Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2161707172 LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,485 of 2508

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    Looking "right" beats following the drawings every time in my mind.
    From what you are finding, I'm thinking the sheer or deck camber are not built to plan like you say.
    Going slow at this stage is fully justified.
    You will be looking at her while rowing away for a long time hopefully.
    Thanks Slacko, agreed
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    Looking "right" beats following the drawings every time in my mind.
    From what you are finding, I'm thinking the sheer or deck camber are not built to plan like you say.
    Going slow at this stage is fully justified.
    You will be looking at her while rowing away for a long time hopefully.
    Absolutely!! The plans might be "Right" but if you dont think she looks "Right" you will be disappointed in the final result.

There was a great forumite here who has sadly passed; Dave Fleming. He had a great trick for taking another look. When you are sure you have it just right, turn around, bend over and look at it through your legs. Amazing how well this works. Not entirely applicable here but whenever I read a thread about how something looks and what we all think it reminds me of Mr. Fleming.....

It’s been a long time since I’ve done geometry but are you sure it’s a parabolic curve you want Larks and not a simple or elliptical curve? Just noticing the chart title on your spreadsheet. Is it worth experimenting with the degree of curvature perhaps?

There is this, quick and simple, maybe worth a look Greg.
    Deck Camber Crown Calculator

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by NBJersey View Post
    It’s been a long time since I’ve done geometry but are you sure it’s a parabolic curve you want Larks and not a simple or elliptical curve? Just noticing the chart title on your spreadsheet. Is it worth experimenting with the degree of curvature perhaps?
    I’m sure that I want the type of curve that I’m using, I’m not sure what the correct name is for that curve . It’s the same curve that is calculated in the Jolie Brise model that Mike referenced in #2454
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    There is this, quick and simple, maybe worth a look Greg.
    Deck Camber Crown Calculator

Cheers,
    Mike.
    I had seen this one Mike, 'no more quick and simple than the one that my brother has done - they do the same thing but I haven’t done a comparison between the two calculators to see what the inclusion of the “Maximum beam” figure does across the length of the deck....if anything.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Finally starting to fit some wood to the deck to get a move on with my cabin structure. First on the list are the corner posts from that lovely slab of Huon Pine that I posted above:

I had just enough length in that piece for both posts as I’d lose the manky bit in the cabin side carling corner:

[IMG]IMG_3493 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3491 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3492 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3496 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3497 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3500 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 05-23-2022 at 06:01 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

That was the easy bit - the time consuming bit was making those nice square corners and square cut curve that form the base fit snugly into the two cambers of the foredeck and side deck and the opposing “rake" of the side and forward carlings while making sure the posts stood nice and vertical on all sides:

[IMG]IMG_3501 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I didn’t take a photo before fitting them up but the bases didn’t look anywhere near as neat once shaped to the corners , though they are no longer visible anyway...

[IMG]IMG_3502 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

They are nice and solid. The lease seems to have given them a bit of an angle but they do actually stand vertical on all fronts (there is no rake to these cabin sides or front).

Sides next.......if it stops raining for long enough to allow me to open the shed door enough to feed the full length of the planks into the bandsaw. I’d rather not get the planks wet at this stage.....
    Last edited by Larks; 05-23-2022 at 06:03 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

This was probably the second scariest cut of my lifetime - though I have absolutely no memory of the first one:

[IMG]IMG_3503 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

For some ridiculous reason and despite my best intentions, every time I go to cut “outside the line" through the bandsaw I get some sort of black-line-fever that suddenly makes me think that I can cut cleanly right up to the line.......invariably ending just as you’d expect.....

So now I’ve taken to drawing a second “cut” line 5mm outside of the finish line that gives me a safe line to follow

[IMG]IMG_3504 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

First 4 metre Huon Pine plank cut - I did get both planks cut without any problems and those two roller stands in the first photo which I picked up last week were worth their weight in gold:

[IMG]IMG_3505 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

To shape the bottom edge to the camber of the side decks I took an angle from the deck every 600mm

[IMG]IMG_3508 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

then transposed them to the plank by carving down to the finish line to match the angle for each 600mm measurement

[IMG]IMG_3509 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3510 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 05-24-2022 at 03:15 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

and gradually planed down to those reference points using a flat plane on this convex curve

[IMG]IMG_3511 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3512 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

for the top concave curve I used my the old compass plane that I found on line - it worked absolutely brilliantly, my new favourite tool

[IMG]IMG_3522 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3533 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3536 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

For the moment I just want to get that top curve perfectly smooth and correct, I’ll finish shaping the camber of it when I have the cabin top deck frames fitted to give me the angles.

The planks will just about pull into the curve of the carlings but for peace of mind I’ll steam them into place once I’m happy with their shape.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Congrats Greg, in making it over the top. Now all all you’ve gotta do is cut holes in em ,

I like your tip about the second line for bandsawing, I too get too brave and f*^# it up.

The bandsaw enigma:- when the auto feed part of the brain overrides the braking part of the brain.

Good call on the double lines.

Roller stands are your best friend.

Looking good.

Cheers,
    Mike.

I also feel the strange magnetic draw of that line - thanks for tip about second line!

For cuts like that, even with surprising amount of curve, I always use a circular saw. Much easier to control the saw sitting on the stock that control a long heavy stick pushed through a blade.

Yeah, I would have used a jig saw with a serious wood hog blade and then planed to the line. Big slabs in the bandsaw rarely go well for me.

Looks great Greg. Wish you could transmit the smell of the Huon Pine to us

I was admiring your work and the plank, and like Hugh, found myself thinking of the smell.

Looking good!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    For cuts like that, even with surprising amount of curve, I always use a circular saw. Much easier to control the saw sitting on the stock that control a long heavy stick pushed through a blade.
    Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Yeah, I would have used a jig saw with a serious wood hog blade and then planed to the line. Big slabs in the bandsaw rarely go well for me.
    Adequate options for sure.....if you don’t have a nice big bandsaw handy...
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Looks great Greg. Wish you could transmit the smell of the Huon Pine to us
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I was admiring your work and the plank, and like Hugh, found myself thinking of the smell.

Looking good!
    I wish I could share the smell of it as well, there’s nothing quite like it and it is probably the nicest smelling timber that I know of, seconded closely by our scented rosewood. I’m loath to throw out the shavings:

[IMG]IMG_3534 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

That’s from the first plank, the bin will be full by the time that I’ve finished the second one
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg, just my 2c for what it’s worth. Those corner posts I assume will be screwed to sides of cabin from outside (posts inside) ?
    From the pictures the faying side of post doesn’t look very big to accept any decent length of screw. Can I suggest laminating another layer on inside of posts (across flat angled face) shouldn’t be detectable but will provide heaps more bite for your glue/screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Greg, just my 2c for what it’s worth. Those corner posts I assume will be screwed to sides of cabin from outside (posts inside) ?
    From the pictures the faying side of post doesn’t look very big to accept any decent length of screw. Can I suggest laminating another layer on inside of posts (across flat angled face) shouldn’t be detectable but will provide heaps more bite for your glue/screws.
    Thanks for the suggestion Andrew but they’re good, all will be revealed as I progress.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

The profile of the bottom/deck edge of each cabin side was different but I spent a bit of time getting the top edge of each matched up and with a nice curve throughout that I’m happy with and which matches the profile from the drawings (at least as well as I can get it). I’ll check it again in place as I’d planned to do but I think I’ve actually got this top curve pretty much where it will end up. The bottoms may need some refining but they will be epoxied in place as well as screwed down so they don’t really need to be quite as perfect:

[IMG]IMG_3549 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

there are a few more shavings - it’s so nice to have sharp planes:

[IMG]IMG_3550 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I stuffed up on one plank though: I had picked it as the second best in the pile so far as minimum knots, showing on one side only, and I had planned to make sure the knots were on the inside of the cabin......

But I managed to get myself and my template inside out or upside down and ended up shaping it so that the knots are on the outside of the starboard cabin side....... Knot good really.

The worst of them I had always planned to loose in the portholes but there are still a couple of small ones that, although seemingly solid, are a risk of falling out as the timber moves with age.

I could drill them out and bung them but instead I have, for the moment at least, decided to saturate them with epoxy to glue them in place - essentially as a bung anyway with the epoxy seeping in and filling all around them (I could see how well they were glued in when I dressed them on the thicknesser). I think this is the best “looking” solution and I’m confident that they will be durable but worst case I can drill them out and bung them later.

This one will be under the porthole frame:

[IMG]IMG_3551 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

but there are four small ones here that there’s no hiding. (the smaller dobs of epoxy are filling very small birdseye “pinholes”)

[IMG]IMG_3553 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

With both planks shaped and dressed through the thicknesser (no photos of that), next job is to steam them into place on deck. For that I’ve fitted up a more sturdy framework so that I can easily pull the planks into place keeping them nice and square/vertical.

[IMG]IMG_3554 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3555 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 05-30-2022 at 12:15 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Steaming the cabin sides into place:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

And a couple of pics of the result for anyone who can’t be bothered watching the vid’:

the steam box set up - the cheapest ply that I could find (2 x 12mm sheets @38 each) joints sealed with the cheapest foam weather strip in the shop ($5.00/10 metres). Its worked flawlessly.

[IMG]IMG_3561 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3562 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

and the result

[IMG]IMG_3564 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3567 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3572 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I’ll let them sit overnight and will take them off again to finalise any fit and finish that they need and cut out the portholes before fitting them properly.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Nicely done, Greg.

I didn’t think it got cold enough for beanies in QLD

oh and we’ll done on the steaming, I’m calling that a milestone even though they’re not welded in yet
    Last edited by Andrew Donald; 05-30-2022 at 05:10 AM.

Nicely done Greg, she’s going to look amazing!
    If ever I’m after some throwaway/non structural ply i ask for cover sheets.
    Just got 2 12 mm for nicks, saves them having to throw them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    I didn’t think it got cold enough for beanies in QLD

oh and we’ll done on the steaming, I’m calling that a milestone even though they’re not welded in yet
    Cold front came through last night Andrew, just enough to chill my ears.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

The sweeps of those sides are appealing to the eye and those corner posts a pretty piece of work.

I've been looking in on your work for quite a while and hope you get to enjoy the fruits of your work soon.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Nicely done Greg, she’s going to look amazing!
    If ever I’m after some throwaway/non structural ply i ask for cover sheets.
    Just got 2 12 mm for nicks, saves them having to throw them out.
    Thanks Steve. And likewise re the cover sheets, when they’re available - it seems they’ve been pretty popular lately and I’ve not been able to scrounge any for a while now.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
    The sweeps of those sides are appealing to the eye and those corner posts a pretty piece of work.

I've been looking in on your work for quite a while and hope you get to enjoy the fruits of your work soon.
    Thankyou Steamboat, very much appreciated.
    cheers, Greg
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Still lurking Greg.
    Looking really terrific. Great job on the posts and getting the sides in. That curve is a delight, confident but understated.

I think shaving with a sharp plane is one of the most enjoyable things to do. I imagine it must be enhanced with the beautiful scent. I'm unfamiliar with the scent of HP, so I can only imagine.

Best
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Still lurking Greg.
    Looking really terrific. Great job on the posts and getting the sides in. That curve is a delight, confident but understated.

I think shaving with a sharp plane is one of the most enjoyable things to do. I imagine it must be enhanced with the beautiful scent. I'm unfamiliar with the scent of HP, so I can only imagine.

Best
    Thanks Trev’, cheers
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Nicely done, as usual. She's coming along.

JRM

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Nicely done, as usual. She's coming along.

JRM
    Thanks Willin'
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary