Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38788788
Results 3,046 to 3,076 of 3076

Thread: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Default Re: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

We put in a few hours before the seaport opened.

I'm not sure we are 100% done now, but we're close.

I'll be glad when this is done. There is the rest of the boat to paint. Ugh!

You got it MV. I was trying to find some pictures for you but unfortunately the website is down so I’ve only got a few I found on my phone for now.

The ‘flagship’ of the fleet is Fiona 108J. A traditional Jersey fishing boat built 1860 and still sailing. She was originally a two masted lugger but later converted to a gaff cutter.

2DA86790-FEAF-444B-8BAC-0AA41FF96731.jpeg

Next is the ex-RNLB Howard D. Jersey’s first motorised lifeboat, built by Saunders Roe and donated in 1937 to the island by T B David the philanthropist and owner of the stunning racing schooner Westward.

E86A506A-53A0-4C36-B42C-A1465FEC06E7.jpeg

Then my personal favourites and the boats that got me hooked on wooden boats. Our pair of 1913 Hamble One Designs Florence and Jesse. Probably the slowest boats I’ve ever sailed but also the most enjoyable.

11CB299C-88D9-4AB1-97A1-2FF212F18B90.jpg

Then there’s Desiree that I’m restoring and you can see the thread on this forum. We also have a couple of smaller traditional lugger fishing boats, one replica and two original from the turn of the century but sadly I can’t find any pictures to share right now.

Last edited by Morgan Volunteer; 04-25-2022 at 12:23 PM.

April 28, 2022

Pilot has left after more work was done. She was not hauled out this time. Now she heads home to sell people oysters in Brooklyn.

https://crewny.com/pilot

In her place is another boat. This time the boat is a retired fire boat, named
    Governor Alfred E. Smith.

More on her here too.

https://crewny.com/pilot

This was first thing in the morning and there was no one to talk to about what will happen.

Nate was away today, but he has installed both cylinders now on his rebuild.

I haven't seen Susan for two years. We used to work together in the shipyard all the time. Damn Covid. Oh well things are better now.

She and Loring (SP?) were cleaning up the Morgan's rigging.

The weather was very windy and somewhat cold. Outside work was not going to happen on Fire Fighter today. The bunk house floor was newly painted too, so there was nothing to do in there.

So we polished metal parts.

Working on the floor is tough for guys our age.

So the occasional break was in order.

Back to work.

A painting of Fire Fighter.

So we did not get a lot done, but there is always next week.

May 5, 2022

Arriving in the morning I found the Viking ship has been hauled out for maintenance.

The Morgan's jib boom.

But, with the upcoming trip to Boston for Fire Fighter, we were under the gun to get her ready.

In Boston there will be no services available at the dock so one thing we need is a generator to give us lights during tours and at night. The boat does have it's own generator, but it only puts out DC current and due to the boats new usage as a museum, the lights are now AC.

So, I brought my generator.

But of the two needs for the generator, one being lights, the other is quiet. It's hard to hear when a generator is running, so we tried a couple of things to make it quieter.

This is a box built to cover a non functioning military surplus generator on board. A couple of diesel mechanics have not been able to get it running, and there are no parts available. So we borrowed the box.

Better, but not good enough.

This room was a bit better, but we're still going to have to improve it. As you can see, some parts of this boat need attention.

So, off the the shipyard for some wood.

This was the second trip.

We did get the four sides and top cut to size, but I need to get something to absorb the sound and I still need to assemble it.

Perhaps an extra day next week and I can do that.

Meanwhile during other trips to lunch and the shipyard, we stopped in at a new exhibit on the grounds.

This is in a building now called Clift Block. I copied and pasted Clift Block and this is what came up. But it's dated 2019, so it's the right place, but wrong time.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/press-...hance-grounds/

https://www.engineeringfordiscovery.org/

They do under water exploration.

Melissa, in the center is Wayne's next door neighbor. She has been with this group for a long time.

Some time ago they were exploring to try and find the Bonhomme Richard using ROVs and other devices.

Did the find her? They're not sure.

We also stopped in a new model boat exhibit in the John Gardner Boat Shop.

This is a model made from paper and downloaded from the internet.

Time for lunch, and we picked up Barbara along the way.

On the way back, we found Charlie doing his Mystic Seaport job. He designed and installed few places for kids to climb around the seaport. I have not seen them yet because we have been too busy to take the time to look. More later. I hope.

I assume the wood chips are to make a softer landing for falls and trips. He's putting them down in back to the right.

Other improvements around the seaport are water and power upgrades.

The place is all torn up.

Charlie put up a new flag. Unfortunately this one is going back. Look at the stars on a field of blue. The stars need to fill up the field and not leave what looks like a blue border around the stars.

Also, I think it's too big.

Time to go home.

May 9 to May 12, 2022

Charlie and I rode up to Boston on Monday to take a look at the dock where Fire Fighter will be docked in June. We will be at the
    John Joseph Moakley United States Courthouse. There is a great dock in the back of the building, but has no electricity or water.

When entering, they took my phone and keys (Knife attached, oops.) so I have no pictures here.

This is the court house where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was tried for the April 15, 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

While that was, of course, terrible, the building is beautiful. They hold many public events and parties in the building.

Then we drove down to the Massachusetts Maritime Academy on the Cape Cod Canal where the Morgan was during her 38th Voyage.

If the dock is strong enough, we will be tied up on the floating dock on the right. More later on that.

If the dock can't handle Fire Fighter, we can go on the canal side dock. But that presents its own problems in that is is for larger boats than Fire Fighter.

Like this tug.

We could go here. (Ah, maybe.)

So we drove back up north to check out another marina at the north end of the canal. It might work there, but the only slip is already reserved.

Working on it.

Another photo op on the way north.

Tuesday I arrived to find the new floating docks being worked on at the north end of the seaport.

I mentioned before that there is no water or electricity in Boston for us.

Fire Fighter does have an old military surplus generator, but it makes too much noise for hen we'll be at the dock in Boston.

So I brought my generator from home.

It is going in here. Outside will be to noisy, but not nearly as loud as the other unit.

Even in here it's too noisy, so we built a box with fiberglass insulation.

Installing vents.

Later on, I found it to be too hot even with the vents so we modified it to get a lot more circulation. So for it looks like a winner.

The next day the Engineers came on board from their homes on Long Island. Charlie calls them Engineers, because they know how to run everything.

First job, fix the military surplus generator.

First, it needs fuel.

The "gift shop" was a boiler room used for domestic hot water and heat. The fuel line still runs up there from below. There is one small problem. The pipe is old and full of rust. No problem, that's what filters are for.

It runs well now, but it is very noisy.

When under way to Boston, this will be running all day.

Later on they got the engines running.

Bleeding off air in the pumps.

Get ready.

Go!

This is the same starting method Nate uses to start the Atlas and Wolverine engines in the shipyard. One handle spins the engine over using compressed air and when it sounds right, close off the air and open the fuel. Worked slick!

I was surprised the it wasn't as loud as I expected. All day long and I would use hearing protection, but for a few minutes, it wasn't too bad.

On the Morgan, the rigging crew was replacing a mast using a crane.

They/we got lucky. The wind cooperated and blew the smoke close, but not too close.

They are on the mizzen, on the left. The smoke went to the right.

The EPA must love us.

It was time to get ready to squirt some water.

The monitors all needed to be aimed out into the river and low.

In the beginning, the pressure was low.

Surf's up!

All but one of the monitors need work. The gaskets are shot and for now there's no time to fix them. All the gaskets will need to be made as there are no manufacturers of monitor gaskets around.

Of course all the extra leaking water has to go somewhere.

One of the better dry places to be.

The ship yard has a new boat to work on.

It is the largest boat ever lifted out at the seaport.

https://www.victorychimes.com/

https://www.victorychimes.com/shipspecs

She's here for bottom work and a Coast Guard inspection.

May 19, 2022

Can you help?

In the seaport's collections are may items that normally would not be connected to the sea. However, a ships captain owned this flint lock and the CRC, (Collections Research Center) would like to get more information on it. I have lost track of a friend who knows about things like this, so for now I am at a loss.

At this time, all I have is this one picture.

A blow up of the stamp. It appears to be an eagle looking to the left and clutching arrows on the right and probably laurel on the left.

This is not much to go on, but if you have any ideas, the collection department would love to find out more.

So on to other things.

Nate is working on the fuel injection for his engine.

This is the governor.

Below it is where the injector pump will mount.

This is the injector pump.

This is an odd engine configuration. The injectors are near the top. Normal enough.

The strange thing is that both injectors fire at the same time.

One injector does not fire when the piston is at the top of its stroke because the pressure prevents fuel from entering. The other injector puts fuel into the cylinder when that piston is at the bottom of its stroke.

If Nate had not read about this in a manual he would never get it started.

So my guess is there is no timing like most diesels. This engine reminds me of model airplane engines from years ago. They were essentially semi diesels running with a glow plug.

It also has water injection.?

More on this later, I hope.

I was cleaning house at work and had some surplus things to get rid of. Not exactly junk, but not exactly perfect. But Scott was thrilled.

Arbor press, surface plate, tall bottle jack of about ten tons, and other steel plates and odd ball stuff. All good raw material.

The Victory Chimes was hauled out on Monday. She is the largest boat ever hauled out at Mystic Seaport.

The Coast Guard needs to see her insides. Two planks have beenremoved. One on each side.

Like all wooden boats, she does have some hogging.

Up near Fire Fighter, the pilings for new docks were going in. Fancy docks, ipe decking.

During lunch, Barbra told us about how she has been reading Moby Dick.

She has a eye condition where her eyes weep on occasion. So looking down as she was reading, a tear dropped onto a lens.

Remember the back end of a whale.

Looks like Moby Dick is going down.

Yeah, I know, it's strange.

Just wanted to thank you for your continued work on this thread. I really enjoy your updates. I used to work on the water in that area and seeing the shipyard brings back some memories. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Volunteer View Post
    Up near Fire Fighter, the pilings for new docks were going in. Fancy docks, ipe decking.

Ipe, hard as iron, but slippery when wet.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

May 26, 2022

Charlie had an "Oopsie" last week. He was using a ladder made for Fire Fighter and it went overboard.

Jake spent an hour trying to retrieve it with no luck. So I drove back on Monday and gave it a try with this.

A friend gave it to me years ago, but I never had a need for it until now. I planned to use it next to a small pond on my property during the cold weather, but never did.

I made up a sign to warn kids about the thin ice.

Oh well, it worked fine on Firefighter.

I hit it on my first try, but didn't understand what I felt at the end of the line. A few casts later I tried it from a different angle on the raft below. It was almost under the boat and I was lucky to grab it.

Since I was going to be alone on this job I was not in a rush to drive the hour trip to the seaport. So I did a little exploring.

Every tome I drive out, I see this a small cemetery. It's on the north bound side of I-95 located just before the truck weigh station coming into New London. (In case you're in the neighborhood.)

Before I-95 was built it must have been a beautiful place to spend eternity, but now--Not so much.

This is almost all of it. Sadly there is no marker explaining it. I assume it's an old family cemetery, but there is no sign of anything that I could see.

This is not the oldest grave there, but it is the easiest to see.

197 years ago. The flag says someone cares.

We leave for Boston next Saturday. While docked there we will need more fenders for the boat.

I went to a local shop and they donated these old tires. They are in tough shape for use on a truck, but perfect for our needs.

They weigh 110 pounds each. That's according to the internet.

A little help helped.

We drilled three holes in the tread. One on the bottom to drain water out and two on top for eye bolts to tie them to the boat.

Tires are tough! The steel belting is tough on tools, never mind tough on us.

Now all we need is the hardware and rope.

Meanwhile, Nick is checking the fuel levels in all the tanks on board.

There are two tanks here and he is using a steel "dip stick" marked in inches. Some where he has a chart to convert inches into gallons.

This weekend is the first time the new docks will be used and Thursday the first boats arrived.

Morgan work is going a bit slow, but it is steady. The bowsprit is in the yard being worked on but the masts need the bowsprit before the rigging can continue there. In the stern, work goes on.

In the yard, work continues on the 122 year old, Victory Chimes.

Nate was working on the blow torches he will use to heat the hot bulbs on the engine he is rebuilding.

Checking for leaks.

And finally on our way to coffee break he told me there is a bird's nest on top of the Atlas engine.

June 2, 2022

The new docks were installed last week and the next day they were put to use. On Saturday the place was filled with boats rafting up.

I went back to my camera to see when I took the picture above and I found something new. Not only will the camera tell me when I took the picture, it will also tell me where I took the picture. I need a 15 year old to keep me up on things. Most of them will know.

According to my camera, I was at 41°21'45.0"N 71°57'54.0"W

So I looked it up. Well actually I was standing on the edge of the wharf, not as far back as Google Maps shows me. But hey, what's 10 feet?

We are working to get Fire Fighter ready to go to Boston this weekend.

I brought out four well used truck tires for use as fenders. It turns out we only need two, so the shipyard gets the other two.

I only had enough old lines for one tire.

Nate continues to work on his Meitz & Weiss engine. He is rebuilding the blow torches that will heat the hot bulbs.

Also in the machine shop, Scott is making new hardware for the Morgan's bowsprit.

It's all done except for cleaning up and then it will be galvanized.

On Fire Fighter, the "Life boat" was lowered down and started.

I know I'm tired now. There has been a lot of work getting ready to go. Since I am the only one in our group who has any experience with an outboard motor, I was the one to start it.

Ten things going on at once and when we tried to start it, it wouldn't go.

Well, it was my fault. I lowered the gas tank down to the boat and then climbed down the ladder followed by Charlie.

Cranking away, over and over. Nothing.

Long story short, I forgot to plug in the gas line.

Well, who hasn't done that?

But it did start and it ran pretty well.

Later on we tried to get this brand new pump to work and had similar problems. One of the first things I did was check the oil. I was sure I saw some, but, oh well. It must have just been a few drops in the right place that made me think I saw oil.

It turns out this engine has a low oil level shut off switch.

We put in oil, and bingo, it started on the first pull. that only took two hours.

See that yellow tag on the motor. Who ever reads that stuff?

Well, as we were putting it away, Jake finally did.

"Engine shipped without oil."

As I said, I'm getting tired.

Saturday the boat leaves for Boston.

The week of June 6 to June 10, 2022 in Boston

We made Boston with ease. The boat is 86 years old and showing some signs of her old age, but she ran well.

I drove up with my wife and stayed in a hotel very near by.

We were invited up by

https://www.telgian.com/

A lot of people came by and I would guess most of the Boston Fire Department showed up, plus dozens of fire personnel from other towns Massachusetts towns.

We were tied up at the dock at the John Joseph Moakley Federal Courthouse. Beautiful dock, but no electricity or water. We got by with a generator on board and bottled water.

Jake and his friend Martha show up.

TV and radio showed up.

I'm not from this area so I am not familiar with who's who. He appeared to be doing radio as well.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/histori...arbor/40208651

That's Sparky (Obvious) and the lady on the left works in the court house making arrangements for things like weddings, parties, and other events like Fire Fighter docking at the courthouse.

I believe someone from the Telgian group made this and gave it to Charlie

My wife and Martha showed up.

Fire Fighter is now going to show what she can do.

Pulling away from the dock.

We had company. The Boston Fire Department.

Now it was show time.

Boston pumped water too.

We still need to fix the leaks.

Jake's friend Martha took this.

Then we took a cruise around Boston Harbor.

The Old North Church.

I have heard the fog horn on this. YOU DO NOT WANT TO NOT COVER YOUR EARS!!!!!!!

Holy cow is that thing loud. It feels like it's going to crush your chest.

This time no one blew the horn.

Back at the dock my wife came aboard.

She got her first tour of the engine room.

I have much more but I have other things to attend to.

More later.

Great pictures, keep up the fine work, ipe planking in north dock, top shelf.

OK, I'm back.

Between running my business, getting the engines rebuilt on my boat, (sea trial today) and trying to keep Fire Fighter running....

As my Texas cousin once said, "You've got too many irons in the fire, boy."

Not to mention this thread.

So today before I go off to another appointment I put this together rather quickly.

It shows one main engine being started using compressed air to get it turning over and the engineer, Nick, picking up the RPM and engaging the motors that drive the pumps. Not quite the 20,000 gallons it could put out, it was only one engine running.

In the beginning you hear a 3-71 diesel running to make DC power. It makes more noise than the 16 cylinder engines. So when the big one starts, you can hardly tell.

I start below deck, then go up to see the water shoot out, and then back below for shutting down the engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fkh-Djipa8&t=12s

Last edited by Morgan Volunteer; 06-18-2022 at 04:02 PM.