Page 58 of 74 FirstFirst ... 84857585968 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,030 of 2583

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Nice to be able to start getting into the timber stash to remind myself what I have in there and smell some sawdust again:

Out comes some Oregon/DF for some framing, despite the knots on this length in front I managed to get some nice useable timber out of it

[IMG]IMG_1221 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The thicknesser/jointer has been getting quite a workout the last few days:

[IMG]IMG_1233 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Some of the finds in my stash, oregon on the left, unknown next to that - looks and feels like teak but doesn’t quite smell like it, though it has a pleasant and distinctive smell, and some Blackwood/acacia which I’ll use for the cockpit gutters:

[IMG]IMG_1234 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

and finally getting some structure into the boat again - setting up the cockpit framing:

[IMG]IMG_1235 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

It’s slow and steady work with the usual many trips in and out if the boat, these ends take a lot of messing with to get right on all angles - this one is almost there

[IMG]IMG_1237 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Gorgeous work Larks.
    absolutely love that roving iron too!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Gorgeous work Larks.
    absolutely love that roving iron too!
    Thanks Trev, cheers
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

looks good Greg

Nice piece of DF there. And the framing looks great too...
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Nice work Greg and the workshop looks like the ideal practical man cave.
    Those beams ends do take a bit of whittling to get them right. Now I'm probably not telling you anything here but to save you climbing in and out which I am guessing is to shape those ends, why not use a 4" angle grinder with an appropriate grade sanding disc.
    Now dust is an obvious factor here so place a plastic funnel in a vacuum hose close to the work. Set up so the disc rotation dust throw off is aimed toward the funnel.
    Now again you probably know all this and it might not work in your case but I thought this might save you a lot of up and down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Nice work Greg and the workshop looks like the ideal practical man cave.
    Those beams ends do take a bit of whittling to get them right. Now I'm probably not telling you anything here but to save you climbing in and out which I am guessing is to shape those ends, why not use a 4" angle grinder with an appropriate grade sanding disc.
    Now dust is an obvious factor here so place a plastic funnel in a vacuum hose close to the work. Set up so the disc rotation dust throw off is aimed toward the funnel.
    Now again you probably know all this and it might not work in your case but I thought this might save you a lot of up and down.
    Thanks Mike, it’d work well - I have a really good belt and disc sander hooked up to my dust extraction system and so I’ve been using that, rather creating more dust in the boat.

Having said that though - I could easily set up my “big gulp” dust hood from my lathe on the side of the boat and just do the final trimming with the grinder .......

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Well that's a decent sized plastic funnel. That'll do the job.
    Growing up with a boatshed in the backyard I did my fair share of up/down in/out. My father had built a nice set of wooden steps for easier access to deck level. After many years exposed to the weather it became a bit rickety and was dismantled.
    This was then replaced by a sturdy aluminium ladder...it handled the weathering better but it just wasn't the same.
    Keep up the great work.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

I’m reducing, re-bedding and replacing all of my through hull fittings and sea cocks - ie getting rid of a few and re-bedding the through hulls and replacing the sea cocks on what’s left. However there seemed to be nothing that I could do with one pair of hands to undo my cockpit drain sea-cocks, so after one smashed and blackened finger I confess that impatience got the better of me.

Not pretty and it cost me two otherwise fine through hull fittings, but it was effective:

[IMG]IMG_1261 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I’m upping the size of my engine raw water intake and will run a manifold off of it to feed a deck/anchor wash and salt water galley tap.

[IMG]IMG_1262 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Couple of Hobarts ago I looked inside a fishing boat with a classic Smack hull. (undercut stern, vertical bow) and the framing was just trimmed trees with the bark still on and this sort of works

had been done on the Gippsland beach where she was built with an adze. No timber was the same, some still had the branches and bark attached.

Oh Draght Darn!! I hate to see those fittings buggered! Sorry for you there Greg! No internal pipe wrench to give rotary leverage? Well, they are out! I will send a picture of the pig stick as soon as possible.
    Cheers buddy,
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-30-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Oh Draght Darn!! I hate to see those fittings buggered! Sorry for you there Greg! No internal pipe wrench to give rotary leverage? Well, they are out! I will send a picture of the pig stick as soon as possible.
    Cheers buddy,
    Jay
    No, they were an odd fitting Jay, no internal lugs or anything and no large external screw slot, so nothing to get a hold of to stop them spinning with the sea cocks.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Too late now, but my marine plumber friend regularly changes through hulls due to the appalling practise of the euro manufacturers, they fit brass or muck metal through hulls to their new boats. At the 5 year mark they're all ready to let go.
    Anyway, the point. He plugs them and hole saws them out.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Too late now, but my marine plumber friend regularly changes through hulls due to the appalling practise of the euro manufacturers, they fit brass or muck metal through hulls to their new boats. At the 5 year mark they're all ready to let go.
    Anyway, the point. He plugs them and hole saws them out.
    I like that solution better JB, much more elegant. I’ll remember it for next time.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Been a bit distracted with other priorities for a few days so progress has been a bit slow:

cockpit framing continued - frame and gutter for the cockpit sole:

[IMG]IMG_1267 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1287 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Trying out the belt sander as a method for cutting scarfs for the deck..... it worked well enough using the ply layers as a guide to keep the scarfs straight(ish) but the jury is still out...... These cuts not quite finished in this photo - about 90% done

[IMG]IMG_1286 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

and nice to get some new bits in the post:

[IMG]IMG_1285 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

reminds me that I have to relocate my fuel filter/separator so I can reach it without gymnastics, head down in a locker...

offered up for marking and shaping - marked out the hull shape and the frames to mask off before painting the underside:

[IMG]IMG_1299 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

An interesting scarf to cut: the join from the aft deck to the cockpit side decks:

[IMG]IMG_1300 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

One down:

[IMG]IMG_1304 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

One to go......on this sheet ....

[IMG]IMG_1305 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

A bit of a treat to have my wife home on holidays for a couple of weeks - afternoon smoko delivered to the shed:

[IMG]IMG_1302 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

You really need to do something about the seating in your shed Greg

If the seating were better, it would be a lounge. LOL
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    You really need to do something about the seating in your shed Greg
    What? Too flash??
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    If the seating were better, it would be a lounge. LOL
    Oh the lounge is next door in the forge
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Good seating and entertainment close by.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Also known as the hot seat.

I know I need to update this thread - but in the meantime............... H28 care package arrived today:

[IMG]IMG_1539 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Christmas has come early.

on-board refrigeration - 'virtually indestructible.

[IMG]IMG_1558 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

We just bought a Waeco version of the same, branded Dometic now. Fantastic thing, can't hear it running. Must have been meant to be, I plugged it in to 240v to try it and that night my sister called to say her refrigerator had just died.
    'Have I got a deal for you'.

We just bought a Waeco version of the same, branded Dometic now. Fantastic thing, can't hear it running. Must have been meant to be, I plugged it in to 240v to try it and that night my sister called to say her refrigerator had just died.
    'Have I got a deal for you'.
    It was a toss up between the Engel and the Dometic JB, the Dometic has a lot more bells and whistles and they are a top seller everywhere here, but in the end I think the Engel is just more durable. I had one in Alice Springs about 30 years ago that I’d bought second hand for about $50.00 and it was used and abused and bounced around the back of my ute or the 4wd out bush for years and never failed. When I left Alice and went sailing I gave it to a mate who now lives in Western Australia and talking to him a few days ago he said that it is still going strong. That was the clincher to buy the Engel over the Dometic.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

The unit we've just given up on I bought circa 1994 or 8 or 2000., Australian brand with a danfoss pump. What's that..30...35 years... I think I got my money's worth.

Nice early presents Greg. How do you plan to run the fridge, what batteries etc? I’ve given up on Outback Marine after 2 months of constant phone calls , never even got an email accepting my application for a design. I was going to go for a lithium system but can’t find anyone to tell me exactly how to configure it. So now it may have to be “just” AGM’s with their extra weight which I can’t afford in my small boat. I may decide yet to give up on a fridge and just look for pubs near piers!

Nice early presents Greg. How do you plan to run the fridge, what batteries etc? I’ve given up on Outback Marine after 2 months of constant phone calls , never even got an email accepting my application for a design. I was going to go for a lithium system but can’t find anyone to tell me exactly how to configure it. So now it may have to be “just” AGM’s with their extra weight which I can’t afford in my small boat. I may decide yet to give up on a fridge and just look for pubs near piers!
    That’s a really good question Andrew and one that I’m contemplating at this very moment - I’ve been thinking of doing a thread on it here but am heading down to have a chat with my local marine battery supplier after lunch today to see what advice he offers and I might do a thread after that. I’m a little way away from needing to buy them but I do need to work out what space I need and where to place them in the cabinetry construction.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

The unit we've just given up on I bought circa 1994 or 8 or 2000., Australian brand with a danfoss pump. What's that..30...35 years... I think I got my money's worth.
    I hope you use an accountant for your finances JB - Though the way my back is today I’m absolutely feeling all of 10 years older than I am......... it is still only 2020 isn’t it? Or has dementia got a hold of me as well?

Regardless, that is indeed good VFM
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

That’s a really good question Andrew and one that I’m contemplating at this very moment - I’ve been thinking of doing a thread on it here but am heading down to have a chat with my local marine battery supplier after lunch today to see what advice he offers and I might do a thread after that. I’m a little way away from needing to buy them but I do need to work out what space I need and where to place them in the cabinetry construction.
    I’ll be interested in that conversation Greg.

I’ll be interested in that conversation Greg.
    I’ll let you know in an hour or so. Bye the way, sorry to hear that Outback Marine were no help, I was hoping to be proven wrong about them - given that it's been so long since I’ve really dealt with them.......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary