Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27677677
Results 2,661 to 2,691 of 2691

Thread: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Default Re: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

I've got to thank you for the fantastic photo/commentary journey you've taken us through with the restoration of this ships.

What's next in store for the shipyard? Anything coming up?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

September 10, 2019

There is talk of LA Dunton being restored next, but until a date is set,
    we'll have to wait for an announcement. Gerda II is another candidate for restoration as well.

Below is from the seaport website.

Mystic Seaport Museum has been named the recipient of a 2018 National Maritime Heritage Grant. The $103,703 award will fund the survey and documentation of the fishing schooner L.A. Dunton in preparation for restoration at the Museumís Henry B. duPont Preservation Shipyard.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locations/l-a-dunton/

This is an earlier photo from the seaport

September 12, 2019

After the launch on Saturday, it was back to the usual yesterday. I cleaned out the bilge on the older wooden Garvey and Wayne and Anne sanded the Mayflower's foremast prior to another coat of varnish.

My job, cleaning.

Looks boring? Well, a bit. But since I do this for fun, it's not too bad.

It doesn't look too bad, but I took out at least 25 pounds of "stuff."

She's getting a new engine so this is the mock-up to get the engine mounts ready.

Wayne and Anne worked on the fore mast.

There is still a lot to do.

I have no idea what he's making but he was so intent I decided not to ask.

Just another part of many to go.

The "crow's nest" need some more paint so now it's time.

The engine show was just before Mayflower's launch so putting the toys away was delayed. Yesterday a lot of the engines went back into storage, including the Kahlenberg semi-diesel.

Everyone needs a forklift.

Meanwhile, more Mayflower parts.

Mayflower as she is now.

Note the templates for knees above.

It will be fun to see how far down she goes from here as more ballast and the rigging goes on board.

September 19, 2019

There is a bunch of stuff I haven't posted due to time constraints and other duties in my life. One of these was the arrival of a visitor from Greenport, Long Island.

Fire Fighter is a retired New York City fire boat and is 80 years old.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/event/...boats-of-9-11/

The crew is very open about letting us look around, even places such as the engine room.

These are V-16 engines.

She is diesel electric and these are the motors that turn the props.

Here's Wayne to give the size perspective.

Yesterday she was supposed to go home but one of the engines was balky. There seems to be an extensive warm up time. One engine ran fine, but the other would shut down soon after starting.

I'm guessing they kept the engines heated so when the call came, they could be underway was almost immediately. She made the call on February 9, 1942 and September 11, 2001.

What was February 9, 1942?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...ef5c8b87_o.jpg

Fire Fighter was there.

Our gang, Wayne, Barbra, Steve, and I went aboard liberty so we could follow her down the river for a while as the was supposed to do the water display as she left.

Fire Fighter is still tied up in the back.

They have a great crew who were eager to get going and send the water up to the sky.

So we motored around waiting for the departure by following the route that Liberty normally takes for her cruises. She goes north to the Morgan and south to the bridge. This the regular trip done often during the day.

Dane, our skipper for the day.

This is another way to see the seaport. This is one of the seaport's offerings. They come from down river somewhere. Sometimes there will be several all at once. They appear to be led by a tour guide on one of the???

What do you call these things?

They are powered by 30hp motors. I would thing 3hp would be more than enough.

The we went down past the lift dock and Mayflower.

Killing time, we went back north again, but Fire Fighter was still tied up.

We weren't the only ones waiting for the show.

But it never happened. We went back and tied up. By the time I went home the crew was still working to get things sorted out.

But Wayne and I did actually do something during the day. Not too much, but it was at least a stab at being productive.

We went aboard LA Dunton to clean up the auxiliary engine on board. It appears to be a four cycle, evaporative
    cooled, single cylinder engine. Some one had started to scrape the engine cover and the paint debris was all over the engine.

September 24, 2019

Fire Fighter finally was able to get underway around 3:30 last week. I had already gone home so there are no pictures. Apparently they put on quite a show with fire hoses "blazing." Scuttlebutt is that she will be back and will spend the winter with us. We'll see.

Because Mayflower was having her masts installed on Tuesday, Wayne and I came earlier in the week.

The crane was set up when we arrived and the mizzen was first.

The activities for the day did not lend themselves to getting very close, so I played spectator.

The main mast was next.

It took a while for this to happen. All of the rigging had to be secured to the mast so it would be under control as it raised.

Each rigger had a line to move onto the mast and there were still a few more.

Meanwhile, Quentin and Captain Whit confer.

And Anne watches.

This all took a long time.

Meanwhile the capstan is close to going back aboard. At the time, it was supposed to go on after the foremast.

But there are some fishing touch ups.

This is the lower thrust bearing plate. There is a mate for it to sit on already on board.

The picture of the bearing was from a bit earlier, before he mounted it.

Meanwhile back to the masts.

Up she goes.

We had spent a very long time at this point just watching and decided to go do some actual work. Our job for the day was to scrape the top of the captain and mates cabin on LA Dunton.

Meanwhile we could keep a distant eye on Mayflower. This was about an hour after the main mast was lifted.

The flag in back is on top of the mizzen.

But, scrape paint is job one.

As you can see, LA Dunton needs a lot of TLC.

That's the bad news.

The better news is that she will be hauled out next week for a "shave and a haircut," as Quentin called it. That's a cleaning, scraping, and repaint of her bottom. Possibly some other cosmetic surgery will be done as well. But the big overhaul is coming.

This haul out will also afford the seaport to have her hull laser scanned for a detailed look at her as she is now. This will be paid for with a grant from the US Parks Service.

Add to that, other grants have allowed the seaport to purchase some of the lumber needed.

But in the meantime we need to keep up with appearances as best we can.

Then, suddenly, a new volunteer appeared. She picked up my scraper and went to work.

I told her where the volunteer office is. She may be back.

I hope so.

We met Madison, the Dunton interpreter for the day. Amazing person. She graduated with an art degree and will soon be going onto another degree in Museum studies.

Here she is reading a book about
    J.M.W. Turner.

https://shop.mysticseaport.org/conve...tercolors.html

The seaport will soon open a new exhibit with Turners paintings. (They tell me this is a really big deal)

https://www.mysticseaport.org/turner/

As Wayne and I left for the day, I stopped and took this from outside the rear gate.

Today, Mayflower became a sailboat again.

October 3, 2019

Wayne was away again. This time he was closer to home in Hartford helping the Red Cross aid the families and victims of the B-17 crash at Bradley Airport in Windsor Locks. (Hartford Airport)

We all admire his work but worry about him too. This is a tough job.

So on to better things.

Since this was the first Thursday in October, it was time for another First Thursday Lecture. Always interesting, but some are more interesting than others.

This was one of those.

The International Ice Patrol was started in 1912 as a result of the sinking of the Titanic on April 15. By November that year the first patrol boat was on duty reporting on icebergs.

Since then, when the first ice patrol started, not one ship has been lost by those ships that heeded the ice patrols warnings.

You can read a lot about it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Ice_Patrol

https://www.maritime-executive.com/a...nal-ice-patrol

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=IIPHome

What is amazing is how small this branch is.

The "Home Office" is in New London. There are only two commissioned officers and not many others. I may have heard this wrong, but the budget for this is only nine million dollars and most of this goes to keeping the airplanes in the air and on patrol. Satellites are only just starting to do the aircraft's job.

This is a well done job that they do.

The first ice patrol ship.

How many icebergs are there?

Look at this chart.

In about 1984 there were more than 2000 icebergs charted! Sometimes the were almost none, but it only takes one.

The Coast Guard monitors the Atlantic below 48 degrees latitude which is off Newfoundland.

These are the countries participating in the ice patrol.

This iceberg is huge. In the red circle is a small white dot. That dot is a 300 foot ship. The white part is the iceberg.

This last picture says a lot.

The rain held off most of the day, but it was cool and damp.

LA Dunton is "On the hard" getting her bottom cared for and a cosmetic touching up. Since she will be rebuilt "soon"(?) no extras are done at this time.

Anne, as always, was helping clean up.

However, Dunton's interpreters are still working. Here a codfish cleaning is demonstrated. This is done daily on board normally at 10:45. Now it is going on on the Dunton's dock.

I did a couple of small things, but there wasn't much to do. So Barbara and I went into the Mystic Scale Model.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locati...c-river-model/

I'm just going to show the pictures I took.

The detail is amazing.

Attached Images Attached Images

Down town where the bridge crosses the river.

From the other side.

I hope next week I can get my fingernails dirty. This was fun, but I really like working in the shipyard.

Wow! Great model work! Some photos fooled my aye before I took a second look. Fascinating, exquisite and well done=Bravo!
    Jay

October 10, 2019

The normal one hour commute to the seaport took three hours on Thursday.

Ugh!

Driving on I-95 is not my favorite thing to do, especially going through New Haven at 4:00 on the way home. But this time there was an accident in Saybrook. It was on top of the Connecticut River Bridge during the morning rush. Since this is the only bridge for several miles, it's the only way to get across the river.

So, I grin and bear it.

I call it stop and park traffic. Since it was a four mile back up that took two hours, it was mostly park.

Arriving at the seaport just before 11:00 really messed up my day.

I found Nate helping Dean turn this good sized piece of wood on the lathe.

This part has been done here before. It is an axle shaft (I think) for a waterwheel at the Saugus Iron Works in Saugus, Massachusetts.

https://www.nps.gov/sair/index.htm

The drive is from the other end. The square plate is lagged to the end of the log and the "center" is bolted to the square plate but not tightened down to it. The set up floats on the bolt diameters.

After lunch, not much had been turned yet. One turn of the wheel feeds in 1/4" on the diameter.

The first thing I was able to accomplish was to go to lunch.

I talked with Wayne and he is home again after taking care of the families and survivors of the B-17 crash at Bradley Airport. However since he is more managerial now than in years past, he needs to file reports on everything. This part is taking days to get done. He took some time off to do lunch with me and Nate.

Since my day was messed up, I decided to take a look at the J. M. W. Turner art show in the Thompson Exhibition Building and forget about doing anything else.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/turner/

Not being a student of the arts and having a mechanical engineering degree this is a bit of a mystery to me.

This is supposed to be a really big deal!

So I took a look.

It looks much like any art museum you may have seen.

Pictures on the wall and places to sit and look.

I didn't spend any time reading about him or what ever is displayed in this show. I'll take time to do another tour later.

What I did do was do a brief walk through. Later I contacted a cousin who, as an art history major in college, knew all about Mr Turner.

She wrote,

How cool that Mystic is having the Turner show. Turner had supporters in his time but wasn't much liked by most of his contemporaries. Indeed his work was new and different. Sort of a precursor to Impressionism with emphasis on light and atmosphere. His "Burning of the Houses of Parliament" is particularly stunning.

You can find a movie about Turner on You Tube.

He wasn't a great family man. Just lived for his art.

So I took a look at YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEL3w9r5WOc

This is just one of many references there.

This painting is closer to home for me.

But, where's the whale?

Some of this is very old.

I'm hoping my cousin can come and visit and explain this all to me.

Oh well, next week I can scrape some paint. This is what we do.

After this I went home.

October 17, 2019

This week was better than last week. It only took the normal one hour of commuting time to get to the seaport instead of three hours it took last week.

But, it was windy. It was really too windy to do our job of scraping paint, so we scraped putty instead. Wayne did the glazing while I cleaned off the old putty on the paint shop windows.

Not very fulfilling, but it was better than nothing.

The shed Wayne is working on normally sits out near the lift dock and has all sorts of things stored in it. It was in need of paint and a new floor so all that stuff has been done. The glazing was the last thing needed.

It was moved to this location near the paint shop because it was in the way during the Mayflower launch. It's amazing what you can pick up with a 15,000 pond forklift. Handy thing to have around.

The wind was coming through so hard Wayne was afraid he'd be knocked off his perch.

On to my window.

Meanwhile the paint crew had finished touching up one of the demonstration whale boats and it was time to swap it out with two demonstration dories.

Next in line for a "shave and a haircut."

These dories get a lot of use during the summer. The need attention like any other boat.

Also, right where we were working, Cinder was there too.

I mentioned it was windy.

It was so windy that Cinder blew right off the top of Sabino during the night. Yes, she was secured, but not enough as it turned out.

She is okay, but was found over near where Brilliant is berthed. She was upside down.

Now she'll get her "shave and a haircut" too.

This is where she's supposed to be.

Up there, on top.

Yes it was windy.

The damage was minimal.

I wish I could say the same thing about my tree at home.

Oh well.

October 24, 2019

The signs of winter coming are all over the place.

As Wayne and I drove in the back gate I noticed and event going on that happens in the fall. Brilliant's masts were being removed. They will most likely go across the street into the mill building for storage and then varnishing in the spring.

Also, note the fall color across the river.

Winter is coming.

I have no idea what a crane and operator costs, but I can imagine "it ain't cheap."

We performed a few different jobs this day.

We went aboard LA Dunton and rescued the blankets and mattress's from her bunks. With all the leaks and damp air, they all needed drying out.

So we hauled them topside and put them out in the sun.

Later in the afternoon we bagged them up and stowed them below.

It was a beautiful sunny and dry day. Perfect for doing laundry.

There were some clothes too. They looked like vintage clothing. They were probably replicas of vintage clothing.

The bluejeans had no zipper or buttons on the front where the fly should be. There was no fly either. There were buttons to fasten suspenders to hold them up, but no belt loops.

Wandering off topic here a bit, I remember using buttons on my pants as a child and I have wondered if the zipper came along about that time. This would have been in the mid 1940's

Well, sort of.

https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-the-zipper-4066245

So we stowed the mattresses and clothing below in plastic bags but left the ends open so the fabric could breathe.

The refreshing of the hull is mostly done.

One leak was found and rather than putting a large and expensive effort into repairing it, a patch now covers it. Since the entire hull will be rebuilt soon and the boat never leaves the dock this is a good way to hold it for now.

Roofing tar and a lead cover will hold it well.

On the stern, some of the seam compound I thickened up last year was applied over the caulking. The seam compound you buy now is too thin for covering the seams on wooden hulls. Wooden Boat Magazine readers aside, there just aren't enough wooden boats any more to justify the expense of manufacturing the original thicker product.

As of this writing, she is slated to go back in the water on Monday.

The next time she comes out, she will be rebuilt. (Or at least we all hope so. There is no official date for that yet.)

Meanwhile, Anne if finishing up the shed we worked on last week.

Wayne and I worked inside on two dories.

The one on the left is used for demonstrations and spends the summer in the water. Note the bottom paint.

The boat Wayne is leaning on is the one that is on board LA Dunton. It is there as a display to show how these boats were rigged for fishing. It never goes in the water.

The "Pilots" painted the outside over the last weekend and primed the inside.

Pilots Program is a program where you get to do what we volunteers do and get fed a couple of great meals to boot. It gets you involved with helpful projects over the weekend when most people have free time to do it. People come from all over to be involved.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/join/communities/pilots/

So, anyway, the dories were ready for us to continue on.

Rod showed up to help too.

Time for lunch.

The area between the green, galley, and visitors center was flooding during the higher tide times and the wind was in the right direction. So the seaport is raising the area by a foot. Global warming? Sure.

Here's another sign of winter coming.

School groups.

Lots of them.

This happens in the spring too.

October 31, 2019

The weather was a bit off but most of our work was inside. The really bad weather came later at night. This morning there were several schools closed due to trees down from the wind. But for us, we were good.

Starting out in the engine shop, there is a new (100 years old) engine for Nate to play with. It's Fairbanks Morse, one cylinder, hit or miss engine.

It was a donation and while not a marine engine, seaports used engines like this so it may find a home in the museum. If not, it may be for sale at some time. More later.

Checking the spark plug and then using a fancy tool to re-tighten it.

It is a dual fuel engine. It starts on gasoline and once running it is switched over to kerosene. Back in the day, kerosene was much more common and probably less expensive.

I have no idea what the compression ration is, but it's not much. So kerosene works fine. 4 to 1 would not surprise me. Or even less. When it was shutting down, the flywheels had it coasting down for a long time before it stopped altogether.

Built into the carburetor is a small gasoline tank and the kerosene is below under the engine.

It started right up.

Our task for the day was aboard Mayflower.

During construction wood chips and saw dust were always falling down below. Our job was to clean it up.

It was not obvious what we had to do. The ship is very tidy until you look into the small places. There isn't very much, but it will eventually wash down into the bilge and after a while it might clog the bilge pumps. Add to that, the wet debris will help deteriorate the hull in hidden places. Might take 25 years, but still it's better off clean.

So, vacuum in hand we crawled into tight places.

This is the stern and there is no place to get good footing. Ugh!

This is where I went to work. It looks like it's clean, it's not.

We were working just aft of the mechanical room.

This is where the generator and all the pumps are.

I show the door because someone made a very nice door latch out of stainless steel.

Now with the door open you can see the generator.

Mayflower got the full treatment, just as the Morgan did. You know the Coast Guard is looking out for our safety when you see all this stuff and the level of sophistication. I don't think Apollo II had this much. It's amazing how far we've come in fifty years. I don't even know what this stuff is.

There are seven 8-D batteries. I only have two batteries on my boat and I am running two engines and a generator.

These are the fire/wash down pumps. And the rest of the 8-Ds.

So, friends, my wife and I are off on another cruise. She found a pretty good deal. For about $2,000 we will be out for ten days and this includes going into the Panama Canal. We have done the canal before and it's always interesting.

So, I'll be away for a couple of weeks.

Wayne and his wife Leslie, my wife Carolyn and me on our last cruise. Wayne's not going this time.

Damn, I'm going to miss scraping paint.

Attached Images Attached Images

Enjoy the cruise!!!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Just watching a documentary about the Mayflower, featuring this restoration of Mayflower II.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.