Thread: Merrymeeting Bay DB

Default Merrymeeting Bay DB

Sorry about the lack of pictures ladies and gents but you missed about a week of the build, the first day I built the saw horses and strongback, and two thirds of the molds.

This is the Merry Meeting Bay duck float/duck boat/scull float, whatever by published by John Gardener its dimensions are abeut 15' by 4' by 16'' or for all the normal people (im not) 4.5m by 1.2m by .4m

I made one previously whilst at boat building school but it is sort of a composite of composite and traditional building, with a keel and frames, and floors, but with thick wide strips. (not a good idea for a boat that gets treated more like a workboat) The old boats fiber glass is peeling near the keel and the planks are moving under the glass making it have unfair lines so i hope to peel the glass and planks off later this summer and rebuild it traditionally!

while this one is going to be strip built with 7/16's by 3/4 strips with no frames and a laminated cedar transom rather than a solid White ash transom. I will also be glassing the inside and outside with six ounce glass

an out of focus picture of the molds standard 2x6 with OSB backing glued on.

One heck of a problem with a flat spot near the middle of the boat, then i realized i had the molds on the wrong side of the stations, forward molds ahead of the line rearward molds behind.

A picture of an offending mold holder! note the two 2.5in ring shank nails of the devil cementing it to the strongback!

So after liberal and brutal use of both claw and 2.5lb (1kg) engineers hammer the mold holders are removed and repositioned forward the station lines.

another better picture of the molds and battens to check boat fairness (left one and to hold the molds at their spacing on the right)

Pics of the old boat before its casual demise is http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92976
    Last edited by Falcon500; 03-18-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    Sure its looks fine now, wait till your in 100ft of water!

Default Re: Merrymeeting Bay DB

a picture of the stem made of laminated Northern White cedar is sided 1.5" and molded 2", it is the inner stem and is glued with Plastic Resin Glue made by DAP. Its good stuff but tempermental, needs warm water and at least 70*F temps for at least 12 hours.

my transfer of transom lines from the expanded lofting to a pattern of 1/4" Luan since i am laminating my transom.
    I used window plastic to transfer the lines with a Sharpie marker (may not be the most accurate way to transfer the lines, as the plastic stretches a little and might move with the temp. but im not building the Hubble telescope am i.....

Cut on my wee bandsaw and faired with a blockplane. tacked to transom supports with 4d nails to position the supports and to check for fairness.

now with the first layer cedar cut from 1x4's down to .5x3 (true dimension) note that the boards are mostly heartwood except for the last three, and that most of the knot are in not near the edges (why make endgrain worse) the second layer will wait, i only had two boards

more pictures later, have some errands tommorow

Beautiful day today, saw my first cargo vessel going down the river, Laminated my transom today. Sorry no pics left my camera at home. and now at least i can stay outside without freezing to death!

Looking good. I live right up the river from Merrymeeting Bay and go sailing on it quite often.

Good News!!!! today was FREAKIN cold, around 25*F and Gusts up to 40mph. Perfect day to spend five hours in an unheated garage!

Extreme clamping technology!!!! could not think of a better way.

un "clamped" and throughly scratched with my cheap little block plane (for the glue) and my vintage Stanley to flatten the surface.

and voila! cut to shape and temporarily attached to the strongback

I also made another handy dandy skaerphing jig this bad boy has an optimal 12/1 ratio

in use! (notice the purple color of flesh, like i said is was cold)

The cut!

Busy day today was able to catch the sawyer before he fiddled off to do whatever he does when hes not running his mill.

Ka ching! only 70$ all roughsawn NWC clear stock (which mean very few knots)

all milled!

And to boot i even got hit with a high velocity stick! luckily it only hit my jacket and the garage door.

(:note: all guards removed for demonstration purposes only)

Thanks for sharing. I'll be watching with interest.

Today was a glorious day, about 65*F and breezy, and i feel i kicked some boat butt!

But first, yesterdays glue up! only had one joint fail but i believe it was contaminated or starved.

I think i could use longer pipes though

my stations NAKED! at the beginning of the day

I name her Gloria the glorious glue bead! look at those curves!

Stem detail with temporary pre-waxed screw of the drywall type.
    the sheer strip plank was screwed onto each mold as it needs to hold up against the pounding of edge nails

and 12 strips fitted by the end of the day, makes for a long and seamingly unproductive day

And a parting shot, took this just before i left when i was closing the shop door. Didnt catch her name but she's in the 7-800 foot range (over 200m)

Looks like planty of progress, and a sweet shape. I don't recall if these boats sail or just row?

Glad you are getting your stations covered
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

John, they are usually motored to good hunting grounds and then sculled when close to the ducks. My understanding of it is you scull heading directly towards them (disguised as an island with reeds, etc.) lying below the gunwale and then pop up when you get close enough and blast them out of the air. It's immoral and possibly illegal, though i'm not sure, to shoot them in the water.

yes yes it is a "sculling float" and that is the normal appoach. But i am not drilling a two inch hole four inches above the waterline (5cm hole 10cm above WL) for the sculling oar. when the boat is only 12in tall without the deck coaming, you need all the help you can get.

Any who more pictures!

Earmark of a boat builder, able to clamp anything!

End of the day, another beautiful day though in the 70's

Trying to take the edgeset out, and the result wobble you see near the bow, there are three tapered strips on each side.

Dont know how the original builders put 7/8" square oak frames in this boat or how they got 5/8" pine to make that turn in the bow. The first one i built i used 1/2" Ash frames and some of the planks i kerfed with a table saw to twist and When i lofted it i think i used 1/16" pine battens to make the turn at the bilge.

another planking shot. had a guy walking by today ask if i was building a boat as he came toward me, i shoulda told him i was making a cell phone.

told ya, clamp anything

the Montrealais, lots of Canadian ship passing by these days

took a break on Sunday, fingers are gettin bruised from the spokeshave, not much got done today, executive decision to start the center strips and work out (ceo's these days ) also had to scarf and glue up more 16ft strips for tommorow. I will also call our local West Marine (90miles away or 145km) to see if the sell fiberglass and epoxy, i have some West system epoxy but it froze and i dont trust it for the glassing or coatings, i may use it for fairing, unless anyone knows better, i dont.

I would like to get a big router. It would have been nice to bead and cove these rather than bevel all of them, but then i would have to use epoxy on all the strips

Me thinks i need to move somewhere more nautical and less nowhere, I bought out the last of the "clear" Northern White Cedar locally and i cant get White oak for more than 40 miles, Red oak till your eyes bleed.... well red, but no White oak, might have to go down south to the "Northern Michigan" and scrounge, may even need to check le Home DePot` and see if they have any DF outta anything even 4-by stock. Meanwhile I have to order from Jamestown for fiberglass because even the nearby "maritme supplies distributor" doesnt have wide enough fiberglass.

I cant wait till i fix my boat from fibergl@$$ to carvel, only i need to order wood for it too.

Sorry

Yay!

but then i flipped it over, then wind caught it and it slammed onto the grass and busted some of the joints

but i fixed it

May have to go to Canada for wood (much bigger twin city to the U.S. city) but i dont know if they carry white oak and hopefully there are no importation laws against wood

found a steal, 11bf of ash for 15$ so i am pre-bending the outer stem on a refined pattern overnight, will be epoxied tomorrow!

I also cut out the floors but i am waiting to see if they twist and bow before i start shaping. Its an odd order of build but i cannot fair the hull anymore until i can epoxy

Waiting for warm weather sucks, i faired the hull some but temps are hovering around 50*F and that is keeping me from doing anything efficiently, so whilst waiting for summer temps i have built almost the rest of the boat, deck beams, hanging knees for the decks, sole supports, outer stem, and breast hook! now all i need is the soling, deck and coamings

curious eh? Built from the same lofting but the new one is three inches longer, and four inches narrower but that has some to do with the frames of the old one and the old one "sprung off the molds"

and yes the powder hornness has not been removed from the new hull

once i sell the new one the old one is going to be torn apart and new carvel planks laid on the backbone and ribs.

warmer weather and some supplies!

wearing a nice white veil

after the wet cloth contest, the winnebr />

and today the results after two brushed on hot coats last night

i also got a bit of fairing done on the inside, im going to buy a sanding disk attachment for a drill tomorrow, then I'll be close to glassing the inside.

been awhile since i remembered to bring the camera home, so here are some pics of the hanging knees for the deck/harpin made outta cedar 3/4 thick by two inches, half lapped.

and now with the deck beams in

some strips laid in, 5/16's thin

and with most of the strips on and the floors and the sole boards

and you can see the coaming on the floor next to the boat, regretfully the piece connecting both pieces i made out of cedar and it split when put under the tension of flexing it into place.

shes getting awfully close