Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23637273
Results 2,521 to 2,534 of 2534

Thread: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Default Re: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Wonderful thread , please continue !

I visited the Morgan today in person. The experience was enriched by having followed this thread and I wanted to thank you for doing it.
    My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/

December 13, 2018

We started off in the break room where the weekly shipyard staff meeting was going on. Normally we don't go, but we are always welcome. On this day, we arrived in time to see a grab bag drawing. A donation of garage full of tools was made so each shipwright put their name in the bucket and waited for their name to be called.

We arrived too late to see if there was any really good stuff, but everyone seemed happy.

After break we got Dylan to bring a forklift over to my truck where I had four steel plates that I have donated. These will be used on Sabino in the engine room floor.

One of my customers has CNC milling and I had him make a diamond pattern for a nonskid surface. Regular diamond plate will not work because the points snag the shovel when they clean up the deck. This pattern was milled in using a bull nosed end mill. That is an end mill that has a radius on the outside corners. Sort of a U shape. We hope that the radius will allow dirt to be swept up without building up in the 90 degree corners.

But Sabino isn't ready so we stacked it away.

My customer loads me up.

\

And Dylan unloads me.

He's driving the truck, you can't see him.

I estimate that each plate weighs 100 pounds.

Members of the museum receive a magazine periodically. In the most recent issue there is an article about LA Dunton. I have scanned it so you can read it. I have enlarged it to read after this full page print.

The important thing to read is this.

We don't all have this sort wood growing out in the back, but with luck, some of you will.

So if you do, and would like to sell it or donate it, call the seaport's main number. Quentin Snediker is away, but explain why you are calling and someone will be able to help you.

203-572-0711

Then when you come to the seaport with Junior, you can tell him "That's our wood in that boat!"

December 18, 2018

6 days till Christmas Eve.

Do you have children in your family who are still in awe of the joy and generosity of the Jolly Old Elf?

Then, read this and wait for Christmas Eve.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Volunteer View Post

The important thing to read is this.

We don't all have this sort wood growing out in the back, but with luck, some of you will.

So if you do, and would like to sell it or donate it, call the seaport's main number. Quentin Snediker is away, but explain why you are calling and someone will be able to help you.

203-572-0711

Then when you come to the seaport with Junior, you can tell him "That's our wood in that boat!"

I passed along the call for timber to a forester friend from Maine who cruises timber all over new england. If anyone knows someone who might be looking to get rid of some of the stuff described in your post it would be this guy.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..."

December 21, 2018

Riversailor92, thanks for your help.

I can only imagine the wonder of the 17th and 18th century boat builder who came here from Europe where most old growth forests were gone. Seeing all the huge and straight trees for timbers and masts must have been a wonderful sight.

Now, we are struggling too.

So, boys and girls, it's that magical time of the year when gifts appear from a mysterious man in a red suit.

I wonder how he does it.

Is he real?

This is a video from the Ocean House in Rhode Island.

If you want absolutely first class accommodations when you come to see us at Mystic Seaport Museum, this is the place. It's only 26 minutes away.

Pricey? Well, it's probably worth it.

https://www.oceanhouseri.com/

I'm not pitching anything here except to get you to come visit Mystic Seaport Museum. I was in the Ocean House for dinner only once years ago. This was before they tore it down and rebuilt it. It was not salvageable as it was and they tore it down and started over.

December 27, 2018

Not too much is going on over the holidays, but some of the shipwrights are still hard at it.

The last time I saw the Mayflower II's mainmast it was just starting to take shape.

Now it has been turned and finishing work has started.

A long part like this needs a steady rest to support it in the center.

I invited my friend Bill out for the day to see the Mayflower II.

Hard hats a required any time you go on or under the boat.

I took bill all the way down to see the "Basement."

The shipwrights are installing decking space about a half inch apart.

Now, up one deck, you get a better look.

Walt is getting ready to install one of the interior planks that he is steaming right on board.

This is the plank in the simple steamer.

This plank will go down just to the left. See the clamps already in place on the frames waiting for the plank. It's not easy to make out.

Bill emerges from the decks below.

Bill was supposed to bring his son with him but it didn't work out, so perhaps next time, Bill.

It was a short day for all of us, so we took off for a half hour lunch. (Make that a 1 1/2 hour lunch.) It was a short day so we went home from there.

Wayne is waiting to see if he has to go to California to help out the "Camp Fire" victims, many of whom are still living in tents.

January 3, 2019

It was a quiet day in the paint shop. Wayne was busy elsewhere and no one has seen Anne for three weeks. Her car broke down, but..... Anyway, she's fine except for she's missing.

So I started on a new project. There are a few dories that are used daily at the seaport so freshening up is in order.

Scrape off only what's loose.

Funny, they don't look this big in person.

A different Anne helped out. Like our other Anne, I couldn't get her to take her nose out of the job.

The boat is sound. There is nothing other than a coat of paint required.

There is also a whale boat getting a make over.

This is one of the whale boats donated during the Morgan restoration. It too is also used in demonstrations.

This is an engine stand for one of Scott's babies.

No one seems to know what engine will go on it. More later.

In the barn, the Mayflower II mast turning looks complete.

Some assembly will be required. I'm guessing with new parts, not this one.

That's it for this week.

January 10, 2019

Nate wasn't around today, but he now has an exhaust system on the Kahlenberg engine.

The dory from last week has now been joined by a second one. There are three in all.

And this is another whale boat in for sprucing up.

Susan worked on the whale boat.

Rod is putting on another coat of varnish on this display board.

Since last week, someone has primed the first dory. We did nothing on it today.

Wayne and I picked up Barbara and we drove over to Westerly, Rhode Island for lunch.

We went to a shop where Rob is working now.

Rob was the lead shipwright on the Morgan restoration. He moved on to other pastures, in part because the Morgan parts
    weigh tons and the parts in the new shop weigh mere pounds. None of us are getting any younger.

That's him with the suspenders and blue shirt. And hat below.

He likes his new job very much. The shop belongs to Quentin's brother. We spent about an hour in a local place (Make that joint) and talked about almost every thing.

Rob is good people.

http://snedikeryacht.com/

January 17, 2017

Anne is back. Her car problems are solved. So Wayne, Anne, and I worked in the paint shop all day on one of the dories.

They are starting to show there age, but are still in very good shape.

The other Ann worked on the dory. It's the dory I started on two weeks ago.

When a can of paint is empty, it will rest upside down on this screened box until it's dry. Any leftovers drip into the box and they dry too. Brushes and any other items wet with paint are place here to dry before being disposed of. So after three or four years, the old box was getting well used up. This is the new one.

Seaport employees receive an award of a bronze half hull with one of the seaports boats mounted on the base that Trevor is varnishing. Starting at twenty years, they get a different one every five years.

I imagine they will be done and gone by next week, so I won't have a picture of the finished award.

Susan has a job restoring the finish on Conrad's wheel.

Now all it needs is varnish.

One last picture for today.

Mayflower II's mast has a coat of some kind of finish. I'm not sure what it is, but with the laminated pieces of wood that make it up the mast, I'm guessing it will get a coat of paint to hide the seams.