Thread: 42ft Parker Terrapin Schooner

I ran across this on the net. Looks like a fine boat. It took less than 3 years too -- quickly built, as these things go.

I thought it was interesting enough to post here.

http://boatbuilding.com/content/Terrapin/page4.html

Dave

Thanks for posting- I've always liked Parker's approach, simple with a common sense use of modern stuff. This is the first example of an amature built boat I've seen for one of his designs. Looks like fun!

thats the perfect boat..for me..but with a plumb bow..don,t like clipper bow on small boats (50 feet and under)

I've always like Parker's designs

Plumb bow? Looks more like a clipper bow to me

Living a beautiful life... FREE FREE AT LAST!!

Dave Thanks for posting that... just had a long gander through that build... he done good work!

Question... I know I know I gotta stop looking at different designs!... anyway does parker have a web site? are his designs on the web anywhere? Wouldnt mind having a look at what else he has created

Thanks in advance
    Take it easy
    Shane

Ummmmm, errrrr, welllllll,

Mr. Parker's historical research is good. But, his construction techniques are way inferior. Worst of all, though, is his complete lack of customer service. If you buy a plan and have a question, you're screwed. He doesn't like to talk on the phone, and askes that you email him. If you email him, he doesn't respond. I've actually spoken with him and found him to be gruff to the point of rudeness and ultimately unhelpful.

His designs are firmly rooted in historical context, but for the money (considerably less) I'd go straight to Chappelle if I were to invest the huge amount of time and $$$ required to build a boat.

Don't mean to dampen spirits, but my own experience being so resoundingly negative, I thought I should weigh in.

Keep hunting,

BB

Really? I rather like his designs. Which did you buy? Did you end up building? What aspects of his construction techniques do you consider inferior?

I ask because I'm going to start a plywood skiff next week (a garvey, my own design), built in a similar way.

Dave

part of the Parker controversy is his fastner choice.

He uses rather cheap screws etc, theorizing that being imbedded in epoxy, they will be fine.

maybe, maybe not.

If you have doubt, and your building it yourself, just use better fasteners.

Personally I love his designs.

I love his designs, too, but that's because his designs are deeply rooted in historical designs found on the east coast, generally from the chesapeake south. You can find similar designs, and a lot more of them, in Chapelle's books. Parker has made some valuable changes to the original designs, and most are worth noting if you plan to build to one of those styles.

As Brian mentioned, his fastener choice is a big part of the problem. But so is his material choice in general. Once you start talking about cold molding with ac plywood, you lost me. His smaller craft are better in this regard than his larger ones.

I have not bought any plans from him, I do own and have read almost all his books, though.

My experience in itself might not be worth much, but I've seen and heard similar experiences from several other people who liked his designs. I remember a website in particular which a guy put up when he built one of Parker's smaller designs. The boat was absolutely lovely, but his experience with Parker was dismal, and he relates it on the site. His summation was something like 'great design, lousy designer'.

All the best, BB