Thread: Make & Break Engines

Default Make & Break Engines

I am interesteed in finding an Acadia Marine Engine. Preferably a 6 or 61/2 HP single cylinder. Also would like to have the propeller haul-up. I am in the PNW, Bellingham area. Have seen them on occasion advertised in the Wooden Boat Classified some number of years ago.

Default Re: Make & Break Engines

If you want an Acadia, ask the Acadians. I have seen them in good number in Nova Scotia, some in use running boat hauling winches, some other shoving boats around in the water.
    I doubt that this will help you too much, however, but you might try craigslisting Halifax and working a deal.

There's an Old Marine Engines site on the web somewhere. These guys collect and restore old engines, including Acadias, which are no longer made, IIRC.

Will

I grew up three blocks from the Acadia Gas Engines plant. I have fond memories of spending many hours in the foundry watching them prepare the molds and pouring the molten metal. The machine shop was pretty cool too, but I was rarely allowed in there because of the danger from the open belt-drive tools.

Not many of the engnes left in good shape, but there are a few. Google is your friend. There's an old guy in Bayport - halfway between Lunenburg & Riverport - who restores the engines. If I can recall his name I'll post it for you as a contact.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Thank you all! The search goes on!

Obviously not a make & break engine, with the magneto sitting right in front of the camera but you might like to take a look at the re-christening of my old 3 1.2 hp 1930's engine....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lJTHn2EMEQ

(no - it isn't for sale)

I picked it up from an advertisement in an old machinery magazine we have down here. I don't know what you have in that regard over there.... but I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar.
    Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by geraldj View Post
    I am interesteed in finding an Acadia Marine Engine. Preferably a 6 or 61/2 HP single cylinder. Also would like to have the propeller haul-up. I am in the PNW, Bellingham area. Have seen them on occasion advertised in the Wooden Boat Classified some number of years ago.
    Hello geraldj
    I have a 5 hp Acadia that is still on the factory skids. It was in an old hardware store on the eastern shore of Md. it was never sold and I bought
    it at a dipersal sale.I have had it for 40 years.I moved to Cody Wy. in 87 and brought it with me.I have decided to downsize.
    Alan Lovelace 189 Southfork rd. Cody Wy. 82414 307-587-2094

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lovelace View Post
    Hello geraldj
    I have a 5 hp Acadia that is still on the factory skids. It was in an old hardware store on the eastern shore of Md. it was never sold and I bought
    it at a dipersal sale.I have had it for 40 years.I moved to Cody Wy. in 87 and brought it with me.I have decided to downsize.
    Alan Lovelace 189 Southfork rd. Cody Wy. 82414 307-587-2094
    Truly amazing! Who'd a thunk there'd be a brand new Acadia on the factory skids in Cody WY? Wow! Talk about a "barn find."

Wow! That would be something I'd jump on if I didn't have a long list of stuff of my own. I don't think you'll have any problem finding a good new home.

This boat was built around this engine The 6hp Atlantic engine was found never installed somewhere in Ontario, similarly on it's factory beds. The boat is the Danish Seine Boat from Christian Neilsen's Wooden Boat Designs, with "hunter cabin".

You might have better luck finding an Easthope out here on the west coast. There used to be tons of them around.

And, who’d have guessed someone would immortalize them in song!

Stan Rogers. Make and Break Harbor.

For we still keep our time to the turn of the tide
    In this boat that I built with my father
    Still lifts to the sky, "One Lunger" and I
    Still talk like old friends on the water

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    The 6hp Atlantic engine was found never installed somewhere in Ontario, similarly on it's factory beds.
    Can't help being enthralled by the mechanical detailing and craftsmanship on these. For a while my grandfather got Gas Engine Magazine and I used to look through them when I visited, wonder if that might be a good resource, looks like they're still around...http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/

Are you thinking of a Dispro type boat hull? They used to make them just across the Sound from you (well, sort of) in Poulsbo.

I see a lot of basket case old make and breaks down here. Most are ruined with salt damaged water jackets. When you see a decent one the price is ridiculous, a lot of nostalgia, everyone wants one.
    I see much better prices and no salt damage from motors that have lived in and around the Great Lakes.

Here's another site www.smokstack.com click on forums and go to marine engines

If you are looking for anything like that in Nova Scotia you should try kijiji as well as Craigs List ... there is usually a display of these at our Summer fair . If you have not found anything by then I will look for some cards for you if you like !

Lifer
    Just a guy hacking up wood .... making a boat