Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Nature's Head vs. Air Head Toilet

Question Nature's Head vs. Air Head Toilet

These two marine composting toilets are very similar (Nature's Head probably a knock-off of the Air Head). There's plenty of information in forums online about both......some here too, but I could not find any comparison, let alone a detailed comparison of their quality and features. The Air Head is a bit more expensive with slightly different specs. The Nature's has an oval bowl too, rather than the Air's round one. Other than that, what's the difference?

I'm installing one of these two. Which is better?

Air Head drawing:

Nature's Head drawing:

Last edited by KAIROS; 05-07-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Default Re: Nature's Head vs. Air Head Toilet

I have used the original 'Air Head' and as of a year or two ago thought I would prefer the 'Nature's Head' as comparable/same for less money. Now the 'Air Head' looks to be superior with:
    (A) new larger urine tank that removes w/o disturbing main bowl
    (2) fully gasketed joints between sections
    (iii) mixer crank better suited for tight spaces

I expect to purchase one or the other in the next 12 months so your final choice is of interest to me.

A new larger urine tank is always desirable! I am sure it is; it just sounds funny to me. I will be interested too, in fact.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Just bought 2 plastic buckets. Green is clean and blue is too( #two)

We are also looking at these for our vessel. Functionally they seem to be about the same, and the Nature's head seems to be a renewed and refined design compared with the AirHead. However, the Nature's head appears to be somewhat wider on the top (16.6") and also square at the base possibly making it more difficult to fit it into small spaces. The Airhead has a round base, I believe. I think Airhead may be responding to the competition by updating its design.

I have never heard complaints about the function of these system, but then again, I know almost nobody who has actually lived with one.

A 2002 issue of Practical Sailor concluded that the Airhead was a fine piece of gear, but requires some involvement by the user... They were referring to the need to empty the "liquid" tank and also to the solids stirring and blending process for you and your guests.

Instead of replacing my nest of stinking hoses and a failed pump, I may shell out the bucks for one of these units. I would be interested in anyone's actual experience - with these units. I'm not interested in more of the honey bucket discussion!
    Last edited by John P Lebens; 05-05-2010 at 11:01 PM.

I am very into my airhead but BUT BUT especially if you have a crew of beer drinking women, be prepared to drain the urine tank a couple times a day.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Let the Babes have the good liquor

Quote Originally Posted by George Ray View Post
    .......Now the 'Air Head' looks to be superior....
    George, are you saying that the Air Head has recently been upgraded, and the Nature's Head may not be as good now?

Don't know about 'recent' .... last time I used an Air Head was a few years ago, before Nature's Head was available. It seems to me that Air Head has changed their design for the better. It has been a couple of years since I took a close look at either. This post prompted me to visit the web sites and look/compare and I posted my impression.

I've gotten a response to my question of how these two composting toilets differ from the manufacturer of the Air Head. I'll post the answer here. Still waiting for an answer from the Nature's Head folks. Not any kind of independent study, but maybe useful. I am still searching for independent evaluations.

Here's the question I asked both companies via email:

Please describe, being specific about each component, how the Air Head is different than the Nature's Head. I am installing one or the other of these in my sailboat. The cost difference is trivial.

Here is the answer from the Air Head folks:

QUOTE: As for a comparison, below is my stock answer to your question which seems to fulfill your request. . I hear that NH only says they have a few advantages over ours. That there is no seat and therefore no danger of seat breaking in rough seas. However, the gasket on our unit keeps that from happening. Also, they say something about their urine tank being supported and ours not. The flaw in that argument is that if either unit is left to overhang your feet will dangle in the air due to the height of the units. Therefore it is necessary when installing both units to extend a raised platform out beyond the bottle thereby supporting the bottle as well as providing a foot rest.

I think you will find my arguments sound and really there is no way to compare the product of an original thought and 12 years of work to a mere facsimile cobbled up to take advantage of a "marketing opportunity". But as always, I leave this to your complete examination and if you need any further help let me know.

Air Head Vs. Natures Head

In my slightly biased opinion you are buying a more thoroughly thought out product when purchasing the Air Head. I've been at this since the late 90's and I have spoken to 100's of customers about their experiences with my product. When there is an issue with the product I make design changes. If there is something that I think can be improved I improve it. So over the years I believe I have created something that is solid and dependable and I have made countless changes that really aren't noticeable to people. Air Head is designed to last into the foreseeable future. So the chances of someone fresh copying Air Head quality and dependability is remote right off the bat. They just can't have the breadth of understanding that I have. Nature's Head (NH) is designed to be manufactured more cheaply probably because they figured they needed some advantages over Air Head since its reputation is so good, (Google search “airhead toilet)” and see what people have to say about my product.

Here is a feature to feature comparison of the two:

NH translucent bottle will get pretty ugly pretty quick due to build up of residue from urine. Air Head has a view strip with a replaceable PVC tube. If the tube gets dirty replace it at any hardware store.

It is a bit unbelievable that to remove the LIQUID bottle of NH you need to lift the bowl exposing the SOLID "goods" for a few seconds. Air Head liquid tank is removed using a pull at the bottom, the bottle tilts under the spout. The Air Head bottle has 1.8 gallon capacity when used as designed. However, it really has two gallons if you lifted the bowl as you do the NH.

NH is less compact. In tilting the bowl back on the NH more room is necessary in the rear in order to accommodate this. Additionally, the base of NH is square making it more difficult to fit in tight spaces than the circular Air Head. Air Head was and still is the most compact composting toilet ever made.

Just as unbelievable is that the crank handle on the Natures Head is threaded so it turns only in one direction, the other direction will unscrew and the handle will fall out. I designed the Agitator in the Air Head (which Natures Head copied) to turn both ways. One way moves everything inward, the other outward. It is a necessary element of the equation to be able to reverse direction and Natures Head doesn't provide that...thread lock won't hold it.

Air Head seat and lid is gasketed to prevent flying insects from entering as well as reduce odor if the fan should stall. NH lid has no gaskets.

Air Head comes complete with a solid base transport lid when you carry it off of the boat. Amazingly, NH does not come with a lid for use when you empty the solid tank.

Air Head comes with starter peat, liners, enzyme, mounting screws, hose, fan, four pages of illustrated instructions edited over the course of eight years. NH does not come with liners, enzyme, starter peat and the instructions are brief.

My favorite: You can lift the seat and urinate into the Air Head. NH requires men to run a stream over the seat that does not lift. NH boasts of a larger seat. But it really doesn't have a seat does it?

Air Head has remote fan within its own shroud that pulls air out of the system. The NH fan is mounted on the body of the toilet and attempts to push air though the hose which is less efficient due to turbulence produced and is more likely to push musty air out leaks in long stretch of hose after fan.

Air Head is a nice matte “granite” white. NH is a dark “granite” gray which appears to be the same color formula used in making of porta-jons.

Air Head, has a two year warranty. NH one year.

Geoffrey Trott Originator, Air Head Environmental Toilet. The first diversion composting toilet for boats.

Geoffrey Trott General Manager Eos Design LLC PO Box 5 Mt. Vernon, OH 43050 740-392-3642

END QUOTE.
    Last edited by KAIROS; 05-07-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Great info - we'll see what Nature's Head says.

From my POV, the AirHead looks better because it has cleaner lines.

Have not gotten a response from the Nature's head folks yet. Resent the question via email today.....

I hope they respond soon - I am looking forward to what they have to say.

Received the following answer to my question from Nature's Head. The response from Air Head is in a post above. Again, here's the question I asked both companies via email:

Please describe, being specific about each component, how the Air Head is different than the Nature's Head. I am installing one or the other of these in my sailboat. The cost difference is trivial.

QUOTE:

Here are a few advantages we feel that Nature's Head has.

A full size elongated molded in seat. Safety and comfort in rough seas, also easy to keep clean

Built in fan and filter, change to either side, single pin power hookup,12v draw 1.7 amps in 24 hours. can be run with our 110 v
    transformer,washable filters

Crank handle and agitator can be switched to either side. crank handle can be left off and use a ratchet or ratchet wrench for very narrow installations

For hull side installation the base is angled on the bottom to allow the unit to sit back further.

The two front latches and slip hinge allow for quick and easy servicing of the unit. no thumb screws to line up.

Flange bushings on agitator and trap door components

Special ends and hose for venting, very flexible and no need for clamps.

Urine bottle is self supporting, allows the unit to extend beyond a riser.

Most of these are visable on our slide show on the home page.
    Toilets are always in stock for immediate shipping

Please feel free to call or email with any questions or concerns.

Regards, Larry
    251-295-3043
    www.natureshead.net

END QUOTE.

Still looking for independent evaluations....Air Head vs. Nature's Head.

AIRHEAD

NATURE'S HEAD

Sorry, this has been bugging me for days and I just couldn't contain myself any longer!

I’ve had my Airhead a few years so far. Off-hand here are my thoughts about the Nature’s Head remarks:

Seat size - I’m a big guy with plenty of bottom and I manage to stay on target on the Airhead in all weather. No problem there.

The fan is the fan - it’s only one connection and I think it works better on suck - out near the exit.

The angled side might be helpful though I don’t see how. Airhead is pretty low and it’s easy to make a platform if you orient that way. I think it better to sit fore and aft, not athwartships - that after three decades living aboard in boats with both orientations, so the Nature’s head angle would serve no purpose to me as a sailor.

Latches v. thumbscrews - well maybe but not enough to be trouble

AirHeads hoses have stayed in place just fine.

Both boats could use bigger urine bottles, or even a hose to a remote and really bigger tank. The AirHead tank is easier to get on and off if the flat it rests on is a hair lower than the head itself.

For what it’s worth, I’d probably say get the one that you can get the best deal on. These guys were once partners and the AirHead’s the original but the market should grown enough for both and the competition helps keep quality up.

G’luck

I used to be in the toilet equipment manufacturing business.

I know that Nature's Head has an "elongated" seat. Air Head originally did not; its seat was "round"; ( Rd and Elong being the way household toilets are denoted).

Elongated is LOTS'mo'better, far outweighing features like crankls, etc; even outweighing urine tank size, in my opinion.

Moby Nick

The best head I had before the AirHead was my LaVac, so I guess I'm just used to round. Works fine for me.

I forgot to mention that AirHead's crank can be oriented to which ever side you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    The best head I had ...
    Oops, wrong forum.

LOL when I read this thread title... brought to mind one evening when I was three sheets to the wind peeing into the wind off the bow of HMS Rose.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against every Republican, for every office, at every level. Be patriotic.

Airhead has a version with an elongated seat they designate as a household design.

Yes, and you can order it as an option via email/phone after you place your order. It's not on their website order form yet.
    Last edited by KAIROS; 05-13-2010 at 05:51 AM.

All other things appearing rather equal, I would go for the Airhead based on the service you've received from both companies. The Airhead guy seemed much more interested in answering your question thoroughly, whereas the Natures Head guy took several days to respond with what easily seems copy and pasted.

I get the impression that the AH golfs are more interested in keeping their customers happy. Seems like the safe bet to me.
    Member of the Loyal, Mostly-Noble, Elite and Most Ancient order of the Laughing Polar Bear Cap Society.

I ask out of Ignorance, not Criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    All other things appearing rather equal, I would go for the Airhead based on the service you've received from both companies. The Airhead guy seemed much more interested in answering your question thoroughly, whereas the Natures Head guy took several days to respond with what easily seems copy and pasted.

I get the impression that the AH golfs are more interested in keeping their customers happy. Seems like the safe bet to me.
    That's my impression based on most of what I have read on the web too......better service from the Air-Heads (careful, Bob) and more professional too. Only an impression though. No detailed comparison available, though owners on both sides have reported good service. Why isn't the Consumer's Union evaluating composting marine toilets? Bunch of lubbers.

I'm leaning toward the Air Head. Mostly, as you say BBSebens, because their response above is more appropriate, and I have not found negative comments on the web (and Ian and Margo like their Air Heads too).

The AirHead people were at the Port Townsend Wood Boat Festival last September. They gave a lengthy presentation about the unit, but looking at the boats was a higher priority so I walked on by! If there is one scheduled this coming September, I plan to attend.

I think that physically examining each of the units would help in making a decision. Since both units are functionally identical, so I would want to get a sense of the construction and component quality.

Airhead has been around longer and presumably will be in business to deal with any warranty issues. The competition from Nature's head may have lit a fire under them to improve some product details. I think the Airhead looks a little better.

Still reading....here is the same thread in a parallel universe. This thread leans toward the Nature's Head.....though I think some of the older issues mentioned with the Air Head have since been addressed.....Capitalism yields better toilets!

Here is an in-dept, more technical discussion of the issue.

I'm absolutely sold on the composting toilet concept. I don't see any other option except paying for pumpout if you care about the coastal and inland waters you sail through. We are not talking about a gold-plated porta-potti here. The key is separation of liquid from solid waste. Which way you go from there.....Air Head ($1200 with solar vent), Nature's Head ($1000 with solar vent), kit ($400 with solar vent) or a completely homemade ($20?) composter, is up to how much money you want to spend vs. (relatively) how conveniently you want to deal with your waste.

Got this email today:

"We would like to respond to the postings on the Wooden Boat blog. We received the inquriy from KAIROS on May 6th. We responded that day and on the 12th received an identical email request. I forwarded the original email showing we were prompt in responding.
    We try to reply to all customers' questions and evalute any suggestions presented to us. We have made some small changes per customers suggestions and will continue to listen to customer input. Each year we contact three customers who use the toilet full time whether it is in a watercraft, RV, home, etc. We ship them a new unit at no cost and pay to ship their used unit back to us for evaluation. With heads that have been out for 2 to 3 years we have found no staining or problems with any parts or function.
    Both of us at Nature's Head are quite familar with the AH as we had the units on our sailboats several years ago and I sold a few of them. He has definitely made some design improvements recently. As one of you posted, competition does facilitate change!
    Our combined 50 years of boating and sailing have given us some insight on the problems with marine santitation. Our many years of designing and building automated manufacturing equipment has contributed to our manner of manufacturing and cost containment. Since we have multiple sets of molds and continual flow of product we are able to ship daily. Whether one unit for a RV, home, or a hundred for a goverment contract, manufacturer, or our Military we meet the demand. We are here for the future.
    We have many people who use our toilet with no fan or venting. NO odor. Our hose is smooth interior medical hose, no turbulence. Due to our deep bowl design coffee filters are not required. Our units do come with the fan, electrical cable, hose, cap, mounting brackets, Due to the many applications of our unit we do not include screws. In many applications you might need through bolting, butterfly bolts, concrete inserts, etc. Starters are not included because overseas shipments and customer preference preclude their enclosure.
    We have been manufacturing white granite since last year although some people still prefer the light gray granite. Previously we provided a 2 year warranty, which has been increased to a full 5 year warranty which also applies to previously sold units.
    We feel AH comments were inappropiate, unfounded, and unprofessional. We should keep in mind opinions are not fact! Also, we all should be careful what is posted online, it is there forever.
    We encourage anyone with any questions, concerns or comments to please contact us directly. Phone calls are welcomed.

Regards,
    Larry Stearns
    Matt Cochran
    Nature's Head Inc.
    www.natureshead.net
    sales@natureshead.net
    251-295-3043"

UNQUOTE

On second thought, it is probably asking too much to have competing companies present an objective, tempered discussion of the comparative benefits of their products .

But, I am still soliciting additional comments from buyers/users with experience with either of these composting toilets, including comments on the above posts.

Thanks.

It seems that you've gotten a few long term reviews on the Air-Head. Might be worthwhile seeing if you can find someone in the area that's had the Natures Head for while, and talk to them. NH probably has a customer list.

Or just pick one and go.
    Member of the Loyal, Mostly-Noble, Elite and Most Ancient order of the Laughing Polar Bear Cap Society.

I ask out of Ignorance, not Criticism.

As much as I hate to revive old threads, I think this one is well worth breathing life into.
    I have just purchased a Nature's Head. I am waiting for it to arrive. Having sailed, fixed and built just about everything (typical cruiser) I came to the conclusion that the type II MSD System I installed in our boat was too complex, and not going to be reliable. Having lived for years chasing the honey barge, or rationing our use until we planned to be offshore, we are done with holding tanks.
    So, simple decision, a composting toilet. I have heard of Air Head for a long time. Read about it, talked to a few who have used it, and was impressed. When we first started building our current boat, the air head was a consideration, but we decided on the more conventional system.
    I started looking for an alternative again, and while searching for info on the Air HEad, I found the Nature's Head.
    I expect to receive the Nature's Head sometime i the next week or so. I will post my thoughts at that time about the quality of the unit.
    I will say, at this time, my customer experience with my local dealer has not met my expectations, but I have high hopes that can be resolved.
    So far the Nature's Head rates:
    8 - for described design (I wish it had a separate seat and a way to close the urine bottle when not in use.
    10 - Price. Least expensive off the shelf composting toilet on the market.
    5 - Customer service specific to this dealer.

Kairos - if you are out there, what did you decide between these two units?

Because of space considerations, the Airhead is our only possible option. It is smaller in most dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by John P Lebens View Post
    Kairos - if you are out there, what did you decide between these two units? Because of space considerations, the Airhead is our only possible option. It is smaller in most dimensions.
    Hi John. Still on the fence. For some strange reason, the other projects to be done before the head project are taking longer than I had planned. In the mean time we are using a spackle bucket with one of those Gama Seal lids. We keep urine separate, and throw in a couple of cups of wood shavings after use. Compost out in the field after 2 weeks of cruising. With the lid, without liquid, and with the shavings it has no odor and is not too sickening to empty. But, when we get done with more essential projects we might consider one of these composting toilets.

kai nui.....we look forward to your evaluation. Thanks.

One stray thought - when I bought my AirHead the exhaust was a small computer fan. It's worked fine but I keep thinking of changing to a solar powered vent to seperate it from the boat's electrical system. This seems to me worth the money and if you can afford it a good idea from the start.

One stray thought - when I bought my AirHead the exhaust was a small computer fan. It's worked fine but I keep thinking of changing to a solar powered vent to seperate it from the boat's electrical system. This seems to me worth the money and if you can afford it a good idea from the start.
    Now that's a good idea. My boat came with an AirHead (installed by the previous owner within the past couple years), and most of the time the fan is off to prevent battery drain. You can get the basic Nicro solar vent fans for around (or under) $100 - watch for sales and they're often cheaper. About a month ago, I got two of their best night/day solar vent fans, which normally retail for about $160 each, for $99 each on sale. I have yet to install them. Maybe I need to get one more for the Air Head...
    - Bill T.

"How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

"Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

Quote Originally Posted by KAIROS View Post
    ...For some strange reason, the other projects to be done before the head project are taking longer than I had planned...
    Yes - my plan was to have the 5th coat of varnish on today, but I haven't lifted a brush to apply coat one. There is a good chance we are not the only wood boat owners to have gotten off schedule!

If we get around to changing ours out and the Airhead fits (it's a very tight squeeze) we will use it. I attended the seminar put on in Port Townsend last September and liked the company owner. The Airhead seems to have some design advantages. The round base makes it easier to fit into small spaces. The remote vent fan keeps it away from the contents of the toilet, the separate seat makes it a more normal toilet, etc. Often, the original design is the best design.
    Last edited by John P Lebens; 05-05-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Interested in the nuts and bolts of these heads. With the separate urine tank, I assume you just dump the pee overboard, perhaps once a day, correct?

I'm not in the market for one, but I have a question. Once it becomes full, how do you discharge the...ordures?
    1947 Nordic Folkboat "Nina"

There is a huge thread about these over at SailNet, which goes into all the details. Also, the manufacturers' respective web sites provide explanations.

I can speak only regarding the AirHead; I have no experience with the Nature's Head.

As far as the AirHead, your #1 is separated from your #2 by the design of the toilet bowl. There is a little trap door in the bottom of the bowl, operated by a lever on the side. #1 goes into a "pee bottle" mounted on the front of the device, via drain holes. If you have to do #2, you flip the lever and open the trap door, and the waste drops into the bucket.

Before starting use, you first put some compost material in the bucket. The idea is that you properly dispose of the contents of the pee bottle upon returning to land by pouring it down a toilet (or, as suggested above, you could pour it over the side, which I'm betting the USCG/EPA would argue is illegal), and the contents of the #2 bucket compost, because you've kept the #1 out of it. If you've got it set up right, it actually composts pretty quickly.

I don't think it's a solution that would work well for a full-time live-aboard or for very long cruises, but for a typical family pleasure boat, that sees use only a couple days per month and spends most of its time just sitting in the slip unused, it works. At the end of the season, you lift out the #2 bucket. After composting, the stuff basically is very much like soil, not like poo, and you can either dump the contents into a trash bag and trash it, or apply it to the ground. I've read of some people tilling it into their yard or garden soil, but I would not advise that, particularly in a vegetable garden. I would just dump it into a plastic trash bag, tie it up tightly and put it in the trash, or dump it in the woods.

There are pros and cons, just as there are with a holding tank. It's not for everyone, but I like the simplicity and reliability of it - no need to worry about pumps failing, hoses or tanks leaking, getting pumped out, whatever. It's very unlikely I'll ever take a very long cruise in this boat anyhow, and if I do go for a few days, I have the advantage of being male and able to pee over the rail, so the pee bottle doesn't fill up so quickly.
    - Bill T.

Those little round solar vent thingies don't move much air. I've used computer fans for various things— most are 12 volt. You can get a cheap 5-10 watt PV panel, wire the fan directly to it, and save the expense (and another hole to cut) of a solar vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Those little round solar vent thingies don't move much air. I've used computer fans for various things— most are 12 volt. You can get a cheap 5-10 watt PV panel, wire the fan directly to it, and save the expense (and another hole to cut) of a solar vent.
    I've just bought precisely that ,a 5w 12v panel to power a 12v computer fan on a shore side composting toilet .It cost $30 on Ebay.
    Try to work out what the marketing guy wants you to do then do precisely the opposite.

Chip-skiff - thanks for the thought. I'd been under the impression that they moved a lot of air and that the airhead guy liked them but did not provide as it added over $100 to the total price. I'll do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Those little round solar vent thingies don't move much air.
    I presume Ian was referring to the solar vents that have a powered fan inside, not just a passive vent. Depending on which model you select, the Nicro day/night vents are rated at between 600 and 800 cubic feet per hour. That certainly seems to me to be moving much more air than the tiny little fan that comes with the AirHead.

Plus you don't need to move massive amounts of air anyhow - you just need a slight negative pressure. All it has to do is pull a little bit to draw air through the "bucket", to help in keeping odors down (it doesn't really smell anyhow) and help dry out the contents.
    - Bill T.

I did mean the solar/batt powered unit.

I'll second the Sailnet reference. There is a lot of discussion there about composting toilets in general.

There are a lot of "lookers" interested in the idea, and there don't seem to be many actual users commenting on the technology.

Still, the users who do comment are almost universally positive about these devices.

Who on this thread are actual owners? If you are an owner, do you recommend these things?

In my experience the solids tank needs emptying once a year if you have one person living aboard and occasional guests, or a couple to small family that cruises very activly each season weekend with perhaps a week or so constant cruise. Unless there is a considerable time after the last use, you'll need to set the compost aside to mature for another season before it goes on your garden. The toilette paper and coffee filters don't compost as readily so it's well to plan around any aesthetic issues on that matter.

The urine tank is more of a pain. It's a bit on the small side. I does not fill up so fast with just guys around (Duh) but if you have a crew of beer drinking women . . . . You'll be pouring out pee at least daily.

There is some debate as to whether dumping just urine actually violates any laws. Most jurisdictions think so and the issue has not been litigated. Urine in a dispersed application is not a problem and many folk ashore cast it on the fields, but concentrated it can cause too much nitrogen in an ecosystem. So if you just pour it overboard, you might be breaking a law and you might be (especially in an enclosed water) be causing an over-nutrient problem. Further, most shore facilities and marinas are unenthused, to say the least, about disposal through their system, not that a couple gallons seems a big deal to me.

In short, the urine-fecal seperation that is the big selling point for the AirHead since that makes the compost go off stink free, but it's also urine disposal that's the real achillies heel.

Quote Originally Posted by John P Lebens View Post
    Who on this thread are actual owners? If you are an owner, do you recommend these things?
    I have one. The previous owner took out the old MSD and replaced it with the AirHead.

As I just bought the boat in August of last year, I haven't had as much experience with it as Ian has had with his, but I do think I like it better than a traditional holding tank.

My boat is a 1968 Pearson Wanderer, and I've been doing a lot of work on it for the past couple months. One big project is the replacement of the entire cabin sole and floor timbers. I spent all day yesterday crawling around on my hands and knees, and one of the last things I did yesterday was to take an angle grinder with a twisted wire wheel to the inside of the hull to clean it and scuff it up a bit in prep for painting it with Bilgekote (hopefully next weekend). I could tell where the holding tank used to be, and where it leaked into the bilge. P.U. and yuck.

I had pulled the entire AirHead unit out of the boat about a month or more ago and brought it home so I could empty it and clean the whole thing. The last time anyone used it would have been in November. I just dumped the solids into a trash bag - it really was just like soil or peat. No real odor, other than what dry compost smells like. Some of the paper had not composted, but you can't be squeamish when dealing with a marine head, that's for sure.

I like not having two extra through-hulls - I removed them and had the holes professionally glassed over. You can't even tell where they were.

I think any of the various options and pluses and minuses. It depends on personal preference and how you use your boat - e.g., long-distance cruising for weeks at a time versus a weekend or two each month. So far, I like it. As Ian mentioned, the original pee bottle is a little small, but the manufacturer came out with a larger-capacity bottle that will fit the original unit. I haven't yet bothered to buy one, but they do recommend having two so that if one fills up, you can cap it and switch them out. We've had ours fill up only once, and I just quietly poured it over the side. As far as I'm concerned, that is the nastiest job.

As Ian also observes, if it's just guys on board, you can get away without using the pee bottle at all, pretty much.

And there's always "that bucket" as backup...
    - Bill T.

OK. Nature's Head received. I am impressed at the quality and the design.
    A few things that have been mentioned since my last post. First, the solar vent. I like the idea, and am planning on it, however, the dealer I purchased from insisted it was a waste of money as computer fans hardly draw anything. I strongly disagree, but then, I have been living aboard and cruising off and on for the past 13 years, so electricity is something I put high value on.
    As far as how it functions, the solids and liquids are separated. The solids tank is sizable. My guess is with two of us using the head full time we will get 2-3 months between having to empty the solids.
    The liquid tank is 2.2 gallons. This should last the two of us about 2-3 days between empty's. We can carry it up to the marina head to dump it. A larger container would be less convenient to carry up and dump, as well as more conspicuous.
    The shape of the seat is more comfortable than I expected, and will not be an issue to get used to.
    Our boat is a Piver trimaran, so weight is a real concern. This unit weighs 29 pounds. Our traditional marine toilet, Lectra San, 9 gallon holding tank, and misc hoses and fittings weigh allot more than that. Especially when the holding tank is full.
    Another difference that sold me on this toilet over the AirHead was the bowl design. As I understand it, you have to sit to pee in the AirHead. You do not have to sit with the Nature's Head. And then there are the coffee filters. The AirHead requires use of coffee filter looking things for solids. To me this means two things. The inconvenience of having to carry yet another consumable on the boat, and, the need to plan ahead when you sit down. Not so much a problem for me, but for some it is an issue.
    I am also looking forward to eliminating a few more holes below the waterline.
    Stay tuned for the install and a few photos.
    I will add, my previous rating still stands, except for customer service. Brief description, I was unhappy with the shipping details. I also felt the payment details with this specific dealer were a bit sketchy. I described my concerns to this dealer, and my extreme dissatisfaction with the communication. The response was less than acceptable, but was shared with the manufacturer. Not only have I received no further response from the dealer, but I have received nothing from the manufacturer. This seems in line with the slow response, and, the attitude expressed in that response to the inquiry that started this thread. With that said, I believe AirHead has far superior customer service. I do feel Nature's Head is the superior design, but so far their customer service is terrible.
    Last edited by kai nui; 05-10-2011 at 11:00 PM.

I don't know about Nature's Head but something I've mentioned with the AirHead: Your pile lands on a coffee filter sitting atop the trap door. Now, you could flip the lever that drops the mess into the tank before you wipe, but if you don't, be prepared to lift your cheeks a bit. The verticle space is limited and your hand could get soiled . . .

The Nature's Head is used with the trap door open. That is the main difference in the bowl design.

Ah, I wondered. Does it still assure urine seperation if you happen do be doing both?