Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 949585960 LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,065 of 2095

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I’ll let you know in an hour or so. Bye the way, sorry to hear that Outback Marine were no help, I was hoping to be proven wrong about them - given that it's been so long since I’ve really dealt with them.......
    maybe they were put off being a small boat and things aren’t as “dry” as on a bigger boat or more likely there wasn’t enough cream in the job or work for their installers.

'Long overdue for an update:

Engine exhaust system is in as far as the transom (ready to be mounted after hull painting); old holes in transom cleaned up; some hull plank splining and repairs done; fuel tank, fuel filter and lines in; cockpit gutter and drains in; cockpit and aft deck down; engine access hatch made up; gas locker in; plan for batteries and electrics mostly worked out; location for a head found (under the nav’ station seat); BW holding tank fabrication underway and busy playing with mockups for the cabin and trying to make sure I don’t get too far ahead of myself.

[IMG]IMG_1312 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1315 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1324 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1384 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1408 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1449 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 12-13-2020 at 05:47 AM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

This cheeky bugger gave me a bit of a start - when I grabbed him to move him on he managed to get his head poked through a spare boat cradle wheel and wouldn’t let it go. I managed to carry him out and move him on but with the wheel still attached, about 2kg worth, there was nothing that I could do to untangle him without doing him (her?) some damage so 'figured best to let him keep it and come back and get it later.

[IMG]IMG_1428 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I made the cockpit up in place and glassed the corners lightly so that I could lift it out and glass it up properly

[IMG]IMG_1330 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1424 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1427 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1405 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 12-13-2020 at 07:26 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

[IMG]IMG_1445 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1465 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1467 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1468 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

A temp’ coat of paint on the transom to look after it and to try out some paint - International Toplac - it’ll come off when I do the final paint and will be replaced with Awlgrip in Oyster white.

[IMG]IMG_1438 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I decided to go with a single burner Eno Attol gas (propane) stove and will have a small BBQ on the transom, so I had to go down the path of getting a licensed gas fitter in to fit a 2 metre gas line along with a bayonet fitting in the cockpit that the BBQ can plug into via a removable gas hose. The gas bottle locker has to be fully sealed and vented/drained overboard but in order to maintain some storage space I’ve shoe-horned it into the aft end of the port cockpit locker - it ended up a bit of a Frankenstein locker but makes best use of the space and so it works:

[IMG]IMG_1536 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1540 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1555 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1556 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1557 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Aft deck glued down, just trying to make sure that I have everything done under the cockpit side decks before I start moving further forward with the decking so that I don’t make things difficult for myself

[IMG]IMG_1501 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 12-13-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

[IMG]IMG_1503 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I thought I had the fuel tank in for the final time but unfortunately I’m going to have to take it out again to fit the engine controls in to place:

[IMG]IMG_1505 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1506 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looking for inspiration with MDF mockups - this definitely isn’t final but it shows roughly where the head will go - under the nav station seat - and gives me an idea how much coverage I need over the engine

[IMG]IMG_1494 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The cockpit sole setup may have appeared a little odd but I was aiming for a compromise between getting the depth of the cockpit that I want and allowing for clearance over the engine up forward, so I came up with a step and a couple of storage boxes integral to the lift out section of the cabin sole:

[IMG]IMG_1488 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]y

[IMG]IMG_1514 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

The plan is for the cockpit sole and step to be Teaked -

[IMG]IMG_
    by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The lift up step gives me easy access to the header tank
    [IMG]IMG_1532 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 12-13-2020 at 07:31 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I’d originally thought I might fit a small camp toilet/Porta potty for a head but in reality it was working out harder to find the space for even the smallest one than it would be for a small toilet with a macerator pump.

So now that I’m going down that path I’m also fitting a small (@20 litre) black water holding tank to allow for coastal cruising and cruising up in the Great Barrier Reef where there are waste water pump out restrictions within 1NM of shore. It’ll be tucked away outboard of the Nav station and vented overboard below the gunwale. The head is just a cheap TMC electric with a macerator pump which can be diverted either to the holding tank or directly overboard. The holding tank will have a second pump to allow it to be pumped out directly into a marine waste system or to be pumped out at sea where allowable.

I’m fab'ing the holding tank up myself to shape it to the hull and minimise space - using polyester resin for the tank, which is a first for me (using polyester resin):

[IMG]IMG_1572 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1583 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1582 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Modelling clay to round the corners:

[IMG]IMG_1587 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I used 600 gsm chopped strand, because that’s what I had available, three layers - with one long sheet running down the flat face, base and rear and seperate side pieces overlapping by about 30mm all around. Although the 600gsm was a little stiff it laid down and soaked up quite well when wetted out with the polyester resin.

[IMG]IMG_1589 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1590 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 12-13-2020 at 07:35 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

You’ve been busy with the camera Greg Thanks for the update. Can you tell us which way you went with your electrical system in the end?
    Last edited by Andrew Donald; 12-13-2020 at 01:37 AM.

I’m reasonably happy with the outcome, it still needs to be trimmed and a lid made and glassed on but it should do the job.

The black marks are from where I marked the glass mat with a sharpie when I was cutting it.....

[IMG]IMG_1592 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1593 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I’m not sure what happened here though - it looked like I had everything very well wetted out when I left it alone to cure but on removing it from the mould one side appears to have a few dry spots that I'll need to clean up

[IMG]IMG_1594 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The modelling clay did a nice job on the corners and a good coverage of release wax meant that it came out of the mould nicely.

[IMG]IMG_1596 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 12-13-2020 at 07:37 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Wow Larks, you're roaring through it.
    powerful stuff!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

In the meantime I’m also still working on the electrical set up and although that’s still a work in progress and a bit if a learning curve, I’ve got a couple of good friends on side to keep me on the right track and my neighbours son who is doing an engineering degree has offered to draw it up for me on one of his engineering design programs (for a bottle of Auchentoshan.....that I’ll no doubt help him drink ).

I’ve contacted the Enerdrive customer support guys and although I don’t rank them on customer support (they really weren’t any help at all) I’m still pretty keen to go with their product after talking to quite a few guys around here through the last week who have fitted their product to their motorhomes and boats. It looks clean, durable, simple, readily available and supported here in Oz and expandable so I’m pretty comfortable with it as a good option.

I’m going with a 200Ah Lithium house battery and an AGM start battery and although I’ll primarily rely on alternator charging from the PDE I’ll have a portable solar panel for battery maintenance at anchor/on a mooring and the Enerdrive system will also allow dual charging from both the alternator and solar panel simultaneously while cruising.

I’m not yet decided on whether I want to include an actual shore power plug-in set up or an inverter, given that the only 240v system that I (currently) see having on board will likely be the 12v/240 V Engel fridge but I am still looking at what is involved in terms of cost, space and convenience.

One suggestion was to just fit a decent 12v battery charger and that seems like a sensible and simple idea... Either way, with the Enerdrive system it is easily expandable and anything else can be added later if someone wants to shoe-horn in a microwave, coffee machine, TV or something ........ as long as I allow the space and access on the board.

https://enerdrive.com.au
    Last edited by Larks; 12-13-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Wow Larks, you're roaring through it.
    powerful stuff!
    I wish I could agree Trev’, in all honesty I’m no-where near where I’d hoped to be by now. I’m finding myself doing a lot if head scratching trying to look 15 steps ahead so that I don’t paint myself into a corner and trying to resolve challenges that I seem to be creating for myself............... along with a few distractions and a bit of a break in play with a crook back that’s slowed me down a bit.....

But I’m happy enough with how its coming along and I reckon once I get to the stage where I can glue down the cockpit side decks a few things will come together in one hit that’ll make me feel a little more advanced.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    You’ve been busy with the camera Greg Thanks for the update. Can you tell us which way you went with your electrical system in the end?
    Sorry Andrew, I missed your post earlier while typing - post #2042 probably covers as much as I know at the moment but let me know if you want any clarification or anything that came of my discussions with Doug and Leon last week, both of whom were incredibly helpful.

Deciding on the batteries was really the immediate requirement so that I could work out where I’d be able to place them. The 200Ah Lithium can go in front of the fuel tank, accessible behind what will effectively be the electrical control board which will be behind the switch board - somehow.... (yet to be mocked up and proven for space). The AGM start battery will go somewhere out of the way under the cockpit sole.

I’m yet to confirm if I can parallel the Lithium to the AGM to boost the start battery (I’ve had conflicting advice but I’m inclined to think that I can’t ) but I can switch completely over and use the Lithium house battery as a start battery if the AGM dies for some reason, so I do still have redundancy.
    Last edited by Larks; 12-13-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Interesting: 650 views of this thread since I bothered to (finally) post an update and only two blokes commented. I guess I need to acknowledge that there’s not a great deal of interest here and that the thread is dead. Less time fooling around trying to post photos and more time working on the boat, can’t really complain about that.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

One suggestion was to just fit a decent 12v battery charger and that seems like a sensible and simple idea...
    Thats all I do.
    Maybe if it was in a marina, permanently hooked up to shore power - then a properly sealed socket penetration makes sense. Living on a mooring i never have access to 240v power - only in haul-outs really.

Sorry to hear about your crook back. Pain is ..... a effin pain! It affects your whole life.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Like the 647 others, I'm enjoying the ride and have no reason to back seat drive the project.
    Keep up the good work.

Interesting: 650 views of this thread since I bothered to (finally) post an update and only two blokes commented. I guess I need to acknowledge that there’s not a great deal of interest here and that the thread is dead. Less time fooling around trying to post photos and more time working on the boat, can’t really complain about that.
    Sorry you feel like that Greg, but you discount people such as I that are absorbing and learning but have little technical to offer. I for one have always read about your progress with a great deal of interest.

Keep up the good work Greg. I'm a relative newbie to the forum and enjoy your posts. You have over 10 years of interesting posts and a lot of viewers.
    Do not take the lack of comments as a lack of interest. Keep on keeping on and just have fun with it.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

And Merry Christmas.

Lots of lurkers Greg. I do a post on my Redwing thread and much the same....doesn't mean we don't care
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

I care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I have nothing valuable to offer, but I (and 649 others) enjoy watching your work! Please keep posting!

Beautiful work, impressive pace. Thank you for taking the time to document things so well - I'm learning a lot.

Also:

[IMG][/IMG]
    What in tarnation is this? I lived in Queensland long enough to earn a trembling fear of local snakes. As a marine - and not terrestrial - biologist, any identification more precise than "oh christ it's another snake" was totally beyond me. Figuring out species would have been impossible anyway what with my already having fled the scene. And here you've got one as a playmate.

Australia: Even the sea foam has snakes in it.
    Australia: Everything is beautiful and will kill you.

Thanks again,

James
    Last edited by pez_leon; 12-17-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Do not take the lack of comments as a lack of interest. Keep on keeping on and just have fun with it.
    Cheers,
    And Merry Christmas.
    Likewise - I don't have much to add; Larrikin is developing into a very different H28 than my Holiday.

One question on the recent photos of woodwork - are all those corners and cubbies accessible for ventilation and inspection?

Curtis

In the meantime I’m also still working on the electrical set up and although that’s still a work in progress and a bit if a learning curve, I’ve got a couple of good friends on side to keep me on the right track and my neighbours son who is doing an engineering degree has offered to draw it up for me on one of his engineering design programs (for a bottle of Auchentoshan.....that I’ll no doubt help him drink ).

I’ve contacted the Enerdrive customer support guys and although I don’t rank them on customer support (they really weren’t any help at all) I’m still pretty keen to go with their product after talking to quite a few guys around here through the last week who have fitted their product to their motorhomes and boats. It looks clean, durable, simple, readily available and supported here in Oz and expandable so I’m pretty comfortable with it as a good option.

I’m going with a 200Ah Lithium house battery and an AGM start battery and although I’ll primarily rely on alternator charging from the PDE I’ll have a portable solar panel for battery maintenance at anchor/on a mooring and the Enerdrive system will also allow dual charging from both the alternator and solar panel simultaneously while cruising.

I’m not yet decided on whether I want to include an actual shore power plug-in set up or an inverter, given that the only 240v system that I (currently) see having on board will likely be the 12v/240 V Engel fridge but I am still looking at what is involved in terms of cost, space and convenience.

One suggestion was to just fit a decent 12v battery charger and that seems like a sensible and simple idea... Either way, with the Enerdrive system it is easily expandable and anything else can be added later if someone wants to shoe-horn in a microwave, coffee machine, TV or something ........ as long as I allow the space and access on the board.

https://enerdrive.com.au
    Sounds excellent! Are you going to post a pic of the final schematic? Or will the Auchentoshan keep you from handling the camera ?

I just think from my own experience on the same that if the thread or a post is of value or interest to one person out of the 600 or 1000 views then it's worth it. I'm just as guilty as anyone of thinking 'oh, cool' and staying quiet. Sometimes I even see people pushed into doing unecessary or even wrong things by the voices that shout loudest in this place, theres just no point in saying anything. But never in your case because you know what you're doing.

You understand why the faceplant model works so well with its like button eh.
    I remember when we didn't have a view counter here, not only could there be a situation of no or few replies but you had no idea if anyone even looked.
    Last edited by John B; 12-17-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pez_leon View Post
    Beautiful work, impressive pace. Thank you for taking the time to document things so well - I'm learning a lot.

Also:

What in tarnation is this? I lived in Queensland long enough to earn a trembling fear of local snakes. As a marine - and not terrestrial - biologist, any identification more precise than "oh christ it's another snake" was totally beyond me. Figuring out species would have been impossible anyway what with my already having fled the scene. And here you've got one as a playmate.

Thanks again,

James
    Carpet python, basically harmless.

My apologies all if that seemed like a whine, it wasn’t intended as such - more of an observation and acknowledgement, there’s nothing quite like the feeling that everyone suddenly left the auditorium when you started speaking .

However point taken and I’m keen to keep the thread going anyway as I’ve found it a good reminder for myself of previous advice, suggestions and my own ideas that I’ve long forgotten over such a long winded project......

cheers all and thanks
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by pez_leon View Post

Thanks again,

James
    As Gary says, it’s a carpet python James. They’re essentially harmless but can still give you a nasty bite if you don’t treat them kindly. Interestingly we’d not seen many snakes up here on our block for the last 15 years but this year we’re seeing quite a few, mostly pythons and tree snakes which both seem to like hunting around my shed. I’m hoping we don’t see anything nastier as the weather warms up, we do get Tiger snakes and King Brown’s up here and they’re not the sort of characters that I’m going to pick up and move out of the shed..........and it’s illegal to kill them here.......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

My apologies all if that seemed like a whine, it wasn’t intended as such - more of an observation and acknowledgement, there’s nothing quite like the feeling that everyone suddenly left the auditorium when you started speaking .

However point taken and I’m keen to keep the thread going anyway as I’ve found it a good reminder for myself of previous advice, suggestions and my own ideas that I’ve long forgotten over such a long winded project......

cheers all and thanks
    I can't even do a thread on my next boat as it's going to be fibreglass.
    Suppose I could do a timber fitout.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I can't even do a thread on my next boat as it's going to be fibreglass.
    Suppose I could do a timber fitout.

Absolutely do that Gary - I vaguely remember a thread here a few years ago of someone fitting out a bare FG hull with the intention of it looking something like a traditional timber yacht and I reckon there’s plenty of room for that on this forum.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Yeh look at Gypsie he’s got a glass boat boat with timber fit out. Just done it the hard way

648 more "that's great" would make the thread useless.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    648 more "that's great" would make the thread useless.
    And yet just a handful of them on any thread can make all the difference......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Don't know if this is of interest Greg, but Arbor R800 3 Phase Overhead Router + Pins & Bits. $250, it's in Nerang.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...05798417745554