Thread: scow plans

Default scow plans

While trying to get over the effects of the last winter my mind turned to boatbuilding, natch! After googling around for a few weeks I have taken a side interest in small sailing scows.
    With this thought in mind is anyone aware of any easy (plywood) to build plans for a sailing scow in the 18 to 20 foot range? I would prefer something not decked over with just a footwell. I like to sit down in my vessel with the sides as a backrest.
    Also I have 2 extra sail rigs from a small 11 foot sailboat. (bear with me here-alzimers-I can't remember their name-11 ft, styrofoam hull with plastic outer shell, lateen rig, remember them?) anyhow I would use either of these extra sail rigs on the scow. It would be underpowered but I don't care. Once I pull away from the dock I am where I want to be. And something else to ponder-I am partial to those old type plans from Popular Mechanics or that sort.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Default Re: scow plans

Hmm, a vessel that would legitimately be categorized as a scow that had enough freeboard to provide a get-down-inside-it cockpit would be an interesting craft in an 18 foot incarnation. Most scows I've ever seen are necessarily of low freeboard, particularly in the popular one design classes. That's kind of a defining characteristic of the type from what I know. There are scads of scow classes in the US, from 18 foot Y-Flyers to 38 foot A-Scows and many more. My family raced a Y-Flyer in the late sixties when we lived in St. Louis Mo. Extremely exciting boats. My father built ours in our garage, and as we were anything but wealthy at the time, and he had it in the water in about six months, I'd say a Y is neither expensive nor complex. Good hunting.
    Chuck Hancock

Maybe my definition overlaps some design criteria. Here is something similar to what I was thinking about. But bigger of course. I'm 225 lbs and 6 ft., need a little more displacement in the boat. :^)

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/scow/scow11.htm

Perhaps I should have stated...'scow shaped hull...'?
    Last edited by aeronca52; 04-23-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Sam Devlin has one. Just under 20 feet.

http://www.devlinboat.com/lichen.php

Those are both really nice boats, guys, thank you for the thoughts, but I want something simpler, just for lake sailing. No cabin for sure. They are just too much boat for me.
    Like my wife says 'There's just no way to please you'.

What you are describing is a sailing garvey. There are several in Howard Chapelle's _American Small sailing Craft_, and Jim Michalak has a couple of simplified stitch and glue versions among his plans. Look at his deansboat and sneaker box designs, among others.

Bob

there were Gavin Atkins site that have a few scow plans
    save a nose, pick a banjo

Aeronca52 check your PMs

The sails you have are from a Snark. They are , most likely, 55 sq. ft. Kind of small for a boat approaching 20 feet. In light air it might be so slow it wouldn't tack and you would have to row home.

Geezus Steve (Lewisboats),
    I plumb forgotten about your site.. I downloaded a Scow plan long ago.. I just can't remember who did I got it from.. I'll have to dig it up here and find out..

Ah haaaa.... I found it... good scow plan site...
    http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/scow/scow0.htm

Check out those hyperlinks within the site mentioned above.. quite a few plans...

There's nothing that says you can't build Devlin's design or the Pelican as an open boat.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Sam Devlin has one. Just under 20 feet.

http://www.devlinboat.com/lichen.php
    I really like this thing. Very cool.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Rock View Post
    Hmm, a vessel that would legitimately be categorized as a scow that had enough freeboard to provide a get-down-inside-it cockpit would be an interesting craft in an 18 foot incarnation. Most scows I've ever seen are necessarily of low freeboard, particularly in the popular one design classes. That's kind of a defining characteristic of the type from what I know. There are scads of scow classes in the US, from 18 foot Y-Flyers to 38 foot A-Scows and many more. My family raced a Y-Flyer in the late sixties when we lived in St. Louis Mo. Extremely exciting boats. My father built ours in our garage, and as we were anything but wealthy at the time, and he had it in the water in about six months, I'd say a Y is neither expensive nor complex. Good hunting.
    Once one of those scows gets water in it it will get very unstable, and if it turns over you will never get it righted. That is why a cabin would be essential as far as I am concerned.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

a sailing scow is a real performer, take a look at the E class scow website.
    what your looking for is more a party barge with sails!

We had hay barges around Newbury during the 1800's I think a boat modeled on one of these would be lots of fun 25-30' long open boats with a modest lateen sail, very low freeboard so you could swim right off the boat, shallow draft, just a few inches to slide over mud flats or put the bow right up on the beach while the boats still floating!

Seeing as box boats are kinda my thing...I couldn't resist interpreting his wants...maybe I came close.
    LOA: 19'1"
    Beam: 66"
    Waterline beam: 57"
    Hull Draft: 4"
    Displacement at 4" Draft: 915lbs
    Total height: 26" (bottom most point of hull to top of deck crown)
    Height of side deck at mid cockpit: 18"
    Max width of cockpit: 51"
    Max length of cockpit: 12.5 ft (Lots of room to play with)

You're gonna want a bigger sail than that dinky little handkerchief though...just as soon as you get on the water in anything under an 18-20 kt wind. I would start at around 135 sf or so with 2 reefs.

Too bad she ain't the prettiest thing in the world but all criteria are met I think. Looks like a Duckboat kinda sorta or Sneakbox maybe
    Last edited by Lewisboats; 04-24-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Ask Chuck (aka Paladin) about his Chelaydra, a modified Great Pelican. I'm sure you could leave the cabin off with minimal reworking of the framing.

Lewisboats....
    Let alone lookin' like a sneakboat... looks more like a lady's slipper..
    Who knows.. it may be a good boat afterall..

Size 2 if you please...Thanks for naming it...Slipper19

Give it a raised cabin sole at about 6"-8" and it would be self draining. A collapsing sunbrella top to keep the dew off and it would be nice to sleep in.

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    Once one of those scows gets water in it it will get very unstable, and if it turns over you will never get it righted...

You ain't kiddin'. Y-Flyers are a comparatively high performance, one design racer. However, their natural habitat is inland lakes and rivers, so concerns about them shipping inordinate amounts of water are mitigated by the relatively sheltered waters they sail upon. All Y's I ever saw, ours included, had very effective self bailers in the bottoms. Taking on water was never a concern. Turning turtle, however, was something that was never far from my mind. As a six or seven year old bundle of moveable ballast, I was ever mindful of this as we routinely heeled, blazing along close hauled. There was always a dedicated power boat on hand at the regattas to tow back to shore those unfortunates that 'overreached' on a reach. Built in floatation and predominantly wood construction at the time meant sinking was never a risk, but Oh! the ignominity of it all!
    Chuck Hancock

Lewisboats,
    I like the look of your sketch. It's also very "Garvey-ish" to me, which I thinks is great. A sailing garvey sounds like a crackerjack toy. With a combing/splash guard around the cockpit you'd get addtional back support and protection in one shot. How about leeboards just for something different?
    Chuck Hancock

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
    I have taken a side interest in small sailing scows.....
    I like to sit down in my vessel with the sides as a backrest....
    Also I have 2 extra sail rigs from a small 11 foot sailboat.....
    Any thoughts or ideas?
    I realise you mean US type Scows but how about one of our UK south coast type Scows. Your rig will fit perfectly and they are terrific little boats, and comfy.

Plans from Selway Fisher. The nice thing is that the lines are genuine local Scow lines. They were drawn to replace an old rotten hull, so they are the real thing. These little boats are raced and pottered all along the South Coast.

in build

and finished out sailing.

http://www.selway-fisher.com/Other1013.htm

Brian

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

How about a stretched Herreschoff pram?

Herreschoff looks really nice. Reminded me of Vivier's Seil.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Lewisboats View Post
    Size 2 if you please...Thanks for naming it...Slipper19
    There ya goes... that fits very well..

Added 3" combing around the cockpit...looks a bit more boaty...or not. Plenty of room for a leeboard or two...lots of easy curve on the side for correct positioning. A single deep pivoting leeboard would work fine...as well as a pair of shallower ones. Depends on how many strings you want to pull.

Last edited by Lewisboats; 04-25-2010 at 06:28 AM.

That looking good Steve..

Thanks for all the replies folks! Many cups of coffee used to look everything over.
    GARVEY is the correct term I guess for what I was looking for. Thought this would be simple but now so much more to think about. But it's so much fun! And Steve, thanks for the study plans. Looks nicely garvey/boaty at the same time.

The quest continues.....
    Jim

PS Now that I think about it the old SBJ once had an article about someone building a New Jersey sailing garvey. Up to the attic to find it.....
    Last edited by aeronca52; 04-25-2010 at 10:26 PM.

http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Check this thread for a great messabout scow.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...85#post2093985

You could run both those rigs on it.
    A l'eau! C'est l'heure!

Buchie

The Bolger Brick Schooner! What a great idea. Break down to transport (do they nest?) Easier to store. Two rigs/two boats, break apart and sail in formation with the kids, put together and sail home. And the best part-I could build both hulls and maybe convince my wife it's all the same one. That is till we pack up for the lake and she sees both at the same time. But then it's too late, the deed is done.
    I'm fired up, gotta go and find Dynamite's address!