Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: John Henry... Easy scarfing and glueup

Default Re: John Henry... Easy scarfing and glueup

gorgeous

I guess we got close to one of our most admired designs.... We feel our improvements make our boat superior to any flats boat we know of.... mostly because of the advantages of epoxy composite construction. We may add a small side console later down the road, but Mark is not interested in a center console as it takes up too much room in the cockpit.

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 05-16-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Rod, beautiful!! I hope that's a hollow spruce bird's mouth pole though

Thanks Johnno...

Update... Mark had a great fishing trip and was able to again fish right beside a real Maverick HPX and this time he had a chance to compare them in poling, quietness when poling, floating attitude, stability, etc. All in all, we are quite satisfied with the performance of this modified hull forefoot... and plan a few tweaks in the next build. Our hull is lighter and stiffer than the same type of hull in fiberglass. It poles easier and handles rough water very well with a softer motion as the hull goes over the waves.

I'll add a few images of the finally completed boat on the water soon.

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 05-29-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Ok, heres a video of our boat out by Key West Tarpon fising... Mark at the helm...

There are 3 people and the 60hp Yamaha is running her very fast... she is easily driven as you can see.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=IMG_0656.mp4

RodB

Hope to install an I-pilot from MInnkota soon and also change over the steering to remote with the hydraulic system.

RodB

Rod I noticed an aftermarket hydrofoil on your friend's motor .These interest me ,but I know nothing about them first hand .Do you run one on your's too ? Have you tried the boat without it ,or does this boat type just typically benifit from the addition ?

Bill,

The hydrofoil just helps the boat plane faster... and they work. I don't have one on my flats boat as it has a 90hp Yamaha with an outboard jet pump... and doesn't go down low enough to use one... and its not needed with a jet pump.

If your motor is a bit in the "under powered" range, the hydrofoils help to plane sooner even more so..

RodB

WOW!
    I missed this whole thread. It's just too much to take in all at once. Maybe I need some of that 5 hr energy stuff. I'm blown away. I ain't never....

Heres a few pics from a recent trip to our coast... showing the hull on a lift...

Hopefully the I pilot will be installed soon.

Here we were checking out the straightness of our chine flat... slowly lowering the hull into the water... here the 70% of the chine is kissing the water.

RodB

Is that a chip out of the bow just below the eye?

No, thats the anchor locker drain...

RodB

So how much for the next one? I'll come down from Austin to pick it up.

WITH IMPROVING OUR BOAT, THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF THE BUILD.... So, with the third fishing season upon us (since we first finished this hull) and Mark going to Florida to fish for Tarpon again the last two weeks of May, this year we are upgrading the Maverick style skiff with some new bells and whistles. First, Mark decided to change to a center console (remote steering) instead of the extended tiller. Additionally, the Ipilot trolling motor with the pocket sized remote will be installed. All the gizmos will be working...trim tabs, hydraulic jack plate and Power pole anchor device, etc. The Ipilot is especially cool as it offers "electronic anchor" with the push of a button... it uses GPs and the trolling motor to hold your position. .It also will move you to any waypoints you have set and offers very easy control with a simple pocket sized wireless remote control

Initially, the center console parameters were determined to meet Mark's needs and he definitely wanted a low profile console to catch very little wind and have a minimal footprint. Other flats boats do have consoles which are greater in height, but our console allows for comfortable and functional steering while not affecting the boats interior space much at all. The initial steps once the size and shape were determined were to cut the panel shapes and glass both sides of each panel. Once all panels were glassed assembly began... We have always found dry fitting with smaller sheetrock screws allows for perfect alignment of all elements and once you began glue up, the screws partially screwed out of their first panel... allow for perfect index pins to clamp up the surfaces perfectly. The screw holes are just filled later with thickened epoxy.

Rough fitting the binnacle control allowed us to layout the rest of the equipment on the console. This was early assembly before glue up....

Continuing layout for comfortable handling overall....

Once initial glue up is done, it is best to radius the corners with a router and use a sanding board to make em perfect by hand. This allows for easy taping of the joint exterior surfaces with strips of fiberglass.

After taping the exterior joints, all the cutouts were made for the hardware followed by filleting the joints on the interior and sealing the end grain in the cutouts with multiple coats of epoxy.

Continued.

RodB
    www.brinkboatrepair.com
    Last edited by RodB; 05-14-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Here, the construction is almost complete... and the hinged door is fitted with the pull latch installed. This door design allows for complete removal from the console or just half way open to access the interior. The small keepers with Miller dowels and epoxy for glue up... allow for a smooth channel to secure the lower section of the door.

Here, the hinged door is open to illustrate the easy access. The glued strips on the interior edge of the door panels is Osage for toughness.

Trial fitting the console in the cockpit... Note, a custom cushion will be fabricated and installed to the leading edge of the rear deck...so that it can flip down towards the cockpit floor when you need to stand on the deck.

Drilling access holes on each side of the centerline stringer and marking the location to sand the gluing surface on the cockpit sole. Note: the Kiwigrip sanded down easily to epoxy and fiberglass... using the edge of a 1x2 wrapped with 80 grit sandpaper.

After the bonding site was sanded smooth, small polyethylene covered cleats were stapled for exact location of the console for gluing. Here the console was in perfect position with a 25 pound bag of shot holding her down tight with plenty of thickened epoxy on the opposing surfaces in addition to fillets around the perimeter.

And here, she is sanded, primed, sanded again, primed again and waiting for a final sanding prior to application of Brightsides topcoat. Although the primer on the boat was Interlux Primekote, we used Rustoleum Marine coatings fiberglass primer on this console. It is a high build primer and I had it on hand.

After application of Brightside paint, all installation of hardware etc will be completed. More to come with installation of all the cool goodies to come.

Continued...

RodB
    www.brinkboatrepair.com
    Last edited by RodB; 05-07-2013 at 02:21 AM.

I thought I throw this in... it was before priming the console... a profile to see the height of the console.

Last edited by RodB; 05-07-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Wow

So, here is the console, installed... with one coat of Brightsides... (we had to move on the installation of all the hardware with painting as the lowest priority before the boat will leave for the annual Tarpon fishing trip this coming Saturday). Lots to install from hydraulic steering to the Ipilot trolling motor, the power anchor device and all the standard stuff for remote steering center console equipment. The double switch in front of the binnacle mount is the trim tabs...

Heres the Minnkota quick connect for the Ipilot, which only leaves this small block on the deck when the trolling motor is removed.

Heres the Ipilot system in position... the large white rectangle block that is mounted on the base of the GPS/electronic auto steering unit just slips over the permanently mounted small block in the previous photo and a double pin device is inserted in place. Note the black handle of the C-shaped double pin locking device just under the Minnkota logo.

This closeup shows where we decided to drop the power supply wires into the anchor locker which will then be routed to the compartment behind the anchor locker where we will install a positive and negative bus in addition to two series 27 batteries (the crank battery is already there). Most folks we have seen seem to just run this wire across the deck to the vertical bulkhead and plug it in there, we want the deck to remain clean. This trolling motor is 85 foot pounds... 24 volt,( two batteries in series). The pocket sized remote makes it easy go to any of six different way points or to just hold position (electronic anchor) or to go any direction faster or slower.

Oh yeah, we got tired of West Marine not having electrical gear we needed with such a short time period... so we made our own power buses for equipment installation... just to move on with the work. We used some left over starboard and a bit of 3/8" hardware. Here is the power connection pos and neg for the trolling motor, which will allow easy disconnection using ring connectors... when the trolling motor will not be used. Both the Ipilot trolling motor and the power anchor need to be removed when not needed as they are not used all the time. The third pic here is inside the anchor locker only needing the trolling motor wires to be connected.

Mark recently added a comfortable chair for at least one passenger... the cooler will sit just behind the front deck instead of right in front of the console. This lightweight chair is a sweet comfortable ride when its needed...

More to come in the next few days...as Mark will leave for Florida on Saturday...

RodB
    www.brinkboatrepair.com
    Last edited by RodB; 05-14-2013 at 01:31 AM.

This shows the new look with the tiller arrangement gone...

RodB

Interesting and informative

Great build!!
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

Thanks for the comments...

I thought the installed Sea Star (Teleflex) hydraulic steering might be of interest to some here. This is an expensive unit but a very clean install and really quite easy. The turning is so smooth and all you see is the hydraulic steering unit on the font of the motor as seen here... with the hoses connected. Here I turned max right and left to show how the unit works. Most folks do not spend the money for such a steering unit on a boat this size, but it is a cleaner install and very smooth. Mark has wanted this for awhile.. I think with some smart shopping online, he got the unit and the two hoses for around $800.

We also have installed the Minnkota Talon... the electronic version of a power anchor which does a good job without using hydraulics... via a electric motor. The most well known unit is the "Power Pole", which works with hydraulics and cost about $1200. The Power Pole has been very popular with folks who fish in shallower waters but does require a separate hydraulic pump to be installed in the boat. One push of the button and the heavy duty fiberglass rod extends quickly and stabs the bottom, immediately stopping the boat in its tracks. This is very convenient in shallow water sight casting to game fish.

The Minnkota Talon is powered by an electric motor so it gets rid of the hydraulic pump and runs on 12 volt. It is just a little less expensive than the "Power Pole". The Talon can be mounted on the transom or on a "L" bracket like we have here. Mark happened to have this "L" bracket for a transom mount Minnkota Riptide trolling motor from a past boat, and decided this was the simplest and least expensive way to install the unit. Folks do install the Talon on smaller brackets. The small device between the "L" bracket and the Talon vertical allows the Talon to be hinged over to the horizontal position for storage. The bracket manufacturer specifically says do not transport the boat via trailer or on the water with the unit in the horizontal position so its mainly for more compact storage.

Here she is in the storage position (horizontal).... A small support pole attaches to the motor end for additoinal support .

This view from the stern shows the unit set at approx the right height ... the fiberglass shaft that powers out of the unit at the bottom extends 8 feet at the max.

A wider shot.

Heres the business end of the Talon... the 1" diameter (I think) fiberglass rod stabs the bottom and does a great job of stopping you instantly when you require it in shallower water fishing. It also retracts just as fast if you need to get going.

... test run on Friday ... to put all equipment through its paces... more to come.

RodB
    www.brinkboatrepair.com
    Last edited by RodB; 05-14-2013 at 08:39 AM.

A better view...

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 05-14-2013 at 08:20 AM.

You sure do nice work Rod. I've really enjoyed watching it come together.

Jim
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Thanks Jim... I plan to build myself one of these boats but likely without all the extras ... The boat we emulated in this build costs about $45K with all the bells and whistles... we cut that perhaps almost in half... not counting tons of labor and research.

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 05-14-2013 at 08:43 AM.

As we finished the needed work... I thought I'd point out some of the details that might be of interest....

Here is a new prop that is built by a guru prop guy who says... "if your boat will float in it, the prop I make will get her up".

This prop has more lower end torque and gets her up in a little over a boat length...but top end is less than the larger prop. Note the cupping in the prop.... she really has power taking off...

Recessed trim tabs shown in the up and down position ...

A cleaner shot of the jack plate... which has a built in integral hydraulic system and does not require anything but power to work. Most jack plates need a separate hydraulic pump installed somewhere else in the craft. This unit raises and lowers the outboard which is a great feature for shallow water fishing ....

Here, hatches removed and all Primekote primed surfaces were wet sanded and coated with "Brightsides". This was prepping stage...

And finally some painting.... and paint drying...

And here, the morning of the day we were going to test her at the lake...

Continued...

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 05-21-2013 at 02:03 AM.

So, here we are at the lake ready to test everything... note the background scenery...

...Closer....?

Here she is at the dock with her new clean white trim and dirty Kiwigrip non-skid....

Here, the electronic anchor is extended down.... holding her in place....

Oh yeah... heres the Talon LED's with all on showing complete extension of the fiberglass anchor pole... The number of lights on shows you how far your extension is... She comes with two remote controls with a nice lanyard for keeping around your neck and you can also control her at the controls on the unit shown below...

Con't

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 05-21-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Heres a couple of shots of her running... the trim tabs offer lots of control ...

So... pulled out, sun going down... and she's ready to go to Florida...

The other side...

I have a bunch of images of Mark running the boat but will need to wade through them to come up with some sequences of running her... the following was just before we headed to the ramp...

So... in summary... we built and installed a center console and all that entails... installed the Sea Star Teleflex hydraulic steering system (changed the Yamaha back to remote steering from tiller), installed the Talon electronic anchor, the Minnkota Ipilot with all required power wiring, finally painted all the epoxy primed trim on the boat with Interlux Brightsides (wet sanded first), and installed a reclaimed seat cushion. IF anything of interest comes along, I will post it as this is our design under development and we continue to improve it any way we can.

RodB