X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Billey
    • May 2010

Danish double-ender project in Gloucester, MA

Hey Everyone!

My name is Matt and I'm building a copy of a Danish double-ender that was built on Bornholm Island in 1900. For those of you who know Russ Manheimer here on the WB forum, you may have already heard about this project, as he has previously posted some pics of my boat for me. I have a few more snaps to show my latest progress. I am now finishing up the caulking of the deck and seam compound, etc. Soon I'll be onto the cabin trunk which I will laminate out of 3 layers of wana. Please comment or ask questions. I hope you enjoy the pics!

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by Matt Billey; 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM. Reason: trying to get the pics show
  • StevenBauer
    LPBC member
    • Jan 2000

Re: Danish double-ender project in Gloucester, MA

Very nice, Matt, thanks for sharing.

Steven

Comment

• Paul Pless
      pinko commie tree hugger
      • Oct 2003

is this boat trunnel fastened?
      Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
        • Jun 2003

Nice !

Comment

• Matt Billey
          • May 2010

Yes Paul, my boat is trunnel fastened through the frames and peg fastened through the laps.

M

Comment

• wintermutt
            Paragon of Mendacity
            • Mar 2010

This looks amazing. I'd love to see more photos and hear some details about your project. What kind of wood for the frames and how about the trunnels?

- Brent

I am not young enough to know everything.

Comment

• Matt Billey
              • May 2010

Hey Wintermutt,

Thanks for the kind words. The frames are made from hackmatack, oak and black locust. All of the floor timbers are hack. All of the trunnels and lap-pegs are black locust. Here are a few more pics. Is there anything specific you'd like to know about the boat?

Matt

Comment

• wintermutt
                Paragon of Mendacity
                • Mar 2010

Well, I'm fascinated by your trunnel fastenings. Do you think it saved you much on the cost of fasteners, or did you more than make up for that savings with the extra time (if any) involved in this system?

Were the trunnels turned or hewn with a drawknife, or . . . ? Did you use wedges to secure them? How about epoxy? Did you use any adhesive in the laps?

What's your LOA and what plans are you working from? Was the original 1900 boat fastened similarly? Do you have any references for a project like this?

What wood is your decking? Fir?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

Thanks

- Brent

I am not young enough to know everything.

Comment

• submariner
                  • Aug 2007

Wow! That is a gorgeous boat. Puts my lapstrake construction skills to shame. Keep the pictures and info coming- I'm looking forward to learning a thing or two.

Comment

• Russ Manheimer
                    Sailing as slow as I can.
                    • Feb 2000

Hi Matt,

Nice to see some progress. Welcome to the WBF.

What is the difference between the trunnels and the pegs used to fasten the laps? I assume the dark color on the planks is from linseed oil. Will the frames turn a similar color? Great stuff.

Have you figured out a spot for the stove?

Looking forward to regular updates.

Russ
                    Hove to off Swan Point......

Comment

• OEX
                      • Feb 2004

I was just at the Roskilda Museum in Denmark. They would be proud to see the quality of work you have done. They are very jealous of Black Locust and would love to have more over there. They are working on a 28ft centerbaord "eel boat" right now that has very similar construction details to yours. I think I have a few pix of the build if you want to see them please e-mail me at [email protected]

I just designed a small sail boat based loosely on the Fredriksundjolle (sp?), and Swedish kosters, but smaller and ply glue lap---not real boat building like yours! I have two of these boats being built in WA for my kids right now. Really they are like a Jolle slapped into a Beetle cat and fused with a glue lap boat. Love to show you the desings and get your opinion.

Love to come and see your progress some time. I am in CT and go my your spot every so often. I just love those hefty stanchions. How long have you been building her? Where did you get the plans? Are you using raw linseed or boiled to soak planking, with tar I assume and terp?? Will you be doing a sprit rig or gaff? Just fantastic!!!!!.

Since you seem to like the sacany double enders, have look at this.... http://www.woodenboatrescue.org/Swed...estoration.htm not the same workboat quality you have there, but still nice.

I also have a small double ender for free at WBRF, 1920s and looks like a jolle or sorts, but made in USA. Single cyl Vire Finnish inboard and gunter rig. Spread the word to any scandy double ender lovers - feel free to give out my e-mail for pix of this one too.

Keep up the good work, I wish I had your skills!

Cheers, Bruce

Comment

• peter radclyffe
                        • Apr 2009

great work fellas

Comment

• Russ Manheimer
                          Sailing as slow as I can.
                          • Feb 2000

Bruce,

Can you share your design and pics with us? Sounds interesting. What size are they?

Thanks,

Russ
                          Hove to off Swan Point......

Comment

• skaraborgcraft
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2010

Quality boat and super work,keep the pics coming. I have a Koster K25 class, with a similar look down below, chunky oak frames, gives a lot of confidence. Whats the estimate on displacement?

Comment

• Matt Billey
                              • May 2010

In response to Wintermutt's questions;

There was a considerable amount of time put into making those trunnels, but I think it nearly balanced out compared to buying large copper square shank nails and dished roves. I made the trunnels in batches. Mass producing them in this way, I was able to produce a single trunnel in about 2 minutes or so. If I was to do it again, I'd probably shell out for the rivets, to save time. But since the original boat was fastened with trunnels, I wanted to do that too and gain some experience with them. Both the lap pegs and the frame trunnels have a swelled head on the outside. Soon I will post some pics of both the trunnels and pegs and the devices which I made to create them. The swelled end is on the outside and mates up with a matching countersink in the planking. I split the trunnels with the band-saw and wedged from the inside. When I first started planking the boat, I was using a little bit of 5200 on the heads of the pegs, but later abandoned that when a Danish master-shipwright told me that wasn't necessary. Instead I dabbed the heads with some pine tar as a preservative. There is no adhesive between planks at the laps. I did paint the laps with shellac and smeared a small amount of bedding compound to make up for any holidays. Also, there is a very small caulking bevel at the laps. This is to allow a few strands of cotton wicking to be lightly set in place. The same shipwright told me this was for a little extra insurance in the spring when the boat first goes in the water and hasn't fully swelled tight. The LOA is just over 27 feet (25 Danish feet). The Danish inch is a little bigger than the English inch! I'm not kidding either. I lofted the boat using this old-timey measuring system. I got an abbreviated set of plans from the Seafaring Museum at Kronberg Castle in Denmark and created my own table of offsets from the basic lines drawing. This museum houses all of Christian Nielsen's drawings from when he travelled around Denmark by bicycle and measured many of the old boats he came across. This is much like what Howard Chapelled did in this country. I first became aware of this boat "Haabet" in his book "Wooden Boat Designs". You were right in guessing that the deck in Douglas fir.

Matt
                              Last edited by Matt Billey; 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM. Reason: adding more detailed info

Comment

Working...