulled by my small pick up.

The reason I chose this design was my wood stash.I have close,if not more,than 200 board feet of 1x material called for in the plans.I would need ply and epoxy to complete the hull.I may have aluminum for a mast and boom depending on the type of rigging and sails.
    You've described about a zillion boats from currently active designers. Selway-Fisher and Sam Devlin already mentioned. Add to the list: Iain Oughtred, John Welsford, Paul Gartside, many many more.

Look at the Wee Seal post in Reqources started today or yesterday for a link to a gallery of photos of a nice example of Iain Oughtred's Wee Seal. Only one of numerous contenders for your building efforts. Selway-Fisher's Tideway 14 and the Swan series of boats merit consideration.

How small is your truck? Towing capacity? Boats, sails, batteries, stores, ground tackle, trailer, etc. have a nasty habit of always weighing more than the literature estimates. Plan and build accordingly. A prudent person would try to stay at 50% of towing capacity and install an auxillary transmission cooler if the truck has an automatic transmission.

A member of this forum just pointed out something to consider: The nature of launch ramps in your area. Shallow ramps may make launching and retrieving difficult for a boat with more draft than the average bass boat.

What kind of lumber is in your stack of 200 B.F. of 1x? You may need to do laminating. Some parts may be bigger than 1x. On the other hand, that pile of lumber, if it's all the same species, might be the basis for a strip planked boat.

Good luck.
    Wayne
    Somewhere in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    The Straight of Georgia looks big.
    http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ven...isabeth+Grace/
    http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/venchka/

I do not subscribe to the claimed advantages of S&G over framed so if you end up cursing your decision to build that way don't say no one told ya so. My advice is first to find the right design, and second, build it the way it was designed to be built. You'll probably end up doing a little cursing either way regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You've described about a zillion boats from currently active designers. Selway-Fisher and Sam Devlin already mentioned. Add to the list: Iain Oughtred, John Welsford, Paul Gartside, many many more.

Look at the Wee Seal post in Reqources started today or yesterday for a link to a gallery of photos of a nice example of Iain Oughtred's Wee Seal. Only one of numerous contenders for your building efforts. Selway-Fisher's Tideway 14 and the Swan series of boats merit consideration.

How small is your truck? Towing capacity? Boats, sails, batteries, stores, ground tackle, trailer, etc. have a nasty habit of always weighing more than the literature estimates. Plan and build accordingly. A prudent person would try to stay at 50% of towing capacity and install an auxillary transmission cooler if the truck has an automatic transmission.

A member of this forum just pointed out something to consider: The nature of launch ramps in your area. Shallow ramps may make launching and retrieving difficult for a boat with more draft than the average bass boat.

What kind of lumber is in your stack of 200 B.F. of 1x? You may need to do laminating. Some parts may be bigger than 1x. On the other hand, that pile of lumber, if it's all the same species, might be the basis for a strip planked boat.

Good luck.

Thanks.I have an 01 Ford Ranger with the tow package.It's rated 5000lbs pull and 500lbs tongue or 7500lbs pull and 750lbs tongue using a weight distribution hitch.I try to keep the weight under 3000 pounds.I tow A LOT.It's all I did when I was an auto mechanic,towing and road side assist.

I live in an area with shallow lakes so draft should be less than 16 inches with the center board up.My 10 foot aluminum jon boat drags bottom in some areas where you would assume the bottom would be plenty deep enough for a small boat.I row or paddle my jon.

The 1x stock I have ranges between 1x2 to 1x4 and I am not sure if it's pine or oak.It all came from the same bundle.
    Last edited by ben2go; 06-10-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I do not subscribe to the claimed advantages of S&G over framed so if you end up cursing your decision to build that way don't say no one told ya so. My advice is first to find the right design, and second, build it the way it was designed to be built. You'll probably end up doing a little cursing either way regardless.

I tend to agree with you,but in my research,it appears that S&G is lighter weight.I do prefer skin on frame or plank on frame.I feel it's more rugged.I have never been aboard an S&G boat but I have been aboard plank on frame boat.I was distracted by the craftsmanship.Good thing I was only a passenger.It was a 20 x 9, IIRC, skiff used for ferrying people to and from mainland to islands.Wish I could have gotten a look at her bottom.Felt really solid.

Any boat I build will not be my first or my last.I constantly have a project or 10 going on.

Here & there in Texas - But changing in 2020. Standby.

Wayne
    Somewhere in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    The Straight of Georgia looks big.
    http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ven...isabeth+Grace/
    http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/venchka/

I would like to revive this thread to ask ... could this little boat be adapted for stitch and glue construction? I think this was touched on in the thread, but there was no consensus (is there ever when boats are involved?),