Thread: Pedal powered sternwheeler

Hi All,

I am designing a sternwheeler for use on the Red Deer river when it is low and slow. Ideally I am aiming for a minimum draft of 4 inches. (Think decadent fishing platform) . I will be using round chines on two pontoons (strip built) but haven't decided on the transom shape yet. The platform between the pontoons will be in simple 4X8 removable sections that will allow me to change them out as circumstances warrant. ie take off the sterwhheler section and put on an outboard section (if/when the water is high enough). The kids have designed a section that incorporates a slide (although why I would need a slide for fishing is unknown) .

Any suggestions on the shape of the transom. I was originally thinking sharp for the outboard but like the looks of a tumble home.

Thanks, Howard

Why not just a clamp on sidemount for the outboard, like they use on canoes; or an outboard well inboard. Many yachts use these, and you could have whatever shape you wanted astern. Are you going to use gearing for the paddle drive?

Scuthorp

The river around here tends to vary a lot. Lot's of erratic boulders (these are boulders left behind from the glaciers in the ice age) that can't be seen because the water is too muddy. During part of the year I can use an outboard. During the rest of the year its too shallow (deep water divided by sand bars and rocks).

But, when its low, its also slow enough that I will be able to pedal. My goal is 4 to 6 inches draft (including the paddle). I will be mounting two old mountain bikes to provide the power. I will be keeping their gearing and freewheeling. (The only loss is the ability to go in reverse but I'll keep a pole on the boat for that.

Thanks,

Howard