Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394849
Results 1,681 to 1,703 of 1703

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Greg I don't have any pictures of dads boat that really show the cabin top curve or the slope of the sides perfectly but you might be able to glean a little from these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Larks,
    I am sorry that I can't get to "Bright Star" to help you out right now. I am pretty sure that her beams are set plumb. Just a slight bevel on top would be all you need. If you wish the bottom can be also beveled. Capping them with a varnished batten gives a nice look. The bevel can be sawn into the beam as you get them out using your band saw and the table tilted. This would be easier than laminating them as each one is different due to the progressive narrowing of the sides of the deck house. Again, stretching a wire from the after crown to the fwd end of the house will allow you to measure the height of each beam due to the slant of the coach roof.
    Jay

I’d like to have been further along with this by now after this last decent stint at home, but too many other distractions with projects on the house and the block and a few other small contracts and jobs here and there have meant that I haven’t quite had the clear run at the boat that I was hoping so never really got up the head of steam that I should have to plow into it properly.

So, sadly, yesterday was clean up and cover up day in the shed to give me a clear day today to finalise a few projects at home and clean and pack the Amarok up ready to drive down to Canberra tomorrow for a new 12 month contract.

Here’s where I’ve left her - the saloon seating is in place, the trim needs some router burn marks cleaned up before oiling, the seat fronts need to be fabricated and fitted and I will hinge the seat top hatches with SS piano hinges:

[IMG]IMG_0173 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The aft end of the port settee isn’t yet trimmed as that will be covered by the galley face.

[IMG]IMG_0170 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I had bright finished the sides in the cabin to show off some of the Huon pine, but I’m still thinking about how much of it to leave exposed and whether I may paint over some or all of it - I’ll wait until it’s more fitted and see how it looks.

[IMG]IMG_0158 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0164 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0176 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Router burn needing some clean up

[IMG]IMG_0167 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I bit of a stuff up that I’ve managed to come up with a work around for, the face of the settee trim was lined up to sit flush with the bulkhead trim but, without thinking it through properly, I made it thicker to give it some more strength and substance than the trim on the bulkhead.

The result was that on both sides it blocked a little semi-secret hatch that I’d built to make use of space under the book case in each bulkhead.

Rather than have the face of the trim sit proud of the bulkhead trim, or thin down all of the settee trim to match the bulkhead, I’ve used that end piece of trim as the “lock” for the bulkhead hatch by hinging it out:

The overlap that blocks the hatch:

[IMG]IMG_0168 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0169 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not sure yet how I’ll lock the hinged flap in place when it’s up, probably just a small sliding bolt or a rare earth magnet......or maybe a pin coming up from below......

But sadly that’s as far as I’ve managed to get for now, so covers on and shed cleaned and pretty much closed up for the next 12 months:

[IMG]IMG_0178 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0179 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0180 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The plan now is to pack a few things up in the ute, including some carving tools and maybe my tiller and a few other bits and pieces of wood to play with a few projects while I’m away, hit the road tomorrow morning, have a break on the way in Port Stephens before getting to Canberra late Friday, find somewhere to live for 12 months and start work again next Monday to top up the coffers so that I can, hopefully, get a clearer run at finishing her off in a year.

So I’ll miss my ideal of having her in the water this year to celebrate her 50th birthday, but I’d still like to take her to Hobart in 2019.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Lovely to see that work Greg, love the detail and fine woodwork. Safe trip and good luck with the job over the next 12 months. I might be down that way for a spot of fly fishing early next year. If so, I'll give you a buzz and try to grab a beer.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Safe travel good luck with the new job.

Man.. one thing about going away for a few months is coming back and catching up on some of my favorite threads.
    That just looks fantastic,Greg.
    Just great. I wish I had your patience and skills.

As I've said before, Greg could do this job with a sharpened spoon! He's good !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Asap View Post
    I can understand your lack of ease with how the sides look but doubt painting it would be wise, especially after the work likely done in removing same. I’d suggest that a raw Huon look might work, maybe with a flat or matt finish or, that failing, just oil.

Thanks Asap, I reckon you are right and it’s also what Kate had suggested, i.e. take the gloss back a bit to a more satin or matt finish - it has quite a few coats of gloss on there at the moment to seal it well and it won’t take much to tone it down a bit. It is a lovely colour and it shows the structure of the hull so it’d be nice to leave it.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Lovely to see that work Greg, love the detail and fine woodwork. Safe trip and good luck with the job over the next 12 months. I might be down that way for a spot of fly fishing early next year. If so, I'll give you a buzz and try to grab a beer.
    Thanks John, (I hope your grandfather likes what I’ve done to his wardrobe).

The first thing that I've pulled out to pack is my fly rod and fly tying gear and pretty much be my first activity once I’ve got some long term accomodation sorted will be scoping out where to go with it and I am quite looking forward to that.

I don’t know Canberra or the area around it at all, (my impression is that it’s chockablock full of bureaucrats but is surrounded by pretty country, cold in winter and ugly dry in Summer - when I asked one of my mates how he was doing down there a couple of years his response was “not bad, but I think Summer fell on a Wednesday this year and I was away that day....”) so if you know the area for fly fishing and have any suggestions I’d be very appreciative. The only guys who I vaguely know to go to for advice are the guys down at Alpine Angler near Cooma.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Safe travel good luck with the new job.
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Man.. one thing about going away for a few months is coming back and catching up on some of my favorite threads.
    That just looks fantastic,Greg.
    Just great. I wish I had your patience and skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    As I've said before, Greg could do this job with a sharpened spoon! He's good !
    Thanks Tom, JB and Peter and welcome back to terra firms JB, it was great following your thread on the cruise and your FB pics.

I’m taking the sharpened spoons to Canberra Peter and will see what I can make of them down there. I doubt that I’ll find anywhere with the same garage set up that I had in Mandurah, everything to rent in Canberra looks like it’ll be a one bedroom closet, but I’ll see what I can do on a kitchen bench.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Ahh, Canberra, so I was wrong by a few km. Good luck with it. Should be plenty of time for project work there. You could take up snow skiing in winter. Hope it goes well, and you find decent digs.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Thanks John, (I hope your grandfather likes what I’ve done to his wardrobe).
    I think he'd be really chuffed, it's fantastic!

To be honest, the staff at Alpine Angler are definitely the ones to go to for both the best streams at the time and the go-to flies. Their website has regular fishing reports, the trout season is open by now, and they'll give good advice over the phone as well. I don't know of a Canberra fly shop, but there'll be one for sure. Also will be a club. Might be a good place to find someone to share a trip and a beer with..always more fun fishing for trout with two people I reckon.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

The headwaters of the Petaluma River and up a hill. ,CA

Sheez, Larks. Looking really beautiful. Damn.
    My deckbeams I cheated and traced them from old but I did laminate and guaranteed losing zero.zero degrees anything back anywhere, by laminating them on the opposite plane. Cut several of the true shape looking at them horizontally and stacked them vertically.
    Worked ok.
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

Sheet, we just get used to perving on your Pron and you up an leave us. Good luck in the new contract and plan lots of good stuff for us.

12 months? And what are we suppposed to do in the meantime? Feels a little selfish frankly....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Ahh, Canberra, so I was wrong by a few km. Good luck with it. Should be plenty of time for project work there. You could take up snow skiing in winter. Hope it goes well, and you find decent digs.
    Thanks Phil, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I think he'd be really chuffed, it's fantastic!

To be honest, the staff at Alpine Angler are definitely the ones to go to for both the best streams at the time and the go-to flies. Their website has regular fishing reports, the trout season is open by now, and they'll give good advice over the phone as well. I don't know of a Canberra fly shop, but there'll be one for sure. Also will be a club. Might be a good place to find someone to share a trip and a beer with..always more fun fishing for trout with two people I reckon.
    Thanks John, do sing out when your down there, it’d be great to catch up and go for a fish

Quote Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
    Sheez, Larks. Looking really beautiful. Damn.
    My deckbeams I cheated and traced them from old but I did laminate and guaranteed losing zero.zero degrees anything back anywhere, by laminating them on the opposite plane. Cut several of the true shape looking at them horizontally and stacked them vertically.
    Worked ok.
    Hey Kerry, nice to see you here again. I did keep some of the old laminated deck beams but they’ve sprung back somewhat while in storage so I can’t rely in their shape for the new ones

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    Sheet, we just get used to perving on your Pron and you up an leave us. Good luck in the new contract and plan lots of good stuff for us.
    Thanks Andrew, much appreciated mate.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    12 months? And what are we suppposed to do in the meantime? Feels a little selfish frankly....
    Yeah I know - very selfish indeed, and all about chasing money
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg, the vertcal surfaces of Bright Star's deck house are all plumb. That is how LFH designed it to be.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-18-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks Jay, that’s how I see them on the drawing but had wondered how the builder may have translated that in practice - i.e. whether he may have used a bit of "builders license”.

Am just sitting down to a nice nightcap of Redbreast over-looking a marina at a very pleasant little resort hotel in Corlette, Port Stephens, after a particularly long days drive - very pleasant.
    Last edited by Larks; 10-19-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I envy you Greg! Incidentally, my father inlaw made the model.

I remember you posting about it Jay, he did a lovely job - must be a lot of hours invested in it.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

That really is a lovely model!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thanks guys I am lucky to have a bride who grew up on sail boats too!
    Jay