Thread: Bronze Pintles and Gudgeons

Default Bronze Pintles and Gudgeons

Just completeing a 16' Melonseed but have run into problems finding bronze rudder hardware. Can't seem to find anyone who will sell individual pieces. Any clues will be appreciated.

Default Re: Bronze Pintles and Gudgeons

If all else fails, you could always make them at home...

..but, in your case, it might not have to come to that. But, it's a comforting thought that you could if you really wanted to, isn't it?

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 01-04-2010 at 04:00 PM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I've had such a hard time finding gunters n pidgeons that I've gone to "sewing" my rudders on . (last 2 boats)

Duck Trap Woodworking will sell their gudgeons individually, and you can choose to polish and/or drill yer own. Give 'em a call. I ordered a single undrilled/unpolished strap gudgeon for my wherry from them. Hamilton Marine will sell individual bronze pintles.

http://www.duck-trap.com/rudderfittings.html

No drillpress necessary. A dremel and several tapered bits WERE required, however...

Last edited by Thorne; 01-04-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I cheated by having stainless fabrications welded up, polished out the weld ripples, then heat treated them to a bronzy coloured temper.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I had the same problem when building my 17ft Salty Heaven here in Australia. I got the hardware from Classic Marine in Britain. www.classicmarine.co.uk

It may seem like a bit of a business to import it, but they were very efficient and it was all quite painless.

Good luck
    John Little

John did you try Mike at http://www.woodenboatfittings.com.au/ he's a forumite, he does not have them listed, but he'd have found them for you.

Second the recommendation for Duck Trap. They sell bronze castings for gudgeons with both horizontal and vertical straps, so for a wineglass transom you can get a horizontal one for the upper rudder support and a vertical one for the lower.

I got a set that's as above— all gudgeons, no pintles— that is both the fittings that attach to the rudder and those for the hull have holes, no pins. That works fine for my application. When I looked at the website photo linked above, it seemed that some of the holes were not drilled to center, so I bought unfinished castings and did my own drilling. With a drillpress.
    Last edited by Chip-skiff; 01-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    When I looked at the website photo linked above, it seemed that some of the holes were not drilled to center, so I bought unfinished castings and did my own drilling. With a drillpress.
    LOL!

If I'd had one at the time I'd certainly have used it. (got one later) Not everyone has my steely eye and casual attitude toward expensive bronze parts...
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    If all else fails, you could always make them at home...

..but, in your case, it might not have to come to that. But, it's a comforting thought that you could if you really wanted to, isn't it?

Now, how cool is that...