Thread: Freeship- getting sucked in

Default Freeship- getting sucked in

Now that I've figured out that I can import designs done the way I'm used to into Freeship, I'm getting kind of addicted to it. It took just 30 seconds to click the chines for Barbara's dory into non-crease curves and produce a set of lines for a nice little round bottom dinghy. I think she would be the cat's pajamas built sort of like the Yawldory with a glassed strip plank bottom like a stripper canoe and lapstrake topsides.

The bottom would take a lot of abuse and she would still have the lapstrake look. The subtle bottom flat will let her sit nicely on a beach but without corners that would be more vulnerable to rock damage.
    Roger Long

Default Re: Freeship- getting sucked in

Lovely.

I am unfamiliar with the software and have questions: can one input traditional offsets? and can one do stability curves efficiently? I am particularly interested in designing/ analyzing the flotation chambers of an open sailboat to make it reasonably recoverable from a knockdown or turtled position. Also, The Soundforge download site for Freeship appears to have it's last update in 2006, is this supported or updated at all? I would just try it, but I am on a Mac, and need to decide whether I am going to get myself a PC or a PC partition on this machine.. Thanks for your thoughts..

You can download delftshipfree from the Delftship homepage.

It has an "Import offsets" option under the file menu
    Ragnar B.

How is the learning curve for getting Delftship to do stability calculations on knockdown or turtled situations?

Quote Originally Posted by mizzenman View Post
    You can download delftshipfree from the Delftship homepage. It has an "Import offsets" option under the file menu
    You will have to upgrade to Delftship Pro for about $300 to be able to export your work to CAD or other files in a form you can use and take dimensions from. Freeship is an older version that I'm sure Delftship would like to forget now because it does the exports. It's still available for download at various places on the net.

The programs are very sophisticated in terms of stability and hydrostatics. However, they designed primarily with the thought that you will design the boat in them. Importing is clumsy and requires a lot of manipulation of text files into the proper format. I wouldn't consider it practical without a full CAD program and the methods I've developed to semi automate creating lists of offsets of various lines. I go back and forth between the design in CAD and the Freeship program. If you aren't very proficient in CAD, I think you will have a very hard time importing something existing. A couple people volunteered to import one of my hulls for the learning experience before I started working with the program and I never heard back from them. Now that I've learned how to do it, I know why
    Roger Long

I didnt know that Roger. I haven't gotten around to test all the functions in delftfree

I've still got freeship on my old laptop
    Ragnar B.

Quote Originally Posted by kbowen View Post
    I am unfamiliar with the software and have questions: can one input traditional offsets? and can one do stability curves efficiently? I am particularly interested in designing/ analyzing the flotation chambers of an open sailboat to make it reasonably recoverable from a knockdown or turtled position. Also, The Soundforge download site for Freeship appears to have it's last update in 2006, is this supported or updated at all? I would just try it, but I am on a Mac, and need to decide whether I am going to get myself a PC or a PC partition on this machine.. Thanks for your thoughts..
    How old is your Mac? If it is Intel-based, then you can run a program called Winebottler (http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/) and run it under OS X. This doesn't work perfectly (it is possible to "lose" popup windows), but it does work adequately. I will defer to others more knowledgeable on boat design to answer the other questions.

I was able to plug in the hull shape for the boat I am building and get some idea of what she looks like (http://donumvitae.wordpress.com/2010...rtual-reality/).
    God bless!
    Wayne
    Currently sailing a Welsford designed Navigator at donumvitae.wordpress.com.

An alternative is Free!Ship Plus, which is a development of the original FreeShip. More information about it can be found at http://freeship-plus.land.ru/indexEN.html I downloaded it and started it, but haven't done anything else. It exports to several formats and has analysis features.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
    Importing is clumsy and requires a lot of manipulation of text files into the proper format.)
    Because importing from offsets is so awkward, I generally prefer to sketch the model over background images scanned from a linesplan, as described in this old thread: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ight=DELFTship

Oh I am having fun getting sucked in too. I just wanted to throw a couple of "slab sided" models together with my grandson so I started playing with it just to get a grasp of the relationship of the shape of the boat to the shape of the panels. Here are a couple of screen captures of a skiff and a peroge (sp).

Last edited by Puddle_Pirate; 01-03-2011 at 08:58 AM.
    Pirate of the Appalachians.

I believe Freeship 2.6 is the last one by the original dutch author. He frequently offered support on boatdesign.net. You can search there for answers to Freeship questions.

Importing offsets works fine but it is counter-intuitive to say the least. I find it useful to copy the traditional offset table into an excel spreadsheet, then make new tables as I translate into decimal feet and then transform the matrix into Freeship format. Save that as a text file and suck into Freeship.

A neat feature is the ability to print patterns for the 2-D shapes of 3-D developable surfaces. I just tried this out building boat shaped toybox for my new grandson. It's a hard chine design with seven lapstrake planks per side. The FreeShip plank patterns fit great. Being able to skip the plank pattern making step would save a lot of time building a lapstrake boat. You can see the patterns in Puddle Pirate's screen shots above.

If you download FreeShip be sure to get the tutorial too.

Note: The weights shown are in long tons, 2,240 lbs.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

This is fun:

Last edited by Roger Long; 01-04-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Roger Long

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
    This is fun
    Slick. How did you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
    How did you do it?
    "PrtScn" key and Paint Shop Animation Pro.
    Roger Long