Thread: Folbot Rebuild

Default Folbot Rebuild

So the other day I picked up a lil toy. A 70's era Folbot Sporty. 15' by 32" . When I picked it up it was flat as a pancake. All the plywood frames had delaminated. So last night I started to tear into her. I pulled all the hardware off and stripped the material off the deck. This evening I started doing a little bracing and measure-ing and started to fabricate new frames.

5 more to build...

Thanks DGentry for all your advice!

I will hollow them out after final fitting, then coat it all with epoxy and then recover the deck and paddle the lagoon.
    Last edited by davidagage; 02-15-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    "The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place." -Arthur Ransome

Default Re: Folbot Rebuild

Wow! You weren't kidding when you told me the frames had delaminated!

Good luck!
    Dave

Thanks Dave.
    I am half tempted to leave those 2 frames solid but cut in a couple access plates/ports. The cockpit is pretty big and we don't really need to put out legs through.
    "The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place." -Arthur Ransome

I think you may be able to get tracings of the original frames if you ask on the Folbot Forum: http://www.folbotforum.com/

What is the condition of the skin? Looked like mold on the hull. Is the deck OK?

Dave, they were my first contact. I have gotten great input from the guys on the Folbot Forum as well.
    The hull skin is great, no tears/wear or anything. The deck was in worse shape and had several rips and holes. I will be using new material on it.

I am sorry to say we no longer make these older boats. In 1989 a hurricane hit our shop and we redesigned the boats at that time. Sorry, but we no longer have any parts, materials, or plans for these boats. You may want to go into the “Folbot Forum” on our website an look in the section “pre-1990 Folbots” to see if any of our customers can help you. Many of them still have these boats and may be able to give you ideas.

This could have been built as early as the 30's, actually, but the color suggests the late 40's. They were made with a sail. Suggest you CL for free ones to get hardware if you need it. They came with two packs; you could carry it on your back for an easy portage.

I've got a Sporty, probably from the 60's. I might be able to help with some of the dimensions. I got mine as a "free boat" partially assembled with a few errors. I tried to post a pic but is seems that I can't from work. I'll try tonight.

I skipped the "king plank" trim.

Great lookin Sporty Paul!

This evening I should get the last 2 frames roughed out. Then start the final fitup, sanding, coating and the finish it up! I bet by the end of next week I'll have her back in the water (if I can get the cover cloth in time)

OK, I have all the new frames cut out and fitted. Tomorrow I will start to coat them with epoxy.

Almost done

Somehow it seems the perfect boat to go with a Land Rover. Nice find.

Well, looks like she's ready to get wet!

The Teal is 40 year old original material, the yellow is new 18oz pvc coated polyester (truck tarp material). That stuff does not strech and is very tough!

Yep, there are a few wrinkles, but it looks pretty good. (we all have a few wrinkles at her age don't we)
    We are going to splash her this weekend.
    Last edited by davidagage; 03-03-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Looks good, David!
    Unfortunately, that type of PVC material is not amenable to stretching - or to heat shrinking. So, a few wrinkles are usually inevitable, and they are basically impossible to remove. I've had a few on some of my own boats. That stuff is very tough, though!

Congrats!
    Dave Gentry