New oarlock bases / pads for Cosine Wherry
I finally got around to building new oarlock pads for the Cosine Wherry, and replaced the center thwart's SB bases with a potmetal pair I had kicking around that have the nylon bushings for a MUCH tighter fit. The slop I was getting with the SB Douglas locks was driving me mad, and the squeaking (when I forgot to oil 'em) drove anyone within earshot even madder.
The old ones were too low, even when using a low-profile gel cushion on long rows. And they weren't attached well to the blocks between the inwale and outwale, with the portside center thwart one pulling off during my recent row along the SF waterfront.
Made the front thwart's bases first, using some VG DG handrail pieces I had in the shop, then was unable to match them with wood from several local lumberyards, MacBeath Hardwoods and even the building recycling place in Berkeley.
So I went with some ash that was also left over from building a tiller some years ago, and it matches the yellow cedar of the boat much better than the DF - and is lighter, too.
Used PL Premium to glue the oarlock pads to the inwale/outwale, the gaps of which which I'd filled earlier with blocks also glued in with PL Premium. Then two sets of screws (I know, I should use bolts and washers!!) through the oarlock pads into those blocks which should hold the whole thing on pretty well no matter how hard I row.
Not totally pleased with the final shape and somewhat sloppy glueline but there ya go...
Last edited by Thorne; 04-10-2010 at 08:38 PM.
"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.