Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566566
Results 2,276 to 2,306 of 2306

Thread: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Default Re: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Meanwhile, Jim is rebuilding a carburetor for the Wisconsin engine that drives the pile driver shown in a previous post.

The last thing he did was turn it over and blow into the fuel line. "It works!" he claimed. Upside down, the float falls and closes the needle valve that normally keeps the fuel at the right level in the carburetor.

Leaving Nate to his springs, I walked into the barn to find the Garvey finally has a propeller and shaft. I asked Walt when it will be launched. He said they will give a test run in December and launch it next year. Walt designed and built it. No name for it that I know of yet.

She is well built.

After lunch, Wayne and I each took a sander and worked on the Dunton's boom.

The main mast is on the left and the boom is in the center.

Quentin stopped by and told us the main mast and boom will be going back on Dunton in the spring.

Mayflower's captain, Whit, and another gentleman stopped by.

The chunk of wood Anne is looking at was supposed to become Mayflower II's new mizzen mast. But the wood has some bad checking and the visitor sells wood. So, I suppose Whit is looking for a replacement.

The best wood will be one with no heart in it. That is, the piece would be cut off to one side of the center of the growth rings. That cut would present few if any checks. But when you see how big this thing is, you can only imagine how big a tree will be to supply it.

Well, there will be more to come on this, I'm sure.

Last week I mentioned that I sprang for a piece of scrimshaw done by our own, Quentin, shipyard director.

This is it.

It sits on a one inch thick piece of planking removed from the Morgan during her restoration. There are holes in it left from the nails used to fasting the copper to Morgan's bottom and there is a trunnel head on the surface.

The tooth is a sperm whale tooth that was acquired with pre-ban certification.

I've said it before and now again. There are amazingly talented people at Mystic Seaport!

November 7, 2017

I walked in to see last weeks project at work. Wayne and I painted the forklift crane that had recently been rebuilt.

In the yard, Sabino's new plank is in and only needs paint.

But another soft spot was found and is getting fixed.

Sabino is 109 years old, so some of the original planking may need attention.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locations/sabino/

Another new boat was sitting in the yard.

Breake Of Day does not appear to be listed in the seaport's website, so now you know as much as I do. According to Anne this morning, she is heading into the mill
    building today. Former home of the Rossie Velvet Mill, this building is home to the seaport's collection of small boats not on display. There they are kept in a dry location and out of the weather .

She was supposed to be launched from the ship lift but suddenly, it stopped working. Scott went through the rather extensive manuals and found a circuit was dead do to a blown fuse. Simple fix when you know where to look.

But in the mean time, it was high tide so the boat ramp just outside the gate worked fine.

Wayne is in Texas with the Red Cross. He will be helping survivors of yet another senseless tragedy. He figures he'll be at least ten days out there.

So, Anne and I were asked to clean out the sawdust from under the ship's saw.

It's a tight squeeze to get into the five foot deep pit. There is a spot just behind the hand wheel on the left where I could climb down. From there I was able to dig out about 15, five gallon pails of sawdust. But there was no room to move anywhere else because the saw was tilted over.

So tilt it up.

Well, that's another problem.

The gear that moves the saw on an angle is broken. So what do you do when a special gear from a 1930's saw breaks? You know the answer. Make a new one.

In the machine shop a new gear should be done soon. The calculations are done and tools purchased. I made a gear in high school. That's 56 years ago. I believe I could still do it, but I'd have to think on it.

I don't know how it broke.

Dean made a wooden blank just to confirm his numbers. The new steel gear was turned on the lathe.

The first cut is removing metal so the form tool will have a lighter cut.

This is the form tool that will be used. There's a lot to this. You need to know the pitch and the number of teeth on the gear. It's been a long time, but as I remember it, well, it's been too long.

Here's the cutter.

I'm sure that by next week, it will be done and installed. Then I can crawl back into the pit and clean it out.

With not a lot to do, I watched Anne as she cleaned up the lower end of this outboard.

I suggested we take off the zinc. Nate had the wrench in hand.

The zinc looked brand new but the motor is badly corroded. I found the mating surfaces to be coated with something and my guess is that the zinc was never bonded to the motor.

Meanwhile Nate was still making springs. Using different sized mandrels he finally got it to the right dimensions.

Caliper and spring in his right hand and making notes with his left, the manual is on the right. He plans to take the springs and wrap them in steel wool and aluminum foil and then put them in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit to anneal them. This should limit the oxygen. I hope it all works. We'll see next week.

The Wolverine engine has a build in air compressor for starting. The piston needs new rings which Jim has ordered. They should be in soon. But in the mean time Nate is making a ring compressor to aid in assembly.

Meanwhile, Anne is still at it.

Mayflower II.

This is Chris working in the stern.

I'm not sure how it all works, but it looks like he's preparing to move this knee into place.

In the bow, Jamie appears to be tightening two futtocks together.

Unlike the Morgan where trunnels were used, Mayflower II uses galvanized bolts.

Up in the bow, the work still goes on.

He is using a power plane to trim the surface where the bowsprit will go.

November 14, 2017

Anne had an appointment and Wayne is still in Texas, so I was working alone during the morning. My job was to remove the damaged caps on top of some the pilings .

I didn't feel good about setting up my camera on another piling to take a selfie of myself working. I just bought the camera a month or so ago and the idea letting it fall in the water was not pleasing to me.
    So, imagine that part.

However, while there, I noticed Francis Marion turning around.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/support/vessel-donations/

Later I found her "On the hard" with her bottom being cleaned. It turns out that she may be sold. The haul out is so a survey can be done.

All the water used in cleaning is collected in a cistern for later recycling. There are several large containers like this one that will be processed soon. There's nothing cheap about boating.

In the DuPont barn, this is the outer stem that will go on Mayflower II. At this point, it's made of three pieces.

I have no idea what this will be, but Louie is making it.

The gear that was being made last week is done. The guys are going through the ship saw to look for other problems so it's not running yet. So far it's getting a good cleaning and oiling with no other problems showing up.

The Mayflower II's saw was working on this rather complicated chunk of wood.

So I stopped and asked what it was going to be.

Firewood.

Too bad, it looks interesting. But, they couldn't use it.

Nate, Roger, and Jim have all the parts ready for the Wisconsin engine to run. Jim rebuilt the carburetor and had the magneto rebuilt.

The original tank is very badly rusted as well as the sheet metal parts for cooling. The gas tank is from some other engine and for now the engine can run for short runs until a replacement sheet metal can be found or duplicated.

My job for the afternoon was to help Dave winterize Liberty.

Dave is the captain on Sabino and during down time for Sabino he will run Liberty.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/locati...water-shuttle/

Liberty has a Detroit 6-71 diesel engine. Today I helped get antifreeze into the raw water coolant system.

As the engine ran, we watched for antifreeze in the exhaust.

It was impossible to tell if it was antifreeze or just water. So, a cup on a stick did the trick.

Four gallons did the trick.

I always enjoy visiting this thread. If I lived need Mystic, I'd be right by your side, volunteering.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I/we, would love to have you.

The Pilots Program is perfect for you. People come from all over the county for a day or two.

I have never done a Pilots weekend, but Anne does. Come and meet her.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/join/communities/pilots/​

Pilots working with Jamie, one of the shipwrights. (Center, red hat)

November 21, 2017

Nate put the drive gear on the pile driver and got to pull the levers to see how it works.

This is odd. The flash made his hand and hammer almost disappear .

Nate found a NOS, (New Old Stock) cooling cover on line and once it's on, it will be ready to go. He and Scott will have to decide about paint. It's an old navy machine so navy gray would be appropriate. Or no paint would be OK too.

Another engine job is the green, Clark fork lift that has had two bad cylinders for a while now. A new motor has been sitting in the shop for a while waiting its turn. The counter weight is off.

First job, give it a bath. All the dirty and oily water will end up in the cistern.

Now in the shop, Scott is taking off the hood.

Scott and Jim are removing all the extras.

Want more engines?

Jim was able to order new piston rings for the Wolverine's air compressor. The engine starts using air pressure so this generates its on board supply.

Last week Nate made a ring compressor out of a piece of tubing that he bored to size and cut in half.

Bob is holding the "big end" of the connecting rod. The piston is about a two inches diameter but the bearing surface on the other end is in the range of 9 or 10 inches. Seems like an odd ratio. Hey, it worked for close to 90 years.

The piston is in and the compressor is coming off.

Jim approves.

Now it's time to install it on the engine. It's not real heavy, but having an overhead crane makes it so much easier.

It's hard to see here, but the stick is holding the rod cap up until Nate can get the nuts started.

There is an odd looking cup under the piston on the connecting rod. It catches the lost oil from the piston lubricator and feeds it to the big end bearing below. From there is finds its way into the bilge. Things were better in the old days? What a mess!

Wayne is back from the Texas church shootings where he helped victims and their families. It's good to have him home. After his ordeal there, Mystic Seaport is therapy.

So our job was to lubricate the hinges on the lift dock. Simple job. "Don't get any oil in the river!" We didn't.

This took twenty minutes.

Another simple job. Wayne took the doors of the cabinet. Not a big deal, but as it turned out, the door was always in the way. The hard part was finding a screwdriver that was the right size and new enough so it got a good bite on the head. It took three times longer to find a good tool than the job took. Three times? Try ten times.

This is the shed where used oils and paint products end up waiting to be recycled.

Winter is coming. I don't know what this boat is doing here, but my guess is that it's a donation. It's been a few weeks in the yard and is getting covered.

I ran out of time before I could get into Mayflower II this week, but I did see this.

So, with Mayflower in mind, to all of you on this Thanks Giving Eve, I wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday.

That boat on the trailer looks to be a 'Nantucket Splinter'. Wonder if she will be for sale?
    When the last tree is cut
    When the last river is dry
    When the last fish is caught
    Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.

November 28, 2017

I travel I-95 for an hour to get to Mystic. And I always pick up Wayne at 8:00. Being of Nordic descent being on time is in my genes. So yesterday the traffic was unusually light and I arrived ten minutes early. I took a short tour of the area west of down town Mystic. (I don't want to be early as much as I don't want to be late.)

I think there must have been some big money in Mystic in the late 1800's. Just down the street from Wayne's house, perhaps a half mile, I found these four in a row.

This one is an octagon house.

And its neighbors.

It was just this past summer, my wife and I found this house just a few blocks away. It is now a hotel.

This may be a hint as to what those other houses look like inside.

On to other things.

Last week the engine was coming out of the Clark forklift. I assumed the job would be done by now, but the shipyard is a busy place. At least the engine is out. Anne's job for the day was to climb in and clean up the engine room.

Here's the new engine.

Wayne and I looked over the new Garvey that Walt is building. It also is taking a long time.

This appears to be the sea-cocks. Raw water and extra water for a pump? I know they go often out to the seaport boats to check and pump their bilges.

They don't look inexpensive.

These blocks will back up the cleats that have yet ti be installed.

Inside the boat is a template for the raw water inlet filter.

I talked to Walt and he hopes to have the boat in the water for testing in December.

Mayflower II's stem is huge. It appears to be fitted together so well the a slip of paper wouldn't fit in the joints.

Jim approves.

Tom is repairing the Mayflower II's top.

Louie is hard at work here. This piece goes vertically through the main deck amidships just behind the main hatch.

Also hard at it.

I love it when the chips are flying.

Wayne and I pulled the caps off more pilings.

Anne showed us where to work.

The lead caps are fine, and no real problem unless they are damaged. So were removing the damaged ones.

They average between fifty and sixty nails in each one and we have to pry them off.

The tool is under the head of the nail.

The cap is off here but some of the nails still need to be removed.

This is job security.

We're right up next to the Draken which is wintering over with us.

As winter approaches, even the Morgan has been winterized. The yards are put at an angle so water doesn't collect in checks.

The main mast is done. The mizzen and foremast await attention.

On board Mayflower II, this knee must have a special name, but for now, I'll call it a knee.

Later on, it was installed.

Or at least it was in place.

Same parts from the inside.

Below is in the bow. This piece arrived a few weeks ago. To replace the original oak piece would have been almost impossible. Live oak is a protected species and only damaged and downed trees are available. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, hurricanes provide a pretty good supply source. But finding a curved piece this size is probably never going to happen.

So, a laminate of an African mahogany fits the bill very nicely for the purposes needed here.

He's using a come-along to inch it into place.

Outside on the ground is the original outer stem.

So above is before, and below is after.

And here is where it will go.

There's a lot of details in building any boat.

Going to have to take a spin over to Mystic this winter and have a look at the Mayflower II. I've seen her many times over the years up the road in Plymouth and a few times in dry dock at the Fairhaven Shipyard. Good excuse to get outa Dodge for a day or two.

Back in July 2014 I launched my boat in Fairhaven to have a closer look, by water, of the CWM visiting New Bedford. She was a sight to see, my photo doesn't do her justice! That tender in the photo got an ear full for approaching so close by the NB Harbor Master so we kept our distance and got a great view just the same. Also got to see her at the Mass Maritime Academy.

CWMorgan #4.jpg

When you come, keep in mind the seaport is now on winter hours so check before you leave.

That's a great picture of the Morgan. I took your photo and enhanced it on my photo program.

I use the enhancing feature often because we're not in a perfect world, even at Mystic Seaport.

The 38th Voyage was a wonderful time. Our gang was on duty every day to guide visitors through the boat.

When Morgan left New Bedford, some of our gang went out for the ride to the Cape Cod Canal.

Not too many people can say they left New Bedford on a whaler.

Each of us even got to steer her for five minutes.

My problem was my cataract had not been fixed yet so I had a crew member correcting my course several times. I couldn't see the compass well enough. Oh well, there's always next time.

Taking the helm must have been incredible, I can only imagine.

Here is a photo of the Morgan tied up at Mass Maritime Academy with the CG training ship Eagle. Not the greatest quality, kind of grainy when blown up. It was taken with an iPhone, I think, not my usual Canon DSLR.

CWM.jpg

December 5, 2017

Wayne and I arrived a bit late to the seaport and Anne was off for the day. So all he and I did was take more of the lead caps off the pilings in the marina.

Because of the slow start and the launching of Sabino, we only ended up actually working for an hour before it was time for lunch. More on that in a minute.

As always I started in the engine shop.

Nate had ordered a NOS (new old stock) shield for the Wisconsin engine and it just arrived.

I think it puts a little pressure on Nate. It is brand new. The rest of the rig needs freshening too so it will match the brand new part. Paint performs miracles in a restoration.

The new engine is installed in the forklift.

In the paint shop, the stem has been replaced on Gramp.

In the barn, another part for Mayflower II.

Sabino goes back in.

Old Mayflower II parts are going across the street. What happens to them in the long run is unknown.

This is a new deck beam. It weighs 900 pounds. (That's what is written on it.)

Louie is providing the grunt work.

Looking at this, I assume the one below goes on the other side.

Our good friend Rob, lead shipwright on the Morgan restoration, is now working for another company.

He is now working for the brother of Quentin Snediker. Quentin is the Clark Senior Curator for Watercraft at Mystic Seaport, and his brother owns a marine restoration shop near by.

http://snedikeryacht.com/

So, Rob, Wayne and I had lunch together next door to where he works now.

After lunch we got the tour.

Out in the yard is Doris.

She is in need of a great deal of work.

Rob thinks she will be brought into the shop sometime early next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_(sailing_yacht)

Inside the shop is the usual machinery.

A blueprint for Doris is hanging on the wall.

Oddly though, Rob's job right now is restoring two of these windows for a local landmark building.

This boat just had a refinishing.

Beautiful!

The second window is to the right.

Now outside, I took another picture of Doris.

It's wonderful that such a great boat as this will be restored.

I have said for years, "All it takes is time and money, sadly, never in that order."

So it was time to leave. Wayne had another engagement and since it was raining I decided to go home from there. I'm glad they don't pay me. I'd have been canned a long time ago.

Last night I got a text from Barbara who is spending some time in Texas.

Only in Texas!

December 10, 2017

Yesterday my wife and I had some of our Mystic Seaport friends over for dinner. We don't see Jake or John at the seaport any more and this was a good time to see old friends. John now has a full time job and Jake is trying to fix up two houses for sale after he moved into a third. He's been a busy boy. One day, they'll both be back.

Twelve for dinner is a lot of work. But twelve is all we have chairs for. Half the fun is getting ready. This is from someone who thinks scraping paint is fun.

It was a great time.

John showed up early to help in the kitchen. In his next life he will be a five star chef. (No kidding. He's five star right now!)

Jake and Ann showed up next. He was dressed the part. His personality fits him well. He's a reformed Scrooge, not a "bah humbug" all afternoon.

With her back to the camera is Leslie, Wayne's wife. Wayne is away again on a Red Cross mission in California. Just in the last few months he has been in Texas and Florida helping hurricane victims, back to Texas for the victims of the church shootings, and now to California for
    victims of the ongoing fires.

Anne and Sherman.

It's is supposed to snow tomorrow so I'll go to the seaport on Thursday instead of the usual Tuesday. An hour commute in the snow is not fun. Nor particularly sane either.