Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15556465
Results 2,241 to 2,253 of 2253

Thread: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

Default Re: Charles W Morgan Restoration; A Volunteer's Perspective-1

The whaler on the opposite side of the river is docked where the S&P Oyster House is now.

This is the only one I don't understand. The keel is supported on basically a monorail. I get the building of the ship, but how can it be launched without falling over?

This makes a full circuit around the scale model. The sign says I am standing where the white horse is along side the ship about to be launched. The ship? The David Crockett.

Back to the real world. I took a look at Mayflower II.

The holes are drilled through the old planking to hold the new futtock in place until the ceiling is installed. Then the outer planking can be replaced.

He will use lag screws to hold it up. You can see the screws already installed on the left.

Inside, the keelson is almost in place. It's not yet fastened.

In the barn, another keelson section is ready to go.

Work continues above.

Next week we have a date on Thursday to do our thing. Anne will be back but Wayne's work in Texas will be long and hard. He said he'll be back mid month. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Volunteer View Post
    This is the only one I don't understand. The keel is supported on basically a monorail. I get the building of the ship, but how can it be launched without falling over?

This makes a full circuit around the scale model. The sign says I am standing where the white horse is along side the ship about to be launched. The ship? The David Crockett.

Having finished the hull, caulked and painted her they build launching ways underneath her.
    If you look closely at the last Davy Crockett model you can see the launch cradle sitting on the launch ways going into the water.
    Smaller boats are bilged over so that the bilge sits on a launch way and the keel sits in a way with a hollow channel in its top.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

September 13, 2017

Yesterday I chipped paint on the Joseph Conrad. At 135 years old, the iron hull still needs chipping and painting as she did the day she was launched in 1882. Since Wayne is still away, I was working alone. It's fun though because visitors always stop and talk.

This is the worst of it.

Located under a stairway it was tough to get to.

But by the time I was done, I had about four times as much done as shown here. Anywhere rust showed through the paint was my target. When done I sprayed on Ospho. It coverts the rust to a black and hard surface.

West Marine says this about it.

A metal treatment that, when applied to rusted surfaces, causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate—an inert, hard substance that appears black. Once dry, the treated surface can be overcoated with whatever paint system is desired. (Best results have been achieved with oil-base primers and topcoats. Test a trial sample before overcoating with epoxy or latex-based paint.) Application does not require the removal of light rust, however loose paint, rust scale, dirt, oil, grease and other accumulations should be removed first with a wire brush.

After lunch I noticed Ryan working on one of the buildings in the village. It was just a routine repair.

But what this did was, draw my attention to something new. I have walked past the building for eight years now and never looked inside.

It's a model shop. There was no one there to talk to, but what I found made it obvious what was going on.

They make the models for the Mystic River Scale Model Exhibit.

http://stories.mysticseaport.org/mys...model-exhibit/

This house is on the river opposite the seaport.

The building is small with just about enough room for two or three people to work.

Also on my way back to work, I spotted a visiting yacht.

No big deal, right? We get lots of boats like this during the year.

But this is my first helicopter on a boat.

September 21, 2017

I walked in and found Dean working on the older forklift rear/steering axle. I believe it dates back to the 1950's so it's had a lot of use.

A bit later, Scott was burning off what remained of a roller bearing the had almost completely disintegrated. All the was left was no more that a thick film. The torch got it off.

Anne and I worked on the Mayflower II most of the day, but when done we were asked to clean up the forklift as best we could.

I'm not quite sure what this is, but the inner surface is rubber. It looks like it holds the upper pin in place in the top picture. It's very greasy.

As always, Anne is really working hard.

Wayne is still in Texas working with the Red Cross after the hurricane, but he's home late Sunday. I hope he'll be at the seaport on Tuesday. He told me he's going to take a two week break from the Red Cross and then go back in mid October. There are certainly plenty of disasters for him to attend to.

As I mentioned above, Anne and I worked on Mayflower II. We did what we do, scrape paint. The keel has many, many layers of bottom paint so what ever was lose, we took off. For the most part the paint held tight, but a lot still came off. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to be ready for yet another coat of bottom paint.

Looking forward.

Just next to Anne's right hand is a segment of the worm shoe. The supports prevent the removal of the whole worm shoe, so segments were removed between the supports. Later, the keel will be lifted just enough to remove this smaller section. Then it will be replaced using a similar lifting method across several sections.

So, what's a worm shoe? It's sacrificial piece of wood attached to the bottom of the keel to keep the worms away from the keel. Between the worm shoe and the keel is a layer of Irish felt soaked in pine tar. At least that's the way I remember it from the Morgan project. It prevents worm from boring into the keel.

And it works too.

Morgan's worm shoe looked worse than this.

I don't know how the worm shoe was held in place, whether by lags or trunnels, but the hole left behind needs to be plugged. After drilling the hole larger, a trunnel was driven in and held with Gorilla Glue.

Crit is sawing off the trunnel. I think I have his name spelled correctly. Hope so anyway.

Our gang did a lot of this sort of thing on Morgan. When a futtock is installed it has to be secured to the original planking to maintain the shape of the hull. When it's time to replace the planking, the lag screw hole in the futtock needs to be drilled out and plugged with wood. Usually we used white oak trunnels.

On the port side, Chris is using a hole saw on an extension trying to remove an iron spike. He's cutting around the head so he could grab the head with vise grips.

I didn't see it come out.

Nathan is about to jack this timber into place using this jack. If there's a special name for this jack, I don't have it. He was in and out of the ship a few times planing part to make it fit.

later, I poked my head up through the hull and he was still at it. The fit of these massive pieces is much tighter than you might think.

Amidships, Tucker is vacuuming up. Note the keelson going into the stern.

The bow section of the keelson is in as well, and in the barn the last section is almost ready.

In the barn, Jamie is make some final adjustments to the center section of the keelson.

A lot of noise at the other end of the barn was coming form the planer.

They are planing some of the covering boards for Mayflower II. It took me a while to find out what they meant by covering board.

Covering Board - the outermost, wide, fore-and-aft running deck plank on either side of a vessel; covering much of the length of the top edge of the hull, the ends of the frames, and the top edge of the sheer clamp.

I found it here.

http://www.photographers1.com/Sailin...enclature.html

We were all done cleaning the forklift with a few minutes to spare so I went exploring. In the attic of the paint shop is a treasure trove of good stuff. Some treasure, some junk. Mostly it depends on your needs.

These lines wait for a need.

In the eaves are leftover bronze spikes from the Morgan project.

A close up of one of the boxes of bronze spikes. I couldn't really get close to it.

I think this is a sewing machine but.....

A box of harpoon parts and whaleboat oarlocks.

Americas attic is alive and well at Mystic Seaport.

Just before I left for home, I took a walk through the Shipyard Gallery located over the main floor of the DuPont Restoration shop.

It has been closed for a few weeks while a new exhibit is installed for visitors.

As of yesterday, not much appears to be ready.

This exhibit opens today. I took this picture at 3:15 yesterday. I'm thinking they pulled an all-nighter to get it done.

So, as I drove out to the street to go home, Stonington High School was just getting started. They are one of the few public high schools in the country to have a rowing team.

http://stoningtoncrew.org/about

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Volunteer View Post

I think this is a sewing machine but.....

The top one is for leather work.

The bottom one is a heavy duty industrial unit. The chain and lever affair goes to a foot treadle so that you can lift the machines foot wilst keeping both hands on the work piece..
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.