Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Bolger Black Skimmer

Default Re: Bolger Black Skimmer

Great! Love the pics!

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    A friend of mine had a Black Skimmer for years, true to plan, it sailed ok, not brilliant but well enough to be enjoyable. Slow to tack. But she was like being inside a guitar body at night, very noisy. He eventually made up a padded sausage shaped thing that he tucked under the bow when anchored, that helped a lot.
    All that said, if you want to go sailing in a shallow draft boat rather than build one, go for it.

John Welsford
    I used to sling a boat cushion under the bow at night . . .

I might be inclined to put a shallow V under the bow, perhaps stretching over the first 2 to 3 feet. this would be just light ply or even foam and some fiberglass, and intended to be sacrificial in a hard chance.
    Question ....how are the leeboards shaped? Foil shape....I assume the profile will be as drawn. I know Mr. Bolger was not sold on asymmetrical boards, or indeed much shape at all. I think the "hum" you describe may be due to the shape. My boards are asymmetrical ( more or less flat on the outboard side and well curved on the inside) and much thicker than yours appear in the photo. Mine have never hummed at any speed.

I might be inclined to put a shallow V under the bow, perhaps stretching over the first 2 to 3 feet. this would be just light ply or even foam and some fiberglass, and intended to be sacrificial in a hard chance.
    Somewhere in Bolger's writings, he, himself, makes reference to adding just such a, " false bow," to one of his sharpies. The context was, as I recall, to affix the appendage for use during a delivery passage over open ocean and then remove it once in use in semi-protected waters.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I once saw photos on line of one of his other sharpies with a 'false' bow under the forefoot...as well. It might affect handling......

The leeboards are asymmetrical. That and the transom being beefed up are the two places that I can find where they deviated from the plans.
    DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg
    The cure for everything is saltwater - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Very nice! The cockpit looks a lot more roomy than my NIS 23 cockpit. Lots of space for kids to sprawl out. I guess the interior is pretty usable as well without a centrecase in the way.

So far so good. Sail number #2, we went out after work. 45 minutes to setup and launch with me and another guy who has plenty of weird boat practice - probably faster than the big boat that 2018-06-15 (2).jpg2018-06-15.jpg2018-06-15 (1).jpg. We had 10+ a bit for wind and minimal chop left over from the afternoons breeze. Just about perfect really. The boat tacks readily with no messing about, and the leeboards are surprisingly manageable. Certainly not any less weatherly than the 7 ton cutter that we have sailed for the last 20 years.

Glad to hear it.

Sounds very good.

Default Re: Bolger Black Skimmer - moar sail

download_20180619_191429.jpg

I have an old mizzen staysail from another boat. Its basically unused, and I am thinking its time to put it to work. Time to cut it down to fit the BS. I could have drawn it bigger, but landing the tack on the strong-back (?) for the leeboard lets me avoid additional deck hardware. As drawn there is adds a hair under 70 ft^2 of sail area. Next up some sort of ridiculous jib inspired by Chesapeake bay log canoes, and a drifter.

Sail #4 with the black skimmer went great, but the whole idea that it only takes 30 minutes to get the boat ready is nonsense. I think that we 2 people who knew the boat we could get it down to 30 minutes. The only thing I can come up with (so far) that would straight up speed the uprig is sail track and cars on the mizzen. Lacing is a hold up for sure. its my referred way to bend on a sail, but it might be time to explore options.

But you could keep it tied to the mast and roll it against it. I don't see a faster way.

Great suggestion, that's what I all going to try next.

I'm curious as to why it takes so long to rig.

Mine was maybe 10 minutes? Mizzen furled around the mast, was never meant to have a halyard--that is, you wrapped it around and threw a few half hitches around it.

Is it partly the gunter rig?

Those leeboards make excellent cockpit dodgers...... Looking really good!

Maybe... First step (after getting to the boat launch), is to pull off the cover and step the mizzen (gets one of the plethora of spars off the deck), then check that the main halyard is made of to the snotter strop, turn grab the gin pole and clamp it to the tabernacle, haul the halyard through the gin pole turning block and put an eye on it (butterfly knot), run out the trailer winch and him it to the loop in the halyard... Then the main mast can go up. Bolt the locking key in place. Now all that's left is getting the mizzen boom ready (tack and clew lashing), the same for the main, drop the tiller into it's spot and then off to the ramp.

Could be I am slow, but that's got to be most of the list. It just takes time.

Four islands, four days, and 40 miles (or close to it) in the Nexus Marine Black Skimmer.
    First off we've found a name everyone can get behind, Otter... we saw some river otters at Cypress on our last night out.
    Now that I've got that out of the way I can tell you about the boaty stuff.
    The boat motors ok, super squirrel (not surprising d/t the flat bottom) under power with the boards up, and the because of the way the outboard is mounted and the transom build the engine can't pivot to port (no turning with the engine to starboard). Having the tips of the boards in the water helps a bit.
    She sails great! Steers and tacks well, and goes to weather better than our old 7 ton gaff pilot cutter for sure. We made 7 knots in the run from Sucia to Cypress (1-2 knots of current, but don't tell anyone). Moves well in light air and nearly steers herself. Once I get to know the boat better I suspect there won't be a lot of steering at all. The mizzen staysail looks good, and is good for morale but I am not sure how much it actually helps. The mizzen snotter padeye, which I had removed because it fouled the mizzen lacing, went back on to keep the leach and foot tension balanced properly. Now we just roll the mizzen up around the mast most of the time for furling. Works fine when there's not much wind or for storage. If it was windy we'd have to strike it using the halyard. After several days off futzing around we got the main snotter figured out (the working end needs to be shortened). We gave up on the current topping lift entirely - mostly it caused the boom to seesaw around at both ends menacing everyone. Without the topping lift the boom just lays quietly on deck waiting to trip the crew. I am going to try to move the attachment point aft and have it go up both sides, and experiment with lazy jacks.37646402_10156743349181042_5339359718680821760_o (1).jpg

Allways good to hear such a positive story about a Black Skimmer. Have you used the mizzen to lay head to wind? And I would love to see more pics of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by McKee View Post
    Four islands, four days, and 40 miles (or close to it) in the Nexus Marine Black Skimmer.
    First off we've found a name everyone can get behind, Otter... we saw some river otters at Cypress on our last night out.
    Now that I've got that out of the way I can tell you about the boaty stuff.
    The boat motors ok, super squirrel (not surprising d/t the flat bottom) under power with the boards up, and the because of the way the outboard is mounted and the transom build the engine can't pivot to port (no turning with the engine to starboard). Having the tips of the boards in the water helps a bit.
    She sails great! Steers and tacks well, and goes to weather better than our old 7 ton gaff pilot cutter for sure. We made 7 knots in the run from Sucia to Cypress (1-2 knots of current, but don't tell anyone). Moves well in light air and nearly steers herself. Once I get to know the boat better I suspect there won't be a lot of steering at all. The mizzen staysail looks good, and is good for morale but I am not sure how much it actually helps. The mizzen snotter padeye, which I had removed because it fouled the mizzen lacing, went back on to keep the leach and foot tension balanced properly. Now we just roll the mizzen up around the mast most of the time for furling. Works fine when there's not much wind or for storage. If it was windy we'd have to strike it using the halyard. After several days off futzing around we got the main snotter figured out (the working end needs to be shortened). We gave up on the current topping lift entirely - mostly it caused the boom to seesaw around at both ends menacing everyone. Without the topping lift the boom just lays quietly on deck waiting to trip the crew. I am going to try to move the attachment point aft and have it go up both sides, and experiment with lazy jacks.37646402_10156743349181042_5339359718680821760_o (1).jpg
    Beautiful scene!
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Thanks for describing you time sailing. A lot of us are interested in how this very different boat works....

I haven't tried to use the mizzen to keep the boat head to wind for more than a minute here or there. Striking the main just doesn't take that long... though rope clutches aren't used for easing lines only casting them off. I dropped the main, fortunately the kids weren't onboard, and I now have a 12" * 6" patch to do in the deck. The leeboards accumulate crap for sure - seaweed, drift wood, and the like. Another repair that's been done is a dutchman on the leading edge on that starboard side. I am going to do some painting for sure in the spring. We'd been learning about the snotter for sure... the main snotter is really long, and at first I thought I had to shorten it, but then I realized that it needed to be long to allow for reefing.

The boat is a bit loud at anchor, but really not terrible. That said the kids are sleeping below and we are sleeping in the cockpit.

Thank you for answering my questions. I hope you will enjoy the boat for a long time.

MVIMG_20180810_095919.jpgMVIMG_20180810_095415.jpgMVIMG_20180810_095452.jpg
    Here's the uprig/downrig setup. I use the anchor roller as a turning block, and the trailer winch as the hoist. The gin pole is an 8 foot 4*4 clamped to the tabernacle with a loop of line through a 1" hole that has a carabiner on it. I take the sail end of the halyard and tie it off to the snotter strop, and use the other end to tie to the trailer winch. Takes me about 40 minutes all in all, and I am still getting faster.

I suddenly get why it takes you half an hour (or more) to get it going... you're trailering it. That's a big boat to launch every time you use it, you get full marks for enthusiasm.

Glad I'm not the only voice crying in the wilderness that that boat sails quite well.

And to confirm that motoring with the boards up is like steering a skate board though it doesn't take much immersion to fix the problem. The boat sailed could sail reasonably well, too, even to windward, in very shallow water with maybe a foot of board down.

Quote Originally Posted by earling2 View Post
    I suddenly get why it takes you half an hour (or more) to get it going... you're trailering it. That's a big boat to launch every time you use it, you get full marks for enthusiasm.
    Thanks, I am enthusiastic about not paying moorage.

That said, I am down to about 25 minutes from the time I hit the parking lot to the time I launch assuming I don't have to wait for other yahoos.

Anything under 1/2 an hour to get a trailer yacht ready to launch is pretty dam fine I would say.
    A lot of it comes down to practice and analyzing your systems.
    Zq