Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2363727374 LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,555 of 2556

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

She looks beautiful then, and it makes the current work all the more worthy seeing how good she looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Those old photos are great…the provenance it provides is priceless. The more work I do, the more I learn, the better I get using tools, the more impressed I am with the builds on the forum…and yours is no exception. Such careful, beautiful work!

Thanks Bruce and PW
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post

[IMG

]IMG_3747 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Approve of this..looking great Greg.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Approve of this..looking great Greg.
    Thanks Johnno, cheers mate.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

The ingredients for my cabin top deck beams, Australian scented rosewood. I was originally going to use Huon Pine (which is what has been used for the rest of the deck beams, painted) but I was gifted two planks of the rosewood specifically to use for my deck beams.

This really is lovely timber to work with and it smells delightful - of roses actually (though probably closer to rose flavoured Turkish Delight than an actual rose).

[IMG]IMG_3750 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I had a couple of false starts working out how to deal with the spring-back of two then there laminates but I “think” I have it sorted (more on that here for anyone interested http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ms-Spring-back). I’ll see how well sorted I actually have it when I start fitting them....

I’ve been gluing up just two beams a day to keep it relatively simple and easy:

[IMG]IMG_3787 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3789 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Once they were all set I cleaned off any dags of epoxy and made sure they were squared up on the jointer before running them through the thicknesser.

[IMG]IMG_3790 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3791 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

almost ready to start fitting them, two (or three) more to come........I’m thinking of doubling up the beams at the compression post to give me a way of hiding my nav light and VHF cables..... I’m still chewing over how it might look when finished, it will either ruin the look of a nice clean evenly spaced deck-head or it will provide a division between the saloon and fwd bunk spaces.

[IMG]IMG_3794 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Hi Greg,
    Is it just me or is there something very satisfying watching epoxy stained timber disappearing into a thicknesser then coming out clean.
    Those beams are looking marvelous and will look even better in their permanent place.
    It's all coming together very nicely.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

"Don't take life seriously. Either way, you won't make it out alive."

Those beams will add another feature to the white/timber interior. Love the old photos of the build as well, and the pictures and details of your work will be just as valuable down the track.

Great stuff.

Ma,
    Quest

Slowly finishing the last few bits on the Welsford Sundowner "Overkill", then learn to sail it.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish didn't happen. One day!

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Hi Greg,
    Is it just me or is there something very satisfying watching epoxy stained timber disappearing into a thicknesser then coming out clean.
    Those beams are looking marvelous and will look even better in their permanent place.
    It's all coming together very nicely.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Thanks Mike, and yes: it’s a bit like opening a Christmas present from your wife that you kinda know what it is but are hoping she got the right one.......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Those beams will add another feature to the white/timber interior. Love the old photos of the build as well, and the pictures and details of your work will be just as valuable down the track.

Great stuff.

Ma,
    Thanks Ma’, (Mal )
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

‘Gotta say that I am especially pleased with how well the deck beams are fitting after working out how to compensate for the springback in the laminations. Despite each being a different beam width and different height in relation to the cabin sides, every one of them has sat perfectly on the centreline height wise........ I couldn’t be happier with them.

Dry fitted at the moment so that, as well as checking their fit and alignment, I can make up the main hatchway frame (and the set of deck frames that it takes either side), as well as a butterfly hatch frame that will fit between the mast and the space for the main hatch when it is slid forward.

[IMG]IMG_3821 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3822 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3817 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3818 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3820 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

And I will add an additional frame by the compression post to give me a place to conceal VHF and nav light cables and wind instrument NMEA2000 cabling.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Impressive Greg, they look like they’re lining up perfectly. Not much fairing to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Impressive Greg, they look like they’re lining up perfectly. Not much fairing to be done.
    Thanks Andrew - after running a batten over them this arvo I’m not seeing any fairing needed at all. I don’t know if that is just luck or a result of the design of the deck and the way I did them.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Apparently you create your own luck, Greg...nicely done mate.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

How do you deal with the wedge that'll be left between roof and cabin sides?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Always someone to rain on your parade but I see his point looking back. Do we have to wait for an answer Greg?

I see, he’s gonna fit the roof panels in between beams then one last over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    How do you deal with the wedge that'll be left between roof and cabin sides?
    I cheat .........epoxy and filler pieces with a cover strip between the frames and up to the deck-head covering it all. The cover strips were always going to be there as “dressing” anyway so it works in well enough.

It might seem like a work around - and it is essentially but it suited the task. There was simply too much going on with getting the available plank width from my Huon Pine stock, using the clearest grain and widest planks that I had, and shaping them for the heights and somewhat complex multi-dimensional curves along the sheer of the deck, the curve of the beam and the levels of the cabin top. Trying to shape them to the varying camber along the top edge of the planks themselves was a step too far for my limited ability.

Making the planks wider and shaping them down with a plane and sander after fitting the frames would have been the ideal option but 'wasn’t really one in this case due to available plank widths. I could have done it on one plank but not the other so I chose uniformity ........and simplicity .....

This options works just as well....for me anyway.... possibly a little more work required in the long run but it will give me a more “accurate” result for bedding the cabin top down to.
    Last edited by Larks; 08-15-2022 at 01:57 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

The correct is always; "S'posed to be that way.".....

Some progress: The Queensland Blue Gum compression post has been final fitted;
    Inside of the Huon Pine cabin sides sealed with Deks Olje (prior to fitting the deck beams);
    Scented Rosewood deck beams completed and varnished with Awlgrip Awlwood (same as used on the outside of the cabin sides);

[IMG]IMG_3838 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3845 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3857 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3859 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

More bits of wiring run, Engine controls fitted (portside companionway), Windlass control, B&G Vulcan 7 unit and bilge pump signal light fitted to stbd cockpit bulkhead (while varnish and Deks Olje being applied), including a homemade watertight bulkhead fitting for the Vulcan 7 cabling (it was a bit awkward to fit so I didn’t get the two halves quite as well lined up as I’d have liked. This external but lockable space for the Vulcan 7 unit is sealed watertight to the interior so while open for use it can be rained on, splashed etc without any risk to the equipment and electronics in the nav area inside the cabin behind it;

[IMG]IMG_3883 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3901 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 08-17-2022 at 05:41 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

and finally I’ve completed the final fit of the deck beams so with all the remaining cabling now pretty much all in place and ready for lighting, USB charging points, alarms etc, I think I’m ready to start laying down the deck:

[IMG]IMG_3898 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3900 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3903 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 08-17-2022 at 05:43 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Beautiful work! Wow....

Deck beam wood is beautiful! Very rich!

Thanks Willin’ and GD, I appreciate the comments
    cheers
    Greg
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Varnish - for all its challenges, it's so beautiful!

I kept one charging port as a standard cigarette lighter fitting. I have a 12v vacuum cleaner that plugs into. I think that vacuum cost me about $30 or something. Best $30 i ever spent.
    Every cup full of crud i throw out is less clogging material in my bilge pump. I get most use out of the little fitting that has a brush/bristle edge.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Varnish - for all its challenges, it's so beautiful!

I kept one charging port as a standard cigarette lighter fitting. I have a 12v vacuum cleaner that plugs into. I think that vacuum cost me about $30 or something. Best $30 i ever spent.
    Every cup full of crud i throw out is less clogging material in my bilge pump. I get most use out of the little fitting that has a brush/bristle edge.
    This Awlwood varnish is probably the least challenging and most impressive varnish that I have ever used Trev’. It has a primer coat that soaks in, a little goes a long way, and the finishing coats flow beautifully and are incredibly tolerant of any weather conditions. It’s a single pot product and it kicks off quickly so you only want to decant a bit at a time - enough for about 15 -20 minutes worth of work at a time, and seal the pot tightly afterwards. And it remains wonderfully pliable, leftovers that I’ve peeled out of the cups that I decant into are like rubber gaskets.

I’ve rolled and tipped the cabin sides for now to protect them while fitting them but will spray the final couple of coats once all of the cabin and deck work, glassing and painting is done.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Trim the edges, run a tube of silicon along the joins and call it good???

[IMG]IMG_3908 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3911 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3910 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3905 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

VJ layer screwed down to mark out the cabin side edges for trimming and the frames for masking up prior to painting it all off the boat. It gives me a better look at how the camber that I settled on worked out and I’m very pleased with it - I don’t think it could be any better.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

It just gets better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    It just gets better and better.
    Thanks Mike, cheers
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Looking very special Greg. That’s a lucky boat to have found you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Looking very special Greg. That’s a lucky boat to have found you.
    Thanks Andrew, I’m enjoying the task
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg,
    Missed my earlier typo, thanks for pointing that out!

That interior is going to be something special. Love how the beams turned out.

Mal
    Quest

Slowly finishing the last few bits on the Welsford Sundowner "Overkill", then learn to sail it.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish didn't happen. One day!

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Most of the VJ marine ply for the cabin deck-head now in place and getting a better look at how the darker and lighter timbers look together:

Interior cabin side to deck-head join dress/cover strips dry fitted:

[IMG]IMG_3931 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3932 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3937 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

and hey presto.....easy peasy!

[IMG]IMG_3957 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I’ll finish the panels over the nav’ station and galley when I’ve finished a bit of cabinetry and final wiring in those spaces, no point making things more challenging than they are:

[IMG]IMG_3984 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I’m really happy with the camber, shear and angles that I went with:

[IMG]IMG_3989 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

and a peak inside to see the timber contrast

[IMG]IMG_3985 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

For anyone interested in what’s in this picture:

Deck-head / cabin top beams: scented rosewood
    VJ deck-head: 6mm marine ply
    Cabin sides: Huon pine
    Compression post: Queensland blue gum
    Cabinetry paneling sides and fronts: Johnno’s grandfathers red cedar wardrobe
    Cabinetry backing: Mahogany (I think African)
    Cabinetry trim: Mahogany (I think Honduran - I may have them the wrong way around...???)

The butterfly hatch and companionway hatch will be in Huon Pine and there will be a Huon Pine rail and trim all around the bottom of the cabin sides hiding that beam (and where I didn’t bother trimming the glass over where I hadn’t sanded the paint off - the area that I needed removed for decent glass adhesion was taken off with a router.

The pine mockup on the right isn’t what the trim profile will be but was to give me a starting idea of size and how high a grab rail could be with a hatch behind it - it won’t be as high as the mockup.

Meanwhile I’ve also found a good foundry to get another porthole cast to match the ones that I have along with some outer rings for all four portholes, a new rudder gudgeon, chainplates and a few other bits and pieces. I’m going with HTB (High Tensile Brass) for all.

First template - for the porthole outers:

[IMG]IMG_3960 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3961 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Filling holes and cleaning up the flange taper so that this one can be used as a template for the mould:

[IMG]IMG_3995 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I’m really happy with the camber, shear and angles that I went with:

There's a lot to be happy about with the way it's all coming together. It's really looking very, very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Just beautiful!
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.