Thread: lofting

Question

I have made two boats from plans but would like to take on a project that requires that I loft from plans. Any suggestions on books that will help me LEARN how.
    From above average wood worker.
    Thanks

"Details of Classic Boat Construction" by LarryPardy is one , there are others also.

Both John Gardners "The Dory Book" and Greg Rossels "building small boats" have good sections on basic lofting. The forum, could it be searched, has much good info on the subject.

You just missed a DVD group buy on the subject (might be just as well given what a headache it seemed to be to order).

If you really have no familiarity with the subject, the above mentioned books are a good place to start. IMO, both authors write in a clear and helpful manner.

dave

How big's the boat you're planning? Most boat building books have a chapter on lofting which is all you'll need for a smaller boat. The only one I know of that doesn't is Oughtred's Clinker Ply book. If you really want the full treatment then get Vaitses 'Lofting', but it's over kill for most home builders.

Thanks for the info on books for lofting. Should have mentioned that I just finished a 26' sharpie, gaff rigged and it sails great. I want to build a 26' power from plans that I have.

Tell us more about the new plans. Enquiring minds want to know

Thumbs up

WLG...

I have a host of books for the amateur: Rossel, Chapelle, Purdy and a multitude of others, but in my view, the hands-down winner for getting lofting across to the newbie is BOATBUILDING MANUAL by Steward. It is clear and concise, and the illustrations/drawings are uncluttered and informative. I tried to glean whatever I could from each book in my collection, but I constantly returned to Steward to sort it all out...

One man's opinion.

-HarryH

Hold on just a minute! You think you can just waltz in here and ask a bunch of questions? Just like that? I don't think so.
    First you have to tell us all about that gaff rigged sharpie! Design, construction details, rigging, stuff like that. Pictures are good, too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, since you asked, look at Bud McIntosh's 'How To Build A Wooden Boat'. From Ellis Rowe's recent Bud thread:

"I moved to Maine from Va in 1975, where I had worked in a yard building deadrise boats by eye. I had no lofting experience and was somewhat intimidated by this black magic approach to boatbuilding. Upon meeting Bud, and becoming friends I mentioned my problem to him, telling him that I had studied Chapelle's treatise, which I found confusing. "Hell", he said "if I read Chappy's chapter on lofting, I wouldn't be able to loft anymore."
    After receiving the McIntosh lofting course on a shingle the whole process, or as much as I needed to know, became embarassingly clear.
    If I had teachers like Bud McIntosh thru school, I might even know something by now.I miss him."

Steven

[ 06-24-2005, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: StevenBauer ]

BOATBUILDING MANUAL by Steward is the textbook in many boatbuilding courses. It was the text for wooden boatbuilding at the school where I studied naval architecture. There is probably a reason for this...

(Edit for dyslexic fingers)

[ 06-24-2005, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: mmd ]

Thumbs up

I have a couple of books that explain lofting and out of all of them have found "building small boats" by Greg Rossel to be my favorite and easiest for me to understand. "Boatbuilding" by Chapelle and "Boatbuilding Manual" by Steward were also very good.

I found Chappel's discussion of lofting hard to follow and limited. Check in at the WoodenBoat store for Alan Vaitses' "Lofting." The definitive and thoroughly understandable treatment of different lofting problems, techniques and winkles.

It's not so much that Vaitses is the book to have if you can only have one book on lofting. It's the only one you need.

If I can't learn how to loft from all the info posted - I don't need to tackle the problem. To answer some questions, I have plans of the Redwing that I have had for about ten years. I'll try and get a picture or two of the 26' sharpie gaff rigged (motor sailer that has a 15hp 4-stroke) out next month after a trip to the lake.
    Thanks again for all the info on lofting.

Hey, Cuz, where are you? I'll be up north of Hawkins next week. I'll be looking for a place to get my boat wet. What lake are you talking about?

Wayne
    Soon to be on parole from The Swamp.