Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 29383940 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,365 of 1703

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

I really wish I could do this kind of work!

Bugger - just lost the next post somehow.......should have done it in word and copied it, ‘try again:

The end result of the corners, I’m pretty pleased with them:

[IMG]IMG_9519 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I sealed the outside edges of the marine ply with epoxy and filled the gaps created by the spacers. The anchor chain locker is likely to be a little damp from time to time so best not to invite moisture problems within where they can be avoided:

[IMG]IMG_9515 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9518 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the finished panel:

[IMG]IMG_9523 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I love this cedar and am incredibly grateful to Johnno for gifting it to me (in the form of his grandfathers wardrobe):

[IMG]IMG_9526 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

And sitting in place but not yet fixed.

The floor below the bulkhead is not square to the hull and the frames either side are also slightly off square. So before final fit I’ve got a bit of fiddling to do with spacers and a mounting system to line the bulkhead up with the deck frame and compromise as best I can with the frames and floor.

[IMG]IMG_9530 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Meanwhile, a bit of primer ready for paint on the anchor chain locker side

[IMG]IMG_9539 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 07-26-2017 at 06:46 AM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

And while the paint is drying, some planning and measuring for the forward bunk and next bulkhead panels and...........well and I’m not sure yet just exactly what I’m going to do here, (despite having thought about it for the last 10 years) but I reckon I’ll work it out as I go:

[IMG]IMG_9537 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

these hieroglyphics do actually mean something to me

[IMG]IMG_9538 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

That’s a bit weird, I just realised that somehow I doubled up that post #1327 when losing the following one
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

These edgings really finish the panels well Greg .

The ply is nearly invisible !

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Ultra Shmick

Where's the head going, Greg? In it's own cubicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Where's the head going, Greg? In it's own cubicle?
    That’s my conundrum John - I keep changing my mind on whether to have a cubicle and a toilet with macerator or some sort of under-bench porta-loo arrangement, also whether to position it up forward or back aft, as I’ve seen on another H28 .

I have some vague ideas on options and will mock it up again and see what inspiration takes me......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Looks to me like your laser is a bit to stbd. Sorry, it's just in my nature, I had to find something! That bulkhead is amazing! Although when I looked at the pictures I thought you'd gone right ahead and done a 60's makeover and given it a coat of paint. ARRRGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Looks to me like your laser is a bit to stbd. Sorry, it's just in my nature, I had to find something! That bulkhead is amazing! Although when I looked at the pictures I thought you'd gone right ahead and done a 60's makeover and given it a coat of paint. ARRRGH!
    Could be Phil, though I was using it for the horizontal level at the time. You can see that the stem also isn’t vertical, I’ve got the boat sitting level to the deck.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Could be Phil, though I was using it for the horizontal level at the time. You can see that the stem also isn’t vertical, I’ve got the boat sitting level to the deck.
    Yeah I was assuming it didn't need to be centred

Beautiful .... but I'm worried; if that's the $%#@%$#@ anchor locker ! .........

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Beautiful .... but I'm worried; if that's the $%#@%$#@ anchor locker ! .........

Rick
    What are you worried about Rick? That was the easiest one and I figured it a good test piece to work out how to do the rest.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

That’s my conundrum John - I keep changing my mind on whether to have a cubicle and a toilet with macerator or some sort of under-bench porta-loo arrangement, also whether to position it up forward or back aft, as I’ve seen on another H28 .

I have some vague ideas on options and will mock it up again and see what inspiration takes me......
    Have you considered an Airhead Greg ? http://airheadtoilet.com/
    Grateful Dead

What are you worried about Rick? That was the easiest one and I figured it a good test piece to work out how to do the rest.
    How far into the shade my galley will be if yours matches that chain locker!!

Rick

How far into the shade my galley will be if yours matches that chain locker!!

Rick
    Yep, he's just not thinking of the effect that kind of work has on we lesser mortals .
    Grateful Dead

Maybe WB's attitude and Pbucket's irresponsibility is not such an ill wind after all.

Rick

Well that answers my other question - do you have a layout drawing for the fit-out?

I've been pondering the head issue on exactly the same lines, hence my question. I'm thinking that it really comes down to how the boat will be used, and how often. If we sail her frequently, but only for the day, a porta-loo is fine. If we find we're spending a week at a time at Rottnest, we'll be sick of the porta-loo after the first couple of trips.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Have you considered an Airhead Greg ? http://airheadtoilet.com/
    Only very briefly Peter - they’re just too big to be practical on the H28.

To give you an idea, the airhead is 502mm high x 356mm wide and 445mm deep at the base, (or 349mm to the angled cutout at the back)

This drum is 400mm high and just under 300mm across at the rim, maybe 280mm at the base. Unless I sit it right on the cabin sole and encroach on the cabin space that is too high (and far too deep):

[IMG]IMG_9543 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

This one is 300mm high and 300mm dia’, it’s just about right where it is in the pic for a comfortably useable height - i.e. being able to sit on it with your feet on the floor:

[IMG]IMG_9540 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The smallest portable toilets that I’ve looked at appear to be around 350mm high, 350mm deep and 300mm wide for a 10 litre one. The only place one’d fit functionally inside would be under the main steps up to the cockpit.

I can see the advantages of just going for a compact marine toilet, including being able to move it further outboard with the narrower base and something like this Jabsco might do the trick. Although it’s 350mm high, it could be mounted lower than my 300mm mock-up bucket bringing it to the same sort of “comfort” height. I’m not sure about this particular one, but some allow you to rotate the bowl in relation to the base to maximise use of space, i.e. to have the motor at either side or at the rear.

Last edited by Larks; 07-26-2017 at 09:03 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Well that answers my other question - do you have a layout drawing for the fit-out?

I've been pondering the head issue on exactly the same lines, hence my question. I'm thinking that it really comes down to how the boat will be used, and how often. If we sail her frequently, but only for the day, a porta-loo is fine. If we find we're spending a week at a time at Rottnest, we'll be sick of the porta-loo after the first couple of trips.

Too many drawings John, and all pretty much worthless when it comes down to the crunch.

My problem is trying to cover the multiple issues of my open-plan design hopes, usage, space and comfort (in terms of smells, use of space and privacy). Personally I rarely use a toilet at sea and if I’m in a marina I use the marina facilities or pee over the side at night, but if I want Kate to join me or if I want it to be appealing to a future buyer, I believe the toilet is a necessary evil.

Having it right behind the fwd bunk is inconvenient in terms of personal space and privacy at night if we are both sleeping on board (but again I’d just go overboard) - a port-loo could be moved into the cockpit at night to resolve that but I can’t stand the smell of the chemicals used in them on board a boat.

The solution that I’m pondering right now, as I type, may end up being something like the electric Jabsco marine toilet (with macerator and a small holding tank) fitted just behind the fwd bunk, stbd side, inside a compact closet and used with the door open to provide the required leg space and privacy from the cockpit (i.e. the door to close hard against the front edge of the toilet bowl to maximise space in the cabin)....PLUS provision for a 10 litre porta-loo under a cockpit seat.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I think offsetting the toilet works well on a smaller boat putting it inside a compact closet also solves the visual and privacy aspects.
    I feel much as you do about marine heads and those through hulls, it is also interesting to note that the two people I installed WB's head in mind with have never used it. Wether using a door or a curtain privacy is an issue as well as space usage and legislation requirements.

Then again since your through hulls are already there a closet can always be converted for a Porto pot or aditiona storage at a latter date.

you do amazing work Larks! looks very lux! I'm jealous!

Thanks Jase, cheers
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

This morning was pretty much lost to completing and lodging my BAS return, so this afternoon has been a bit of a planning opportunity for the next stage.

I’m pretty sure that I’ll go with my idea of the closet for a toilet as described above and will go with the Jabsco electric toilet with macerator (whether it ever gets used or not). It looks like it will fit snugly within two frames immediately aft of the forward bunk and reasonably outside of the line of the cabin sole.

Here’s a mock up to plot where and how it can sit - the flush feed line sits behind the top of the bowl well enough and the motor can be rotated 90 degrees to the side, rather than the rear, so the base can be pushed back closer to the hull side:

[IMG]IMG_9546 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9547 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The seat ends up a comfortable 50mm above the cabin sole and the back of it is just slightly forward of the line of the side deck above it, so unless someone sits with their head thrown back it should be a perfectly adequate solution.

Other than that, a bit of tick stick action to get the line of the hull side for the next set of panels

[IMG]IMG_9548 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9551 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is on a scrap of MDF, I won’t be using this line as gospel but will cut it out and hot glue a hedgehog of small sticks around the edge to get a more accurate hull profile for the panels.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Another method for curved surfaces is a washer and pencil. You just run the pencil inside the washer along your roughly cut template and then just transfer by tracing a line of arcs. It's quicker than sticks.

Rick

The tick stick is a brilliant tool eh ?
    Grateful Dead

Larks you could also make your own dehydrating toilet. The urine separator can be bought and the bucket you make custom to fit the space. You could even veneer with some of that lovely cedar to have the "cedar bucket" look. When you are alone (or at night) just move the thing in the cockpit and use the closet for storage. After all an airhead is just a bucket with an agitator a separator and a bottle. Easy to make with some bendy ply and epoxy.

Another method for curved surfaces is a washer and pencil. You just run the pencil inside the washer along your roughly cut template and then just transfer by tracing a line of arcs. It's quicker than sticks.

Rick
    That does give a better scribe of the curve but doesn’t work so well in capturing the three sides in the same template, i.e. including the floor and underside of the deck beam, BUT - I reckon I’ll do as you suggest and capture the curve with the washer and then the floor and deck with the glued sticks
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Yes, that's just what I do!

I have EXACTLY the same issues with Masina's toilet! There's just nowhere reasonable to put the bloody thing without upsetting the whole cabin or putting it in the v-berth which is really inconvenient - but what I have to do. I think you need a huge, tall boat for one of those composting toilets. I've bought a manual Lavac toilet but I think I should have bought an electric one. I have a small holding tank that'll be mounted fairly high and can be flushed out when at sea. I have a portable toilet too but never use it - too much fuss. We use a bucket but visitors hate that. The toilet will be good for visitors.

Rick

Greg, what are the holding tank / pump out regulations now in Qld ?
    Grateful Dead

Greg, what are the holding tank / pump out regulations now in Qld ?
    Same as everywhere Peter, in a nutshell: if it’s in waters where discharge is allowed it must be macerated before discharge, if it’s in non-discharge designated waters it must go into a holding tank. There’s a bit more to it than that in terms of treated waste (macerated is not considered treated) and different types of areas, but it covers the requirements pretty much as applies to a private yacht - at least as I understand it anyway.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

What size holding tank will you fit Greg ? Solid or flexible.
    Grateful Dead

What size holding tank will you fit Greg ? Solid or flexible.
    No idea really Peter, I only just decided on what to do this afternoon, but more than likely a solid plastic tank of whatever size I can find off the shelf that I can make fit. I do have a contact to have them made up to suit but that’s not the cheapest option.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

No idea really Peter, I only just decided on what to do this afternoon, but more than likely a solid plastic tank of whatever size I can find off the shelf that I can make fit. I do have a contact to have them made up to suit but that’s not the cheapest option.
    If you are looking for one Peter, have a look at what these guys do. http://www.marinedirect.com.au/catal...gory1629/c2584
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thanks, a good link! I don't need one now but depending on my health I may undertake a new built post JIM in the water.
    Grateful Dead