Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2060697071 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,450 of 2583

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Looking good Greg. Nice progress. Must feel good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Bruce, though I must confess that it really just feels like it’s taking too long now.....

But I can start working on the cabin structure now and getting that up really will feel good
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Another big step towards your goal Greg. I hope you can focus/enjoy the steps from here to the end. Don’t I know how you’re feeling, I find the psychological aspects of moods during a major project interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post

But I can start working on the cabin structure now and getting that up really will feel good
    Definitely. Looking forward to seeing how you go about constructing that Greg.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

"Don't take life seriously. Either way, you won't make it out alive."

I’ve been trying to post a description of the glassing for anyone interested but every time I do I lose everything that I’ve typed, so here’s a (somewhat) abridged version:

Glass (on both hull and deck is 610gm Double bias (@21.5oz), epoxy is Kinetix R246TX mixed 4:1 by weight

Hull and deck were “primed” or resin coated with epoxy, squeegied to spread, excess squeegied off and allowed to dry before being lightly sanded to remove any raised grain or “fuzz”. This made final wetting out much easier, quicker and more effective.

Glass was laid down to a wetted surface, fully wetted and then covered with peel ply.

Glass seams along the deck were laid into @2mm routed “trench” (except where I stuffed up one join along the side deck and missed my trench, however the resultant join mid deck came out quite flat after working it with a fibreglass roller....enough that it will only need very minimum fairing. I overlapped the seams @25mm.

Some of the peel ply on the deck bubbled up in a few places as the epoxy cured, even though it was well and truly flat and rolled down nicely when laid. One lot worse than anywhere else and I think from where I may have “tortured” the peel ply a bit to try and get it to meet the curve of the hull (I’d cut it a bit short). No great issue, it’ll just need a bit more attention when I do the final sand and fairing before painting.

The estimated additional weight to the hull will be @90 - 95kg (after resin coating, fairing etc and IF I lay another run of glass below the water-line, which I do plan to do if/when I can get my mates back up to help me).

Peel ply on the hull, no bubbles:

[IMG]IMG_3388 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

On deck, some minor bubbles but suitable:

[IMG]IMG_3385 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Most of the deck was like this, pretty good:

[IMG]IMG_3379 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

This patch though.....weird:

[IMG]IMG_3380 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

One of my seam “trenches” showing how those bubbles presented under the peel ply. The glass is still properly wetted out, it’s just missing the rough surface texture that the peel ply leaves:

[IMG]IMG_3381 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is the extent of the hump where the seam landed away from my trench - barely perceptible:

[IMG]IMG_3383 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Definitely. Looking forward to seeing how you go about constructing that Greg.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    So am I Mike, it’ll be a bit of a journey of discovery......as usual
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Glass from the hull wrapped @40mm over the deck and then the glass from the deck wrapped @40mm down the hull. The seams will be faired in with fairing compound but will eventually be covered with rubbing strakes and toe rails.

[IMG]IMG_3405 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

My current challenge is to get my head around the dimensions and shape of the cabin sides and the camber, beam, height and longitudinal curve of the cabin top.

Rather than being straight and simple, LFH’s drawings show a very slight convex curve to the top edge of the cabin sides and @25% taper down from aft to fwd. Meanwhile the cabin top runs flat for @2/3 - 3/4 of it’s length and then curves down slightly.

[IMG]IMG_3423 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The height of the cabin top is reasonably easy to determine as the flat part of it runs horizontal to the water line from the point at the height of the bow.

Determining the top of the cabin sides isn’t quite as straight forward but it appears that the fwd and aft ends sit in a line from the point of the bow to a point @156mm above the transom, with the very slight curve in between not really following anything that I can determine.........yet.....

So I’ve run a couple of string lines where I believe the cabin top and sides should sit in relation to my hull, using what I can pull from LFH’s drawings – more in principle than as specific measurements as there are a few small variations between my hull and drawing, not least of which being that my cabin is slightly longer than in the drawings and I want the dimensions to “look” right once finished.

[IMG]IMG_3414 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3417 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Difficult to see because of the perspective, but this somewhat shows the taper of the cabin top to the cabin sides as it runs fwd (I ended up changing the top line after checking it with a laser level while the boat is sitting level to the waterline)

[IMG]IMG_3421 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I will have 14 athwartships cabin deck beam positions so I marked them out along each side of the carlings and measured the beam widths at those pints as well as the heights from the side decks to the string lines that represent the top line of the cabin side and the cabin top (at least the straight line of them at this stage anyway).

[IMG]IMG_3413 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3417 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3422 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

With those measurements I’m able to start working on the cabin top cambers (after I go back and double check them all.....) -
    Last edited by Larks; 05-09-2022 at 11:48 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

In practice I will draw up the carlings separately and with a sharper pencil to set up the moulds but at this stage I was just after an idea of the variation in camber from one end to the other so drew up four frames (2, 5, 10 and 14):

[IMG]IMG_3424 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3427 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3428 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

WOW! In plan view it doesn't look like there's that much taper to the cabin trunk, but in the elevation for those sections it really shows up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Greg, I did take a look at the original sheer plan this morning and can confirm that the coach roof of the deckhouse is parallel to the water line. The house sides
    them selves taper in height from aft to forward. The sheer of the deck creates the line it follows. I will check my own boat when I get back to where she is wintering. There is an optical hollow in the upper edge of the sides that may prove to be caused by the athwart ships bow of the sides. It is subtile but it is there. All in all the deck house is a riot of subtle curves although it looks rectangular at first glance. LFH was the master of that subtly!
    Jay

'Really wishing that I could quiz Jay right now.......... and really hoping that he’s doing OK.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Meanwhile it’s been a really nice treat this afternoon to get to unstack and get another look at my stash of Huon Pine after about 5 years (since I had it shipped up from Tasmania and stickered it and stored it away.

As soon as I’m completely comfortable that I have my head around the cabin structure (probably after sleeping on it tonight) I’ll be ready to start working on two of these for the cabin sides. The widest planks have a few knots in them but I’m hoping that I might still be able to line them up with portholes - I see from an old post here that I had lined them up when I first got the planks so hopefully that was correct.

away)[IMG]IMG_3429 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]:
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Nice boards Greg. Could be a case of measure thrice cut once.
    Exciting times.

I bet when you pulled them out the blood pressure started up. I can smell them from here (in Italy no less)

great

'Really wishing that I could quiz Jay right now.......... and really hoping that he’s doing OK.
    you will do him proud wherever he is Greg, I’m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    you will do him proud wherever he is Greg, I’m sure.
    Thanks mate, I hope so.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

As they say, time in reconnaissance is seldom wasted......

I didn’t have it quite right yesterday, in so far as I thought that somehow the longitudinal concave curve of the top edge of the cabin sides may somehow have been derived by the camber and longitudinal level of the cabin top along with the width of the cabin and the height of the carlings going forward (ie slightly dipping and widening before rising and narrowing again......). But I just couldn’t get a picture of it in my head.

Having drawn up a few more camber curves based on the top points of each “station” (30mm apart) being level, it looks like the cabin sides should actually form a convex curve about the middle, ie the cabin sides would be higher in the middle than at the ends.........in other words it’d be butt ugly.

I’ve realised that I need to construct the cabin sides first and take my cabin heights (for establishing the cambers) from the top of them instead of from the carling heights.

So back to the drawing board and for the life of me I could not work out how that slight curve along the top of the cabin sides is derived.....

[IMG]IMG_3434 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3433 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3432 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

So I have cut up a rough template using the fwd and aft cabin side heights but with a flat top edge between. I can not get a decent view (or a decent photo) from alongside the boat because of the structure of my loft, but it’s still pretty clear by setting up the template that a straight top "appears" to have a convex curve when seen against the sheer of the hull:

[IMG]IMG_3431 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

So I took a bunch of measurements from the drawings at 300mm spacings and had a go at transposing them to the template to see what it presented......... I didn’t get a photo but the results were not inspiring. The problem being that my side deck does not seem to confirm nicely to the details of the drawings.

So back to the old fashioned method of stick a batten on it and see what I can come up with:

[IMG]IMG_3437 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

and to be honest I’m not too disappointed with the result:

[IMG]IMG_3442 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 05-11-2022 at 02:28 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

It steel “feels” a little high up forward from this angle so I’ll have another look tomorrow in a fresh light and see what I make of it:

[IMG]IMG_3445 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

This template was really very roughly cut but it gives me an idea of the shape that I want and allows me to start lining up planks:

[IMG]IMG_3446 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thats a nice stack of lumber!!! No supply chain issue there....

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Thats a nice stack of lumber!!! No supply chain issue there....
    Huon Pine is actually highly protected and illegal to log these days Willin’, so quite scarce and has sort of a “supply chain” issue of its own before the current supply chain issues. There’s a company down in Tasmania who have license to salvage flooded timber from the bottom of lakes and dams, I bought this log and had it shipped up to me 5 years ago......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Cabin sides shaped and up in MDF - once I have the top curve better smoothed out I might just glass them and call them good......

[IMG]IMG_3452 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Using the reference lines of the original drawings (rather than the dimensions) to set up these MDF panels they end up about 40mm higher than the dimensions on the drawing (320mm v @280mm). So I reckon I’ll take them down to 295mm so that I can run the planks for the sides through my own 300mm thicknesser rather than take them down to a friend of a friend to thickness them.

It’s impossible to tell what difference that 25mm reduction makes appearance wise given the boats position (since the pic above I have cut the port side down to try and compare them), but having already sacrificed the head room to get closer to the drawings I don’t think 25mm is going to make any real difference to anything else if I keep the cabin apex to the same reference line as the drawings...... (depending on appearance when I mock it up)

The planks for the cabin sides are 25mm thick and I don’t want to reduce them, just make sure that they are even throughout.

As for the difference in cabin side height using the reference lines, I can only think that my hull has slightly more curve to the sheer than the original design, making the reference lines from bow to stern sit a little higher.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Cabin sides shaped and up in MDF - once I have the top curve better smoothed out I might just glass them and call them good......

[IMG]IMG_3452 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Using the reference lines of the original drawings (rather than the dimensions) to set up these MDF panels they end up about 40mm higher than the dimensions on the drawing (320mm v @280mm). So I reckon I’ll take them down to 295mm so that I can run the planks for the sides through my own 300mm thicknesser rather than take them down to a friend of a friend to thickness them.

It’s impossible to tell what difference that 25mm reduction makes appearance wise given the boats position (since the pic above I have cut the port side down to try and compare them), but having already sacrificed the head room to get closer to the drawings I don’t think 25mm is going to make any real difference to anything else if I keep the cabin apex to the same reference line as the drawings...... (depending on appearance when I mock it up)

The planks for the cabin sides are 25mm thick and I don’t want to reduce them, just make sure that they are even throughout.

As for the difference in cabin side height using the reference lines, I can only think that my hull has slightly more curve to the sheer than the original design, making the reference lines from bow to stern sit a little higher.
    Should work, mdf is a very resilient product and for bonus points and preservation purposes, full of formaldehide.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Should work, mdf is a very resilient product and for bonus points and preservation purposes, full of formaldehide.
    Yep, just as good as foam core I reckon....... but it does go mouldy very quickly when there’s a bit of rain about....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Another benefit of dropping the height of the cabin sides by 25mm is that I can squeeze one side from a narrower and knot free plank.

The Huon Pine that I have has some absolutely lovely furniture grade figured timber in the wider planks from the centre of the log, but that has made it challenging to navigate one of the templates around the knots that contribute to that figuring:

[IMG]IMG_3459 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3460 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

In one plank I can happily locate one of the portholes over the only small problem knot in the plank:

[IMG]IMG_3461 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3462 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

But the rest of the wide planks really weren’t filling me with confidence and I was starting to think about the process of stabilising the knots in place with epoxy......and wondering how effective that’d be over time.

But fortunately one of the narrower and completely clear planks just manages to fit one side in it, allowing for about 20mm of sap wood, so I have my two suitable planks for the cabin sides:

[IMG]IMG_3463 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now I just need to find the courage to cut them out.....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

What will the other planks be used for Greg?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    What will the other planks be used for Greg?
    They’ll go into furniture Andrew
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Another benefit of dropping the height of the cabin sides by 25mm is that I can squeeze one side from a narrower and knot free plank.

The Huon Pine that I have has some absolutely lovely furniture grade figured timber in the wider planks from the centre of the log, but that has made it challenging to navigate one of the templates around the knots that contribute to that figuring:

[IMG]IMG_3459 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3460 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

In one plank I can happily locate one of the portholes over the only small problem knot in the plank:

[IMG]IMG_3461 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3462 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

But the rest of the wide planks really weren’t filling me with confidence and I was starting to think about the process of stabilising the knots in place with epoxy......and wondering how effective that’d be over time.

But fortunately one of the narrower and completely clear planks just manages to fit one side in it, allowing for about 20mm of sap wood, so I have my two suitable planks for the cabin sides:

[IMG]IMG_3463 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now I just need to find the courage to cut them out.....
    If you like your template you should be fine......be bold

I’ve been spending a bit of time trying different deck heights and the resultant cambers, initially using the reference line from the drawings used to set the cabin deck height at its apex - which is a horizontal line from the point off the bow.

Using that reference line however the camber/curvature appears far too severe so I’ve been gradually dropping the cabin apex height to see where it kinda’ sorta’ looks right.

I didn’t take a pic of that initial set up but here’s one with the apex dropped by 40mm from the line of the drawings. It’s close and I don’t mind it but it’s still a stronger curve than shown in the drawings and on "Bright Star", "Holiday" and “Lark”. Even with it dropped by 40mm I have about 100mm more headroom than the drawings show.

I might be overthinking this but I’m concerned that if the curve is just a little too pronounced, although increasing head room below, it will spoil the final appearance and elegance of the design that I’m trying to get back to.

I don’t know why there is such a difference between my boat and the drawings, but it is quite noticeable. I thought I may have measured the waterline wrong and so I don’t have her sitting level (to the waterline) but it appears correct - and in typing this I know that I’ll go and check it again........ The alternative might be that I have a more pronounced sheer....???

Either way I’ll add a couple of interim frame templates to give me a clearer idea of what it looks like and will then take the apex down a little more to see if I can find a happy medium.

[IMG]IMG_3469 by GregLarkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3472 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

For comparison - Bright Star’s deck:

And Holiday's

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

My brother (who is a heck of a lot better with maths and Excel spreadsheets than me) has made up a tool for me to expedite the process of producing cambers for the 14 frame’s and their relative widths and heights so that I can play with the height options much more conveniently........ and it is absolutely much more convenient.

[IMG]Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 09.40.01 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I’m also setting up the forward corners for the cabins (not at all dithering about cutting the cabin side planks ). I’ll need them fitted up before I finalise the cabin sides anyway.

I have another slab of Huon Pine that I’d bought for making stabilised knife handles and for some turning and I’ve managed to get a piece out of that long enough for both corner pieces ...... such dreadful looking timber that it is....

[IMG]IMG_3473 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3476 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Hi Greg,
    Have you tried running a number of evenly spaced stringers fore and aft over the templates. These may indicate a little more clearly in 3D the lay of the cabin top.
    Looking at a single curve on a template can make it seem more severe than it actually is. Spreading the intended plane out over a larger area and obtaining a more visible shape can sometimes soften the look as it were.
    It can also indicate that there maybe to much curve.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Last edited by Mike1902; 05-18-2022 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Hi Greg,
    Have you tried running a number of evenly spaced stringers fore and aft over the templates. These may indicate a little more clearly in 3D the lay of the cabin top.
    Looking at a single curve on a template can make it seem more severe than it actually is. Spreading the intended plane out over a larger area and obtaining a more visible shape can sometimes soften the look as it were.
    It can also indicate that there maybe to much curve.

Cheers,
    Mike.

I haven’t yet Mike, that’s kinda my thought behind adding a couple more templates to the picture but I was thinking instead of draping a thin sheet of MDF over them. I think your idea of a few stringers would actually be clearer and easier and I’ve got a bunch of cedar strips left over from my mates build that would be ideal for the job.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Do you have any profile photos of boat to photoshop?

Looking "right" beats following the drawings every time in my mind.
    From what you are finding, I'm thinking the sheer or deck camber are not built to plan like you say.
    Going slow at this stage is fully justified.
    You will be looking at her while rowing away for a long time hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Do you have any profile photos of boat to photoshop?
    I do Andrew, I might have a go at trying to overlay it with the drawing or with a profile of Bright Star, (if I have the software to do it...??)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary