Page 69 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1959686970 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,415 of 2491

Thread: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Default Re: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

On the way home I stopped in the parking lot to see a couple of logs that arrived recently.

They are red oak and came from the between the Mark Twain and the Harriet Beecher Stowe houses in Hartford, Connecticut.

They are not really very good for marine use, but they're straight and clear. I'm sure they'll be put to good use.

Just another thing to do on a visit to Connecticut and Mystic Seaport Museum!

https://marktwainhouse.org/

http://stowehousecincy.org/index.html

May 1, 2018

May 1st was the unveiling of the new look for Mystic Seaport. So there will be no doubt about it, the new logo emphasizes that we are a museum.

So from now on, we are Mystic seaport Museum.

At 9:00 the official unveiling took place. With speeches and fanfare the new sign was unveiled.

Mystic Seaport Museum President, Steve White talks with his back to the camera.

All the other signs were revealed at this time.

This is a real change from the old sign. Like it or not, there is no missing that you have arrived at Mystic Seaport Museum!

Another thing that changed yesterday was the addition of a new display in the Thompson Building. Displays are changed often so it's not the "same old" every time you come in.

In this case, a 1968 Donzi went on display. It was donated to the museum last year and now you can see it.

Yes, I know it's plastic, but it is beautifully restored to better than new.

One of our engine crew volunteers once owned this boat. Jack is usually working on Wednesday so I don't often see him. I believe he sold it to the donor who had had it restored. Then it came to the seaport.

It came through the side door loading dock and was sitting in the exhibit hall waiting for the glass doors to come off. With out the doors, there was 4" clearance. The Pingo exhibit is gone and one sign is the only trace left of that display.

The glass company had a hard time getting the door down, but finally.....

If you come in the north entrance on Tuesday, you get to meet Barbara. Officially, she is an Ask Me volunteer. She gives visitors a synopsis of where to go and what to see.

She looks happy at her job.

She brought in the flowers because it was May Day.

I am coming to the seaport by boat for the weekend of May 19/20. So yesterday I stopped by the marina registration booth to make a reservation.

Hanging on the back wall is a toy boat built by a child and sadly left behind.

Wonderful!

There wasn't anything for Wayne and me to do, so we left early.

Lastly, I would like to recommend another Wooden Boat thread. The videos of the restoration of Tally Ho are amazing.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-in-WA-(VIDEO)

May 10, 2018

Spring is here and there's work to be done.

Wayne and I took some fire hose, slit it lengthwise and installed it on a floating dock in the shipyard.

This is a new dock and while the canvas hose isn't the best as a fender, it's better than nothing at all.

Along side of us was Becca, working on Breck Marshal.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locations/breck-marshall/

One dock over, the new Garvey, Volunteer, is going on a mission.

Volunteer has a job to do. These new floating docks need to go up river.

Just before the launch of the floats, I found this boat sitting on a trailer.

Later on the way to lunch we found her next to Liberty.

There is nothing on the Mystic Seaport website about it and that's as far as I got with it. More later? I hope.

This boat was on a shipyard dock early on and all I heard was that she is a donated boat. Now she's in front of Liberty.

Pretty boat.

After lunch another plank came out of the steam box.

Every board needs to be steamed. Even a gentle bend takes a lot of effort to install.

New wood goes in, old wood comes out.

This is an old futtock on the way down.

The muscle is up top.

Up top, Greg is installing a new futtock that he made.

Twist, taper, and all odd angles make this a complicated part to make. And it's one of several on Mayflower II.

On both sides of the boat, this same piece is being trued for a scarf joint on the sheer clamp.

Plane and check.

Walt, on the other side, plane and check.

Is the Thompson building new? It's been eight years or so since I was last at the seaport.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

At the end of the day, I walked up to the Thompson Building to see what Ann had been up to all day.

Next Saturday a new exhibit will open there and Anne has been helping to set up the display.

The Vikings are coming, the Vikings are coming!!!

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locati...vikings-begin/

This display is on loan from Gustavainum Museum in Uppsala, Sweden. The museum is part of Uppsala University and is Sweden's first university. It was started in 1477. The Gustavainum museum designed and built the displays and all our gang has to do is put it together.

http://www.gustavianum.uu.se/gustavi...vikings-begin/

This video the only thing that was working yesterday. It has to do with Viking women and their magical powers.

The rest of the displays are empty right now and not completely finished.

This is a replica of a Viking funeral boat. Originals must be scarce and too fragile to display around the world.

I met Emma and she is a Seaport staff member who is also helping set it all up.

It turns out , I was there, in Sweden.

I was there and didn't know anything about the museum and the vikings so I missed it that time.

I have a distant relative buried in this church. Uncle Olaus was born in 1624 and in 1681, he became Lutheran Archbishop of Sweden.

He was my eight times, great uncle. He died in 1700.

Well, now I don't have to go back, although I would love to. It's a beautiful country.

I'm going to take a try at this. I hope it works. This is the address I have from a Google Maps showing the cathedral and the museum across the street.

This is how close I was.

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.85787...7i13312!8i6656

May 15, 2018

Nate has the Norfolk Navy Yard Engine about ready to go.

Nate has been making noise with his Engine, but he says it's not really started until it runs and you turn it off.

Well, this might have been the time to see it run except for how it stopped. No damage, it was just a bit embarrassing.

Sabino's year's supply of coal was delivered this morning. About 20 tons.

How's this for odd wear? This is one of the pins that tie the floating docks together. It's about outlived its user life.

Both Wayne and Anne were away so I scraped the old finish off Mayflower II's masts. I didn't get very far, but...

They appear to be in good shape except for the small area where some of the main mast had a problem. A Dutchman will fix the problem so a new mast is not needed. In the lower left you can see the holes drilled to check for damage.

Naturally, visitors want to get involved. It makes a boring job a lot of fun.

I met a man who is crew on a 59 foot (on deck) boat visiting the museum. As a very outgoing and enthusiastic man, while I was at lunch, he had other visitors scraping the masts.

Stedman is a crew member on this late 1970's motor sailor.

The owner, Rob, invited us aboard.

This tells about the name and builder.

The current name is Windsong.

She satisfies both words. (At least to my eyes.) Fiber glass hull and everything else is wood.

Not really ready for visitors, Rob and Stedman are repairing the heating system. Look through the light clutter, and there is a beautiful boat.

A single Ford Lehman engine pushes her along at 8 knots and about 1 1/4 gallons per hour. She holds 600 gallons of fuel. That's enough for an Atlantic crossing!

All sorts of room below.

This is Stedman. I hope I have the spelling right.

In the galley are leaded glass doors. Now that's class!

The great thing about boating is the people you meet. Rob and Stedman, thanks for your hospitality.

Responding to Rich Jones a few posts back, the Thompson Building is new, sort of. It opened in September of 2016.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/a-new-...r-exhibitions/

I had been covering its construction as it went up.

"It's been eight years or so since I was last at the seaport."

Rich, you need to come back.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

That is beautiful!
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

May 22, 2018

Wayne was deployed by the Red Cross to Texas to help the victims and families of a yet another senseless massacre. Sadly I just found this on line.

There were, on average, 16.4 such shootings a year from 2007 to 2013, compared with an average of
    6.4 shootings annually from 2000 to 2006. In the past 13 years, 486 people have been killed in such shootings, with 366 of the deaths in the past seven years. In all, the study looked at 160 shootings since 2000.

But this is the Wooden Boat Forum so on to happier things.

For me, this week was like last week. Scraping the Mayflower II masts.

This is last week, it
    might as well be this week.
    Anne helped a bit but for the most part I worked alone.

Across the yard a couple of shipwrights were working out the best use of some stock to make a couple of knees.

So, the morning was slow.

On the way to lunch I was looking for Nate who had been on board Gerda III preparing to get the engine running again.

He was not there, but I ran into Howard who was talking to a crew member from a yacht
    visiting from Denmark. Since Gerda III is a Danish boat and important in Danish history, he was telling her the Gerda III story.

Turns out that her grandmother's name is Gerda.

After lunch I walked over to see their boat.

Nice boat!

They sailed from Europe to the Caribbean, along the US east coast, and now are heading back to Denmark. There are ten on board right now.

I didn't get any more information on the boat.

Friday night I went to a a special showing of the new Viking exhibition in the new Collins Gallery in the Thompson building. At the same time the Schaefer Building is the new exhibition of the Vinland map.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locati...vikings-begin/

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locati...e-vinland-map/

Today I walked through again with Nate to have a second look and take pictures.

On the right is body armor that was worn on arms and legs.

It's hard to make out, but this is an animal head.

There's more, lots more. But moving on to the Vinland map.

They map is a mystery. It is controversial because it's authenticity is questioned. Both sides have valid reasons why it's a modern fake or an ancient map. Both sides are presented in the exhibition.

The map.

It's small and faded.

Photo Shop cleaned it up a bit. (Not very scientific.)

While the Vinland map is controversial, however, this one is the real deal from the 1500's. It's the Mediterranean.

The lands are not well outlined. Every port or coastal town is shown and they define the coast.

Just a bit lower than vertical center and about one third of the way over from the left is Spain. In the center is Italy. When you understand what you're looking at, the coast is visible.

A comic from the 60's. Columbus shows up to find the Viking's were there first.

Thanks for posting. I love the Seaport. I grew up not far away, went there for many field trips growing up. My grandfather was a wood shipbuilder before the 'glass switch on Hamburg Cove in Lyme. I need to go back there to Mystic soon.
    Last edited by NoSurf; 05-23-2018 at 03:38 PM.

May 29, 2018

Anne and I painted the bottoms of two dories and she cleaned up inside. It was a sunny day and pretty warm working in the sun.

This view makes it look bigger than it is. Anne is pretty small.

We painted almost the entire bottom but needed them to dry before turning them up the other way.

The big mast here is Mayflower II's main mast. The other is the foremast and will be replaced. (According to Anne, my main source for almost everything at the seaport.) There are some rather large checks along the length.

The mizzen has been moved into the DuPont barn, but I couldn't find out why.

Going to lunch we stopped at the pole barn and had a look at the beautiful little boat that has been restored. It was built in the 1970's by John Gardner.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locations/boat-shop/

This boat was used in a wooden boat school last summer when the upper three planks were replaced and RJ, has done the rest. The bottom was good. It had been replace 10 or 15 years ago.

Here he is laying out the new waterline.

She has a sprit rig. Gaff rig on a mast with no boom.

Work on Mayflower II continues. The bottom planking is moving along.

This is the bow.

And the stern.

Further up, in the stern, some futtocks will be retained, others not. My guess is that the futtocks with the spikes will be replaced.

In the bow, Tom is preparing the stem to receive another plank.

Below, visitors can get a close up look.

The shipwrights are not lacking for tools. There are several places with lots of them. Of course the one needed is almost never there.

In the bow, Greg is counter boring a hole so the bolt head will be buried. This is an exposed bulkhead facing forward and a plug will hide the bolt head. This is the piece he was working on installing last week.

Louie was drilling and hammering in copper rods. I'm not sure what he was riveting together.

June 5, 2018

The Wichmann semi-diesel engine is leaving the seaport collection. Museums can't usually sell from their collection, but they can donate and trade. The Wichmann will be going to another local museum in Colchester Connecticut. Trade or swap, I don't know. But something good will come from it for both museums.

http://www.zagrayfarmmuseum.org/ Zagray is a farming museum. I'll find out more about this deal.

I'm going to miss the Wichmann. When it runs, the ground shakes.

So when I arrived, the roof was off and the fence was about to be taken down.

Cutting off the stud was the only way to get this part apart. All the others had nuts that came off.

Then the forklift tried to get under it. But the tar sealing it to the bed had a grip on it so it was tough.

A seam opened up.

10,100 pounds is what the engine weighs. But there was more than that holding it down.

A little bit at a time and it came loose.

It wasn't quite free yet. One of the studs was stubborn.

But finally it was free and the lifting rig was attached.

Four head nuts were removed so eye-nuts could be added for the chain. The picture below is before the four foot pipe was added for torque. That's Nate standing on the flywheel. When the four foot pipe was added, both Nate and Dean muscled at it.

Finally it was free and up. All 10,100 pounds of it.

It was nice to have Jim supervising.

That Wickman was there for a lot of years. I think it was right there back in the late 70’s -early 80’s.

Then Anne and I got to work cleaning up. We get all the fun jobs.

The Wolverine will be going in its place. Probably next week.

Elsewhere, Gerda III is getting some cosmetic attention.

Ed, a new volunteer it think, was preparing the bright work for new varnish.

Gerda III is Howard's baby. (Howard not shown) He has written a book about what the boat did in WW-II.

This is from the seaport store.

New and Noteworthy

Henny and Her Boat: Righteousness and Resistance in Nazi Occupied Denmark
    by Howard S. Veisz –
    “Henny and Her Boat” provides a fresh perspective on the Danes’ defense of their Jewish countrymen during years of Nazi occupation and, ultimately, their heroic rescue of the Danish Jews on a fleet of fishing boats and other small craft. Leo Goldberger, a leading expert on the Danish rescue, hails the book as an “educational gem,” which describes the rescue in “riveting detail” by following one participant’s rise from youthful bystander to rescuer to armed resister. Henny Sinding, daughter of a Danish navy officer, teamed with a fledgling resistance group to save three hundred Jews on a lighthouse supply boat named Gerda III. Each night for a month Henny bravely escorted Jews from secret rendezvous points to a dockside warehouse and then slipped them past Nazi sentries into Gerda III’s cargo hold. Gerda III’s crew completed the escape—motoring daily past German warships and mines to unoccupied Sweden. The story of Gerda III — which is on display at Mystic Seaport Museum — and the people associated with it — Henny, Mix, the dashing young resistance fighter whom she loved, and many giants of the Danish resistance — epitomizes the story of a nation that rose from a humbling surrender to battle the Nazis and hand the Gestapo its most glaring defeat.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locations/bookstore/

June 7, 2018

I went out to the seaport again on Thursday this week. There was a talk given by Steve White for volunteers that I wanted to hear. I also wanted to talk with Scott and Nate about the air compressor needed to start the Wolverine engine once it's put in place. The Wolverine will go where the Wichmann engine had been. The very old compressor that used to start the Wichmann is very, very old and very tired and way too small.

I volunteered to donate an inexpensive new compressor. They only look expensive because they have a five horse motor and 80 gallon tank. But Nate said it looks like one you would buy at Walmart. And he's right, but it would be good enough because it would get such limited use.

Then Scott said he'd rather get the shop compressor repaired and that would free up the compressor now used to start the Wolverine. The head needs work and right now the shop is covered by the current Wolverine compressor so it's been sidelined.

So my "get my hands dirty job" for the afternoon was to remove the compressor off the tank.

Today I will take it to the air compressor shop locally to me.

A few years ago I brought a dinghy to the seaport to see if it was something they might like for their collection.

The story is this.

I have a cousin, who with her husband of almost 70 years, live in Western Massachusetts. (They now have since passed on.) They asked me if I wanted an old dinghy that they inherited from her father in the 1950's.

I have a small pond next to my house. I always thought a dinghy with Christmas presents and a small tree on the edge of the pond would make a pretty display for the holidays.

I drove up to their home to pick it up and then I learned its history.

My cousin's father bought the boat from General Electric in Pittsfield. The story I was told was that GE developed the fiberglass molding method for building nose cones on radar equipped planes in WW-II. After the war, in trying to decide what else to do with this new product, GE worked with the Beetle Boat Company to build experimental boats using fiberglass. According to my cousin there are still a few of them in the Pittsfield area.

I decided that this boat was probably a pretty significant piece of history and a display out in the winter snow and ice would not be a good idea. My guess is that it is one of the oldest fiberglass boats in the world as it dates to 1946 or so.

So for ten years it has hung from the ceiling in my garage with no expectations of ever using it at all.

Then I met the man who maintains the sailing fleet of Dyer Dhows used in the sailing classes.

I asked him if he could help me determine if the dinghy was sturdy enough for a small outboard and if it could be restored using the original materials. (Actually, it's in very good condition as it is.) He said advice was always free and sometimes good.

So yesterday I took the dinghy with me out to Mystic. The good advice was, yes, she can certainly handle a small motor.

Then I mentioned that perhaps Mystic Seaport might like it for the collection. So off we went to see Dana, the man in charge, (now retired) and he came out to see the dinghy.

This is a picture from that day in 2010.

He seemed excited about this find. For now, I was asked to take it home so the museum can do some research to substantiate all I have said about it. If all this is correct, it will probably be added to the collection.

Now, eight years later, it finally became part of the collection.

It's getting a face lift to make her pretty again.

Susan is redoing the bright work.

The flotation is balsa. It's under the seat above.

I look forward to taking it for a row. I think I will forego the motor.

Wayne comes back next week. He's a great guy to work with and I have missed him for almost a month.

We're going to be making Kingston pretty again. Now that looks like a big job.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locations/kingston/

June 12, 2018

With the Wooden Boat Show coming up, Anne, Wayne, and I were asked to make Kingston II pretty. (Company's coming)

I brought my own ladders.

Wayne cleaned off the deck and later we both scraped.

Kingston II was built as a training project at Electric Boat in Groton in 1937. That makes her 81 years old!

I mention this because she is old in many ways. After an extended use at Electric Boat towing and pushing where needed, (The Nautilus for one) she was donated to Mystic Seaport Museum. The seaport used her for many years pushing other boats around the docks. But some years ago, when a survey was completed, it was decided to retire her to her current location. Steel rusts. No amount of paint is going to stop that for ever. And now unless a benefactor would like to donate a million or three, she has to become a static display.

This is the way it is. Money can fix her.

Mystic Seaport Museum is an expensive place to run and maintain.

In the mean time we will keep her painted.

We finished the port side and I am hoping the starboard side will get done today. Next week, we can paint her.

Earlier in the morning I got a call from Anne who had gone back to the shipyard. As I said hello, a voice said, Carl, "This is Lionel. I read your thread. I spotted Anne and she handed me her phone."

I think he was here with a school group because when he finally stopped by, he had to watch a gang of kids waiting to cross the street. He hopes to retire in a few years and come help us scrape paint. Or perhaps do something else.

Lionel, thanks for stopping by to say hello.

Now back to Kingston II.

Here are two websites to read about her.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locations/kingston/

https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=68304

The Westerly Sun stopped by too.

This is me scrubbing the rub rail and Wayne cleaning the deck. There are 9 pictures in all. Scroll left and right.

http://www.thewesterlysun.com/News/S...html#gallery-7

Lastly, even if you live in Ethiopia, you can be a part of this with a donation. I actually chatted with a reader form Ethiopia on this thread!

It's easy to do and even $10 will help.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/support/

Kingston needs you!

June 17, 2018

It took our boat out to Mystic Seaport for Viking Days.

It was cloudy for the first hour and a half and then it became beautiful.

But the closer we got, the darker it became. I turned on the radar because I could not longer see where I was going. Compass and GPS only go so far when you're in congested waters.

But we made it.

It turned out to be a spectacular day on Saturday.

There were things to buy and barter for in true Viking tradition. (Cash still worked)

I'm not sure she was selling anything.

Lots of demonstrations.

Mead making. Honey and water and yeast. It can be as complicated as you want to make it too.

Both the modern way on the left and the traditional way on the right. On the right, the mix is honey and water and stir it with a magic stick.

Magic stick? The stick used the last time that has some yeast still on it. No magic stick? Yeast can come from other sources. Just in the air or toss in a few grapes with the white powder on them. That's yeast. Modern makers use special yeasts to improve the flavor.

Attached Images Attached Images

These two appear to be experts on early Norse boat building. They both have been in Norway learning all about it.

They had three boats in the water to help in their talk.

Each one shows the advancements made in design.

Birds of prey. Apparently Vikings hunted using falconry. All the birds show were rescued. Most were hit by cars.

This lady sang old Norse songs.

This is a Viking Wannabe. The skit was about facts or fiction. In the skit, he thought he knew everything. To start off with, there is no record of Vikings wearing horns. While I don't show it, there were four or five people on the stage. The skit debunked some of the myths Viking culture.

There were three of these horses there on Saturday.

They are Norwegian Fjord Horses. The center of the mane is dark allowing for the decorative trim.

They seem to be quite small and very gentile. But they are draft horses so the are strong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fjord_horse

A Viking beard contest. I didn't stick around to see who won.

Another mead making demonstration. This one was modern. He used a thermometer, hydrometer, and weighing scale.

It probably tasted better than the old way.

All is stuff is behind him on the ground. This is only half the crowd.

A boat building demonstration showed how to get a good plank out of a log. Done the way the Viking builders would have done it. It didn't change much over the centuries until saws were invented.

So it was a long day and Sunday was still to be enjoyed.

But in the end, I thing the Gods were pleased.

Wooden Boat Show next weekend!

https://www.mysticseaport.org/event/...odenboat-show/

June 19, 2018

Wayne and I were hard at it again on Kingston II.

The Wooden Boat Show is this coming weekend and it's nice to have the house in order.

The first thing visitors see when approaching the south parking lot is Kingston II sitting proudly on the front lawn. So for anyone who has never been to Mystic Seaport Museum before, the first impression should be a nice as possible.

Last week we cleaned and scraped off the loose paint.

To start off this week we applied a coating of Ospho to the rusty surfaces. Ospho is a brand of rust converting liquid. The companies website says they are a:

Marine Enterprises Incorporated
    Proudly Serving the Marine & Industrial Industries for over 70 years !

I guess this is why it's used by the seaport. I brought my own gallon. The stuff is expensive and sometimes it's not available in the paint shop. Spray it on and let it dry. They recommended letting it dry over night but we didn't have that luxury. In the direct sunlight I think it was ok.

A lot of people have asked what all the small rectangles along the chine are for. They run from the bow back to amidships and are above and below the chine.

I asked Quentin (Seaport VP and in charge of the shipyard) and he believes they were part of a fender system used to protect the large round hulls of the submarines. The system had probably been removed before Electric Boat donated her to the seaport.

Anybody have a better answer?

After we finished scraping and lunch we started to paint.

Barbara and Steve stopped by for a visit.

Perhaps someday she will be completely restored. But for now........

All it takes is time and money, not in that order.

Wayne and I are going to the Wooden Boat show on Friday. See you there? I hope so. Stop by and say hi!