Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4080899091 LastLast
Results 3,116 to 3,150 of 3170

Thread: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Default Re: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

In the DuPont Restoration barn I found Tom drilling a large, deep hole.

He is rebuilding the Morgan's windlass. During the 2009 restoration it was not bad enough yet to repair. But 99.9% of the time, it just sits there facing up into weather. So water got in and you can see what happened.

There was no one in the paint shop to ask about these boats.

A new paint job coming is obvious.

Time for coffee.

Fire Fighter needs an Coast Guard inspection periodically so we can host visitors on board. Simple? Not always. Right now we wait for the inspector to show up.

No tours for me today.

Jake and I spent the day polishing the monitors on Fie Fighter.

Jake bought this "grinder." I bought some belts. And we both went to work.

Turning the belt inside out and using his grinder for power it went pretty fast.

My barber had her arm operated on in August. I've been saving it up for her. Supposed to be back next Tuesday.

The belts I bought were very fine. Too fine actually for what we needed today.

It worked great, but the belts could not get below previous marks.

So Jake continued with other means and I will order more belts.

We had a couple of Coast Guard Academy Cadets volunteering. Carter helped me and Jake.

I never got her name, but she cleaned the decks and hull.

Jake cleaned up the work we did to get ready for a clear coat.

Attached Images Attached Images

We have polished this monitor a couple of times before, but each time we ran out of time so we just covered it up.

But each time we get some color and have to polish it again.

So this time we made sure to get a coat of clear on.

I have not painted with a spray gun very often and not for 40 years or more, but using this small pressurized and refillable spray bottle is sure convenient. However there is not a lot of control. The biggest problem was the wind. The fine stuff blew away before it made contact and the heavier stuff didn't even out on the surface.

So it looks awful from close up, but from 50 feet at least the color is good.

But, at least it won't tarnish. I hope.

Anne came over to tell us the Queen had just died. We all knew it was coming, just not today.

So Charlie lowered the flag.

Have you tried Flitz for polishing? If you start with the spray bottle of brass tarnish remover and finish with the polish you can avoid using all the abrasives. It really works fast and effectively.

Flitz is great stuff.

However, we need to get down to a surface that Flitz will work on. Right now we have a decade of tarnish that Flitz won't touch, or at least not with the amount of elbow grease I can come up with.

As well as Flitz there are other products that appear to be the same chemical make up.

The product I am using is the same color, texture, and smell as Flitz. It preforms like Flitz in that the polishing pad turns black as the chemical does its job.

McMaster Carr is a great online hardware outlet. I order it today and I get it tomorrow.

They have a ton of stuff, but not usually listed by brand name.

The sanding belts I have been using came from there.

Here is the "Flitz" I am using on Fire Fighter.

https://www.mcmaster.com/15535K22/

If the part is ready to go, Flitz will polish it to another level.

Thanks for your input.

September 15, 2022

A few weeks ago, a visitor stood the barrel of this monitor straight up and left it. Who ever the tour guide was, didn't see it happening. One of our summer interns (If that's the correct term) tried to lower it back down. But turning the handle the wrong way allowed the worm screw to run out of engaged teeth and it fell down backwards.

This could easily have been a deadly situation as it fell so hard that the barrel bent the shaft that the handle is mounted on. The intern was standing there turning the same wheel.

Nobody got hurt, but the bent shaft messed up the operation so it took a whole lot of strength to turn the wheel. This was the one monitor we used for taking photos of visiting kids "working" a monitor. It worked easily.

So after some thought we decided to just try to bend it back. If it broke, I could easily make a new shaft.

With two of us hanging on the end of this rig, the shaft would rotate away from where we wanted it. This could make the bend worse.

To prevent it from turning I put a pipe wrench on it. To prevent the wrench from falling off, I secured it to the frame with a line.

Then it two of us bouncing of the end to get it to move.

It was hard, but worked better that I hoped.

There were a few more bent shafts, but they were smaller and easier to bend.

A school group was learning how to take a sounding. Not that you could tell from this picture.

I think it would be more interesting for them to toss the harpoon as others of done in recent weeks.

On the way to lunch, Florence rigging is attended to. It looked like she was painting the line over her head.

Kalmar Nycklel is back in the water.

We tried to go on board, but no dice. It's their policy that no one is welcome on board except for certain times and situations.

So, this is all I have.

Shoot, they're welcome on my boat any time.

So, back to Fire Fighter.

When we got back, the Coast Guard cadets had arrived.

Charlie put them to work on the monitors again.

Lance came back again.

I think he said he's a sophomore at the academy. He wants to pursue engineering.

When I got back, I started doing tours.

Right now, we are limited to twelve visitors at a time. This keeps me very busy so there is hardly time to pick up my camera. We try to keep the tours to 45 minutes, but there is so much information, I have to just hit the highlights.

Such as, if you take the average twenty by forty foot in ground swimming pool, Fire Fighter could fill it up in just over a minute.

Took me four days.

That's a lot of water.

Last edited by Morgan Volunteer; 09-23-2022 at 08:08 AM.

September 22, 2022

The other fire boat has been hauled out. It's been here for a long time and finally something is going to be done.

No one seems to know what its name is. There is no name on her.

I believe she will become an oyster bar in New York City, but this is not official .

She sure does smell. On the out side, that is. She smells like the finest low tide to be found. It will be better when she gets power washed. The yard was setting up for that when I walked in, but the day was scheduled to be a very stormy one, so I imagine that will happen another day.

As a fire boat, water goes in here.

The water is screened before going in.

The man on the right above is not a surveyor, but he is looking at the hull to check how sound it is. He's looking for bad spots and then will measure the hull thickness. So far, so good.

They look like variable pitch props. But they were so full of critters and gunk, I couldn't tell. But the pitch looks very flat at this time.

The yard has a new system for keeping track of materials used on customer boats in the yard. Each shipwright has a code number to enter and a job number so each customer can be billed correctly.

Those $1.00 paint brushes add up. Blue tape is not cheap.

Work on Catherine Wedmore has begun.

According to the shipwright I spoke with, this and one other area are the only places that need any rebuilding. It shows that over the last, almost 100 years as an oyster boat, she was well cared for.

Nate is back from his summer place in Maine.

He's installing a fuel tank on his engine.

After coffee break he's going up to the mill to see if he can find another blow torch to replace the one on the left that doesn't work. The blow torches heat up the bulb to ignite the fuel when starting the engine. Once running, the combustion fire keeps the bulbs hot and the torches can be shut off.

On Fire Fighter, we were first on board so Jake turned on the lights. A very simple process once you know where to plug the lights in. Since the boat was built around DC circuitry and we only have AC shore power, for now extension cords and drop lights are what we use.

One of my first jobs was installing AC lights in the bunk room and on the bridge.

But the day became stormy as predicted. So, we worked in the engine room, painting.

How about we paint the pumps?

Good idea.

So we picked on and went to work.

Jake is dusting off stuff.

It turns out, these pumps are bronze. We actually talked for about 30 seconds about shinning them up instead of painting.

30 seconds? Maybe it was 10 seconds.

Can you imagine how much work that would be?

Paint it and we're done. Polish it and we're never done. Ever!

So on to painting.

You can't see it here, but he's painting the under side of the pump located on the port side.

I took the other side.

It's not very pretty down there under the pumps and plumbing.

This is not an area that we can realistically get to. It's going to take a major overhaul to fix this.

Time and money?

No, money comes first.

Got a few mil you would like to donate?

We painted most of the pump. We ran out of paint and left the first stage of the pump for another time.

The time was an hour before quitting time, but we decides to call it a day.

The paint is a two part mix. Six parts paint and one part hardener.

If we mixed up another batch we could easily finish this pump, but would have way to much unused paint that would be wasted. The mixing cans we had on hand did not lend themselves to mixing smaller batches.

And I have no idea how expensive the paint is. So we use caution.

Tomorrow is the annual antique cars show. (Saturday)

https://www.mysticseaport.org/events/antique-vehicle-show-by-land-and-by-sea/

September 24, 2022

I drove out to Mystic on Saturday for the 25th Annual Antique Auto Show. My intention was to just take a few pictures of the cars, stop by and say hello to Charlie and Wayne and go home.

Yeah, right.

When I arrived, I went aboard Fire Fighter and opened her up for the day.

Antique cars were still coming in so I held off walking around until later.

In the mean time I got Shanghaied into doing tours.

Between Charlie, Wayne, and myself, I hardly had time to sit. There were a lot of people!

I started off with just this man and his son before we were officially open. They had two cars that they were exhibiting.

This is Dad on Fire Fighter.

At least I think this is Dad. Maybe it's Jr.

Anyway, the tours started and we were very busy.

Wayne had a small group at the engineering station.

There were a lot of beautiful cars.

I did have a bit of a problem though. I was working so hard on Fire Fighter, I hardly had time to walk around and look at the cars. By the time I got to looking at cars, some had already gone home.

So this is a fast walk through.

Some were more beautiful that others. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I love this survivor.

Attached Images Attached Images

Completer with a camper.

Now I have jumped ahead of myself here. Back on Fire Fighter we had a special event.

Question Re: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Recognize this boat?

Know what it's name is?

It's the same as our boat.

The Love Boat!

Charlie received a call that someone was going to propose on the upper deck of Fire Fighter after the 2:00pm tour.

As we finished lunch at 2:00, we walked back to "love Boat" and found a group of about 30 or more people. Tours are limited to 15, so we divided them into two groups. Charlie took one group forward and Wayne and I took the other group aft. As charlie moved through, we followed.

By the time we got into the bunk room it was obvious that Wayne and I had too big a group.

So Wayne took half and I took the other.

Now, none of us ever met the bride groom to be, so no one knew which group he was in.

During a normal tour, the last stop is up on the top deck where most of the monitors are located. So, finally I took my group up top.

As they were looking at the monitors up there I heard Charlie call me and ask if I had anything had happened yet.

Nope, not yet.

As I turned around, one visitor was tying his shoe.

Gotta be it.

So I got ready.

I looked at the ring and told her, "He's a keeper."

Then I told her we do weddings too.

Ain't love grand!

September 29, 2022

I walked through the paint shop to find a few new items in there.

These are from a very famous yacht that will be coming soon for some work.

Just from the size alone, you can see that this is from something very special.

So I asked.

Coronet is coming.

I borrowed this picture from Rutherford's Boat shop website.

http://rutherfordboats.com/slideshow-16/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronet_(yacht)

Also in the shop are two boats the will be back in the small boats fleet where you can takes a small boat out for trip out on the river.

Next year, you should be able to take one of these out from the Boathouse where they will be in the water waiting for you.

Out in the yard, the other fire boat has had her bottom painted and zincs are going on.

He is grinding the steel tabs for better conductivity, I think.

As fall approaches, the crowds start to thin out at the seaport. Last Saturday was an exception due to the annual car show.

So, Jake and I started painting the Fire Fighters pumps until just after lunch when I took over giving tours on board Fire Fighter.

As I said, the crowds are thinning. On this tour I had one visitor.

I have to say, the smaller number of visitors makes the tour much more interesting for me.

October 6, 2022

I arrived this morning to find the "other fire boat" on the ship lift.

I'm not sure why she was still sitting on the lift only partially afloat, but after a short while the crew lowered her some more and pulled her over to her slip.

I finally found out the name of this boat. It is, or was, Governor Alfred E. Smith.

In the restoration barn, the Morgan's windless is on the lathe now.

The repair was hardly done just in time.

It was usable in 2014 during the 38th voyage, but since then it has not been used and it was always sitting with one side up that collected rain water.

In the machine shop Scott has retrieved the two engines that came along with the Century Coronado that I delivered for a friend as a donation.

This was where the red engine had sat for years.

Well, nothing good can be said about leaving an engine outside, even if it's covered.

Scott was hoping to use it as a short block and put all the marine accessories on it from the original (blue) engine.

Bur water got in and this is not a simple job any more.

Over on Fire Fighter, Jake and I painted the pumps again.

The inboard pumps have name plaques attached.

Jake polished to port side plaque and I put on a coat of two part clear coat.

Starboard side, before.

Ports side after.

It's better than it looks here. The A and L, and pump below are have dark reflection showing.

Jake got the whole thing to a mirror finish.

Thanks so much for this thread. As someone with very limited experience, it's really interesting to see all the photos which helps me get an idea of all the work involved.

I've been looking into some Fire Fighter history.

In 1942, The French Ocean liner, Normandy was in New York when the Nazi's invaded France. Our government seized her to prevent the ship from going back to France and into the hands of the Nazis.

Renamed Lafayette, she was being refitted as a troop carrier when she caught fire.

Fire Fighter was there pumping so much water on her that she capsized at the dock.

Before.

After.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdCXDkF0LfA

Lukenbach Steamship Co. 35th St. Pier Fire

The so-called "Miracle on 35th Street", the fire at the Lukenbach Steamship Co's 35th Street Pier was one of the final, and worst, major pier fires in New York City. Started by unknown causes, the fire quickly grew out of control and within minutes much of the pier house was heavily involved.

Going almost immediately to two alarms, the response brought Fire Fighter from her nearby post at the Bush Terminal to the scene where she tied up alongside the burning structure and began to work the fire. Ordered to pull up by three lengths by the scene commander, Fire Fighter and the rest of the FDNY crews on scene were rocked by a massive explosion at the exact spot where she had previously been. The blast sent a shrapnel-filled shock wave through the immediate area, killing 10 civilians and injuring 250 more in addition to blowing out every window in a 3-block radius. Fire Fighter herself took heavy damage, but remained operational and on scene as two Borough Calls were transmitted to fight the pier fire and numerous others now burning in the immediate area.

The articles below shows where Fire Fighter had been just before the explosion and a detailed account of the entire operation.

http://marine1fdny.com/miracle_35th_new.php

This is the fire when Fire Fighter was awarded the Most Gallant Ship Award.

https://americasfireboat.org/finest-...esso-brussels/

What is this award?

https://www.maritime.dot.gov/history...at-firefighter

All in a days work!

October 13, 2022

A slow day.

I got a call from Charlie asking me to meet him at the local Lowe's to help pick up some wood. He wants to build some panels on which he can display some of Fire Fighters photographs.

Since I have the truck, I got to haul the lumber to the seaport.

It was a rainy day, so all we did was get the wood under cover for another day.

It's mid October and it was a rainy day. Not too many visitors, so there were no tours to lead.

We did keep busy.

We continued painting Fire Fighter's 5,000 gallons per minute water pumps.

Getting started.

This is a before picture.

This is not done, but close.

Bill took off the name plates from the motors to polish them at home.

These two are the "before" and perhaps next week we'll have the "after" when he has them looking great again.

Painting them a light color brightens up the whole area.

Out side, Amistad is back for a winter layover.

https://www.discoveringamistad.org/our-story-1

Roseway is tied up along side of Fire Fighter.

She will be going into the yard for some work, but for now she is waiting along side of us.

https://www.worldoceanschool.org/about-roseway

This weekend is the opening of The
    Sargent, Whistler, & Venetian Glass: American Artists and the Magic of Murano exhibit.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/exhibi...enetian-glass/

It is also the weekend celebrating the downtown Mystic drawbridge's 100th anniversary with fire works just up the river from the seaport.

https://thisismystic.com/event/mysti...s-celebration/

The seaport also has gondolas coming so you can have a ride.

Click on the event for details.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/calendar/

They arrived on Thursday.

If you can't make it here this weekend, you can also get a ride in Providence, Rhode Island.

My wife and I, Wayne and his wife, and Rob (lead shipwright on the Morgan rebuild.) and his wife, did the gondola tour a few years ago.

We had a great time. We had a mandolin player/
    singer entertaining us as we slowly made our way up the Providence River.

https://www.gondolari.com/

October 20, 2022

That time of the year, the leaves are falling.

For me, at this time in my life, I hire someone to rake my leaves.

This is just the beginning. There are no bare trees yet anywhere, so there's a long way to go.

As winter approaches, Amistad is home. The ice and snow will come. For now, the crew is giving tours.

In the ship yard, star's rebuild is done and she will be launched very soon.

Star is sitting to one side of the ship lift because another boat is coming out at the same time. Which one? We'll see.

On Catherine, work is progressing, slowly.

I guess you could call this the results of the survey. What stays and what gets replaced.

Each tag has an instruction.

This is a working boat with almost 100 years of oystering.

After almost 100 years, someone must have been doing something right.

There's an engine in there somewhere.

What kind of engine? The tach has a Caterpillar logo on it.

Now into the machine shop where Nate is almost done with his 1899, Meitz & Weiss engine.

He said he got a couple of smoke rings out of it so far, but it actually hasn't run yet.

He installed a starter motor. OEM? I think so.

He built the bracket for it.

I asked him to call me when he got it started so I could film it.

Film it? What's film Daddy?

At lunch I asked him how it was going.

He said it ran for about three seconds and the timing chain broke.

The timing chain drives the injectors.

But the 1899 chain is no longer in stock. He was looking on line.

So for now? Later on this.

Here's the chain.

He has another concern. The right hand cylinder is weeping oil from the water jacket. Crack? Bad head gasket? More on that later too.

Always an adventure, ain't it?

Now on to Fire Fighter.

Jim was at a fire department meeting and was telling the crew about Fire Fighter.

The Chesterfield Fire Company has just upgraded all their radios.

So Fire Fighter got a donation of their old ones. They even came with some head sets so it will work in the engine room when it's noisy down there.

This is all I found on line about Chesterfield Fire.

https://www.facebook.com/ChesterfieldFirePIO/

I didn't take a picture of the radios because the dog had my attention.

Betty is a super friendly dog.

Usually the vests indicate a service dog and they are not to be distracted from their duties, but Betty is up for being petted.

Our job on Fire Fighter today was to build four panels so we can post pictures of Fire Fighter on duty.

Here, we are setting a 4x8 plywood panel to see how it will fit.

This is in the "gift shop" where we have tees and hats for sale.

https://americasfireboat.org/support/museum-store-2/

Behind the panel is the muffler for the port engine.

So, Jake and I started sawing and screwing.

We routed out a slot on some 2x2 pieces to make a "Picture frame" around the panel.

We're not done yet. We were able to get two made and while I was giving tours, Jake continued on. He found the second panel we built was too tall so next week we'll modify it to fit.

There will be four panels in all with piano hinges holding them together. Well, sort of. More on that is coming as we think how to proceed.

The joints will sit on the deck and the top is over head out of sight, so we didn't do nice joinery on this. Not that I even have the skills for that.

Next week is Halloween and the seaport s pulling out all the stops with displays and pumpkin carving and tours. Fire Fighter will be open for tours every night. I live an hour away, so I can't help with Charlie's call for volunteers.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/halloween-happenings/

October 27, 2022

Fall is here.

And the seaport is celebrating.

It turns out there is a pattern to all these pumpkins.

Fire Fighter was involved too with tours and decorations.

Jake and I worked on Fire Fighter's new display panels, but for that I never picked up the camera. Look at last weeks post and it's the same as this week.

In the afternoon music was coming from Amistad located right next door. It was African music. It was a beat I couldn't stop moving with.

So I walked next door to see what was going on.

I found out that is was a celebration for Bill Pinkney who was the first captain on the replica schooner Amistad when she was built at Mystic Seaport.

https://www.theday.com/local-news/20...ooner-amistad/

Lastly for today, I saw an bald eagle across the river. They are around, but I have not seen one in Mystic before. I was lucky to have been able to capture his image as he was really far off when I took this.

November 3, 2022

Nate is trying to rebuild the timing chain on the engine he is rebuilding. He had about two seconds of running on the first start when the 100 plus year old chain broke.

He as made new pins and he is deburring them in the drill press.

It's a complicated chain. Around each pin are two other pieces that form the diameter inside the holes on the links.

This picture is a combination of good and broken parts. This is too complicated to explain without better pictures. I'll try again next week.

In the DuPont barn, Nellie is in for a restoration.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/explor...-oyster-sloop/

Morgan's windlass has made some progress. A month ago this was all on the lathe being turned.

The black shaft goes through the center and has bearings on each end.

Catherine Wedmore's progress seems slow. Covid seems to have wiped out most of the shipwrights. Not literally, of course, but the are very few now. Or so it seems to me.

On Catherine there is a new template, but no one was around. It goes slowly.

I found Ann in the paint shop.

Between the visitor's south entrance and the shipyard is an area where raw lumber and logs had been stored. This now is where LA Dunton will be restored.

Pilings are being driven in where a pad will be poured. This ancient foundation method is centuries old. All the building in Venice sit on wooden pilings. Without oxygen they will also last for centuries.

On board Fire Fighter, Jake and I started painting the panels we built last week.

And continued with polishing some brass.

Back where it goes.

I quickly went through the new exhibit in the Thompson Exhibition building.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/exhibi...enetian-glass/

It's called,
    Sargent, Whistler, & Venetian Glass: American Artists and the Magic of Murano.

Sadly, I have been so busy with Fire Fighter I couldn't make time to go through it properly.

Sadly? Not too sadly. I do love working on boats.

But the show.

There is a lot of beautiful things to see.

Art for the sake of art.

This thing looks so delicate, I can't imagine even using it. Dish washer? Yeah, right.

Note how each piece is strapped down.

The paintings.

This is glass.

Hundreds of individual pieces of glass with different colors and hues all come together to make this picture.