Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27363738 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,295 of 1567

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Franna - Franner, same same (though probably not known outside of Oz?)
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Greg, do you want me to delete that crane image ?
    No, all good
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I think I need a new clutch - 'really struggling to shift into gear and make a proper restart on the H28....just fartarsing around the edges at the moment. 'Rather disheartening to see some more of these glue lines opening up and tossing up whether to deal with them now or to get into the fit-out and leave the splining of them until closer to external hull painting and launch. There aren’t that many but one looks like one of my previous splining efforts so that’s disappointing.

I had a call yesterday offering to put me up for another work contract interstate after an earlier one (which I didn’t really want) fell through. The timing of this one is a little better and the dollars will be very useful towards the rebuild, but it could mean another year away from home so I expect there may be one or two more glue lines open up in that time.

I’m kinda looking at the boat at the moment and wondering who did all of the work on her so far and where has that person gone........???
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg, what you've done so far is marvellous, and suggests that you are doing a thorough job without a deadline. If the likely completion date moves another year or two, it would not matter. Chin up, mate!

I hope this cheers you, that's my intention!

Probably hard to get up to speed when you are seriously contemplating another longish gig away. Particulrly as you note, a few more splines done now might just need more of the same later. I've got some shade cloth rigged on the northern side of Balia in her berth to protect her topsides from our harsh dry sun as much as possible. Doesn't look wonderful, like a building covered in scaffold and shade cloth, but without the scaffold. She had a few slightly opened seams when I bought her. I repaired those. A few more opened up over the last few years. I've repaired those. I have no doubt that it will be an ongoing thing. It's something that mostly bothers me for when I get to the next topsides paint job. It needs to be something that can take spot repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Greg, what you've done so far is marvellous, and suggests that you are doing a thorough job without a deadline. If the likely completion date moves another year or two, it would not matter. Chin up, mate!

I hope this cheers you, that's my intention!
    Thanks John, much appreciated. As much as I was aiming to relaunch her this year for her 50th anniversary, I’m not too fussed if that passes for the sake of boosting the bank account, but I’d like to get her to Hobart in 2019 and this 12 month contract, if it comes through, would be the right timing to top up the bank account and to achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Probably hard to get up to speed when you are seriously contemplating another longish gig away. Particulrly as you note, a few more splines done now might just need more of the same later. I've got some shade cloth rigged on the northern side of Balia in her berth to protect her topsides from our harsh dry sun as much as possible. Doesn't look wonderful, like a building covered in scaffold and shade cloth, but without the scaffold. She had a few slightly opened seams when I bought her. I repaired those. A few more opened up over the last few years. I've repaired those. I have no doubt that it will be an ongoing thing. It's something that mostly bothers me for when I get to the next topsides paint job. It needs to be something that can take spot repairs.
    I think that’s the rub of it Phil - stopping to get a submission in at short notice for the contract took the wind out of my sails a bit and when I went back to the boat afterwards and again this morning I’ve found that I just can’t clutch in. The prospect of the last contract was what diverted me back to house projects rather than starting on Larrikin.

But if I do get this contract it will be a little closer (than Darwin and Perth) so should allow me to get home more often than the previous ones, i.e. hopefully at least fortnightly, so I’m of a mind that if I can get some headway on the refit I can set her up with projects to keep going with on my weekends home.

Anyway, nothing’s going to happen sitting here dwelling on it - I reckon I may just go and sit in the boat and dwell on it instead and hope that some form of inspiration smacks me in the face.......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I find doing a tidy up in the shed gets me back into gear, not that your shed probably needs a tidy up.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I find doing a tidy up in the shed gets me back into gear, not that your shed probably needs a tidy up.
    Oh it does indeed, and that’s just what I’ve been doing the morning. So far my procrastination has resulted in:

One trip to the dump;
    Finally built some bracing for the sagging shelves in my tool cupboard;
    Finally built a rack for the PVC pipe that I have left over from the house and dust extraction system
    Finally hung up some hooks to stow some step ladders, fans, work lights etc off the floor
    Culled my weirdly large collection of accumulated paint stirring sticks
    Culled a handful of dead tools that I’m never really going to get around to repairing (or selling)
    Cleared my work bench
    Emptied my dust bag (chocker block full.....note to check it more often)
    Glued back two brass ships clock glasses and pulled their mechanisms apart to replace them (plastic geared cheap rubbish)
    Put all sorts of things away where they belong ..........
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

It feels good doesn't it ? My shed is in need of a major do over, the normal rubbish plus nearly a year's worth of dust and blown in leaves.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I put up shadecloth to keep the leaves out.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

My shed is too big and too open Gary.
    Grateful Dead

Good luck with that new contract Greg. And as you know a yacht in the shed is certainly safer than hanging of a mooring with wind guststong up to 30 knots.

Think we all get builders block Greg. As you say, sit in the boat with a note pad you will soon get going. I'd leave the splines till last but that's me.

Good luck with the contract.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    Think we all get builders block Greg. As you say, sit in the boat with a note pad you will soon get going. I'd leave the splines till last but that's me.

Good luck with the contract.

Mike
    Thanks Mike, I reckon you are right on leaving the splines to last and three votes to none now seals it. It may make cleaning up a bit of glue squeeze out on the inside a little more difficult but I reckon I can build the fitout to allow for that.

So I’m thinking I’ll start on the fit out and kick off up forward with the anchor locker bulkhead and work my way back, replacing or sistering the couple of floors that I want to along the way.

The last thing that I’d done was to make up a template for that forward bulkhead so I dusted it off this evening and will crack into that as my first real job tomorrow and, hopefully, create a bit of momentum by just starting on something.

Last edited by Larks; 07-19-2017 at 04:59 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

My shed is too big and too open Gary.
    That it is but at least we know only optimistic leaves will enter.

John Welsford

A bit of headway on the anchor locker bulkhead:

Like a lot of things on this boat, this particular bulkhead is another bit of an experiment (and a cheat) - I plan to build floating panels for bulkheads and wherever else it suits but as this one will also house the anchor and chain I’ve decided to back it with marine play and "face" it with the same paneling as I’ll use elsewhere so that it’s more durable where it’s likely to get knocked about by the anchor and chain.

Sort of a semi-floating paneling arrangement in that the centre panels can still float but the framing will be glued to the ply.

Here’s the bulkhead panel cut to fit and the semi-floating panel arrangement marked out, with the makings for the facing on the bench to the right:

I have a swag of mahogany left over from other boat builds from various sources and some lovely cedar panels from Johnno’s grandfathers wardrobe.

They are surprisingly similar in grain and colour so I’ll use the cedar for the centre panels and the mahogany for the surrounds and see how it looks.

a couple of runs through the thicknesser and the cedar looks just lovely - thank you Johnno :

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    That it is but at least we know only optimistic leaves will enter.
    Well played !
    Grateful Dead

A thicknesser is a wonderful thing

A thicknesser is a wonderful thing
    Particularly one with spiral head cutters��
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Nice cedar.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Particularly one with spiral head cutters��
    Something I'd love on my ancient Jeffwood!

How do the tables align on that machine Greg ? All OK?
    Grateful Dead

Something I'd love on my ancient Jeffwood!

How do the tables align on that machine Greg ? All OK?
    Spot on Peter - I checked all over this thing before I bought it after learning my lesson in buying the Laguna band-saw that I ended up returning because the frame was twisted (on ALL of them, a manufacturing issue). And I’m very careful with handling it not to lift or rest anything heavy the tables, which seems to be the cause of most misalignments.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Yes, I've read lots of bad reports about combinations , thus my question.
    Grateful Dead

Yes, I've read lots of bad reports about combinations , thus my question.
    So had I and I was originally convinced they’re not such a good thing, but with space a premium so I did a bit of reading and a fair bit of research into what to look for before I bought this one and I’m very happy with it. Very, very, very easy to swap between functions (takes seconds) and a delight to use.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

A bit of fiddling around and too-ing and fro-ing today to get tools set up right for the job, but I’ve mostly now got the makings for the bulkhead panels joined, cut and shaped ready to put together.

Meanwhile, for a preview, I’ve put together a couple of offcuts to get a look at how the colours of the two timbers will work together and to check the depths of my cuts, thicknesses, edge shaping and so on to see how well they all go together.

I’m pretty happy with the result

(But I don’t know how to reduce the size of these photos when I use Google photos, I have them on the smallest of the two settings that I can see. So if anyone has any tips......??)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Can't see your photo at all

No image Greg. SmugMug has been recommended.
    Grateful Dead

The H28 thread is back! Great! Good luck with it Greg and your work dilemma! Very pleased to see this thread back!

Rick

Can't see your photo at all
    No image Greg. SmugMug has been recommended.
    I thought Gary had success with Google photos - is there a trick to sharing them?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Try this one - I’ve tried one using my web site:

bugger - that’s no much good

gawd, this is like Goldilocks

that’s better (though uploading and then downloading from my web site isn’t anywhere near as convenient as Photobucket......very clunky)
    Last edited by Larks; 07-21-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I thought Gary had success with Google photos - is there a trick to sharing them?
    They work for me, I just copy and past image, there's no url to past.
    Grateful Dead

That cedar looks great Greg, different types. The bit in the middle looks like old growth cur 100 years ago, like an old skirting board out of Brisbane.
    Grateful Dead

That cedar looks great Greg, different types. The bit in the middle looks like old growth cur 100 years ago, like an old skirting board out of Brisbane.
    It’s at least that, being Johnno’s grandfathers wardrobe
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

They work for me, I just copy and past image, there's no url to past.
    OK - here’s a try at doing that:

can anyone see this pic other than me?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Yep

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book