Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Something New, & the WOOD Regatta

Default Re: Something New, & the WOOD Regatta

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Genther View Post
    As an update: the RHYC is currently putting together a committee to plan, promote, and manage the regatta. It will probably be handled somewhat on the lines of the 2009 Junior Olympics that were hald there with well over 100 boats racing. There are two electric lifts, each with a capacity of 1/2 ton, plus a large beach for launching. There are two marinas with a mile of the club, each with the ability to launch boats of over 30 tons. The cluhouse has a restaurant, a lounge and a bar. There is also a pool and a pavillion on the grounds. Also plenty of space for parking and camping.

The town of Rock Hall is a couple of miles away. It has a couple of motels, several B&Bs, shops, a bunch of restaurants and many marinas for anybody arriving via larger boat who many want to attend the event.

BTW it appears we will be bringing our wood Comet, uness we get "voluntered" to be a committe boat in one of our wood power boats.
    Dale -- Don't get volunteered! It will be great to have you and your Comet.

Best wishes to you, Carl

Easy jaunt across the Bay (5mi?) but a longer way up the Chester River. Th eregatta will actually not be in Rock hall, rather at the back of Rock Hall, way up the Chester River (12mi?) in a large area of the river - a beautiful place to sail!
    I'm sure we can help with towing if Gibson Island launching is done

Mickey, To best answer your question I'd need to know which boat you are planning on bringing and if it will have some form of auxiliary power.

Since we run a couple of small marinas in Rock Hall Harbor we can help with some logistical issues by having a "base" a few land miles from the RHYC with easy access to the bay, marine facitities, and deep water slips.

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Genther; 12-21-2010 at 12:33 PM.

I was thinking about bring my Fish class sloop (that I haven't actually bought yet). It's 21' long and weighs 1500 pounds. Gaff rigged. Same sail area as a Star. It is a class we have had here since around 1920. The boat I am interested in was built in the 1950's.

No auxilliary, and no way to make up 12 miles of river. I will follow the thread, but don't anticipate showing up with a Fish if this is the case. I may very well show up to watch, and can crew if someone needs a person my size. I might drag the Penguin up with me just for the heck of it. Maybe do a little sailing.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Mickey -- The Penguin would be perfect for the WOOD Regatta. Just get her down to ~ 600 grit.

Mickey - There are quite a few Penguins around here.

Penguins are great, but there are few Penguin sailors my size (265 pounds and 6'1"). I am thinking about changing some of the stuff around for singlehanding, but now that I've got the boat I have been thinking of it as a kid for my future grandkids.

Dale, I bought this boat in Annapolis, about two or three miles from the bridge to the eastern shore.

Mickey Lake

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Dale, I bought this boat in Annapolis, about two or three miles from the bridge to the eastern shore.

Mickey Lake
    I wonder if it's the one I sold to a guy right around there! Is/was it white with a steel reinforcing plate along a check in the keelson?

I don't think so, Dave. This is a 6600 number boat built by a shop in Wisconsin. I can't remember the name off the top of my head but when I had my first Windmill I bought a blade and rudder from him. Beautiful pieces of work. A lot prettier than the boat I had (an old glassfibre Newport hull). Rhinelander, Wisconsin? Does that ring a bell?

I need to re-do the rails on my Penguin but other than that it's in great shape. I want to move the thwart forward a wee bit for balance and run the halyard back to the aft end of the centerboard trunk. Just small things like that. I also need to get some bags for it if I plan on sailing it much, or before any little kids use it. It is a neat little boat. iirc I paid $800 for it, with a really cool old trailer.

Mickey Lake

Carl, TPrice mentioned that the sail racing venue will be on the Chester River, located some distance from Rock Hall. I'm looking at a map, where is the nearest town that would be close to the racing venue? Please explain the location of Rock Hall YC (hq for the WOOD regatta) vs. the racing venue, if not located nearby, what will be the best choice for storing/mooring the boats and getting from one area to another? Also, maybe accomodations will be more convenient in say, Chestertown or where?

Thanks, JDR. I'm not quite sure where we'll be racing. Anyone from Rock Hall YC who can answer this?

I'd agree with you re: Chestertown, but I've never been to either place. Thanks to Tm Price, there MAY be accommodations available at nearby Washington College. I should know in the next couple of weeks, and will pass along.

Here is a list of accommodations that RHYC used for the Juniors, but I have made no such arrangements yet. And the pricing may not be similar:

http://www.rockhallyachtclub.org/jo/lodging.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    I don't think so, Dave. This is a 6600 number boat built by a shop in Wisconsin.
    Mickey Lake
    Right. Mine was built by Beaton's and I think the sail # was in the 5000s.

As it hasn't been clearly explained, let me clarify. The regatta is not at the town of Rock Hall (just off the Chesapeake Bay). It is on the Chester River, at the Rock Hall YC.
    Rock Hall (the town) is actually quite close by land but it's a long way around Swan Point and up the Chester to the Rock Hall YC. The Chester R. is a lovely river on the Eastern Shore of Md. and where the YC is, the river divides and is very wide. The Club is very nice, with a broad lawn, casual, comfortable house and dinghy type launching.
    I'm disappointed to see that the LOA limit includes bowsprit, etc. That excludes the 28' LOD Sandbaggers, Bull and Bear, which we may bring over anyway for the occasion.
    Sounds like a great event and this is a wonderful time to sail on the Chesapeake.

The sailing venue is a relatively short sail (a little over a mile or so) right off of the club site. The club is near the cross-roads of Crosby, Md. If you check Mapquest for "Rock Hall Yacht Club, near Crosby, Md." you will get an idea. I am a club member and have raced there dozens of times. Small boats, like Shellbacks, could race closer to the club, but most will normally be out in Langford Bay (as Tom said, a wide area of the Chester River). In a typical regatta, you have to plan on spending around 5 or 6 hrs. on the water each day as there is not enough time to sail back to the club for lunch and then go out again.

Frank
    Wayfarer 8705

Thanks, Tom and Frank. That helps a lot.

OK, Tom. I've changed the LOA to 30' EX-bowsprit. We'd love to have Bull and Bear. It might take a day or two to have the pdf on the website changed (www.woodenboat.com/woodregatta.php) but I have changed it on the NOR thread.

My best wishes, Carl

Ha! That was easy!
    There is a fairly active Classic Moth class locally (not the foiler types) that is interested in coming.
    Frank - I was sailing that A scow (poorly) in the Downriver Race (Chestertown to Rock Hall YC) last summer. Were you there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Cramer View Post
    Thanks, Tom and Frank. That helps a lot.

OK, Tom. I've changed the LOA to 30' EX-bowsprit. We'd love to have Bull and Bear. It might take a day or two to have the pdf on the website changed (www.woodenboat.com/woodregatta.php) but I have changed it on the NOR thread.

My best wishes, Carl
    Last edited by tprice; 01-03-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks, Tom. No, I believe Frank was getting beaten by me in Eggemoggin Reach Regatta at that time.

Yes, Tom, I was in the Down River Race (on June 11, to refresh Carl's memory) with my just-finished wooden Wayfarer. It was the same boat Dave saw when we met at a rest stop on Rt. 95 when I traveled from Brooklin to Chestertown in April. We were ahead of the A-Scow and the other Wayfarers in the light air early in the race, but we did not do as well when the breeze picked up. And I recall well how fast you accelerated in the fresh air.

In spite of my efforts to be a gentleman and not rub it in when Carl finished several minutes behind WindSprite on a boat-for-boat basis in the 2010 ERR (even though a 210 has a 25 per cent longer LWL), it is true his corrected time gave him a slight edge. Because of a 1st and 2nd in previous years, our newly elevated handicap required that we give time to virtually every boat in the race. Based on our previous handicap, or boat-for-boat, or PHRF ratings, Carl was where he belonged - well behind WindSprite.

Frank

Yeah, those ERR penalties for doing well in previous years are harsh... but it doesn't keep people away so it's okay in the end.

Harsh indeed. Frank, your boat is beautiful, and is beautifully sailed. But I know you'd have no respect for me if I didn't point out ERR...

Tom, any spare 210s Brion and I could charter for the WOOD Regatta?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Cramer View Post
    Harsh indeed. Frank, your boat is beautiful, and is beautifully sailed. But I know you'd have no respect for me if I didn't point out ERR...

Tom, any spare 210s Brion and I could charter for the WOOD Regatta?
    We have our annual 210 fleet lunch this Sat and I'll see what interest there is. My guess is that we can have a wood boat for you. Then there's that red one with a hole in it.....

Thanks to TPrice and Frank Pedersen for clarifying the Rock Hall YC location and sailing venue.

Accommodations at Washington College would be outstanding! Their Starr center is a great resource and if there's a rainy day....

http://starrcenter.washcoll.edu/

Unfortunately, Commencement Weekend for Washington College in Chestertown is May 19-22. That will create a crunch for accommodations and almost certainly rule out staying at the college. Our house is on the small size too.

Frank