• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carl Cramer
    Ancient Member
    • Jan 2004

Re: Something New, & the WOOD Regatta

More info:

* Aluminum spars are permitted (of course), as well as wood. But no other materials.

Here are max dimensions for your consideration. I've added a 10' max LOA at the moment.

Max LOA 10' 12' 14' 16' 18' 20'

Max Beam 4' 5' 6' 6'6” 7'6” 8'6”

Max top of mast to
    bottom of cb, db,
    keel 17'6” 21' 24' 27'6” 31' 34'

I'm undecided so far about trapeze(s). Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Carl Cramer; 03-23-2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• DGentry
      • Apr 2007

I'm undecided so far about trapeze(s). Any thoughts?
      Fast is fun. Traps are fun. Yes, please.

LOA includes rudders? If so, that's adding a lot of complexity to hang rudders under the hulls . . . perhaps discouraging some potential builders.

What if your gaff/upper spar/gunter/whatever, sticks up higher than the mast. I'm just thinking about traditional/inexpensive rigs, like lateens or many lug rigs, etc. Take Romilly, for example:

I'm all for the box rule idea, but I want to be able to experiment, too!

Dave Gentry
      Boat plans and kits:
      http://www.GentryCustomBoats.com

Comment

• Tom Lathrop
        • Dec 1999

Carl,

Rock Hall is nice but shore and launching facilities may be a problem. St Michaels would require cooperation of the Museum for facilities and launching is limited. The Rock Hall Yacht Club is across the peninsula and the sailing area would be the Chester River which is plenty big. The club is very friendly and has lots of open space. Perhaps they would be receptive to hosting.
        Tom L

Comment

• Carl Cramer
          Ancient Member
          • Jan 2004

Thanks, Tom. Yes, Rock Hall Yacht Club it is. They just need to confirm dates for May 20-22 2011. It seems a perfect place for our needs.

Which of your boats will you be bringing?

My best wishes to you, Carl

Comment

• Carl Cramer
            Ancient Member
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DGentry
            Fast is fun. Traps are fun. Yes, please.

LOA includes rudders? If so, that's adding a lot of complexity to hang rudders under the hulls . . . perhaps discouraging some potential builders.

What if your gaff/upper spar/gunter/whatever, sticks up higher than the mast. I'm just thinking about traditional/inexpensive rigs, like lateens or many lug rigs, etc. Take Romilly, for example:

I'm all for the box rule idea, but I want to be able to experiment, too!

Dave Gentry
            Thank you, Dave. yes, I was thinking about rudders last night. OK to exclude from LOA IF they are not of "abnormal size." How about that?

I'm fine with gaff/uppers/gunter extending beyond masthead without penalty. I'd LOVE to see a ROMILLY here....

It feels like progress. Thanks, all, for all your good suggestions and questions, Carl

Comment

• Tom Lathrop
              • Dec 1999

Originally posted by Carl Cramer
              Thanks, Tom. Yes, Rock Hall Yacht Club it is. They just need to confirm dates for May 20-22 2011. It seems a perfect place for our needs.

Which of your boats will you be bringing?

My best wishes to you, Carl
              Hi Carl,

My experience in attending several National regattas held at the RHYC has been very positive. Great venue, facilities and great people to work with. There is a lot of shore parking and launching area but launching for large and heavy boats is limited. I would bring either Lapwing or a Windmill or perhaps something else.

All the best, Tom Lathrop
              Tom L

Comment

• Carl Cramer
                Ancient Member
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Tom Lathrop
                Hi Carl,

My experience in attending several National regattas held at the RHYC has been very positive. Great venue, facilities and great people to work with. There is a lot of shore parking and launching area but launching for large and heavy boats is limited. I would bring either Lapwing or a Windmill or perhaps something else.

All the best, Tom Lathrop
                Thanks so much, Tom. I gather there are some very good Windmill sailors in that yacht club. You'll be in your element!

My very best wishes to you, Carl

Comment

• frank pedersen
                  • Nov 2004

A brilliant choice, Carl. Count me in with a Wayfarer and I will try to get a few other Wayfarer buddies to join us. Rock Hall Yacht Club has two electric hoists for heavier boats (e.g. Lightning, etc.) and an ample sandy beach for smaller boats.

Frank
                  Wayfarer 8705

Comment

• Carl Cramer
                    Ancient Member
                    • Jan 2004

Thanks, Frank. I know about the hoists -- Would they be able to handle something like a 210 (3,000 lbs) or is there somewhere nearby where we could launch and rig boats of that size?

Here are my updated rules. Please, all, comment and hack away:

Revised, 3/26. Version 4.2

The WOOD (Wooden Open & One-Design) Regatta consists of two major components:

1.One-design, which are historical classes such as Blue Jays, Windmills, Lightnings, etc. They all race under Portsmouth Yardstick ratings, and overall prizes are given. If a class has 10 or more entries, it will be given its own start. Other starts will be determined by Portsmouth Yardstick number. Owners must declare if their boats have been altered from one-design requirements.

If a wooden boat is NOT a one-design, it is still possible to participate in the one-design component. A provisional Portsmouth Yardstick rating will be issued.

Max LOA is 30 feet.

2.The “Open” portion is for skippers who wish to race under a development or box rule. Class one-designs may elect to join one of these group as well. These are ALL sailboats. In general, this category is for new designs and builds, but by no means exclusively.

Max LOA 10' 12' 14' 16' 18' 20'

Max BEAM 4' 5' 6' 6'6” 7'6” 8'6”

Masthead-bottom of
                    centerboard/keel 17'6” 21' 24' 27'6” 31' 34'

Max # of crew 1 1 2 3 3 3

RULES

1.All hulls and decks must be wooden.

2.Spars may be wood or aluminum.

3.Sails must be dacron or polywrap; spinnakers may be nylon. No other materials permitted.

4.Max LOA measures from the aftermost point of the transom to the foremost point of the bow, including spinnaker pole, extended. Rudders will not be measured unless they are abnormally large (judges' discretion).

5.Max Beam includes wings or racks (racks may be wood, aluminum, or stainless steel). Trapezes are permitted and are not measured as such. If a boat is a multihull, no Max Beam shall be enforced. But multis will race in a separate class, if applicable.

6.Masthead-bottom of centerboard/daggerboard/leeboard/keel is measured from the top of the mast to the lowest point on an extended foil. For this first year at least, hydrofoils are not permitted. Gaff rigs may have spars that extend above the masthead, without penalty, unless judged “too extreme.” This is judges' discretion. This may change in the future. The length of the gaff should not exceed 50% of LOA, and may not be flown parallel to the mast.

7. Max # of crew is for guidance only. Fewer crew may be used (for boats 14' and longer). There are no crew weight restrictions.

8. Movable ballast -- except crew -- is not permitted.

The spirit of this event is fun, safety, and simplicity.
                    Last edited by Carl Cramer; 03-26-2010, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Raka025
                      • Jan 2006

Hey Carl,

Would a strip built boat with carbon/kevlar inner covering with glass on the outside qualify?
                      Rob

http://concordia9-amphora.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Carl Cramer
                        Ancient Member
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Raka025
                        Hey Carl,

Would a strip built boat with carbon/kevlar inner covering with glass on the outside qualify?
                        Thanks, Rob. If you remove the carbon/kevlar and 'glass, would the hull still have structural integrity? I'm guessing not.....

Time to design and build a new one, I guess.

Comment

• Raka025
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Carl Cramer
                          Thanks, Rob. If you remove the carbon/kevlar and 'glass, would the hull still have structural integrity? I'm guessing not.....

Time to design and build a new one, I guess.
                          So, I guess the carbon mast, boom, spin pole, rudder and daggerboard would have to be discarded and the sails... Never mind, have fun in your project. The Swift Solo is out of the running.

Would putting sails on the Nutshell Pram qualify?
                          Rob

http://concordia9-amphora.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Carl Cramer
                            Ancient Member
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Raka025
                            So, I guess the carbon mast, boom, spin pole, rudder and daggerboard would have to be discarded and the sails... Never mind, have fun in your project. The Swift Solo is out of the running.

Would putting sails on the Nutshell Pram qualify?
                            Yes, of course to the Nutshell. In fact, we held the first World Nutshell Championships in Newport, RI many, many years ago. It was an absolute blast with a great number of boats. I'm hoping many will come to MD.... Shellbacks too, and you name it....

You can race the Swift Solo with an asterisk, or build spars, foils, etc. in wood, with dacron sails.

Comment

• frank pedersen
                              • Nov 2004

I see a problem developing. If we think of the WOOD regatta as a special opportunity to see how different boats perform, maybe it would be wise to err on the side of inclusiveness. Suppose a Paper Jet, with little or no carbon content and hence lower cost and easier construction, will do almost everything a high carbon content Swift Solo does, then that world be informative to a potential builder/buyer and might influence whether a new class is successfully established. My guess is that in a small boat ( say, 12 - 14 ft.), structural and design cleverness can overcome most advantages of carbon content, and it would be nice to show that in the real world.

Frank

Comment

• Carl Cramer
                                Ancient Member
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by frank pedersen
                                I see a problem developing. If we think of the WOOD regatta as a special opportunity to see how different boats perform, maybe it would be wise to err on the side of inclusiveness. Suppose a Paper Jet, with little or no carbon content and hence lower cost and easier construction, will do almost everything a high carbon content Swift Solo does, then that world be informative to a potential builder/buyer and might influence whether a new class is successfully established. My guess is that in a small boat ( say, 12 - 14 ft.), structural and design cleverness can overcome most advantages of carbon content, and it would be nice to show that in the real world.

Frank
                                Thanks, Frank. I don't disagree at all. Where do we draw the line?

Comment

Working...