Page 66 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1656656667 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,310 of 2452

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Interesting stat’, 11,800 or so views since sharing that vid’ 23 Dec and only four people could be bothered commenting .......... Harsh.....
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Hi Greg,
    Just finished watching your vid, well done. It's been awhile since I poked my nose in your shed in fact I think last time you were ruminating over the design for the v berth bulkhead and cabinetry so it has been some time.

WOW!!!! fantastic work. The thought and care in the design and workmanship show through wonderfully well.

Re the different timber colours......well I see your point the beech is probably a little light but hey a very minor issue actually come to think of it an inlayed compass rose would fix it
    All in all it's beaut particularly like the sole, noice.

Looking forward to seeing the Huon cabin top it will look magnificent I'm sure.

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike, very much appreciated mate and nice to see you.
    cheers
    Greg
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Interesting stat’, 11,800 or so views since sharing that vid’ 23 Dec and only four people could be bothered commenting .......... Harsh.....
    Right, well, Greg, duly shamed, I’ve finally got around to watching your video in its entirety, and it confirms my earlier comment your scrupulous attention to detail really has paid off. The efficiency and flexibility of your joinery is superb. I particularly like your recliner seating. I can see that, with a book and a glass of something comforting, in use with feet up across the aisle. And your aesthetic flair is terrific — those air circulation cutouts and floating panels are just lovely. LEDs are cruel. In natural (or, better, lantern) light, the variety of timbers will offer a range of counterpoints. I’ve seen a pop-up faucet, which might work to maintain your galley worktop, if you don’t mind sacrificing the bit of stowage space below to which it retreats. I’ll see if I can find a reference to it. Well done man, and happy new year! Onwards …

i seem to remember getting to this point before in your thread Greg. Don’t take any notice of stats cos I doubt that’s the reason you’re putting in all that beautiful workmanship. Everyone has bad days, even Mr Ledger.
    oh , nice video by the way.Been thinking abou one myself cos it gives everyone a better understanding of the thought processes and the number of sub-projects.

keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickXavier View Post
    Right, well, Greg, duly shamed, I’ve finally got around to watching your video in its entirety, and it confirms my earlier comment your scrupulous attention to detail really has paid off. The efficiency and flexibility of your joinery is superb. I particularly like your recliner seating. I can see that, with a book and a glass of something comforting, in use with feet up across the aisle. And your aesthetic flair is terrific — those air circulation cutouts and floating panels are just lovely. LEDs are cruel. In natural (or, better, lantern) light, the variety of timbers will offer a range of counterpoints. I’ve seen a pop-up faucet, which might work to maintain your galley worktop, if you don’t mind sacrificing the bit of stowage space below to which it retreats. I’ll see if I can find a reference to it. Well done man, and happy new year! Onwards …

Thankyou for the comments Patrick, I really do appreciate them mate. And I’m definitely interested in seeing the stow away faucet idea if you find it.

‘Not trying to shame anyone, more an observation on perhaps the general malaise of the forum these days, or maybe I’m struggling to accept the lack of interest in this thread which has gone on far too long anyway. I confess that I found it hard to be bothered posting photos with such little apparent interest so thought the vid’ might be a better way of updating the build, I’ll be doing more to keep my mum and other family and friends up to speed but in all honesty I’m not feeling the enthusiasm to bother with keeping this thread going.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    i seem to remember getting to this point before in your thread Greg. Don’t take any notice of stats cos I doubt that’s the reason you’re putting in all that beautiful workmanship. Everyone has bad days, even Mr Ledger.
    oh , nice video by the way.Been thinking abou one myself cos it gives everyone a better understanding of the thought processes and the number of sub-projects.

keep it up
    Thanks Andrew, very much appreciated mate.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Hello Larks,

I read what you post, examine in detail the photos you include, and have watched the video. But I make no comment... and I know I SHOULD.
    But I can't, because I don't know what to write. Except maybe 'wow'. Just plain 'wow'.
    You are doing all the things I'm discovering I can't do AND you do it all so well.
    I promise I'll keep reading and looking from across the globe.

Regards,
    Alan

I understand your feelings on this. You're doing and excellent job. Your lay out is very unique and interesting. I do like the mixed wood look you've gone with. To me, it makes for interesting conversation while having tea below on a rainy day. Keep up the good work and people will keep looking on. It's better to have a lot of views from people interested in what you're doing than to have few views and no interest. At least that's the way I look at it.

I saw your video and it was pretty good. I'm Ben that commented first on your video. I hope you make more. I used to have a youtube channel about my motorcycles and the modifications I made. I took it down because of all the negativity and fighting in the comments. I got a lot of criticism for the modifications I did, especially to my track motorcycle. I wasn't prepared for all of that nonsense. Ever since that experience, I swore to myself I'd never be a commenter like that on other people's videos.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Sheesh - don't know how i missed your posts Greg - apologies mate.
    I've been ducking in and out in short bursts recently, just timing i think.

Great video - thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I spotted you'd painted the engine cover before you mentioned it - that was a good decision.
    The light woods under the deck will come into their own when the cabin top is on - those dark corners will feel a lot better for it.
    I hadn't noticed you'd kept the inside of the hull bright (another missed post I'm sure) - looks great.

The workmanship shines mate - if thats you 'learning' ... well that's me back to kindy! Such neat solutions and ideas, well executed.

Thanks for sharing.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

My mast is deck stepped without a central compression post,.
    The Load is spread into the hull diagonally.

In the picture, the topmost beam is taking the load, and the diagonals are transferring it to frames.

2016-04-19 14.25.17.jpg

Both beams are sistered on the forward side of the bulkhead. My guess by the general wood selection in the boat is they are spotted gum.

2016-04-19 14.25.52.jpg

The additional sawn frames forward aren't taking any load - they frame the forward cabin bulkhead.

I'm not sure this is something your interested in, and you've probably gone too far down the road already. Just thought I'd share it if people are interested in alternative possibilities.

The interior is looking pretty in those shots - reminds me that in all the work I've been doing i haven't touched the inside and its showing the wear.

Do you have a weight estimate for the all the extra wood and gear that's gone back in?
    whatever rocks your boat

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Sheesh - don't know how i missed your posts Greg - apologies mate.
    I've been ducking in and out in short bursts recently, just timing i think.

Great video - thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I spotted you'd painted the engine cover before you mentioned it - that was a good decision.
    The light woods under the deck will come into their own when the cabin top is on - those dark corners will feel a lot better for it.
    I hadn't noticed you'd kept the inside of the hull bright (another missed post I'm sure) - looks great.

The workmanship shines mate - if thats you 'learning' ... well that's me back to kindy! Such neat solutions and ideas, well executed.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Trev’, much appreciated mate.

I like that ring frame arrangement that yours has for the mast step and I did briefly consider very early on how something like that might be incorporated into the H28 design, after first seeing Phil Youngs Balia and her substantial steel ring frame arrangement. Not suitable or practical on mine but could be done on a new build, the load really has to be carried all the way around through to the keel in a sort of eggshell strength type arrangement, which I suspect is what happens with those beams on yours, rather than just running out to the hull sides and stopping.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Do you have a weight estimate for the all the extra wood and gear that's gone back in?
    Yes. ’Not sure where you are specifically seeing the “extra”, other than in the electrics, but it’s reasonable to say that I’m probably more aware of managing weights on/weights off and stability during refit because of my usual work than most would be - though that doesn’t mean that I’ll get it correct .
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Precisely right Larks.
    the aft beams land on a frame, to which the bulkhead is attached. The forward sister beams land on a very butch sawn frame that joins to keel.
    my chain plate bolts to the bulkhead. The whole system goes from mast head to keel.
    Last edited by gypsie; 01-22-2022 at 07:02 AM.

Yes. ’Not sure where you are specifically seeing the “extra”, other than in the electrics, but it’s reasonable to say that I’m probably more aware of managing weights on/weights off and stability during refit because of my usual work than most would be - though that doesn’t mean that I’ll get it correct .
    I know from experience how easy it is to add weight, these days I am a total minimalist. I havent seen your progress for about 10 years, looks ready to chuck in the tide and go sailing.
    whatever rocks your boat

My problem is that I've lost weight after changing the engine, so the stern is sitting about 40 mm high and bow down about 30.
    My next project is rebuilding the stern lockers, so I'm thinking heavy while doing it.

I know how you feel about posting without reply, but the views are an indication of interest too.
    There are threads here that I don't bother looking at as they don't interest me.
    This isn't one of them, sterling work and great documentation of the progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    My problem is that I've lost weight after changing the engine, so the stern is sitting about 40 mm high and bow down about 30.
    My next project is rebuilding the stern lockers, so I'm thinking heavy while doing it.

I know how you feel about posting without reply, but the views are an indication of interest too.
    There are threads here that I don't bother looking at as they don't interest me.
    This isn't one of them, sterling work and great documentation of the progress!
    Thanks Slacko, I do appreciate the comments - cheers mate
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I lost weight too Slacko, but now that its back in the water i'm putting it back on, and feeling better for it. Funny, cause my beer intake has fallen.
    Don't get too heavy while you're making those lockers - you may not be able to squeeze in and out while working on them.

Hi Greg. Just caught the internal tour on youtube, very nice and clean. I wish now I had been a bit more organised on my electrics! I like the single seats/table arrangement, great double use of what would normally be a small seat, berth.

Hope you are winning the war on mud wasps, looking forward to the cabin.

Mal
    Quest

Slowly finishing the last few bits on the Welsford Sundowner "Overkill", then learn to sail it.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish didn't happen. One day!

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

We've been off and on the boat with just cell so I've only just got to the video now. What you've accomplished there is pretty special there Greg, and pro video too!
    I like your timber mix ,its part of the boat story now.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Hi Greg. Just caught the internal tour on youtube, very nice and clean. I wish now I had been a bit more organised on my electrics! I like the single seats/table arrangement, great double use of what would normally be a small seat, berth.

Hope you are winning the war on mud wasps, looking forward to the cabin.

Mal
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    We've been off and on the boat with just cell so I've only just got to the video now. What you've accomplished there is pretty special there Greg, and pro video too!
    I like your timber mix ,its part of the boat story now.

Thanks Mal and JB, I really appreciate the comments guys.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I've only just viewed your video, It was a busy time of year when you posted it. I bet your Mum loved it!

You've done a great job, Each piece of timber has its own story which makes it a unique vessel. I like it a lot.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I've only just viewed your video, It was a busy time of year when you posted it. I bet your Mum loved it!

You've done a great job, Each piece of timber has its own story which makes it a unique vessel. I like it a lot.

Thanks Grant, yes Mum loved it - but I think I’ve set a bar for myself now, she wants more
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

A job that I’ve been somewhat dreading for the last 15 years or so....not avoiding - just not looking forward to when the time comes, which it has now:

[IMG]IMG_3039 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3051 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3037 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3047 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3050 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

OH MY! That's a lot of heat gun/scraper work! I definitely don't envy you the job, but it brings you that much closer to splashing

I can smell it just looking at the pics.

Stbd side done, port side almost done ....... back (mine) completely done in. At least half of the starboard side came off reasonably easily but the port side is fighting me every square inch of the way.

I’ll also strip off the primer that I laid on below the water line a few years ago (it comes off much more easily than the old topside coats which were quite well done) before sanding the whole shebang back to clean timber and refairing it:

[IMG]IMG_3052 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3053 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Good effort Greg!

Thanks Hugh, cheers
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I can smell it just looking at the pics.
    bad memories JB?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg,
    That looks like a job put off with good reason.

No nasty surprises exposed or planking all good? How have the bottom planks/keel gone with your watering system? Be keen to see how much they have openned up, not that I would have the slightest idea what I was looking at!

Mal
    Quest

Slowly finishing the last few bits on the Welsford Sundowner "Overkill", then learn to sail it.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish didn't happen. One day!

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

bad memories JB?
    Lead paint so, no,..can't remember a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Greg,
    That looks like a job put off with good reason.

No nasty surprises exposed or planking all good? How have the bottom planks/keel gone with your watering system? Be keen to see how much they have openned up, not that I would have the slightest idea what I was looking at!

Mal
    Thanks Mal, I only actually put it off so that the timber and glue lines would remain stable until I was ready to deal with it...... which is now, finally..... I’d done below the water line quite a while ago so that I could spline where some of the glue lines had opened up and primed it to try and stabilise it.

No surprises under the paint, a bit of patched damage from where the previous owner had lost his mast in a Brisbane Gladstone race but I’d already known about that. Something had punched a hole through the hull and it had been patched up with an epoxy plug, about the size of a small fist - I will route that out down about 15mm and will scarf a Huon pine patch over it externally but will leave it showing inside the hull where I have varnished over the epoxy to keep and show that bit of history. There’s also an area where one of the shrouds had dug deeply into the hull which I will route out and scarf a Huon pine patch over. (If I just bog it up with epoxy like the hole was patched, both will eventually print through the glass and paint and will be visible).

The deadwood has stood up reasonably well, the plan now is to let it dry out again in a more controlled manner to see how it behaves and stabilises before glassing it all in. It won’t get to the same level as it did when I left it for so incredibly long during a couple of very dry years while I was working away in Darwin. I am replacing some of the deadwood that I’m not happy with - a bit up in the bow that had split down the centre and the entire “shoe” (for want of a better description) behind the lead keel.

I’ve got a couple of boat builder mates working up here taking over my forge space at the moment working on their own project - payment for using my shed and tools is helping me glass the hull and these guys are very experienced (and I do mean VERY experienced) with fibreglassing......I’d guess at least 70 years of experience between the two of them.......

I’m going to glass the deck and the top 1200mm of the hull (whatever the glass roll width is when I pick it up) in the next week or so after I’ve sanded and faired the hull, and will come back to the deadwood once I’ve done some work down there replacing that deadwood, pouring and fitting an extension to the lead keel up forward and when we're happy with the moisture content.

I’d never actually planned to glass the hull because it is otherwise sound, but I’ve changed my mind after having had 15 years or so to think about it.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I'm pretty stoked i glassed mine.
    Apart from piece of mind, she looks better for it. I really feel like I've reset the clock back to zero.

Lucky you, having a couple of glass experienced hands around - so good!
    Its not a miserable job, but its not fun. You've done it so you know what you're up for. You should nail it pretty quick with those guys around. How long do you think it'll take?
    What'll you use?

With your transom hung rudder - have you considered a trim tab wind steering system?
    They look so tidy and fool proof, compared to a big steel frame hanging off your stern.
    I think it requires a straight trailing edge on the rudder.

Good work on the paint. ****ty job, but done! Probably won't ever have to do that again.