Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Reuel Parker 28' Pilot Schooner

Default Re: Reuel Parker 28' Pilot Schooner

Well, I never said I was a saint! I know for a fact that L. Francis Herreshoff would fortify his astute and somwhat quaint comments and writings with the occasional fortification of a bit of "The good New England Rum!" I must admit that my last posting was assisted by a shot or two of a friend's Christmas gift bottle of Twenty year old Single Malt Scotch after a very long day doing boat work! Amazing how that stuff can awaken the dead or cause the living to become dead drunk!
    Jay

All this bluster about rigs. Any rig is only as competent as the crew. Reef points in rig of the boat that started this thread are there for a reason. Overcanvased the vessel and crew pay consequences. I realize we enjoy a good argument. I’d rather a good sail. Yesterday in issue #168 I reread the story on Atkin, designer and builder. It notes a 28’ schooner that did Transatlantic crossings. And then a 45’ ketch that over 22 days did a transit from Nova Scotia to England with average speed of 12.6 knots. The vessel that started this dialogue is on craigslist here: https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl...079913698.html She deserves more than a dissection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    Things one learns on the WBF. I didn't even know there was a derogatory term for portuguese people, or sandals. Not that its really surprising.
    As for the rigs, this is 21. century pleasure boating. Anybody can choose whatever rig he wishes, no explaining needed. Materials and handling are advanced enough to make technical concerns irrelevant unless one goes into superyacht territory. What counts is what one likes and can afford. The rest is yesteryear's debate about "the best".
    Ha! Times change. To be clear, too, as I hope I was, I wasnít offended in any way. You canít know until you know, and some terms have been around for a long time that maybe donít wash so well, anymore.

I certainly donít imagine ANYONE here being malicious, in any way. Well, maybe about building techniques.

Peace,
    Think The OP Is A Handsome Boat, AND I Like Small Schooners (What, NOBODY Is Perfect)

Well it is always refreshing to hear and know that we are a discussion group that tolerates all manner of ideas and speech without, physically, going to war about it!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 03-11-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Well it is always refreshing to hear and know that we are a discussion group that tolerates all manner of ideas and speach without, physically, going to war about it!
    Jay
    Except plywood and epoxy.

Of course! How boring would this place be if everyone were the same? Gah! It’s just that, well, as time passes, and we learn more about one another, we also need to allow when our habits sometime need to die.

Tradition, for example, keeps what is hard learned, and hard won, but also drops by the wayside that which hinders, or has become superfluous. New techniques and technology, once proven, are generally quickly adopted. They become tradition, because traditionally traditions transition.
    Because we don’t celebrate things doesn’t mean we need to forget, either, but, well, we ARE all shipmates, and the ship gets smaller while more hands crowd around the kid, everyday.

The more the merrier and all are welcome MUST mean just that. We all concede, a bit, eh? If we allow for the perceived flaws of others, may we hope they do the same.

Peace,
    Robert

Thank you Robert I don't think we intend to be insulting here on this forum by using slang that is no longer acceptable. But I do appologise for my being unaware of some of the depths of expression that have now become toxic within the minds of many. Know here is a bit more on allergy that comes from chemicals we may use which can also be toxic to our well being.

You all know that I am allergic to the resins and other chemicals that are used in plywood. For me working with it causes sneezing, coughing and swelling of my lips. As a result I avoid its use as much as possible and always were protection when I must work with it. In addition, I so reactive to the laundry product "Bounce" that I have to avoided the isle that where it is displayed in the supermarket to avoid a coughing and sneezing fit!

One of my friends was allergic to epoxy and when we were building boats for a Disneyland attraction he ended up having to stand with his legs in parentheses as a certain critical part of his anatomy swelled up like a basketball forced him to be hospitalized!

I understand that epoxy is much the same as human cells in that it can be readily absorbed by into the blood stream if the skin, lungs and eyes are not protected. Over time a toxic level build up is said to be possible, which can result in a toxic allergic reaction such as my friend had. Quite frankly I believe that it is a good idea to wear gloves and a mask when handling most of the modern products we as boat builders can be subject to. Many of them are cumulative such as is epoxy exposure and can haunt us for a very long time if not a life time!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 03-12-2020 at 03:42 PM.

And finally, as to rig complications, for small boats of designs similar to that of larger boats with multiple masts. The best thing to do is to simplify the complexity of the rig. Go light in weight aloft, avoid complex rigging or components that cause low aerodynamic efficiency, simplify, simplify, simplify!
    Jay

Not trying to hijack this post, but being that it's been dead for two years... what the hell
    I found this boat I call it A "BCS" it is the hull of a Bristol Channel Cutter (BCC) finished as a flush deck schooner

Lima33

Semper FiBCSsailing1.jpg

Pictures of pretty boats are good!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Good article by Reuel on a Seabright skiff build in new WB
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen