Thread: 1950s wooden Minesweeper

Default 1950s wooden Minesweeper

View of the laminating plant in Peshtigo, WI circa 1955 with many glued laminated white oak ship frames shown. These were for 165 ft. AMS class minsweepers built at yards such as Burger Boat, Tampa Marine, Hodgson Goudy Stephens and others.

In the mid portion of the picture is the facility of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co., maker of wooden pleasure boats. This was not too long after the disasterous fire in march 1955 which destroyed the big three story boat works building.

Logs in the upper portion are destined for the pulp mill of Badger Paper.

Andreas
    Last edited by AndreasJordahlRhude; 02-10-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Default Re: 1950s wooden Minesweeper

Glued laminated white oak frames leaving the Peshtigo laminating plant bound for Burger Boat in Manitowoc, WI in 1952.

The building furthest in the background is the lumber storage shed of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co., maker of pleasure boats.

Andreas

Cool pictures. Wooden minesweepers were also built by Tacoma Boat in Tacoma, Washington. My boatbuilding instructor from trade school worked on them. There were little bits of laminated minesweeper frames floating around our classroom from which we made mallets. John also talked about large tanks of Pentachloralphenol (sic), where parts were soaked for preservation. I got the impression they were open vats.

A couple of white oak glued laminated stems headed to the shipyard in1952. That's Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. in the background.

Andreas

Beveling the glued laminated timber frames in the ship saw in 1952. Ralph Peterson is running the saw.

Minesweeper frames being loaded onto a barge for shipment to Manitowoc in 1952. This is at Marinette, WI on the Menominee River. Menominee, Michigan is in the background.

US Navy had 14 new ones built in the 1980s too. These were MCM and had a length of 224 ft. Glued laminated timber framing with wood hull planking.

Peterson Builders, Inc. was the lead yard and Marinette Marine Corp. the other yard that built 'em. At the same time Marinette Marine built 21 YP trainer ships for Annapolis of 109 ft. length which were wood framed.

Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hvalsoe View Post
    Cool pictures. Wooden minesweepers were also built by Tacoma Boat in Tacoma, Washington. My boatbuilding instructor from trade school worked on them. There were little bits of laminated minesweeper frames floating around our classroom from which we made mallets. John also talked about large tanks of Pentachloralphenol (sic), where parts were soaked for preservation. I got the impression they were open vats.
    Definitely great pics. I believe the Blanchard Boat Co. in Seattle also built them - as I've been told my boat was built in-between various minesweepers during 1940-41.

I read once that because they had very low freeboard aft they were launched bow first.

Side launch was typical here in the Midwest. Manitowoc Ship Building even launched their subs sideways during WW II.

All these pictures above are Korean War era, not WW II.

Andreas

This one appears to be a stern launch. This is at Fulton yards in Antioch, California in 1952:

Wish I could figure out how to use a photo hosting service, so I could post a photo of one of those Minesweepers still operating.

There in one in Norway preserved by a volunteer organization for show at various opportunities. We toured it at the Woden Boat (Trebat) Festival in Risor last summer.

The Volunteers say she is in better condition than at any time since originally commissioned.

The ship was traded first to Denmark, then to Norway

Moby Nick

I worked a couple of stints at Lake Union Drydock in Seattle, I guess in the mid or late 1990's. Some of the old minesweepers (can't tell you exactly which designation), passed through the yard on their way to Taiwan.

I was not aware that Blanchard built minesweepers. I always think of the little boats, but they built all kinds of things.

Really cool boats. We saw these when we visited the navy yard in Charleston.
    N2