Page 65 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1555646566 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,275 of 2583

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Don’t be deceived by the photos Dody, Ive still got a long way to go yet - I’ve still got the whole cabin structure and hatches to build. I’m doing the complete cabin fit out before the cabin sides and deck go on so that I have completely clear access for materials and really good overhead light from the shed lights, it might not be how others would do it but it makes life soooo much easier .
    It makes sense though.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

I’ve got three good lengths of Australian Beech (each about 4m x 300mm x 40mm) and one rather manky banana of a piece, about 4m x 120mm x 40mm:

[IMG]IMG_2617 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I’m very happy (and a little surprised) to have been able to salvage all of this from 3metres of the manky banana piece, I’m hoping to use it for my galley bench top:

[IMG]IMG_2618 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2621 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Ooooo...nice! What's that stuff like to work with? Is that the Antarctic beech? I was really impressed with seeing those down in the New England National Park.

To the best of my knowledge this Australian beech as well.
    Varnished unvarnished 1.jpg
    The boards in the background are cheap pine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Ooooo...nice! What's that stuff like to work with? Is that the Antarctic beech? I was really impressed with seeing those down in the New England National Park.
    Not sure about the Antarctic Beech Hugh, this is specifically Australian White Beech (Gmelina leichhardtii), good for boat decks as well. My original cockpit sole was made of it.

It might be different Gary, yours looks more figured and possibly darker, though I haven’t see how mine comes up oiled or varnished yet. But there are a few different beech woods, I’ll see if I can find something more similar to yours in Bootles this evening.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Not sure about the Antarctic Beech Hugh, this is specifically Australian White Beech (Gmelina leichhardtii), good for boat decks as well. My original cockpit sole was made of it.

It might be different Gary, yours looks more figured and possibly darker, though I haven’t see how mine comes up oiled or varnished yet. But there are a few different beech woods, I’ll see if I can find something more similar to yours in Bootles this evening.
    Unvarnished it's very pale timber.

Great timber for a galley bench Greg. Those golden hues will come out with a coating of whatever, a bit of dark trim like you have elsewhere will set it off quite nicely I'm sure.
    Look forward to seeing the results.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

"Don't take life seriously. Either way, you won't make it out alive."

Beautiful! Looking forward to seeing the finish on there. I did some research, Antarctic beech is Nothofagus Moorei and they may be protected, being a relic of the Gondwana rainforests.

Running electrical wiring, what a perplexing and challenging task (for me anyway)........ so much for my original plan of keeping the electrics as simple as possible on this boat - my head hurts, and this is less than half of it!

But I did want to challenge myself to try and learn something new:

[IMG]IMG_2852 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2849 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 12-09-2021 at 07:20 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Running electrical wiring, what a perplexing and challenging task (for me anyway)........ so much for my original plan of keeping the electrics as simple as possible on this boat - my head hurts, and this is less than half of it!

But I did want to challenge myself to try and learn something new:

[IMG]IMG_2852 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2849 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    OOF! Youre a better man than I. Took me all afternoon just to install my GPS unit....

Simple ain't in it! But it looks great, and you'll know it backwards and forwards. Keep at it Larks!

James

Interesting to read a thread elsewhere re epoxy not playing the game in cold weather - no such problem with glassing here at the moment with temp's in the shed hovering around 35degC (95F), so I’m very pleased to have a couple of decent fans mounted over the boat.

I may later regret glassing the deck piecemeal as I’m doing but I wanted to get the bridge deck area sealed off so that I could run cabling through where it needs to go and fasten it off underneath without having to work around it later.

The rear cabin bulkheads either side of the companionway will be built essentially as cupboards or boxes, with a closable and weathertight recess facing aft on the starboard side for the B&G Vulcan 7 chart plotter and anchor windlass switch while the inside facing forward will have a shallow shelf space for the hand held VHF charger and bits and pieces. The intention is to have a cover over the B&G V7 that imitates the port side paneling and is lockable from inside the cabin......... I just have to fully resolve how I’m going to achieve that.......I have a cunning plan....

The port side box will accomodate the engine controls facing inboard - which will be inside the companionway hatch when it’s all locked up - and storage space facing the galley forward (for cups etc).

The only thing visible from outside when everything is locked up should be the compass mounted to the port side aft bulkhead, otherwise both bulkheads should look alike.

[IMG]IMG_2857 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2860 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2863 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2861 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2864 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2865 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 12-16-2021 at 04:09 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

[IMG]IMG_2866 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by pez_leon View Post
    Simple ain't in it! But it looks great, and you'll know it backwards and forwards. Keep at it Larks!

James
    Thanks James, very much appreciated mate
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

id be worried about somebody inadvertently stepping on the shore power cord in the location you have it. The cords and plugs are big and bulky and look like they are going to be a tripping hazard where you have them.

Is there room on the aft cockpit bulkhead?

You've got the vision!
    With something like this there is a lot of time in bed in the wee hours thinking and mentally poking around and coming up with solutions and options. Shore power cords are always trip hazards but that's why they are bright yellow. ww has a point about stepping though - if the plug was lower or had a removable support (block) under it, that could prevent plug/socket damage from a heavy foot.

Conversely, with the plug receptacle lower you could potentially flood it hosing out the cockpit, but there are always compromises, eh? I really like the step you incorporated for bridge deck access! The whole thing is a work of art. I trust you're saving your thoughts and sketches into a notebook? Might be fun to be able to refer to those post completion

Thats why hte connections are waterproof....

'Interesting the sort of thing that gets noticed on here and the shore power location was something that did get moved around once or twice before I picked that spot.

I’m happy with where I have it located.

There’s a risk of tripping on the shore power lead (or any lead) wherever it is located, in this position both the shore power and the solar leads (for portable panels) when fitted will slot in beside the bridge deck step and sit out of the way in the corner of the starboard bulkhead/deck join. It minimises how much power lead needs to sit anywhere on the deck and how much hangs over the side when tied up alongside and the socket has reasonable access behind and is close to the inverter to minimise cable runs inside the boat.

Access inside for making connections, fastening fittings and avoiding inhibiting other systems or being knocked, damaged, shorted by stowed equipment where they can’t be seen are always the other considerations with these decisions.

The socket itself is (will be) recessed in a Huon Pine “receptacle” and (although not yet fitted) is watertight, it doesn’t completely hide the bright yellow shore power lead plug but it somewhat reduces how much sticks out into the cockpit.

I had thought of hiding it in a cockpit locker but that created other small challenges that didn’t appeal.

[IMG]IMG_2867 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The black plastic covers the hole for the shore/solar power “receptacle”. One of my next jobs is to clean up and glass the cockpit sides before fitting this arrangement.
    Last edited by Larks; 12-16-2021 at 04:38 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Conversely, with the plug receptacle lower you could potentially flood it hosing out the cockpit, but there are always compromises, eh? I really like the step you incorporated for bridge deck access! The whole thing is a work of art. I trust you're saving your thoughts and sketches into a notebook? Might be fun to be able to refer to those post completion
    I do have multiple sketchbooks and notebooks Hugh - mostly the result of working away from home for so long with a lot of time to think up ideas of what to incorporate. In practice now though the practical/achievable versus the idealistic sit at a ratio of probably a one in ten .
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Progressing well Greg. I am lookong forward to seeing the nav set up works out on the cabin, especially how you minimise risk of water getting in. You've got me thinking I could flip mine around to outside without too much modification.

Mal
    Quest

Slowly finishing the last few bits on the Welsford Sundowner "Overkill", then learn to sail it.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish didn't happen. One day!

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Progressing well Greg. I am lookong forward to seeing the nav set up works out on the cabin, especially how you minimise risk of water getting in. You've got me thinking I could flip mine around to outside without too much modification.

Mal
    I’m looking forward to working out how to do it Mal. Here’s a very rough sketch of the as yet not fully resolved general idea, which I don’t think will be properly resolved until I make a decent functional mock up of it..

I need to work out how to lock the bulkhead panel down securely, possibly set against a spring or two with a locking pin coming in from the side where it would be inaccessible when the hatch is closed and maybe a magnet or another pin from the side to hold it in place when it is raised and tucked away in its cavity above.

[IMG]IMG_2878 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Must be a great feeling being at home and making great progress .

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Must be a great feeling being at home and making great progress .
    It is Tom, I’m not wanting to go away again any time soon.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

A bit of a vid’ - which I actually made for my mum but thought it might be worth sharing:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Great vid Greg, you're a bloody natural
    Nice work, the cabinetry looks amazing, well done.
    Merry Christmas and enjoy the break.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

"Don't take life seriously. Either way, you won't make it out alive."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Great vid Greg, you're a bloody natural
    Nice work, the cabinetry looks amazing, well done.
    Merry Christmas and enjoy the break.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Thanks Mike, I really appreciate that. Merry Christmas to you too mate
    cheers
    Greg
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg, I'm sorry to get to something that hasn't got anything to do with the layout and really hope I'm not interrupting your wonderful workflow but I've got a question: is there a reason why you don't glass the whole deck at the moment, and how's your plan to join the glass when you actually are glassing the deck?

I'm asking because I'm struggling myself with working out the next steps. There is things I could do now in winter (in Europe) like my companion-way and -hatch for example, but I can't because I haven't got any glass on the deck yet. Which in turn I can't because of the temperatures at the moment. Yes, it'll get warmer here some time within the next 2 months but ... and actually glassing the whole deck for me doesn't work either yet because the toerail etc. still has to come off which means my tent has to go and so on. It's a bit of a mess.

Oh, and happy Christmas of course!
    fair winds, Dody
    "They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain
    www.tongabonds.com

Nice vid, and merry xmas!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    Greg, I'm sorry to get to something that hasn't got anything to do with the layout and really hope I'm not interrupting your wonderful workflow but I've got a question: is there a reason why you don't glass the whole deck at the moment, and how's your plan to join the glass when you actually are glassing the deck?

I'm asking because I'm struggling myself with working out the next steps. There is things I could do now in winter (in Europe) like my companion-way and -hatch for example, but I can't because I haven't got any glass on the deck yet. Which in turn I can't because of the temperatures at the moment. Yes, it'll get warmer here some time within the next 2 months but ... and actually glassing the whole deck for me doesn't work either yet because the toerail etc. still has to come off which means my tent has to go and so on. It's a bit of a mess.

Oh, and happy Christmas of course!
    No problem Dody, like you it just doesn’t work for me to glass the whole deck yet and I’m advised that it’ll be easy enough to taper and fair the joins when I do want to do the rest of it, plus I don’t yet have the quantity of glass and epoxy that I need to do the full job - (it has been offered to me by a boat builder mate who will come and help me do the whole deck and hull when I’m ready for it). For the moment I’ve glassed just where I need to penetrate the deck for the cabling, fuel and water fill points and the Black Water pump out so that I can stay focused on what I’m doing. I want to glass the deck with the cabin sides all in place so that I can run it about 20mm up the sides and also over the deck to hull join, which also needs a bit of cleaning up before I do that so I’ll do all of the deck and hull prep’ work as one bigger job.

I’ve used two layers of 6oz with the bottom layer a little wider than the top so that helps with the taper for the rest of the glass.....in theory. My boat builder mate (who just happens to be probably one of the most well respected boat builders and fibre-glassers in the country) is pretty happy with this process and doesn’t seem to think it will be any problem or extra work tapering the joins around the glass patches and fairing them in..... I’m inclined to accept his advice on this sort of thing.

And Merry Christmas to you to mate.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Nice vid, and merry xmas!
    Thanks Johnno and merry xmas to you as well mate
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Awesome Greg, thank you so much for this info it makes a huge difference for me how I can get on!!! And congrats lucky you on getting such wonderful help!
    fair winds, Dody
    "They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain
    www.tongabonds.com

Great video.
    I absolutely love the interior design especially the cleverly designed and positioned nav station. A functional sit down nav station in a boat this size is a big ask ,and both you and I know it represents a space that is invaluable on any vessel venturing out overnight. .
    You have truely managed to update and improve the basic interior layout of the H 28 and I believe Herreschoff would approve . Well done and a happy healthy New Year to you and yours.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Great video.
    I absolutely love the interior design especially the cleverly designed and positioned nav station. A functional sit down nav station in a boat this size is a big ask ,and both you and I know it represents a space that is invaluable on any vessel venturing out overnight. .
    You have truely managed to update and improve the basic interior layout of the H 28 and I believe Herreschoff would approve . Well done and a happy healthy New Year to you and yours.

Thankyou Tom, I really appreciate the comment mate and wishing you and your family a happy New Year as well.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    Awesome Greg, thank you so much for this info it makes a huge difference for me how I can get on!!! And congrats lucky you on getting such wonderful help!
    Cheers Dody, I’ll look forward to seeing your updates as well. Happy New Year mate.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary