Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 4150515261 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,785 of 2583

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

  1. #1751
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I hope the heat in your workshop is OK for the huon Greg, different humidity should be OK as it will gain moisture rather than crack.

    BEAUTIFUL WOOD!!!
    It should be fine Peter - but then that’s the idea of buying it far enough in advance to stabilise it before putting it on the boat
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  2. #1752
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    vancouver, british columbia
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    I salute your perseverance, Larks - I remember thinking years ago what a huge project this would be when you had just gutted her and started cleaning up the hull. May you endure to the bitter end!


  3. #1753
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,467

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Maybe a spot for a Dutchperson Greg, if the portholes don't sort them.

  4. #1754
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by darroch View Post
    I salute your perseverance, Larks - I remember thinking years ago what a huge project this would be when you had just gutted her and started cleaning up the hull. May you endure to the bitter end!

    Thanks darroch, cheers.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  5. #1755
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Maybe a spot for a Dutchperson Greg, if the portholes don't sort them.
    That may be the way to go Phil, it’d deal with at least one lonely knot that doesn’t line up with where a porthole could go
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  6. #1756
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,467

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    And if you mount a little bronze eye, or hook or plate or something over it, same spot each side, you will be able to have long discussions about the pros and cons of gronicles, and whether you should remount them or go without.

  7. #1757
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    And if you mount a little bronze eye, or hook or plate or something over it, same spot each side, you will be able to have long discussions about the pros and cons of gronicles, and whether you should remount them or go without.
    .......there’s also the age old builders advice to build in an obvious mistake that draws everyones eye so that they don’t see the rest of them.... but I like your idea better
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  8. #1758
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Port Townsend WA
    Posts
    14,445

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Hi Greg,
    Are you planning to add that raised dog house again on the new deck house? I had a friend that had one, on his H28, that was built that way and it had a maddening habit of obscuring the helmsman's vision ahead. In my humble opinion it was not a safe addition to the design. I also think the boat looks much better without a dog house on it.

    But, I thought that I should mention that I plan to put a retractible canvas dodger on Bright Star some Tuesday next week. I have a wood burning stove, a Fatsco Tiny Tot, that keeps the cabin warm on damp nights. With a dodger, that heat would come up to keep the helmsman warm too. Bright Star has an automatic, Tiller Master, self steering controller. With the boat in self drive, the helmsman would be able sit forward under the dodger and keep toasty. I do dread the thought of fastening the support frame on to the coach roof though!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-13-2018 at 12:48 PM.

  9. #1759
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    No raised dog house Jay - still sticking with my plans to revert (as much as possible) to H28’s original profile design.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  10. #1760
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    35,591

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Are you back home and back into it Greg?
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

  11. #1761
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Are you back home and back into it Greg?

    No, shivering down in Canberra trying to get some money together to allow me to get back into it Gary. Contemplating ordering some bronze hardware at the moment - portholes, but dithering over which ones to get and the cost and getting annoyed at the lack of response from suppliers.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  12. #1762
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    24,055

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    No, shivering down in Canberra trying to get some money together to allow me to get back into it Gary. Contemplating ordering some bronze hardware at the moment - portholes, but dithering over which ones to get and the cost and getting annoyed at the lack of response from suppliers.
    I've got quite a collection... but, if one of the ditherers looking at Grantala actually takes her, they're gone. About 22 of them IIRC

  13. #1763
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I've got quite a collection... but, if one of the ditherers looking at Grantala actually takes her, they're gone. About 22 of them IIRC
    You have my attention.......
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  14. #1764
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Port Townsend WA
    Posts
    14,445

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    No raised dog house Jay - still sticking with my plans to revert (as much as possible) to H28’s original profile design.
    Greg, I salute you for your decision to not mess with the deck house design! As L. Francis once said, if you start changing the design of the H28,
    the result will destroy its harmony and the sea nymphs will not follow in your wake nor will the sea birds wheel over her deck in the wind! It is, as you say, just fine the way it is! Will you use the original sail plan and carry a mizzen?
    Jay

  15. #1765
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Posts
    2,055

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    It is, as you say, just fine the way it is! Will you use the original sail plan and carry a mizzen?
    Check!


  16. #1766
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Port Townsend WA
    Posts
    14,445

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Since "Bright Star's main mast has been broken and spliced, so many times, we have decided to build a new main mast. It will be the sloop mast that LFH designed for the boat. We have light airs in our area so, we need more power to keep moving though the up wind lulls. The new main will carry an extra set of reef points. I may even go for a rooster head and full battens both in the main and mizzen. LFH designed his early versions of the H28 and Rosenante with a small gaff on both main and mizzen. So, it would be in keeping with his original thinking.

    Just thought you might want to consider a taller main as well Greg. That is if you are building new spars.

    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-15-2018 at 02:11 PM.

  17. #1767
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Since "Bright Star's main mast has been broken and spliced, so many times, we have decided to build a new main mast. It will be the sloop mast that LFH designed for the boat. We have light airs in our area so, we need more power to keep moving though the up wind lulls. The new main will carry an extra set of reef points. I may even go for a rooster head and full battens both in the main and mizzen. LFH designed his early versions of the H28 and Rosenante with a small gaff on both main and mizzen. So, it would be in keeping with his original thinking.

    Just thought you might want to consider a taller main as well Greg. That is if you are building new spars.

    Jay


    Hi there, I just noticed this thread and thought I would jump in- a friend of mine has an H-28 rig that he would like to sell- It’s never been used.. it’s laying in Florida if that is any help to you...



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #1768
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Greg, I salute you for your decision to not mess with the deck house design! As L. Francis once said, if you start changing the design of the H28,
    the result will destroy its harmony and the sea nymphs will not follow in your wake nor will the sea birds wheel over her deck in the wind! It is, as you say, just fine the way it is! Will you use the original sail plan and carry a mizzen?
    Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Check!

    .....feeling a bit of dejavu on the question Jay, having been raised a couple of times before ( first at post #24 page 1), but sticking with her sloop rig - the reasonably new spars and stays when I bought her being a good part of her value when I bought her.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  19. #1769
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Port Townsend WA
    Posts
    14,445

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Yes Greg, I thought I had spoken of it before but did not want to wade through all of the pages. The H28 hulls sail well as sloops.
    I have an original drawing of the one LFH designed that I can share with you if you wish. Just, privately, give me an address to send it to.

    I do think the boat likes having that mizzen for added power on a reach though and there are times that it is handy for balancing the helm. In the video where our own boat is hitting 8kts my son is drinking a beer and steering with his fingertips.
    Best,
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-16-2018 at 12:19 PM.

  20. #1770
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Yes Greg, I thought I had spoken of it before but did not want to wade through all of the pages. The H28 hulls sail well as sloops.
    I have an original drawing of the one LFH designed that I can share with you if you wish. Just, privately, give me an address to send it to.

    I do think the boat likes having that mizzen for added power on a reach though and there are times that it is handy for balancing the helm. In the video where our own boat is hitting 8kts my son is drinking a beer and steering with his fingertips.
    Best,
    Jay
    Thanks Jay, I do have the original LFH sloop plan that I believe you put me on to at the time from (I think) Mystic Seaport museum (??)

    Mind you, I do have visions of being able to attain a similar balance with the slope rig as you have on the ketch. How realistic that vision might be......????? I’m looking forward to seeing...
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  21. #1771
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Port Townsend WA
    Posts
    14,445

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    I am looking forward to both of our boats becoming wind born again Larks!
    Wishing you good fortune!
    Jay

  22. #1772
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    67

    Default

    If your still looking for port holes there a place at cold coast city marina called recycled boat bits which had quite a few when I was in there the other week.

    There’s also a H28 going for free on gumtree in the same area ( Gold Coast Queensland) if anyone is keen.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #1773
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK. Cornwall, Suffolk.
    Posts
    9,390

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Since "Bright Star's main mast has been broken and spliced, so many times, we have decided to build a new main mast.

    Jay
    Why? If scarphed is what you mean, one that has been scarphed properly, even many times, will be stronger as it takes on the properties of a laminate.

  24. #1774
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by James Chilman View Post
    If your still looking for port holes there a place at cold coast city marina called recycled boat bits which had quite a few when I was in there the other week.

    There’s also a H28 going for free on gumtree in the same area ( Gold Coast Queensland) if anyone is keen.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks James, I’m home for the weekend so will go and have a look.....at the portholes....
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  25. #1775
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Port Townsend WA
    Posts
    14,445

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Why? If scarphed is what you mean, one that has been scarphed properly, even many times, will be stronger as it takes on the properties of a laminate.
    The mast has taken on the appearance of a Swiss cheese from the many reposistionings of tang plates and the splines that resulted from disassembly of the box section and re-gluing.

    However the real reason is that we wish to increase the aspect ratio of the main by using the sloop mast that LFH designed for the boat. We will still retain the mizzen as it offers great down wind and reaching sail combinations.
    In addition, former owners never took note of the fact that the original main mast is not engineered. For carrying masthead genoas to weather in a breeze. The masthead sails are there only for use as a light air drifter! Also, there is no consideration for flying a chute, an asymmetrical chute would only fracture the stick again. This was the reason for several of the mast fractures.

    Our own problem came when we purchased the boat and we requested that the bow be taken out of the main as the yard would not allow us to do any work on the rigging. So, we were forced to have the yard rigger do the work which was done when we were away from the boat. This "Wingnut" took up on the standing backstay to the point that the mast ended up fracturing from the overload. The repair and scarfing on a new upper mast can be found in the posting on Jay & Anne Greer's H28 "Bright Star".
    Jay

  26. #1776
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    The mast has taken on the appearance of a Swiss cheese from the many reposistionings of tang plates and the splines that resulted from disassembly of the box section and re-gluing.

    However the real reason is that we wish to increase the aspect ratio of the main by using the sloop mast that LFH designed for the boat. We will still retain the mizzen as it offers great down wind and reaching sail combinations.
    In addition, former owners never took note of the fact that the original main mast is not engineered. For carrying masthead genoas to weather in a breeze. The masthead sails are there only for use as a light air drifter! Also, there is no consideration for flying a chute, an asymmetrical chute would only fracture the stick again. This was the reason for several of the mast fractures.

    Our own problem came when we purchased the boat and we requested that the bow be taken out of the main as the yard would not allow us to do any work on the rigging. So, we were forced to have the yard rigger do the work which was done when we were away from the boat. This "Wingnut" took up on the standing backstay to the point that the mast ended up fracturing from the overload. The repair and scarfing on a new upper mast can be found in the posting on Jay & Anne Greer's H28 "Bright Star".
    Jay
    I am guessing that 'chute' is the same thing that the designer referred to as a 'rule cheating wind bag' . Not that there's anything wrong with them in my opinion... I've had great fun on H28s flying spinnakers.

  27. #1777
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Port Townsend WA
    Posts
    14,445

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    The term chute comes from the word "Parachute". Indeed, LFH had a destinct aversion to sails that allowed a boat skipper to cheat within the rules for sail area and pack on more sail than others could afford to purchase. Francis was indeed a minalmist on one hand but he was certainly capable of designing some mechanical breakthroughs in gear, the J boat "Whirlwind" is a prime example of this innate Herreshoff inventive personality trait.
    Jay

  28. #1778
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    This is a great thread Lark. Lot of work sure but it takes only some time and patience + some money !!!

    I will follow your progress.

    Salute from Montreal, Canada
    ''The work is teaching you the work'' : Bernard Moitessier.

    Single-handed Sailor, 1968-1969 Golden Globe Challenge, 1st around the world sailing race.

  29. #1779
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    This is a great thread Lark. Lot of work sure but it takes only some time and patience + some money !!!

    I will follow your progress.

    Salute from Montreal, Canada
    Thank you for looking in and commenting. I’m working a long way from home at the moment so sadly progress has stalled for a bit ....., but hopefully not too much longer and it’s all adding to the budget so worth while.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  30. #1780
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    17,026

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Found some lovely olde but very well built and perfectly suitable portholes at the right price and in the right shape and had the very great pleasure of meeting a particularly nice gent' in the process:

    [IMG]IMG_1418 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]IMG_1417 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]


    They need some cleaning up, new seals and so on and I’ll have to get backing plates cast for them. At the same time I’ll make up some templates to get two matching port lights (?? i.e. fixed glass not opening) cast.

    My intention is to have one opening one either side of the cabin aft and one fixed one either side forward in the cabin, plus two small round ones in the front bulkhead of the cabin.

    The third oval porthole is an optional extra that I grabbed because it was a good price for the three but I may use that aft facing into the cockpit over the galley.......I’m not so sure about that yet and don’t want to use it just for the sake of using it.

    The screws for the glass frames are all pretty likely to break when I try to take the glass out to reseal it and to replace the broken panel, so will probably need drilling out and re-tapping but that’s no great issue.

    Anyway, I’m pretty pleased with the find and very pleased with the price!!!
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  31. #1781
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,674

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    A great find Greg !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  32. #1782
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Lucky man!!!! They are awesome!!!
    ''The work is teaching you the work'' : Bernard Moitessier.

    Single-handed Sailor, 1968-1969 Golden Globe Challenge, 1st around the world sailing race.

  33. #1783
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    35,591

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Very nice find Greg.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

  34. #1784
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melb, Vic, Aus
    Posts
    757

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Put the spare one in the bottom of the dingy for when you go fishin'

  35. #1785
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Port Townsend WA
    Posts
    14,445

    Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

    Indeed Greg, You hit the jackpot with those port lights! "Bright Star" does not have any port lights or dead lights in the after bulkhead at the end of the deck house facing aft. I kind of like that as I plan to mount an oil lamp in that area on each side of that area to light up the galley. I think that not having a fixed dead light or port light is a better way to go as light from the cabin can be controled at night by closing the doors on the deck house so as to allow the helmsman not to have his night vision affected by light from a light source shining aft. But, if you do want the port light in the galley, you can always rig for red with the cabin lights and save night vision.
    Jay
    Stove will go here and plotting will be done on the saloon table. Lamp on builkhead.
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-30-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •