Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: CWB's Home Built Boats Weekend: July 24-25, 2010

Default CWB's Home Built Boats Weekend: July 24-25, 2010

For the second straight year, myself and a few other volunteers at CWB are organizing a weekend event aimed toward home builders of small craft.

Home Built Boats:
    For people who have built small craft, and for those who want to.

10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, July 24
    10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday, July 25
    The Center for Wooden Boats, Seattle, WA.

You can read more here.

I'm hoping that some of you out there who have built your own boat would be willing bring your boat down to the CWB docks for a weekend. We'd love to see it. I'm also hoping that any professionals out there who cater to the home builder (by selling plans, or products, or through teaching) will bring themselves down to the docks to show off their products and services, as well as to offer skills demonstrations to visitors.

This weekend event is free to the public, as well as to amateurs who want to show their home made boats. (Donations are encouraged.) Any and all funds raised would go directly to The Center for Wooden Boats, though mostly it's just a chance to hang out in the warm Seattle summer sun and talk about boats.

Here's a great photo taken last year by forumite G. Schollmeier, (who ought to bring his canoe).

Thanks!

Default Re: CWB's Home Built Boats Weekend: July 24-25, 2010

Rowan for certain, maybe some others too.

Lots of pictures, folks! - Please!

While a trip to the left coast would be desirable to see that show, there is no way in Hades that I'll be able to see it except through the vicarious pleasure of your generosity in posting photographs!
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I forgot to mention ... Home Built Boats Weekend will coincide with this year's offering of CWB's "Weird Boats," a workshop that will teach you all about the different sailing rigs at CWB. Historically, it has been taught by forumite JohnW, aka John Watkins.

CWB's Weird Boats class is really cool and very complementary to the Home Built Boats Weekend.

You can sign up here.

Program Description

Peak your gaff and snub your snotter while learning the ins and outs of many different small boat rigs. This weekend class will focus on rigging and sailing boats in our collection with different types of rigs, including cat, sloop, gaff, sprit, Marconi, dipping lug, standing lug, sprit-boom, leg-o-mutton, ketch, cutter, yawl and maybe more! We also will spend time discussing theory and history surrounding the plethora of sail combinations in the small boat world. Recommended Reading: Phil Bolger’s “100 Small Boat Rigs”.

Class Meetings
    Saturday & Sunday

Start Time
    10:00 am

End Time
    4:00 pm

Member Cost
    $130

Full Cost
    $150

Maximum Participants

Minimum age of participants
    Call if the student is under age 18.

To register for the class, click on the link below.
    https://event-manager.compete-at.com...me.do?eid=2211
    Last edited by Yeadon; 05-14-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Lots of pictures, folks! - Please!

While a trip to the left coast would be desirable to see that show, there is no way in Hades that I'll be able to see it except through the vicarious pleasure of your generosity in posting photographs!

Black Swan.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    For the second straight year, myself and a few other volunteers at CWB are organizing a weekend event aimed toward home builders of small craft.
    Yes, but will you reprise your overwhelmingly popular Bilge feature, "Hey, Ask Me a Question?"

Just wondering.

Tim,

Does that include home rebuilt boats?

It may be that long before Amie comes back to CWB (although we're still shooting for mid-June).

Thanks,

Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Yes, but will you reprise your overwhelmingly popular Bilge feature, "Hey, Ask Me a Question?"

Just wondering.
    Yeah! That's great. Glad to have you as a speaker.

I've been really busy lately, probably too busy to shoulder the questions of this fine forum. Currently, it's Saturday morning and I'm hunkered down at my place in Wedgwood sewing a lugsail. It's a lot of fun. James McMullen was kind enough to loan me his Pfaff, and I've found this project really enjoyable (and tough, which I like).

Hopefully I can field questions sometime next week. Did you have something specific I could help you with right now?

Quote Originally Posted by capnharv View Post
    Tim,

Does that include home rebuilt boats?

It may be that long before Amie comes back to CWB (although we're still shooting for mid-June).

Thanks,

Harvey
    Hi Harvey,

We've talked about adding a "Boats from the Dead" portion of the show, but have chosen to not do that yet. These would be boats basically rebuilt by amateurs from the keel up ... boats saved from the dumpster.

We really want to encourage and grow the amateur ranks of home/backyard boat builders. It's a pretty niched community, this is true, but the skills we will be talking about also should translate well to people who are given their uncle's old rowboat and want to restore it. Also, I like to hang out with home builders and this is my way doing that.

However, I would not stop anyone from rowing up in a recently refinished Hvalsoe 13, or any type of small, human-powered craft, and joining the show in an impromptu manner. (And if you do show up, bring beer, or something edible for the rest of us, like a watermelon or some home made cookies.) After all, it is CWB, and we're a pretty accepting crew.

- Tim

Wasn't Amie home built by the original owner?

John,

Yes, Amie was built over a 4 year period in Ketchican by a cannery worker. I think I'd call that amateur built.

and Tim,

I realized after I asked the question that I won't be here that weekend anyway. It's the 50th annual Friendship Sloop days in Rockland, and I don't want to miss that.

Thanks,

Harvey

Friendship Sloop Days ... now that sounds cool. I'd like to see that.

If Amie is on the docks at CWB, please bring her over to the Boulevard dock and put a sign on her that tells the story about the cannery worker who built her over a four year period. Last year, we did something similar like that with Barbaree, the red T-Bird, even though Kemp was gone for the weekend. Apparently, she was the first home built T-bird. Hopefully, Barbaree will be there again.

How amateur are we talking? Because I've got this crazy idea to bring my first build, S/V Wawona an 8' Harley 8 down. From Montana.
    James D. Maxwell
    Missoula, MT
    Sailing Inland Seas
    Heron #1

I’ll be there with my camera and my intention is to bring one maybe two canoes. Last year was great, it should be a fun weekend.
    Gary
    "The hand feeds the mind."
    Weston Farmer

Weston Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by schoonerpacket View Post
    How amateur are we talking? Because I've got this crazy idea to bring my first build, S/V Wawona an 8' Harley 8 down. From Montana.
    Do it! Bring your first build. You'll love meeting everybody, too. We had a fellow from southern Oregon bring a really cool canoe last year. I think he came the longest distance. Perhaps you can top that.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Schollmeier View Post
    Iíll be there with my camera and my intention is to bring one maybe two canoes. Last year was great, it should be a fun weekend.
    Gary
    Can't wait to see the canoes. (Can we see a photo?) I'm thinking that a canoe restoration will be one of my next big projects. I will probably have questions for you.

Mind if I post a few? Here ...

Above, that's Sam Devlin in the front on the right, Mark Bunzel of Fine Edge on the front left, then you can see James McMullen in the back with the sunglasses. They went on a lunch run for sandwiches.

This is Eggplant, the tender to Zulu. Egglplant is a skin boat.

The Hvalsoe 16.

This was an in-process Woodhole Sprit Boat (... I believe). I really hope the fellow brings the finished boat this year and sails it around the lake.

On the left is my boat, Big Food, which will have a balance lug rig this year. Just behind it is my friend Noah's Melonseed skiff, which is really a cool little day sailor.

This boat really got my attention, it is a glued-lap faering.

Lew and Rita stopped by to take a look.

James and Rowan.

A home built runabout (maybe it would be more accurately called a flush deck cruiser?) built just in time for the show. If I remember correctly, the fellow built it with the intent of selling it, then using the proceeds to build another. You have to follow your heart, ya know?

I realize from this photo that McMullin (?) came out of the water about the same time I did in the afternoon (on Sunday). It was a green homebuilt with a small outboard; just as pictured here. As I was taking my Hvalsoe out of the water, I smiled and engaged the two guys pulling out their boat (the one in the picture), and tried to talk to them but they brushed me off. No interest as all.....

At the time, distant and cold as they were, I thought "these people can't be wooden boat folks", but actually, it turns out ....it was James? ! This solves a mystery for me!

Tim, you probably don't remember but I rowed my Hvalsoe over to the show as well. You weren't there but I did see John and a couple of the other people, maybe Eric too.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 05-16-2010 at 03:45 PM.

I don't think that was me, Lew. As I recall, it was Mark and my friend Mike who loaded up the green boat on the trailer, because I was sailing Rowan. Mike has a beard like mine and wearing a hat and sunglasses it might be easy to mistake us from a distance. I'm sure that if it were me, I would have recognized a Hvalsoe 13 and have come over to chat. Mark and Mike are just not rowers, they wouldn't know what they were seeing, the heathens!

I am not generally considered "distant and cold". . . .more likely "boisterous" and "presumptuous".
    Last edited by James McMullen; 05-16-2010 at 04:41 PM.

You two need to get to know each in person over a beer or three. I know just the weekend ...

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post

I am not generally considered "distant and cold". . . .more likely "boisterous" and "presumptuous".
    I was so excited at the ramp! Here were these guys in this nice boat, me in my little boat and well...you know! They just blew me off!
    The boat was familiar, maybe the beard less so!

I am looking forward to seeing you there James! I will bring beer and you can bring honey!

I see that two of these people look a bit like each other....

(James...I always think of you as a warm and caring person.....and now I still do!)

That definitely wasn't me. I would not ever have blown off a guy in a traditional lapstrake boat, no matter how late or sunburned or tired I was.

I will be sure to tease Mike about it big time when I see him next!

Lew I have seen your Hvalsoe, and I am sure James would have been all over it. I have only spoken to him twice but have observed him talking boats and its fun to watch.
    So Tim, if I was to drive all the way south to the big city with one or two canoes, do you have a suggestion as to where one could stay at a low rate and not have to drive far from CWB.
    Gary
    Weston Farmer

I wonder if the Tug Arthur Foss will be hosting people by then? I know that they usually have bunks for rent for us boaty type people.

Anybody else have any lodging tips?

Why don't you just host a big slumber party at your pad, Tim? I promise not to act cold and distant.

I thought you boaty people were self-contained camp cruisers of the finest kind. True outdoorsy people. The kind of men who needed only a blue tarp and some twine to make a home. And now you want a slumber party?

Why don't you just host a big slumber party at your pad, Tim? I promise not to act cold and distant.
    Goodness. I have no idea what this means.

Lew I have seen your Hvalsoe, and I am sure James would have been all over it. I have only spoken to him twice but have observed him talking boats and its fun to watch.
    So Tim, if I was to drive all the way south to the big city with one or two canoes, do you have a suggestion as to where one could stay at a low rate and not have to drive far from CWB.
    Gary
    Lots of very cheap accommodations on Aurora. Entertainment included.

Ahhh, Pat Ford is here.

I will be there with Here and Now, my Willy Winship built in glued lapstrake.

Tim, if you make up a promotion flyer or something like that, I'll post it around up here.

Quote Originally Posted by RLT View Post
    I will be there with Here and Now, my Willy Winship built in glued lapstrake.
    Nice! I remember your boat from last year. You'd just finished it, and it was immaculate. Will you be in the water this year?

Tim, if you make up a promotion flyer or something like that, I'll post it around up here.
    It's on my to-do list. Hopefully I can get something done in the next week or so. If anyone else wants one to post, let me know.

Tim,

I will have my boat in the water this year and there is a slight chance that I will have the sailing rig done.

Randy

Just as an update, several more home builders have indicated they will be bringing their boats to Home Built Boats Weekend, July 24-25 at CWB.

Here's one:

Tom Larkin of Bothell, WA built this Devlin design Godzilla 25 in his backyard.
    LOA - 25 feet
    Beam - 9 feet
    Draft - 2 feet
    Launched - May 27, 2010