Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1151606162 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,135 of 2306

Thread: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Default Re: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Then we needed to wait for the compressor to get up to full pressure.

Some where in there, Nate topped off the tank. It's not much more than one gallon right now.

As you watch this, remember it took several tries. Each time Nate tried he learned a little more about what handle had to be where. And almost each try required a new set of wicks. Every time he tried he had to wait for the compressor to catch up. It's only a five horse compressor but it has to fill two tanks to get enough volume.

Then for me to catch it at the time when it ran for the first time, I had to film every try.

The video is only a few of those tries, but you can see how each time got a little better.

At the end, watch it shake. No wonder the boat sank. This thing is a monster!

I am going back out on Friday. Draken Harald Hårfagre will be hauled.

Last edited by Morgan Volunteer; 04-03-2017 at 09:01 AM.

March 31, 2017

The Draken Harald Hårfagre was hauled out on Friday. Not the most beautiful of days, but it was rain and not snow.

Just before lunch, she was almost ready for the 1:00pm appointment with the lift dock.

Amistad, in the foreground, will be leaving for New London in mid April.

The rain was light for most of the day. It was cool and damp.

The guys were ready.

Right out of the Viking Sagas, Draken Harald Hårfagre appeared out of the fog.

What a scary sight this would have been for 9th century Europeans.

Ragnar
    Lothbrok would have known this scene.

Ragnar might have questioned a few things.

Talking to a wire? What's a wire?

Imagine how you would explain to Ragnar everything he has seen this day. (and live another day!)

April 4, 2017

Last Friday I took a couple of other pictures but had no time to post them.

The upper deck on Sabino has been fully repaired and now it is getting a layer of canvas (Sunbrella) laid down.

I went on line and found it cost $22.00 per yard. Wow! I imagine with the seaport's quantity, they got a discount.

Apparently Shenandoah needs a new mast and the seaport is going to make it.

https://theblackdogtallships.com/the...er-shenandoah/

There is a huge piece of wood on the lathe.

The other end.

The lathe is a simple design.

The turning square is about 75 feet long so a steady rest may be used. Clamp it on and it will run on rollers.

Yesterday I found Louie working on a floor timber for Mayflower II.

I try to keep a time line when I write this, but with Friday's pictures and yesterday's, it's not exactly correctly
    shown here.

So, on to yesterday.

Naturally the first thing we did yesterday was take a coffee break. It's a hard job we do.

We ran into the crew from Draken Harald Hårfagre also having coffee.

On Friday I asked the captain where the first port of call will be when they leave us. He said, "The Horn." He also said if they make it, they will have achieved a level of fame. He also said if they don't make it, they will have achieved a level of fame.

I was thinking they would go to Newport or New York.

In talking with the crew, it seems they do not have any destination set just yet. They may just stay in Mystic for the summer. Well, that would be great if they got Coast Guard certification to take out guests. This is all scuttlebutt so far. There is a rule that foreign built ships can not take on US citizens, but how do you explain cruise ships? This will be interesting to watch.

So off to our job for the day.

Sabino's stack needed cleaning and paint. It was an inside job due to the weather.

We've had a lot of rain lately.

That's Wayne.

Our job arrived.

Wayne cleaned inside, Anne cleaned outside, and I tried to replace all the fasteners.

Nate was trying to install an exhaust stack on the Wolverine.

Later on he started it up. He said it likes running on two settings. Full bore and off. Trying to limit the speed was difficult. It would accelerate and the safety valves would pop open and the exhaust pipe blew off. The elbow above was strapped down but the thing popped apart in a middle seam. More work is needed.

Sabino's new boiler is in. It will run at a normal max of 150 PSI. It was tested to 300 PSI. There was a small problem during the test. The testing equipment is rated to test to 4,000 PSI. At 300 PSI the tester leaked so badly, they couldn't get a steady reading. 4,000 Lbs, no problem. 300 is another story. A little sealant was all it took.

Except for the welds on the manifolds, it's seamless from top to bottom.

Pretty fancy tube bending here.

On Friday while the entire crew was out hauling the Draken Harald Hårfagre (I wish I could pronounce it) I climbed up into the scaffolding on Mayflower II.

Nice place to work.

The saw was missing and I was told it's across the street. It seem the logs are so big, they couldn't bring them into the yard.

It's easier to build the saw around the log than it is to put the log in the saw.

One last picture. On Friday I met three people. It turns out one of them is a volunteer and one of the women is the volunteer's wife.

So, here they are watching Nate's machine working.

I asked if he was going to get his wife to volunteer and he said he's working on it.

Ragnar might have questioned a few things.

Talking to a wire? What's a wire?

He probably would have said: "What is this wire into which you speak? I would have congress with these spirits of yours, and reward you richly for it. Or, I can cut off your feet. Choose."

These are great. Thanks for posting. Gotta get back there.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I love it! I think I would wear body armor if I was to meet him and hope he didn't go for my head.

Here is another article about where Mayflower II's wood is coming from.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/news/2...art-of-legacy/

This is not a book club thread, but as long as we are talking about Vikings, here is a fictional account. I read this a year or two ago and loved it.

The Long Ships

By Frans Gunnar Bengtsson

This is from Amazon's website.

Frans Gunnar Bengtsson’s The Long Ships resurrects the fantastic world of the tenth century AD when the Vikings roamed and rampaged from the northern fastnesses of Scandinavia down to the Mediterranean. Bengtsson’s hero, Red Orm—canny, courageous, and above all lucky—is only a boy when he is abducted from his Danish home by the Vikings and made to take this place at the oars of their dragon-prowed ships. Orm is then captured by the Moors in Spain, where he is initiated into the pleasures of the senses and fights for the Caliph of Cordova. Escaping from captivity, Orm washes up in Ireland, where he marvels at those creatures, the Christian monks, and from which he then moves on to play an ever more important part in the intrigues of the various Scandinavian kings and clans and dependencies. Eventually, Orm contributes to the Viking defeat of the army of the king of England and returns home an off-the-cuff Christian and a very rich man, though back on his native turf new trials and tribulations will test his cunning and determination. Packed with pitched battles and blood feuds and told throughout with wit and high spirits, Bengtsson’s book is a splendid adventure that features one of the most unexpectedly winning heroes in modern fiction.

I especially remember a part where the hero, now older, hosted a feast with many vikings at his home. He had a court jester who entertained and part of his act was a ventriloquist act. When the other vikings heard the dummy talking they rose with swords drawn and our hero had to talk them down. I can see it happening.

April 11, 2017

Yesterday I found out what has happened to one of the live oak trees that were donated to the Mayflower II project.

From the Mystic Seaport website.

In Pass Christian, Miss., two live oaks saved Diane Brugger’s life during Hurricane Katrina. Diane and her husband Tony owned the Harbour Oaks Bed and Breakfast Inn, and they did not evacuate when the storm neared because they thought the hurricane was headed straight for New Orleans. The inn was 33 feet above sea level, so they thought they were safe, even with the predicted 25-foot storm surge. As the water rose, the Bruggers sheltered on the second floor, and then suddenly, a tornado hit.
    “We were sitting in the bed and the dogs were just going crazy, and the house, you would feel it sort of lift up like a boat and then settle back,” Diane Brugger said in an interview with ABC News. “Then when the house went up and it didn’t quite go right back down the way it was supposed to and we got up and then that’s when the walls fell away,” Brugger said. “When the part of the ceiling came down, it caught [Tony’s] head and just took him right under.”

Diane grabbed onto two live oaks in her yard, and clung for six hours as the water swept by.

At one time her property had 12 live oaks, Diane said, ranging in age from 250 to 500 years old. Two remained in the wake of the storm (the ones she clung to had to be removed after the storm because of damage). Of the two, one was recently struck by lightning and had to be taken down. This is the tree she is donating to Mayflower II.

“It will make me so happy, and my family, to know that this tree will not wind up in a landfill somewhere but instead with something as historic as where it came from,” she said.

We were told that any piece that had PC painted on it was part of that donation.

Not clear here, the orange paint says PC.

This piece was not part of that lot of wood. It is, according to the shipwright, an apron. It is one of six pieces that will make up the stem. Here they are cutting to a line drawn on the top surface.

The branch to the left will be cut off and not made into a knee. The flaw in the center may be rot. I only spotted that when I looked just now. There is another flaw at the other end that had to be worked around.

A naval timber is sawn here.

The timbers are the lowest frame member sitting on top of the keel. There are two types. Navel timbers are two pieces that meet at the keel. Floor timbers are one piece. They are a "V" shape that centers on the keel.

Louie, on the left is turning the wheel located just ahead of him. It will tilt the saw. This navel timber has to conform to the shape of the hull as it flares up in the stern.

The points where the angle of the saw had to be adjusted.

Below, both types of timbers already installed in the hull.

Many of the timbers and futtocks are still good and will not be replaced. On the Morgan, only four timbers had to be replaced and the Morgan is 110 years older.

Shenandoah's mast has been mounted on the lathe. The shipwright has been fine tuning the set up prior to actually doing some tuning.

Prior to turning, the square has been cut to an octagonal shape.

Since the corners have been saved and banded, they may also be used for another project.

During the day, cuts were made for the supports (AKA, steady rest?)

Shims were installed to raise the wheels into contact.

The Coast Guard was there to insect the construction of the mast. He said it's really big and there are passengers involved. They just wanted to take a look.

This is the end that was cut off.

Last edited by Morgan Volunteer; 04-12-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Liberty was hauled out for routine maintenance, bottom wash, paint, zincs, etc.

The lift dock certainly has its great points but for a fiberglass hull, a travel lift would be much easier. This way requires a diver.

+

If I lived next door, this would be a job I wouldn't mind doing, BUT...

Driving an hour home in clothes that smell like low tide, no thanks.

Doug and I pumped out the runoff water from the cistern. This is not only Liberty's water. The Viking ship water is here too.

The tank hold 330 gallons and costs a dollar per gallon to dispose of.

Boating is not a cheap hobby.

There is a valve that turns off the drain to the cistern so rain water doesn't fill up the tank.

It's Pirate Days, yesterday and today.

A bit too late for this year, but mark your calendar for next year.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/event/...ystic-seaport/

Wayne was away until late last night so we only met for lunch. He said the line was out the door with people waiting to get in. Barbara was on duty at the Thompson building and reported the same line.

This is amazing! It's spring break for a lot of kids, but most parents still need to work. The place was a zoo!

It's been a long winter and it's great to see visitors coming back.

When the Wolverine started up it became obvious that the framework supporting it was not up to the job. The wood was in good shape, but it was not supported in a hull anymore. So the guys added some bits to make it more secure.

The problem.

Measuring.

The fix. They hope.

We all hope this works. It's nice to keep as much of the original as possible.

During break I took a look inside Mayflower II.

Whit, Mayflower II's captain, was searching for a place to hang this banner.

He can hang it in my shop if he likes.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

What a great thread! Thanks so much and keep it coming!

April 18, 2017

We had a real job to do. It has been a bit light for us over the last few weeks, but good weather has brought on outdoor things to do.

We spent all day getting two whale boats ready to go back in the davits on the Morgan. These boats will never see their bottoms wet so our job was only cosmetic. They are for display only. There are three boats alongside the Morgan that I have seen visitors rowing often. When you come be sure to ask.

Scrape paint. It's what we do.

The thing that is so much fun for us is getting kids to help out.

Following the rules and common courtesy, I always ask the parent if pictures and posting here is OK. I have yet to be turned down.

After lunch we painted with primer.

I'm just going to insert this here because I can put six pictures in a page. This is number six.

This is on top of the enclosure the Mayflower II is in. My guess is that it's a lightning rod, but I have never seen one like it.

Pretty fancy.

Last week there was a mast being turned on the shipyard's giant lathe. It is a new mast for Shenandoah on Martha's Vineyard.

Today it was picked up. The other end is on wheels.

Mayflower II's new apron (?), part of the stem is almost done.

The original.

The new.

That's it for this week. We were so busy with the whale boats I didn't wander very much.

I did walk over to see if the new stove had arrived for Amistad. It had not, but it was out for delivery.

Amistad is leaving for New Haven today, 4/19/2017. She'll be there for a week and then moves on to Bridgeport. I could not find a schedule on line.

April 27, 2017

Today there was a small party for Dana Hewson who is retiring at the end of the week. He is hanging up his hat after 39 years at the seaport. During that time he became Vice President for Watercraft Preservation and Programs and the Clark Senior Curator for Watercraft at Mystic Seaport. His job will now be taken over by two people. One is Quentin Snediker will take over the Clark Senior Curator position as well as continue his role as Director of the Museum’s Henry B. duPont Preservation Shipyard.

The other half of Dana's duties will be taken on by a new Vice President for Watercraft Preservation and Programs. His name is Christopher Gasiorek. He comes with extensive credentials and history. He plans on starting in June.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/news/2...ice-president/

But today is about Dana.

We met in the sail training building where the sail training classes are held.

Coffee, tea, baked goods, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, bacon, and and and.... I'm glad I had skipped breakfast.

EveAnne, on the left was emcee. She is the volunteer coordinator so I guess she is my ultimate boss.

Dana.

That was the first time I had been in the Sailing Center Building and after almost eight years of volunteering, today was the first time I went aboard Brilliant.

A Mystic Seaport photo

Winter may be over, but it's not quite summer either. So she's not quite ready for visitors. We've all been there, so make the excuses and look beyond the stuff not yet stowed. This is a look below.

Captain Nick told be she is mostly original to her 1932 build.

The chart table.

The owner's berth.

The galley. The gimbaled diesel oil stove replaced the coal stove years ago.

The "ice box" now has a couple of chill plates keeping it cold. Other than that, it's original.

Forward berths. Or the frames for the forward berths.

That's me in the mirror.

The 3-71 GM diesel.

You can sail this boat.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/learn/...ograms/adults/

Good man, Dana!

Now on to the important stuff, like scraping paint.

Since the whale boats we were supposed to paint were wet due to the weather, we started to scrape off the oiled finish on the Mayflower II's rudder. The rudder had been given several coats of linseed oil to protect the wood. Now we had to scrape it off.

Oddly enough, every time we scraped, a new coating of oil would appear. I guess that is the problem. Too much oil and the new paint won't stay put. There was no one in "Management" to ask. So we scraped and scraped.

I worked on the very bottom end and it was black from sitting in the mud. It didn't take very long before the carbide blade became dull from the silt.

Remember this piece? It's an apron from the stem on Mayflower II. I didn't mention it last week because it turned out to be a real lemon. Some of those wonderful critters called termites had a feast deep inside. This was at the end of two weeks of very hard work by at least two shipwrights. The damage was found when it was put into the saw and the thickness was reduced. It exposed several trails and cavities. There was too much damage to repair.

I have seen this happen one other time years ago when a mast was complete except for cutting it to final length. It was hollow inside.

In both cases, no one had a clue to what was going on inside.

Today, I found out what happened with the apron and a little bit of lemonade came out of it.

Jeremy is fabricating a floor timber working around the damage caused by the bugs. It was a terrible waste but....

Warren is fine tuning a new saw in the wood shop. No lack of great toys. Make that tools.

Sabino will have all new benches soon.

Some of the parts.

Trevor made a fixture and is routing out where the slats will go.

The engine for the new aluminum Garvey is ready to be installed. Scott delivered it to the boat today.

Thank you for sharing! I love this thread. Someday I want to visit the east coast and specifically Mystic Seaport. So cool!

May 4 and 9, 2017

Wayne again had a conflict last Tuesday so we went to the seaport on Thursday. That was the day I should have just stayed home. My gut, chest, and head told me that I had clearly made a mistake. Well I stuck it out and got a few pictures, but Friday was not a day I would see very much of. By Tuesday things were almost back to normal.

So this is last week.

I love this construction.

This is looking inside at the stern.

To the right is the steering oar.

This is the new apron (Part of the stem) for Mayflower II. The previous one was found to have a hidden nest of termites inside. This one is fine, but the top of the arch is new wood and the guys will be adding a Dutchman for a better wetted surface.

The Mayflower II's rudder has received a nice coat of paint since we scraped it a couple of weeks ago.

Howard was caulking the planks on Gerda III. He was using the putty that I mixed with whiting powder back during the winter.

Along with all the other parts that need help, he said that he is waiting for a new air tank. The tank is used to hold the air that turns over the engine when starting it. The old tank was too old to be trusted with high pressure air any more.

Howard is basically a one man restoration team. Gerda III is not owned by the seaport so care comes only when it can be paid for by the owners, Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York City, and Howard. We are always there to help when he asks.

This was our job on Thursday.

This is located on the dock directly across from the south visitors entrance where LA Dunton is tied up. It is the wheelhouse from who knows what anymore. The seaport may. Probably does, but for us, it's a ticket booth used to sell tickets for rides on Liberty and soon, for rides on Sabino. And she needs freshening.

Now skip forward to yesterday.

I took this from the Visitors Center stairs.

It now has a coat of paint where needed. The windows needed help.

Wayne and I re-puttied the windows where needed and had to run to the hardware store for one new pane. They store had it in stock, pre-cut to size.

While not exactly done, It was time to rehang the pictures.

And Wayne rested.

Wandering through the DuPont barn, I found Trevor working on Sabino's new benches.

Hanging in the barn is a chart. It covers part of the Irish sea and I spotted this name on it in Baltimore Harbour.

I love names used by Great Britain for there ships.
    HMS Audacity

HMS Audacious

HMS Indefatigable

HMS Invincible

Not to be out done, I can only wonder where this name came from.

But what better name can you come up with when you've struck, "Lousy Rocks!"

Mayflower II gets new parts.

During the morning I watched Chris making a naval timber.

Later on I happened to be there when he lifted it on board.

Flip it right side up.

And set it in place.

There is still some fitting that needs to be done. It's too long right now so it will be trimmed to fit.

Further aft, a floor timber is also going in.

This floor timber needs some adjusting too. The center does not contact the keel so a little work with the plane is needed.

Louie is lifting it up again to get to work with the plane.

When I could, I climbed the ladder to see other work going on.

Up as high as I can get I found more work going on.

I am standing on the deck that had been replaced last summer. Now the upper deck is being renewed.

Looking forward.