Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 444535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,856 to 1,890 of 1980

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Good to see you making a mess again Greg, but can you at least do one crappy drawing on a piece of cardboard off the shed floor with a blunt pencil so I don't feel any more inferior............

Mal
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

if it makes you feel any better Mal, my mistakes seem to be on a bigger scale causing bigger problems - the current one being to take the bath off over the Christmas break so that I could lift the hull off the lead to check the keel bolts and not reinstalling it afterwards.

That shrinkage in the deadwood recovered pretty well 100% once before but I’m worried about how well it will do it again......time will tell I guess.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

All I can see for that worm eaten wood and the section that is badly badly, checked and looks to be starting to break down in the actual fibers is replacement of said bad timbers is re-placement. Note that Leo, who is rebuilding the Pilot Boat "Tallie Ho" in Squimn WA. replaced the entire keel on that boat!
    We did the same with the Herreshoff Steam Launch "Vapor". I know it is a bitch to think about but once all of the sections are planned out it isn't all that hard to do Larks!
    Wishing you the Best.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    All I can see for that worm eaten wood and the section that is badly badly, checked and looks to be starting to break down in the actual fibers is replacement of said bad timbers is re-placement. Note that Leo, who is rebuilding the Pilot Boat "Tallie Ho" in Squimn WA. replaced the entire keel on that boat!
    We did the same with the Herreshoff Steam Launch "Vapor". I know it is a bitch to think about but once all of the sections are planned out it isn't all that hard to do Larks!
    Wishing you the Best.
    Jay
    In all honesty the boat as it is right now wouldn’t be worth the effort or cost of replacing the whole keel Jay, she’s no Tally Ho. But having now cut out that checked area it’s not as deep or as far into the keel as I had feared and fortunately there’s absolutely no sign of any other worm damage anywhere other than that shoe that I’ve removed.

The plan for the moment is to button it up without the replacement shoe and forefoot area and get it back into the bath for a while to see how well the rest of the keel and deadwood take up again before reassessing and replacing what needs to be replaced and splining a few more glue lines in the strip planking.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Ahhh , come on Leo, sorry I mean Greg. We wanna see some real action here. Replace the keel. You know you want to.

At least you’ll know your keel bolts won’t disappear into that chasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    In all honesty the boat as it is right now wouldn’t be worth the effort or cost of replacing the whole keel Jay, she’s no Tally Ho. But having now cut out that checked area it’s not as deep or as far into the keel as I had feared and fortunately there’s absolutely no sign of any other worm damage anywhere other than that shoe that I’ve removed.

The plan for the moment is to button it up without the replacement shoe and forefoot area and get it back into the bath for a while to see how well the rest of the keel and deadwood take up again before reassessing and replacing what needs to be replaced and splining a few more glue lines in the strip planking.
    My motto exactly don’t fix or replace anything that doesn’t absolutely need it.

At least she’s solid ,not like the Tally Ho we looked at before I bought WB. I still remember that thin screw driver probe disappearing into the aft sterm until I stopped for fear of having to plug a hole.

Ok Larks! Sorry, I was of the impression that you had worms and bad wood in the entire keel timber!
    Jay

Ok Larks! Sorry, I was of the impression that you had worms and bad wood in the entire keel timber!
    Jay
    Yikes - sorry I gave that impression Jay but very very glad that I don’t.....I’d be chucking it in completely if I did....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Some positive progress at last - albeit with mixed feelings:

I’m less than enthusiastic about the timber that I could find to replace that sacrificial shoe aft of the lead but I’m going with it for the moment. All of my old timber supply leads seem to have dried up and some of the prices that I’ve been quoted for a slab of green hardwood for the shoe have been just ridiculous, so in desperation I’ve resorted to a 200mm x 100mm CCA treated hardwood sleeper. It’s not ideal and it’s not pretty but it was the best one that I could find in the stack, so I’ve roughed this to size and shape as the fall back until or unless I can find something more appealing (to me).

It is a sacrificial shoe so isn’t structural and can be easily replaced but it irks me to put something like this in the boat so I’ll continue searching for something better:

[IMG]IMG_0785 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I’ve also used the spotted gum sleeper for the forefoot piece that I’m replacing but because it is a smaller piece I was able to pull a good solid chunk from the sleeper without any inclusions or knots so I am a bit happier with it.

[IMG]IMG_0788 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

gotta love some shavings:

[IMG]IMG_0793 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The shoe roughed in to shape and parked in place but not actually fitted. My plan is to leave the shoe and forefoot piece in the bath for the meantime so that in a few months when I do the final shaping and fit them in place they’ll essentially be the same moisture content as the rest of the deadwood.

[IMG]IMG_0804 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

setting the bath up - a nice wet day here in misty south east Queensland

[IMG]IMG_0808 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the bath in place, a neater arrangement than my last one. The aim here was to get the frame as close to the hull as possible to minimise the amount and weight of water needed, so the plastic is either hard up to the hull or generally within about 15mm throughout. Given how long it took to fill I’m guessing it took about 40-50 litres to get it up to the garboard.

[IMG]IMG_0812 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

So I’ll leave that to do it’’s own thing for now and move on to more fun things.......though in the meantime fingers will remain crossed that the deadwood takes up as well as it did before.....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

If you could use tallow wood in your keel, you should be able to get it from Grays Sawmill in Karuah (NSW). I'll be going there in a few weeks to get some timber so if there's any issue with getting them to send it up, let me know and I'll send it up. I find them very nice people to deal with. They cut a range of hardwoods so I'd be surprised if they can't get what you need. They don't have a website 0249975594.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Thanks Rick, I’ll check them out, I’ll be interested to see what their prices are like. It’s just a sacrificial shoe so it could be anything really and I could probably even laminate up something from my stash, but my preference is for a slab of hardwood to replace what was there which I think may have been Tassie blue gum. I’

I have some feelers out for tallowwood and turpentine and am waiting for a call back from the Uki mill, which I think was Peter’s go-to. The only price that I’ve had back so far for a length of fresh cut non specific hard wood (probably spotted gum) 100mm x 200mm x 1800mm from a mill west of here was $300 and that’ seems ridiculous to me. I’ve not been able to find anyone else near by that can provide anything 100mm thick, they all seem to be slabbing everything down to 75mm or less for garden sleepers or slabs for benches/tables.

I had a couple of @24-30"” tallowwood trees knocked down on my block and cut up into firewood a year or so ago and, although I had briefly thought to get the guys save a longer log or two from that to slab up, I couldn’t think of any need it at the time and didn’t really have the time to mess with it.

To make me feel slightly worse about my dopiness: my neighbour cut one down that was behind my shed and chopped it up just last week before I had any realisation what the mills might quote for a slab.... so I missed my chance there as well.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

See how you go with Gray's. If they can't do it, let me know as there are others. I know a boatbuilder working at Yamba too and I know he sources a lot of timber. His family builds trawlers at Salt Ash, near us.
    Rick

I do have a chunk of teak that’d be big enough but .............
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Noooo!
    Rick

A bit of a shed improvement project in preparation for picking up my engine next week so that I can start making up the engine bed and send it off to be hot dip galvanised - a shed gantry/crane.....thing....

[IMG]IMG_0834 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I made it up from a couple of offcuts of 5mm wall steel tube lengths that were originally screw piers from my neighbours verandah construction. It's strapped to the middle shed post which is tied back to the rear post by the loft framework so I’m pretty comfortable that it can handle the sort of weights that I want to lift with it - ie the engine and a few things that I’ll be working on once the H28 is out of the shed.

As far as load tests goes it was hardly scientific, at full extension it takes my weight (82ish kg’s) plus 30kg in weights with no creaking or groaning (other than my own) - the engine is 110kg (240lb).

The boom pivots through 90deg plus and the sleeve over the boom at the end allows me to move the hook in and out, with bolts to lock it in place, also giving me about 600mm (2’) extension, taking the boom to 2200mm (7’ plus) at full extension.

[IMG]IMG_0820 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

As confident as I am in its strength, once I have the engine hanging over the boat I’ll most likely prop the boom for a belt and braces approach because I’ll likely have it there for a couple of days while I design and fabricate my engine beds.

[IMG]IMG_0818 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Another engine install , everyone’s doing it. Be interested to see how you go about yours Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Another engine install , everyone’s doing it. Be interested to see how you go about yours Greg.
    I’ll be interested myself Andrew.....I can’t say that I have a fully resolved plan just yet
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Yeh it’s taking a whole new series of lists.

One mob thatRick put me onto for flex-drive coupling thingo was Polyflex. But then ive yet to answer my question of bonding (electrically) across it, Y/N ? Maybe lookup mr Calder.

R&D, Polyflex, Isoflex, Vetus (Bullflex), Aquadrive or nothing......that is the question. I’d been leaning towards the R&D purely based on price (at the time) after an old thread that I did on the subject ( http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...rive-couplings ) but I’d be interested to see if Paul G is still around and what his thoughts are on it a few years down the track.

The Vetus and Isoflex dealers are just down the road from me, the Vetus agents also being the Yanmar agents but they’re not necessarily trying to push me onto anything in particular - they’re as happy to recommend the Isolflex coupling as they are their own pricier Bullflex coupling.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Everyone I know around here uses Polyflex. I know they're good but I've no idea if they're better. I think all flex couplings isolate the shaft electrically, which is what you want. Anode on the shaft is standard.

The only other tip I can suggest is to replace the exhaust elbow with a riser. It'll cost about $400 to have one made. It resolves back flooding issues.

I have at least one exhaust box spare. It's a big one but you're welcome to it if you want it. I might have a smaller one so I'll check when home in a few days. Those things are ridiculously expensive so it's a good saving if you can get one for nothing.

I made the one for Pipsqueak from glass and polyester as it was a very awkward fit. It's very ugly but it works.
    Rick

Thanks Rick, the original set up was a Vetus water-lock and muffler and I’d planned to replicate that when I put it back together. Like a bloody idiot though I let someone in need have the old water-lock when I first pulled it out, not realising its replacement value at the time. Fortunately I still have the muffler though.

However what do you mean by the exhaust box? Do you mean a water-lock? If so I’d certainly be interested if it will fit in the space.

This was the water-lock that I gave away:

[IMG]011 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Yes, the waterlock. When I get home, I'll send measurements. You're welcome to whichever ones I have.
    Rick

I've got the Aquadrive installed in my yacht. Nice bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    I've got the Aquadrive installed in my yacht. Nice bit of kit.
    Sorry Bern’, I missed your post last week, but thankyou - that’s good to know.

Meanwhile, I’ve just collected this little beastie:

[IMG]IMG_0872 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

And I can’t speak highly enough of the Yanmar agents here, Power Equipment on the Gold Coast, not least of all because they managed to wangle it so that I actually have a new engine (new in country 3 weeks ago) rather than the one that I bought and left with them in storage 14 months ago - so my warranty clock starts today rather than 14 months ago. Which actually means the 2 year warranty starts once the boat is launched and the engine run up and I now have another 12 months up my sleeve for that start point - so essentially 3 years warranty from today (if that makes sense).
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Nice trailer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Nice trailer as well.
    Cheers Tom, for a cheapish Chinese import it’s pretty good - it does what I need it to do and more.

It’s like Christmas here this morning - unwrapping all sorts of goodies:

[IMG]IMG_0873 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

And this is what I'm particularly pleased with:

[IMG]IMG_0879 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 08-16-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I'm jealous , I'd like to repower now, I don't think we'll be heading offshore with the old perkins again. Pity Yanmar has decided to make their new bigger hp engines so fat, I haven't got room for a small block V8 or a Yanmar 75.

really nice engine the Yanmars. Mine is the next size up (30HP) and likewise it was joy to get it! Enjoy!
    Yanmar fortunately stopped spray painting the completed engine so now the hoses and other take off attachments aren't caked in the 'gunmetal' coloured paint which invariably fell off over time.

That's good! Nanni haven't learnt that lesson so there's often a bit of blue snow in Masina's bilge.

Nice engine Greg and that is amazing that they updated it for you!
    Rick

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Congratulations on the motor, great result, good on those guys.
    It does feel sweet unpacking a new motor. The exact reciprocal of hearing your old one NOT fire up....again!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That's good! Nanni haven't learnt that lesson so there's often a bit of blue snow in Masina's bilge.

Nice engine Greg and that is amazing that they updated it for you!
    Yanmar (Brisbane) did the same for me stating they would start the warranty period once the boat was commissioned. I didn't think I would be taking so long to get this one completed at the time so I doubt Yanmar would honour the warranty now and I wont even be asking them.

Nice engine Greg. I agree about the paint. I just got a Nanni and the paint started falling off soon as I started touching it. Probably cheaper to blast the whole thing with bright blue. Dunno if it’d be a deal breaker though.
    i did get the 12 months grace before warrantee starts.

Nice Engine!
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

You have done well with the choice you made for power Larks.
    Congratulations!

Just one note, I had to increase diameter the size of the exhaust pipe discharge transom flange in order to keep the factory warranty. Worth checking that in you're Yanmar specs! Had that not jumped out of the specs and almost bit me I would have used the old one that would have voided the Beta warranty!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-17-2020 at 02:13 PM.

You have done well with the choice you made for power Larks.
    Congratulations!

Just one note, I had to increase diameter the size of the exhaust pipe discharge transom flange in order to keep the factory warranty. Worth checking that in you're Yanmar specs! Had that not jumped out of the specs and almost bit me I would have used the old one that would have voided the Beta warranty!
    Jay
    Thanks for the heads up Jay - I’ll be fitting all new raw water feed, exhaust system and electrical to the OEM spec’s so all good.
    cheers
    Greg
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary