Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40495051 LastLast
Results 1,716 to 1,750 of 1754

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Greg,
    Those book matched Huon Pine Flitches are gorgeous! Will you varnish or paint it? I have a full deck house cover that protects ours so we don't need to varnish it all that often. One optical trick that is not all that well known is that a varnished deck house will lower the apparant sheer of a hull to the eye.

I be shooting some more pictures of "Bright Star" next month. If there is anything in particular you might want. I could some include for your own project? In truth, I think you are doing just fine but, I would be happy to include any details you might want as the boat is built exactly to the plans as drawn. The main differance is that the interor is a bit more fancy than L. Francis showed on the plans but, it is comfortable and easy on the eye.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-28-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Sorry Greg it's Rogue Empire, not Trader. Google will get you there now.
    It looks like the business itself is for sale.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Greg,
    Those book matched Huon Pine Flitches are gorgeous! Will you varnish or paint it? I have a full deck house cover that protects ours so we don't need to varnish it all that often. One optical trick that is not all that well known is that a varnished deck house will lower the apparant sheer of a hull to the eye.

I be shooting some more pictures of "Bright Star" next month. If there is anything in particular you might want. I could some include for your own project? In truth, I think you are doing just fine but, I would be happy to include any details you might want as the boat is built exactly to the plans as drawn. The main differance is that the interor is a bit more fancy than L. Francis showed on the plans but, it is comfortable and easy on the eye.
    Jay
    I plan to varnish the huon pine cabin sides, front and cockpit bulkhead and make up a decent cover for it all Jay. Pretty much as you have done but with the lighter wood and allowing that I have a bridge decked cockpit rather than the original design.

Re photos, I’d be interested to see more detail of the cabin sides and the cabin top, if possible showing their shape along the length.

Also the cabin front showing the vertical angle. Thanks Jay, that’d be very much appreciated.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    It looks like the business itself is for sale.
    Resist temptation, Greg.

Greg, I actually have a second boat that has a bridge deck "Red Witch" it allows space for a double bunk below. But that boat has no engine. The drop board on the H28 keeps out water and allows easy entry to the low cabin and provides comfortable seating in the cockpit. I like both of the set ups.
    I will be shooting photos in December and will add some special ones for you.
    Jay

Greg - if you want to consider it, I've got a lot of Queensland Maple here. For you, no cost although best to pick it up. It's the old interior out of Grantala. I don't know how it would work out. Lot of stile and panel stuff. Some red lead to deal with if you re-purpose it, but not anything that's too hard to deal with. I do like Queensland Maple. This stuff is dark, either stained or from 80 years old finish, but I suspect that would come off easily.

Happy to run some through the thicknesser to see what it's like if you want it.

I've got ten to twelve sheets of QM-faced marine ply too, and a fair bit of veneer, but they should go with Grantala if anyone wants her (I suspect not).
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Greg, I actually have a second boat that has a bridge deck "Red Witch" it allows space for a double bunk below. But that boat has no engine. The drop board on the H28 keeps out water and allows easy entry to the low cabin and provides comfortable seating in the cockpit. I like both of the set ups.
    I will be shooting photos in December and will add some special ones for you.
    Jay
    Thanks Jay. Aside from the self draining cockpit/water tight value of it, one of the benefits of the bridge deck that I note particularly with the cabin structure all stripped away is the lateral structural support that it provides. Although I have the boat in a nice solid cradle that holds her in for and aft, I was conscious when laying her up of the risk of her “relaxing” apart somewhat - I think both yourself and Ian warned of it - but the cradle, the bridge deck, one brace screwed amidships and the foredeck frame have kept her in good shape.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Greg - if you want to consider it, I've got a lot of Queensland Maple here. For you, no cost although best to pick it up. It's the old interior out of Grantala. I don't know how it would work out. Lot of stile and panel stuff. Some red lead to deal with if you re-purpose it, but not anything that's too hard to deal with. I do like Queensland Maple. This stuff is dark, either stained or from 80 years old finish, but I suspect that would come off easily.

Happy to run some through the thicknesser to see what it's like if you want it.

I've got ten to twelve sheets of QM-faced marine ply too, and a fair bit of veneer, but they should go with Grantala if anyone wants her (I suspect not).
    Thanks Ian, thats a very generous offer and I’d dearly love to take it up for making furniture when I get home, but I don’t really have any way of picking it up at the moment - if I hired a trailer and drove up from Canberra I’d have nowhere to keep it back here (I’m in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment with 1 car parking space) and then no way of getting it back to Queensland.

I reckon the ply and veneer would shift pretty quickly on Gumtree if you don’t keep it with Grantala.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Ian, Your point is well taken. In my humble opinion,LFH designed the boat, as his father did his, to be able to flex a bit. This is something that he once commented on to me when he was still living. This was in conjunction with the construction of another of his designs. And that is why there are no stringers called for in the H28 or many of his other designs. I should think that the entry, as designed, does allow easy access below without having the companion ladder restrict the galley area. Either way you choose, you have a great boat!
    Jay

I do actually prefer the original design Jay, such as yours is, but I don’t have any plans to change mine from what it is - I reckon I can make good use of that bit of space under the bridge deck.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Photos for Christmas Greg.
    Jay

Photos for Christmas Greg.
    Jay
    Thanks Jay, that’d be great
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

The headwaters of the Petaluma River and up a hill. ,CA

I think it's a bad move going away for a while. You should stay with your project and get her done.
    But hey, just my opinion.
    What do I know?
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

Quote Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
    I think it's a bad move going away for a while. You should stay with your project and get her done.
    But hey, just my opinion.
    What do I know?
    Not so much a "bad" move Kerry as a “sad" move - in the real world here I still have a mortgage to pay, an engine to buy and a few other parts such as portholes and electrics and bits and pieces of screws, paint and so on along the way, so an income is necessary.....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

We all need boat bucks. Can't really have enough of those.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

The headwaters of the Petaluma River and up a hill. ,CA

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Not so much a "bad" move Kerry as a “sad" move - in the real world here I still have a mortgage to pay, an engine to buy and a few other parts such as portholes and electrics and bits and pieces of screws, paint and so on along the way, so an income is necessary.....
    Yeah, I know bro.
    I surely understand.
    When the wife left I was faced with being unprepared for several things, one of them, maintaining a simple mooring fee.
    It was a time of fortune for me building Further. The rent was paid and the Mrs did so well at keeping us, I had to build a boat to not be bored.
    If she had of split before the launch, it would almost surely have never made it to the water.
    I am certainly truly grateful for that time because not only was it as enormous fun as it was the repair undertaking of it in total, and I got to learn how to put a wooden boat together in the process.
    But it surely want my skills that enabled me the time and space.
    Take care of your time and space mate. You are doing a fantastic job. The thinking out and putting together of the thing is more fun than sailing them I reckon.
    Well...?
    Just don't forget to finish it.
    Are you gonna take say, carving tools and stuff with you so you can round up the odd piece of cool looking wood and carve those little things that make an interior look awesome. I remember being away from the job and just going nuts that I couldn't do anything with it. Drawing pics of folkboats and trailers.
    Enjoy yourself Greg.
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

Quote Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
    Yeah, I know bro.
    I surely understand.
    When the wife left I was faced with being unprepared for several things, one of them, maintaining a simple mooring fee.
    It was a time of fortune for me building Further. The rent was paid and the Mrs did so well at keeping us, I had to build a boat to not be bored.
    If she had of split before the launch, it would almost surely have never made it to the water.
    I am certainly truly grateful for that time because not only was it as enormous fun as it was the repair undertaking of it in total, and I got to learn how to put a wooden boat together in the process.
    But it surely want my skills that enabled me the time and space.
    Take care of your time and space mate. You are doing a fantastic job. The thinking out and putting together of the thing is more fun than sailing them I reckon.
    Well...?
    Just don't forget to finish it.
    Are you gonna take say, carving tools and stuff with you so you can round up the odd piece of cool looking wood and carve those little things that make an interior look awesome. I remember being away from the job and just going nuts that I couldn't do anything with it. Drawing pics of folkboats and trailers.
    Enjoy yourself Greg.

Yes, I’ve bought my sharpened spoons (along with my fly fishing gear) and plan to do what I can in the small space that I have. First on the list though is to finish a name plaque for a forumite that I had promised quite a while ago and then I’m not sure what yet - perhaps a few dress pieces or fancy pieces or whatever you want to call them, like perhaps a carved ebony handle end to scarf into the tiller, maybe some marquetry for the chart table.......the sort of stuff that I’d probably not otherwise do but may as well with the time that I have up my sleeve.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg, I did take a look at the original sheer plan this morning and can confirm that the coach roof of the deckhouse is parallel to the water line. The house sides
    them selves taper in height from aft to forward. The sheer of the deck creates the line it follows. I will check my own boat when I get back to where she is wintering. There is an optical hollow in the upper edge of the sides that may prove to be caused by the athwart ships bow of the sides. It is subtile but it is there. All in all the deck house is a riot of subtle curves although it looks rectangular at first glance. LFH was the master of that subtly!
    Jay

Greg, I did take a look at the original sheer plan this morning and can confirm that the coach roof of the deckhouse is parallel to the water line. The house sides
    them selves taper in height from aft to forward. The sheer of the deck creates the line it follows. I will check my own boat when I get back to where she is wintering. There is an optical hollow in the upper edge of the sides that may prove to be caused by the athwart ships bow of the sides. It is subtile but it is there. All in all the deck house is a riot of subtle curves although it looks rectangular at first glance. LFH was the master of that subtly!
    Jay
    Yes, the riot of subtle curves is the bit that most interests me and scares me Jay, as I think it is vital to the finished profile/appearance of the boat that I get it right. I’m kind of thinking that it will resolve itself as I build it but I don’t want to miss something that isn’t obvious that might end up having a big impact on the appearance.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg - I'm a bit late to the discussion on the cabin sides...but here's my $0.02 worth. When we built our 34ft Chuck Paine design, a good mate who is an experienced boatbuilder/shipwright advised me to put a bit of slope to the cabin sides as if built vertical they would, at some angles, look like they were wider at the top than the bottom. I don't recall the exact amount we used (possibly in the order of 3/4 - 1") but I have been very pleased with the resulting "look".
    Good luck with it all.
    And on the matter of Tassie Timbers - I have had good service from Distinctive Timbers in Devonport.
    PeterW

Thanks Peter, I appreciate the advice mate and I’ll chase up with Distinctive Timbers and see what they can supply. They have some lovely furniture grade stuff on their web site and I’ll be interested to see if they can supply planks of the size that I’m after.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg, I often build a mock up of a deck house out of door skin, put it on the boat and view it from all angles. I put that photo in there just to show that there is no inward rake to the cabin sides as Herreshoff drew them. It fits the design of the hull. It also creates a subtle feeling of more space, when one is below, in the cabin! The two complement one and other making the combination appear as a harmonious collection of the parts that make up the whole. I guess that is what is meant by saying that L. Francisis designs are "A Riot of Curves." Note that the crown of the coach roof and the deck crown are in harmony with each other. If the sides were to rake in the balance is distorted kind of like a piano that has one or two keys that are out of tune! When we bought the boat, my first thought was that the hand rails on the coach roof were too spindly and weak. Then I realised that they have been in place since 1960 and are still sound! They are also just as skipper designed. The are not big and clunky and do not draw the eye like a bandaged or red thumb will often do. In truth, when one stops to think about it, the entire boat is a work of art! Incidentally I am getting rid of those bloody red sail covers and replacing them with white or tan ones.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 11-02-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks Jay, I do plan to mock up the deckhouse (front, sides, hatchway and cabin-top curve) from MDF prior to fabricating it and I’m looking at how I can organise my space in the shed/workshop to fabricate the actual deckhouse off the boat as you previously suggested, so the MDF mockup will help with that.

I’m hearing what Phil and Peter are both saying about the slight slope in the cabin sides (on Phil’s dads boat Leofleda and Peter’s 34’ Chuck Paine design) and can see the sense of it on boats where it suits. I’m not sure which Chuck Paine design Peter's is but I can see on Leofleda that the slight cabin side slope does certainly suit the heavier boat and its style of gunwale.

The H28 is a somewhat more “petite” boat and my intention here has always been to go back (in essence if not in complete execution) as best I can to LFH’s design with those hull and deck elements that I am rebuilding to try and recapture as much of what I can in his original intent where practical. Aside from mine being sloop rigged, three of the more apparent things that I’m not rebuilding and which do depart quite a bit from LFH's design are the bridge deck, the longer cabin (mine runs forward of the mast) and the central prop’ shaft. But I don’t think any of these will really detract from LFH’s overall intentions of the appearance of the H28 which is so beautifully demonstrated with Bright Star, Lark and Holliday.

If I can come within shouting distance of the appearance of these boats I’ll be happy and I really think I need to stick to the plans to get anywhere near that.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Hi Greg,
    Here's a pic (not great quality but angle is good) of the Chuck Paine design we built. She is a Victoria 34 with an improved keel and rudder. The Morris 34 (US) was a close cousin. The pic shows the cabin angle from a good viewpoint. When inside it appears that the cabin sides are vertical. I'm not sure how much 'toe-in' we gave the top....could possibly find the detail in the build log if it would be of use. This is one of the details that kept me awake at night trying to decide which way to go. Good luck with it all.

PeterW

Greg,
    I never tire of looking at that photo of "Bright Star", the one that was shot in Spain. One can see a lot of subtle things in the manner that the components draw the entire boat together as a whole. The delicate tiller in conjunction with the curved splash rails on the cockpit and the almost, but not quite, too fine hand rails on the coach roof all unite to enhance rather than detract from the square deck house design. Remember that this boat is beamy almost too beamy for a boat of twenty eight feet in length. That vertically plumb sided deck house hides the beam to the eye and gives the impression of the boat being a bit larger than she actually is. I suppose that this is why the boat has been so popular over the years. All is just right as it was first drawn!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 11-03-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Greg,
    I never tire of looking at that photo of "Bright Star", the one that was shot in Spain. One can see a lot of subtle things in the manner that the components draw the entire boat together as a whole. The delicate tiller in conjunction with the curved splash rails on the cockpit and the almost, but not quite, too fine hand rails on the coach roof all unite to enhance rather than detract from the square deck house design. Remember that this boat is beamy almost too beamy for a boat of twenty eight feet in length. That vertically plumb sided deck house hides the beam to the eye and gives the impression of the boat being a bit larger than she actually is. I suppose that this is why the boat has been so popular over the years. All is just right as it was first drawn!
    Jay
    I agree entirely Jay, and you can’t improve on perfection.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg, not a Herroschoff (?) but the Grey Seal I’m building has vertical cabin sides and they don’t look outta place, to my mind at least.
    Theres a YouTube vid about “Saturday Morning mast raising” ( sorry couldn’t get the link out) which shows it pretty well. Maybe the curvature of cabin top draws the eye away but theres tricks you could play with grab rails, hatch or portholes etc that could do a similar thing?

Thanks Andrew, to be honest I’m not all that concerned about it while sticking with the design as I intend to - my initial quandary was really whether Bright Star was built true to the drawings as she looks just right to my eye and I had initially just wondered whether the builder had taken any liberties with the design, i.e. perhaps to suit his own style of building or personal opinions, as some builders will do.

But as Jay advised she is indeed true to design with the vertical cabin sides so she really is a perfect example of what to do.

I see on Holliday (the blond timbered H28 in the pic’s above) that she does appear to have a slightly raked angled to the front of the deckhouse, but I’m wondering if that is an illusion as it would be a departure from the plan which shows a vertical front.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Perhaps a few degrees ? The far corner of the cabin front looks parallel to the mast. What's the mast rake ?

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

A small step forward while I’m working away, I’ve finally ordered the huon pine for the cabin sides. I ended up actually going for the cheapest of the logs offered at the recommendation of Tasmanian Special Timbers (TST) who are selling it to me.

I had initially planned to buy the largest (and most expensive) of the logs but the boss at TST had a closer look at all the planks and wasn’t comfortable that I’d get the clear width that I requested all the way along the plank. He took the time going through all of the logs that he has that appeared suitable and is most comfortable that I’ll get the best length and width ratio out of this one, the cheapest of the logs.

There is some staining in the sapwood but the width that I requested, 300mm, is measured from inside the sap wood so it’s not an issue and I’m happy to be able to save the money and put it towards something else, like the port holes.

The most readily available option is this shape of Davey bronze port hole:

I’d actually prefer this shape but I’ve not been able to source anything like them in Oz. These ones are advertised by Marine Direct in the US and I’ve been trying to get a price from them shipped to Oz but without much success so far. They advertise them as:

"Great find! These bronze portlights are all original parts from the Maritime Bronze company two decades ago. All are in unused condition.These bronze opening oval portlights are made of cast bronze. Add a nice classic look to your boat with this port light."

At least two opening ones - one either side of the cabin aft over the galley and nav station, and one either side over the settees forward though opening or fixed may be budget dependant.......I’m still thinking that one through
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Great to see progress even while you're away. Top stuff.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

That's a good recommendation for Tasmanian Special Timbers Greg .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Hmmm - I just found these at Classic Boat Supplies here in Oz, I wonder why I’d not seen them there before, possibly because I’ve been searching Davey, these are Spartan:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Great to see progress even while you're away. Top stuff.

Sent from a phone.
    every little bit is a step forward Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That's a good recommendation for Tasmanian Special Timbers Greg .
    I’ve been really comfortable dealing with them Peter, I’ve never had any doubt that they’d do the right thing by me and I can’t speak highly enough about them - but the proof will be in the pudding. I’ve (hopefully) got it sorted for delivery to coincide when I’m home at Christmas so that I can help unload it and stack it away where I want it to acclimatise until I use it. I’ve got to work through Christmas but can do so from home, so sadly it’s unlikely that I’ll get to do much more on the boat when I’m home.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

At least you will he home.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book