Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2425152
Results 1,786 to 1,799 of 1799

Thread: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Default Re: H28 "Larrikin" rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    This is a great thread Lark. Lot of work sure but it takes only some time and patience + some money !!!

I will follow your progress.

Salute from Montreal, Canada
    Thank you for looking in and commenting. I’m working a long way from home at the moment so sadly progress has stalled for a bit ....., but hopefully not too much longer and it’s all adding to the budget so worth while.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Found some lovely olde but very well built and perfectly suitable portholes at the right price and in the right shape and had the very great pleasure of meeting a particularly nice gent' in the process:

[IMG]IMG_1418 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1417 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

They need some cleaning up, new seals and so on and I’ll have to get backing plates cast for them. At the same time I’ll make up some templates to get two matching port lights (?? i.e. fixed glass not opening) cast.

My intention is to have one opening one either side of the cabin aft and one fixed one either side forward in the cabin, plus two small round ones in the front bulkhead of the cabin.

The third oval porthole is an optional extra that I grabbed because it was a good price for the three but I may use that aft facing into the cockpit over the galley.......I’m not so sure about that yet and don’t want to use it just for the sake of using it.

The screws for the glass frames are all pretty likely to break when I try to take the glass out to reseal it and to replace the broken panel, so will probably need drilling out and re-tapping but that’s no great issue.

Anyway, I’m pretty pleased with the find and very pleased with the price!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

A great find Greg !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Lucky man!!!! They are awesome!!!
    ''The work is teaching you the work'' : Bernard Moitessier.

Single-handed Sailor, 1968-1969 Golden Globe Challenge, 1st around the world sailing race.

Very nice find Greg.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Put the spare one in the bottom of the dingy for when you go fishin'

Indeed Greg, You hit the jackpot with those port lights! "Bright Star" does not have any port lights or dead lights in the after bulkhead at the end of the deck house facing aft. I kind of like that as I plan to mount an oil lamp in that area on each side of that area to light up the galley. I think that not having a fixed dead light or port light is a better way to go as light from the cabin can be controled at night by closing the doors on the deck house so as to allow the helmsman not to have his night vision affected by light from a light source shining aft. But, if you do want the port light in the galley, you can always rig for red with the cabin lights and save night vision.
    Jay
    Stove will go here and plotting will be done on the saloon table. Lamp on builkhead.
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-30-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Another lamp will go here as well. Might go on the corner post.

Good for you Greg .
    I like my aft facing porthole I generally keep it open year round for better cross ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Indeed Greg, You hit the jackpot with those port lights! "Bright Star" does not have any port lights or dead lights in the after bulkhead at the end of the deck house facing aft. I kind of like that as I plan to mount an oil lamp in that area on each side of that area to light up the galley. I think that not having a fixed dead light or port light is a better way to go as light from the cabin can be controled at night by closing the doors on the deck house so as to allow the helmsman not to have his night vision affected by light from a light source shining aft. But, if you do want the port light in the galley, you can always rig for red with the cabin lights and save night vision.
    Jay
    Stove will go here and plotting will be done on the saloon table. Lamp on builkhead.
    Thanks Jay, I have a whacky of idea of fitting my stove to drawer runners that would allow it to stow away through the aft bulkhead, one side or the other, back under one of the cockpit seats to slide out over either the chart table or beside the galley sink. I plan to build myself a nice and functional chart table/nav centre, though it’s a plan certainly not fully formed yet and I’ll need to mock it up before building it.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Good for you Greg .
    I like my aft facing porthole I generally keep it open year round for better cross ventilation.
    Thanks Tom, nice to know and to keep in mind when I decide. I’ve sailed a yacht that had a similar setup and it was a nice thing to have in the tropics with the washboards closed in the rain. Though I also plan a slightly wider cockpit hatch than per LFH’s plans specifically for tropical Queensland weather so the hatch may not fit anyway.....and I'll of course have a decent boom tent for that same Queensland weather........
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Hi Larks your mention of ventilation in the Tropics brought to mind a very effective item known as a "wind Sail" The term is a bit obscure and I don't know who first invented it although Olin Stephens comes to mind. I think it was first used on his famous yawl "Dorade".
    Regardless of who did it, this is one item that really works and keeps a boat well ventelated when at anchor.

This is a round or square tube of canvas that fits over the fore hatch that has a closed top but an open mouth on the side that faces the wind. It is held upright by a halyard. It contains a pair of staggered canvas baffles that slant downward on the outer sides and have drain holes in case of rain; Kind of like a "Dorade" ventilator box. The tube bottom is shaped to fit over the fore hatch frame and can be kept in place with a bungee cord around it. The hole works folds or rolls up and can be stored in a sail bag. In hot weather this device keeps a nice flow of cooling air through the cabin!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Hi Larks your mention of ventilation in the Tropics brought to mind a very effective item known as a "wind Sail" The term is a bit obscure and I don't know who first invented it although Olin Stephens comes to mind. I think it was first used on his famous yawl "Dorade".
    Regardless of who did it, this is one item that really works and keeps a boat well ventelated when at anchor.

This is a round or square tube of canvas that fits over the fore hatch that has a closed top but an open mouth on the side that faces the wind. It is held upright by a halyard. It contains a pair of staggered canvas baffles that slant downward on the outer sides and have drain holes in case of rain; Kind of like a "Dorade" ventilator box. The tube bottom is shaped to fit over the fore hatch frame and can be kept in place with a bungee cord around it. The hole works folds or rolls up and can be stored in a sail bag. In hot weather this device keeps a nice flow of cooling air through the cabin!
    Jay
    Thanks Jay, though I must confess that I am very familiar with wind scoops and their versatility and many advantages, having spent so long living in and cruising around the tropics and I have a few of them still from my time living on Pau Hana while cruising up around Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.

Mine are made from spinnaker cloth and fold down pretty well small enough to fit in your pocket - if you’re in a marina you can hang them at any direction to catch the breeze if you are tied up side on to it or if your hatch opens aft.

I can thoroughly attest to their sanity saving value, particularly at night, as I can also thoroughly attest to the great value of full cover awnings from stem to stern in the same conditions......ideally with a gutter and fill pipe.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Darn, I woke up in the middle of the night remembering that I forgot to add that some strategically placed battens will help the shape to not collapse. I figured you might know about this one. I wouldn't leave port without one!
    Jay