Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1454636465 LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,240 of 2248

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I did look at the Natures Head units but they were just a bit too big for my space and set up.

If my set up interests you, a more simple option for the overboard discharge from the holding tank (than having a diversion valve to the deck discharge point or back to the through hull discharge) would be to just trail a short 1” hose from the deck discharge and pump out through that.

I did consider it and in hindsight probably could/should have gone with that option given the difficulties that I had fitting the diversion valve in place, but I baulked at the inconvenience of having to store a length of hose that might have been difficult to get completely clean at sea after pumping black water waste out through it.

The overboard discharge point has a cam lock fitting that screws into it that any shore waste station should fit.
    I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Check this guy out, at about 5mins in he describes his head install.
    it's not the prettiest job, but it's a neatly thought out system.

https://youtu.be/Gl_eA8GxIsc
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post

Thanks for posting.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

It is indeed a well thought out system Trev’ and to be honest I wish I’d seen it before I did mine.

I based mine on the Vetus waste water kit tank fittings, the Vetus and TMC recommended installation diagrams and systems that I’m familiar with that I've worked on before and I didn’t even consider that the tank itself, when above the water line, could act as a vented loop. My tank is a bit low for that where it is fitted now but I could have likely raised it to just below the deck and ran a gravity discharge from the base rather than a suction from above. I did consider a gravity discharge when I was building the tank but it wouldn’t work at the height that I mounted it, I’d have reconsidered that if I’d thought of the tank as a vented loop itself.

One thing that I don’t like though is using shoreside suction for waste discharge, rather than using an onboard pump. I’ve seen a number of tanks crushed because their breathers weren’t big enough to cope with the strength of suction that the shoreside facilities apply, even on large Patrol boats with aluminium tanks. But I do like the way he can suck in sea water to finish cleaning the tank while it is being sucked out - albeit they will be sucking in marina water which may be pretty dodgy itself.

I “think” I like the ball valve on the feed line rather than a vented loop: it’d be a quicker feed drawing less power than otherwise (while the pump primes a vented loop) but I’d worry that it could still be forgotten in a really rough sea when someone’s seasick and busy coping with big winds and seas.....just the sort of time that it’d flood. In hindsight I could probably have done similar by just closing the seacock itself each time as it is in easy arms reach immediately beside the toilet ....
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I mounted my tank to self drain.
    It meant that I lost the top of my hanging locker, but there is still room for sailing gear.
    I liked the idea of being able to isolate the drain valve, plus simplifying the plumbing.
    I have no pump out connections.

If you can be sure of regular off shore sailing, gravity draining is ample no?
    Might even create the requisite excuse for a vigorous sail; "gotta drain the poo darl...."

"Time to move anchorage darlings".

The toilet and holding tank plumbing all tested OK with vent and fresh water tank flush lines installed, no leaks or issues at all - so next task is to make sense of the electrics and start installing this tangle of cables and things that blink and make electrickery magic :

[IMG]IMG_2551 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I had initially intended to keep the electrics as simple as possible but have now gone and complicated things. Although I still have the primary power source as the ME alternator, I’m setting up for shore power and a portable solar panel. I’ll have enough 240V power for laptop charging while remote but will also be able to run something like a coffee machine or the like while connected to shore power at a marina. There’s some smart battery management and charging technology included, 'still just a bit hocus pocus to me but it makes enough sense to be comfortable with what I’m getting for my money.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Far too advanced for me, Greg Gonna be spectacular!

Looks a bit as though you took the guts out of your mac and now you've got to work out how to put it all back in there. Stunning photo! Good luck, I'll watch with interest. I might need to do a little of the same in six months or so.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Details of your system Greg? Have you gone with an external regulator on the alternator? I see a lithium battery, what start battery have you?

The toilet and holding tank plumbing all tested OK with vent and fresh water tank flush lines installed, no leaks or issues at all - so next task is to make sense of the electrics and start installing this tangle of cables and things that blink and make electrickery magic :

[IMG]IMG_2551 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I had initially intended to keep the electrics as simple as possible but have now gone and complicated things. Although I still have the primary power source as the ME alternator, I’m setting up for shore power and a portable solar panel. I’ll have enough 240V power for laptop charging while remote but will also be able to run something like a coffee machine or the like while connected to shore power at a marina. There’s some smart battery management and charging technology included, 'still just a bit hocus pocus to me but it makes enough sense to be comfortable with what I’m getting for my money.

Your Victron solar regulator is I assume an MPPT, does it have bluetooth?
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Details? Crikey Andrew now you’re testing me - my "clear” knowledge of the details goes as far as knowing that I have three options to feed electricity into one end and it drifts around in a battery for a little while so that I can turn on a light at the other.......

In truth I am very happy to “try” and answer any questions about this as it’ll be the best way for me to better understand it myself.........possibly.....

There’s something very odd about my comprehension of electrickery, I can understand it well enough and make sense of it when it’s being explained to me but for the life of me I can’t remember it sufficiently to explain it to anyone (including myself) afterwards...... So there is a very large element of trust and faith in my sparky involved here and I won’t deny that I am relying quite a bit on my judge of character, gut feeling and the very positive recommendations from people in the industry here.

While he’s delivered the components early so that I can start fitting them in with the cabinetry, he has still to give me circuit diagrams and a documented description and instruction manual that will stay with the boat. He will come back up a few times and help me through all of the connection work once I have everything in place.

So I’ve had to stretch my memory and search my notes to recall where we got to with the setup: from memory my sparky initially suggested a Balmar 614 alternator regulator and a Balmar temperature sensor. But after looking at the alternator provided with the Yanmar and considering the extra cost of the Balmar setup he was pretty happy that I don’t need one and suggested instead just fitting an inline blower to improve cooling over the alternator.

The start battery is a 50Ah AGM, the house battery is a Victron LiFePo smart 200 Ah and I’m allowing space for a second one to be fitted if a later owner wants to expand it.

The battery monitor panel houses an electronic battery switch setup that sits in the finished panel alongside the switchboard in front of the manual battery switches in that main panel – it includes a start assist button that, as I understand it, bridges the start and house batteries just for the start if needed. But that shouldn’t really be needed as, again if I remember correctly, the start battery has priority charge and I gather can’t be drained by anything but the start so should always be fully charged – I guess unless it starts to fail as it ages.

[IMG]IMG_2553 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Victron MPPT smart solar charge controller, the Victron inverter and the Victron LiFePO battery all have Bluetooth and they also have an internet access capability that I haven’t bothered with.

[IMG]IMG_2554 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2555 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here’s a closer look at the main panel:

[IMG]IMG_2554 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yet to come is the Blue Seas switch panel and I’ve gone for a slightly over compensating 16 switch panel. The size and shape fits the space better than the next option down which is long and narrow and it provides some spare switches for any future expansion.

Last edited by Larks; 09-09-2021 at 04:30 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Very high tech Greg, much impressed.
    I setup a Victron solar regulator for a friend and installed the app on her phone. I like it. I have two Victron regulators, sadly pre Bluetooth.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Thanks Greg. I like the strobe light idea, to scare off unsee-ums(I’m wondering what it’ll do to your night vision though). And the button to connect batteries, saves fumbling around in times of stress. Do you know how the lithium is charged? Is it from a dc-dc via the start battery?
    Im still collecting ideas for my boat although it def/can’t be as fancy as yours. I’ll prob have lithium for house too but two small batt’s to fit in space!

edit: I think I just saw how your house charges, via the Cyrix? In between the battery switches.

Do you know what the Victron gadgets are at top right and bottom left?

excuse my questions
    Last edited by Andrew Donald; 09-09-2021 at 10:10 PM.

Yes, start battery has priority and then DC-DC charger to the house battery.

Interestingly the 100Ah LiFePo batteries weren’t much smaller than the 200Ah and two of them, which I had considered, took up close to double the space by the time I added bases to tie them down to, were heavier for the same power and were the more expensive option. I’m getting trade prices but these below are rough prices from the web.

100Ah - 197mm x 321mm x 152mm 14kg - @$1500 x 2 $3000 (plus additional cable and storage materials)
    200Ah - 237mm x 321mm x 152mm 20kg - @$2790

Here’s a few closer photos of the components if it’s of any use. One of the tricky bits that I’d not seen before was this mains detector that replaces the old clunky shore power switch. As soon as you plug in to shore power it cuts the boat over to it and if the shore power cuts out for some reason it cuts back to the vessels power.

I can select vital and non vital loads so that it starts to shed power to non vital equipment at a certain point so that you don’t drain the battery and can retain power for things like bilge pumps, nav lights, VHF....

This little unit attaches to the inverter:

[IMG]IMG_2556 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2557 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2561 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2559 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

That switchboard photo isn’t actually my switchboard, I don’t/won't have a strobe on this boat but they’re a good idea. I did have one on Pau Hana - the Salar 40, I never needed to use it in an emergency but I know it could be seen for many miles after trying it one night and getting on the radio to see who could see it. Pretty much everyone who responded could at least see it’s loom even if they were well out of sight of the mast head lights.
    Last edited by Larks; 09-10-2021 at 05:30 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Very high tech Greg, much impressed.
    I setup a Victron solar regulator for a friend and installed the app on her phone. I like it. I have two Victron regulators, sadly pre Bluetooth.
    Thanks Gary, it’s a lot more high tech than I had ever planned for this boat - but it’s all in the interests of learning.....(that’s what I keep telling myself)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Those batteries are a bit too much for me Greg, both in cost and size. I have only a little 22’er not your ship like 28’ Ive been looking at a pair of 40or50 amp lithium’s, only 6kg each so I can swap em to the Ute for the fridge.
    Don’t reckon I’ll need an invertor to run a coffee machine either ;-)
    Certainly looks like you found a switched on sparky, good to find someone that’s knows the products and what’s possible.

Very impressive Greg. Makes my upsized engine alternator and fold out solar blanket look prehistoric.

Mal
    Quest

Slowly finishing the last few bits on the Welsford Sundowner "Overkill", then learn to sail it.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish didn't happen. One day!

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post

edit: I think I just saw how your house charges, via the Cyrix? In between the battery switches.

Do you know what the Victron gadgets are at top right and bottom left?

excuse my questions
    Sorry Andrew, I missed these - I’m pretty sure that the Cyrix unit is what allows me to parallel the AGM and LiFePo batteries for a start boost if the AGM start battery fails for some reason.

And re the last question - they are both “smart battery protectors” - I assume that one is for the house battery and the other for the start battery. I had to look up the details:

The Smart BatteryProtect disconnects the battery from non-essential loads before it is completely discharged (which would damage the battery) or before it has insufficient power left to crank the engine.
    When using Bluetooth to program the Smart BatteryProtect any required engage/disengage levels can be set.
    Alternatively, one of nine predefined engage/disengage levels can be set with the programming pin (see manual).

If required, Bluetooth can be disabled.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Very impressive Greg. Makes my upsized engine alternator and fold out solar blanket look prehistoric.

Mal
    Thanks Mal - I’ll still have the fold out solar blanket. What size alternator did you upsize too?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thats neat looking work - good to have the electrics so tidy.
    Ripping out my electrics and redoing from scratch is on my wish list - but first things first.

Are there runs of Cat5 or something through that system? Is there a particular brand or type that can handle a marine environment?

Thats neat looking work - good to have the electrics so tidy.
    Ripping out my electrics and redoing from scratch is on my wish list - but first things first.

Are there runs of Cat5 or something through that system? Is there a particular brand or type that can handle a marine environment?
    Yes, there's Cat5 linking the BMS on that main panel, the inverter and the front panel battery gauge/switch.

I don’t know that any electrics are really designed to cope with a marine environment but I see Victron in a lot if commercial and private vessels. I did look at Enerdrive because they have some “do it yourself” (supposedly) pre built installation kits and they seem to get a good rap’. But they didn’t fit my space and once I found the guys that I’m using, Odyssey Marine Electrics, I didn’t really give Enerdrive another thought.

Progress pic of squeezing it all into place. Now that I have everything screwed down and the start and house batteries also fitted and tied down Jim from OME will come up to help me hook everything up and make sure that I don’t stuff anything up. He’ll have to do any of the 240v install himself.

I’m still waiting on the front switch panel from Blue Seas and it and the battery switch/gauge panel will cover all of this up.

The inverter under the desk doesn’t need to be accessed as everything is controlled up top but it can still be got to if needed.

The two heavy grey flex conduits poking up and flapping in the breeze are the 240v going in and out of the inverter. The one at the back will eventually go to the shore power socket in the cockpit and the one in front will go to a 240v power point with RCD

[IMG]IMG_2594 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

This tricky little unit detects mains 240v power and automatically switches over to it when connected or switches back to ships power (battery) if shore power is unplugged or goes down.

[IMG]IMG_2587 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 09-17-2021 at 03:25 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thanks Mal - I’ll still have the fold out solar blanket. What size alternator did you upsize too?
    It is a Beta 14HP, standard is 40 Amp and I got the 80amp option. The solar blanket is Kings and seems to pump out quite a bit. I don't have many systems and all the lights are LED. Yet to test it to any great extent unfortunately.

Mal
    Quest

Slowly finishing the last few bits on the Welsford Sundowner "Overkill", then learn to sail it.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish didn't happen. One day!

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

This could be complete voodoo, but I put a small computer fan on a timer next to my electrics corner. My theory is moving air will keep the zone fresh and help combat corrosion.
    I have a few around the boat, and a bilge blower acting as an extractor fan sucking air outside.
    Absolutely no idea if it works, but it seems to.

I have a 90amp alternator on my Beta 30hp. My charging system can handle up to 100amp.

On our Vertue Tui of Opua we have used a CRC product called 'Lectra Shield ' on all the electrical connections on board. After commissioning of the electrical system I sprayed 8 to 10 coats of Lectra Shield on all the electrical connections. In 27 years which we have had Tui of Opua in the water we have had no corrosion problems with any connection. If you need to remove or alter a connection you only have to clean the connection with metho on a rag to remove the Lectra Shield. This product is just a wax in a spray can and has been around for years. I have been using it to seal up electrical connections on the communications projects in the tropics (PNG, Tuvalu, Timor, Asia and northern Australia). As you spray it on the connections it looks a bit messy but it does have the ability to exclude oxygen and hence no corrosion. A similar product is used in conjunction with paper wrapping to protect metal parts such as ball bearings, engine parts etc which you would have seen.

Bruce

This could be complete voodoo, but I put a small computer fan on a timer next to my electrics corner. My theory is moving air will keep the zone fresh and help combat corrosion.
    I have a few around the boat, and a bilge blower acting as an extractor fan sucking air outside.
    Absolutely no idea if it works, but it seems to.

I have a 90amp alternator on my Beta 30hp. My charging system can handle up to 100amp.
    Not voodoo Trev’, I fitted some very simple and small solar fans on Pau Hana - well worth it and I plan to do something similar here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Morley View Post
    On our Vertue Tui of Opua we have used a CRC product called 'Lectra Shield ' on all the electrical connections on board. After commissioning of the electrical system I sprayed 8 to 10 coats of Lectra Shield on all the electrical connections. In 27 years which we have had Tui of Opua in the water we have had no corrosion problems with any connection. If you need to remove or alter a connection you only have to clean the connection with metho on a rag to remove the Lectra Shield. This product is just a wax in a spray can and has been around for years. I have been using it to seal up electrical connections on the communications projects in the tropics (PNG, Tuvalu, Timor, Asia and northern Australia). As you spray it on the connections it looks a bit messy but it does have the ability to exclude oxygen and hence no corrosion. A similar product is used in conjunction with paper wrapping to protect metal parts such as ball bearings, engine parts etc which you would have seen.

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce, that’s a great tip and one which I’ll follow up immediately - while I still have easy access to everything and before I start connecting everything else up.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

That is a tight install and looks really neat and tidy. Most non-electrical people just see a jumble of electrical components.

I have a couple of solar extractor fans, one over the chain locker and one in the lazarette.
    The one over the chain locker died early, being forward the salt spray when sailing killed it. I've replaced it and taped off the forward facing sections of the vent, internally, to keep spray out. Will see if it works.

Awesome Greg, you're already with the electrics, well done you!!!

I had re-wired my whole boat in 2007 together with the swap from lead-acid-batteries to AGM, bigger alternator, smart charger from Alternator to Batts, new battery-charger and whatnot. Of course I took it all out and have to start all over again one day. Seeing your neat installation and some of the components I realized I will have to start learning about electrics all over again and find out what's new on the market. I definitely want to have it as simple as possible and as little double-function electronics as possible. Phhhhh, learning never stops :-D!

And Bruce, awesome to hear about the success you had with LectraShield! I had found a seemingly similar product at my electric's shop some while ago and bought it to try out when I reach the point doing all my wiring (again). Years ago I had heaps of green and black cables, so with the re-wiring in 2007 I used "Liquid Electric Tape" together with heatshrink to help prevent future problems. It did work for those few years, but took heaps of time to apply as every single cable-end had to be dealt with separately. A spray, even if I need to apply it in several coats, will make work much easier! Thank you!
    fair winds, Dody
    "They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain
    www.tongabonds.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    Awesome Greg, you're already with the electrics, well done you!!!
    Don’t be deceived by the photos Dody, Ive still got a long way to go yet - I’ve still got the whole cabin structure and hatches to build. I’m doing the complete cabin fit out before the cabin sides and deck go on so that I have completely clear access for materials and really good overhead light from the shed lights, it might not be how others would do it but it makes life soooo much easier .
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Makes complete sense leaving the lid off Greg.. only wish I’d waited to totally finish cabin before I got bored and wanted something new to work on, so consequently I’ve got bits and pieces to still do inside.
    Good tip about that spray that Bruce mentioned. I found something like it a few years back but memory cells aren’t warmed up yet.

For sure! If one has a dry shed to put the boat in - which I haven't. On top of that I'm a liveaboard and every tiny bit of protection is good protection
    fair winds, Dody
    "They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain
    www.tongabonds.com

Man I step away for a few months and you make incredible progress. Looks great, Larks!

Thanks Pez', very much appreciated mate.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary