Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dguidry
    • Oct 2008

Small Houseboat Plans

Anyone have plans for a small wooden houseboat...25' or less with a hull approximating the shape of the old flatbottom school boats used in Louisiana in the old days. I'm interested in building one that looks good, traditional, in marine plywood with cypress and mahogany mixed in where I can. Small outboard powered. I'm more interested in form than function at this point, so nice curved gunwale and shear would be nice. Flatbottomed with maybe pretty reverse curve aft, in which case I'd probably want to revert to cypress planks to accommodate the curvature. Just completed my 16' crawfish skiff which I built out of 5/16's planks of cypress encapsulated in fiberglass and epoxy, powered by a 23hp gator tail motor. Now all I need to complete my dream package is the houseboat.
  • Uncle Duke
    Just this guy...
    • Jun 2005

Re: Small Houseboat Plans

Lots of stuff around: you might start with some of Atkins stuff:
    Atkin & Co Boat Plans, boat designs, boat building, William Atkin, John Atkin, Billy Atkin, small boats, good boats

Under "rowboats and outboards" scroll down to 'River Rat", for example. A 22' "houseboat/cabin cruiser".

Under "Miscellanious", you might check out "Herald of the Morning" or "Retreat" (both 18') or slightly larger: "Rocking Chair"
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Comment

• Steve Paskey
      • Oct 2001

Harry Bryan's Shantyboat ... Similar to the Atkin "Retreat," but a bit larger (20') and with more style.

Phil Thiel has a 22-foot design called "Friendship" and a 23-footer called the Joli Boat (as well as an 18-footer called Escargot, which is shown in the last link below):

Phil's Friendship:

Phil's Joli Boat:

And here's a whole web site on Shantyboats, with links to more resources ... designs, books, discussion groups:
      Last edited by Steve Paskey; 01-28-2010, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• Reardon
        • Nov 2009

I hate it when someone says, "This design doesn't meet your specifications, but here it is anyways" ,and now I find myself doing the same thing.

I love the aesthetics of this design... couldn't help myself.

Comment

• SScoville
          • Sep 2008

Do you have a picture of the type of hull you're talking about. I came across a very interesting design the other day. It was published in The Rudder years ago and then republished in the Woodenboat issue that had an article on Pete Culler's sailing scow. Designed by Roger Haddock it is a tunnel hulled houseboat.

The only drawings I know of are here: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=scow&w=43145927%40N00

And it's 28'. And the Wooden Boat article said the only plans were lost in a fire. But it's worth a look.

Comment

• Bobcat
            Formerly a Smallboat Guy
            • May 2007

I think I like shanty boats....

Suspect there would be snobbery against them, tho

That would just add spice to having one
            What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Comment

• Robmill0605
              • May 2006

I have the plans for Aqua Casa, a 16ft or 20 ft shanty houseboat. more here:

Cape Codder is a floating home, 20 ft or 24 ft. from the same designer.
              " He who works with his hands is a laborer.
              He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist".
              St. Francis of Assis (1181-1226)

Comment

• dld
                • Mar 2002

Free Boat Plans, Boat Plans, Power Boats, Small Boats, Sail Boats, Boats, Plans, Free, small boat plans, boatplans, free boats, sailboats, sea flea, Boat Building, Boat Construction

under house boats

Comment

• JimD
                  Senior Mumbler
                  • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Robmill0605
                  I have the plans for Aqua Casa, a 16ft or 20 ft shanty houseboat. more here:

Cape Codder is a floating home, 20 ft or 24 ft. from the same designer.
                  http://www.berkeley-engineering.com/CapeCodder.html
                  I like the Aqua Casa. If you don't want to go boating in it just go camping:

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• MiddleAgesMan
                    • Jul 2007

Rueull Parker's Sampan houseboat is about 34 feet IIRC but could be made smaller. It's got a unique style that really grabs me. Maybe it will grab you, too.

Edit--sorry, it's 36' not 34: http://www.parker-marine.com/sam36page.html
                    Last edited by MiddleAgesMan; 01-28-2010, 06:28 PM.
                    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

Comment

• SScoville
                      • Sep 2008

Comment

• tomlarkin
                        • Nov 2006

I like Devlin's Millie Hill.

Comment

• SamSam
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by dguidry
                          Anyone have plans for a small wooden houseboat...25' or less with a hull approximating the shape of the old flatbottom school boats used in Louisiana in the old days. I'm interested in building one that looks good, traditional, in marine plywood with cypress and mahogany mixed in where I can. Small outboard powered. I'm more interested in form than function at this point, so nice curved gunwale and shear would be nice. Flatbottomed with maybe pretty reverse curve aft, in which case I'd probably want to revert to cypress planks to accommodate the curvature. Just completed my 16' crawfish skiff which I built out of 5/16's planks of cypress encapsulated in fiberglass and epoxy, powered by a 23hp gator tail motor. Now all I need to complete my dream package is the houseboat.
                          So, what does a Louisiana school boat look like? Did they move around? Motorized or towed? Any old pictures?

Comment

• Bobcat
                            Formerly a Smallboat Guy
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by MiddleAgesMan
                            Rueull Parker's Sampan houseboat is about 34 feet IIRC but could be made smaller. It's got a unique style that really grabs me. Maybe it will grab you, too.

Edit--sorry, it's 36' not 34: http://www.parker-marine.com/sam36page.html

I like the outhouse.
                            What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Comment

• sailboy3
                              • Aug 2009

I've always liked Atkin's Retreat

Comment

Working...