Thread: 5 ply 1/4" 4' x 8' IntegraPly

Default 5 ply 1/4" 4' x 8' IntegraPly

Does anyone know anything about this stuff? It costs $15 a sheet at Menards. It's not the usual 3-ply sponge sandwitch, at least.

Default Re: 5 ply 1/4" 4' x 8' IntegraPly

For use as what, exactly? If you are willing to fiberglass both sides, you can use nearly anything for strakes in some hull designs. It won't look pretty or last forever but it can be made to work by some builders -- I've seen it done.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    For use as what, exactly? If you are willing to fiberglass both sides, you can use nearly anything for strakes in some hull designs. It won't look pretty or last forever but it can be made to work by some builders -- I've seen it done.
    To build a fairly simple small (14-16') stitch-and-glue boat, of the Bolger/Payson ilk. Really, to use as a substitute for okoume in a first-time-builders boat, where the first-time-builder is liable to make clumsy mistakes on 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, and may also fumble assembly. Saw to a line? Can't remember last time I tried. Use a plane? Not since Jr. High shop class, which would be fifty years ago. Yes, I could practice on scrap, if I had any scrap. In a way, I suppose this stuff might be viewed as the scrap I practice on.

I just wondered if anyone had used it, or if everybody knows for a fact that it's horrible useless junk. The 5-ply seemed encouraging--it seems to me that any voids in the three inner plys would at least be unlikely to be aligned. Of course with three inner ply, there'd be three times the opportunity for voids.

Does it have waterproof ( not water-resistant) glue?
    Are all the plys approximately equal in thickness?
    Can you see any voids along the edges?
    Was it made in China?
    What kind of wood is it supposed to be?
    Will the glue survive boiling for 30 minutes?

The above is the approximate drill. Trade names come and go like cell phones. If you don't want to swim you have to be your own plywood researcher.
    I went thru' the above process once and built two small boat with a brand of underlayment. In most ways it worked out OK but the wood was some kind of white hardwood that tended to turn black quickly if the epoxy coat was ruptured.

The really cheap ply can be used, but the more holes you drill in it (like for stitch and glue) the harder it can be to seal with epoxy and glass cloth. You ARE going to completely glass this sort of material, right?

The easier method is to use quality marine ply, which then usually only needs the edges and any holes sealed with epoxy, and can be painted instead of fiberglassed. But you know that...

One possible exception (haven't tried it myself) is to use MDO ply, then coat the edges and holes as above, using a quality paint to seal the surface. Won't work for any bright finished areas, but reportedly OK for painted hulls.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

If it has 5 plies, is a white wood and not much grain...it is probably Baltic Birch. I am building out of it now...epoxied inside and out and glassed out. If it has 3 equal plies it could be of Pine or Fir or even Spruce...best to do the tests on it. Most of those will check if not glassed.
    Cuyahoga Chuck...that stuff that turned black was probably Birch...it tends to do that.

Okay--I'll buy some and check for voids, and boil some. I hoped someone had already done it, but I'm glad to do it myself. I didn't know plywood trade names were so evanescent. And yeah, I have a handy cheap supply of epoxy, and I'm planning to slather it on whatever I build.

Folk wisdom to the contrary, you often don't get what you pay for, in my experience of other fields. You do have to know what you're doing to stack the deck, of course, and in the boatbuilding world, I don't know. Yet.