Thread: Wildcat Cuddy

i am looking for information or for anyone who has built a Wildcat Sport or Wildcat Cuddy designed by Ken Hankinson.

i built one not too long ago
    21 ft - added a wheelhouse
    what do you want toknow ?
    there are a quite a few problems you will encounter.

Thanks for your reply. If you have time to answer a few question please.
    Am I right to assume that you built the Wildcat open version, subsituting a pilot house for a center council?
    Was this your first boat building project? How long did it take to build, approximate number of hours? Did you have help or more hands, or could you do most things alone?
    What kind of problems did you run into?
    What do you find good or bad about the preformance, things like speed and range?
    What do you have for power, fuel capacity?
    Can you give approximate cost?
    Where and in what type of water (fresh or salt) do you use the boat and for what purpose?
    Thanks again for you reply and hope you respond again.

[Am I right to assume that you built the Wildcat open version, subsituting a pilot house for a center council?

correct- house is fairly modest to keep weight down as it is well forward

Was this your first boat building project?

no-dunnit be fore keep saying will never doit again

How long did it take to build, approximate number of hours?
    cant remember -went on for ages any thing boat related takes much longer than you think

Did you have help or more hands, or could you do most things alone?
    yes had help
    did alot by ones self
    more help the better

What kind of problems did you run into?

the plans are pathetic
    asthetically ugly
    with that useless tug boat style gunwhale (changed)
    designed for old style plystringer construction not stitch and glue
    needed considerable changes
    taking away useless bits and reinforcing oterareas like transom transom knees ect

when you get all the frames up and stuck together and try to skin the hull with plyyou find that you cannot bend the ply fairly around the frames and end up with a great disaster requiring the crudest nastiest dirtiest boatbuilding tofair the 2 inch dips between frames

What do you find good or bad about the preformance, things like speed and range?

you have to ride a cat to appreciate it
    if you have ever had a good beating in 15+ knots of wind in a monohull
    you will never want to go back
    good stability-dont get thrown all over the joint -some dont get seasick as easily
    go out when monohulls are in
    good fueleconomy
    -thatsfor cats in generall

a smallwheel house on asmall boat is a finething keeps the sun off the rain off the wind out ect the ladies can change ect

the center console is definately not the best option

the hulls on the wildcat i think are too narrow and need to be somewhat wider -the tunnel needs to be higheras it rubs the water at anyspeed - lotsof wetted surface

mounting the engines is difficult requiring alot of thought

What do you have for power, fuel capacity?

75 mercs
    100 gals fuel
    = 30 knots or so
    that will get you most places fast and with resonable economy

Can you give approximate cost?

not off hand- more than you think a lotless than a new kevlacat

Where and in what type of water (fresh or salt) do you use the boat and for what purpose?

salt water- no i dont use it -it is used for diving -fishing -ect recreationaly

if there where other plans for cats out there e i would say look at them - if you choose this you must make a lot of changes

i have a picture -maybe i can figure out how to post it at some point

Thumbs up

http://www.geocities.com/wildcat_sport

We spent alot of hours on the boat.

HACD is right-on with his comments

Need info ?

Send me a PM...

here is a website with some larger but very well designed fiberglass cats-

www.southboats.co.uk

You say you want a little pilot house launch?
    How does 11' suit?

This started out in life as one if Ian Oughtred's 10'2" dinghy designs called the "Puffin". I'll bet he doesn't know this boat though!

[ 08-29-2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

Any suggestions for a 28' 32' power catamaran ?

I'm now building Ken Hankinsons Wildcat... a 24 footer...

http://www.geocities.com/wildcat_sport/

Jean-Sebastien
    Jasipati

John Kiley of Osterville, Massachusetts designed this 32' footer: http://www.seasportboats.com/32line.html# He's also designed larger ones: Search http://www.yachtworld.com for Benchmark. He would really love to design a smaller one @ 27'-30'.

[ 11-18-2004, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: rbgarr ]

Living a beautiful life... FREE FREE AT LAST!!

Jean-Sebastien how are you progressing? shes coming along just fine... have you found many problems or have they only been minor hiccups easily fixed?... are the plans value for $$?

So far Ive only been able to fine these and the ones on GlenLs site seems to be a hole out there for power cat designs

Let us know!!!

Bump! enquiring minds need to know how this is going!!

Originally posted by Wild Dingo:
    Jean-Sebastien how are you progressing? shes coming along just fine... have you found many problems or have they only been minor hiccups easily fixed?... are the plans value for $$?

So far Ive only been able to fine these and the ones on GlenLs site seems to be a hole out there for power cat designs

Let us know!!!
    Hi Wild Dingo

The Canadian winter is quite long... There is still snow on the ground and we really need mother nature to heat up our part of the world... Because of the cold, we still aren't able to fiberglass the hull.

HACD's above comments were right on... As this is my first boatbuild experience, I can't compare the plans... I've found many "hiccups" but nothing that wasn't easilly fixed... With the eception of the engine mounting.

We're not there yet, but with HACD's warning, we are trying to redesign the dive platform area...
    Cuz the connecting rod between the 2 outboard is in the way...

I'm sure you know by now that Ken Hankinson has retired. Had you already bought the plans ?

You can always email me @ jasipati(at)sympatico.ca. You'll get a faster answer... Sorry about that

Hankinson's Forum on Glen-L
    http://glen-l.com/phpBB2/index.php

Jean-Sébastien - jasipati

[ 05-14-2005, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: J.S.B. ]

Originally posted by J.S.B.:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wild Dingo:

Let us know!!!
    Hi Wild Dingo

The Canadian winter is quite long... There is still snow on the ground and we really need mother nature to heat up our part of the world... Because of the cold, we still aren't able to fiberglass the hull.

HACD's above comments were right on... As this is my first boatbuild experience, I can't compare the plans... I've found many "hiccups" but nothing that wasn't easilly fixed... With the eception of the engine mounting.

We're not there yet, but with HACD's warning, we are trying to redesign the dive platform area... Cuz the connecting rod between the 2 outboards is in the way...

I'm sure you know by now that Ken Hankinson has retired. Had you already bought the plans ?

You can always email me @ jasipati(at)sympatico.ca. You'll get a faster answer... Sorry about that

Hankinson's Forum on Glen-L
    http://glen-l.com/phpBB2/index.php

Jean-Sébastien - jasipati
    </font>[/QUOTE]

[ 04-01-2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: J.S.B. ]

Thanks Jean-Sebastian ... funny I went for a gander around GlenLs site and damned if I could find any cats similar to WildCat although Im flamin sure there was one!! So anyways went to ClarkCraft and had a gander thinkin maybe my ol mind was doin a wander and although they have a button there for powercats none are there just a link to boatplans.com... whoever has this site has cats from 17ft to 45ft called a stormcat... WICKED!!! love choice! yeah confusion builds confidence ... I think? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

So okay Kens retired his business is gone no plans available... just that link to GlenLs site which also doesnt have powercats?? what gives!!

Oh buggar it Im too flamin busy to worry about this now but heck it would be good to know whats goin on out there in powercat plans land

Originally posted by Wild Dingo:
    Thanks Jean-Sebastian ... funny I went for a gander around GlenLs site and damned if I could find any cats similar to WildCat although Im flamin sure there was one!! So anyways went to ClarkCraft and had a gander thinkin maybe my ol mind was doin a wander and although they have a button there for powercats none are there just a link to boatplans.com... whoever has this site has cats from 17ft to 45ft called a stormcat... WICKED!!! love choice! yeah confusion builds confidence ... I think? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

So okay Kens retired his business is gone no plans available... just that link to GlenLs site which also doesnt have powercats?? what gives!!

Oh buggar it Im too flamin busy to worry about this now but heck it would be good to know whats goin on out there in powercat plans land
    Hi Shane,

Both Wildcat and Bear-cat were from Ken Hankinson.

The Bearcat could be built to 28' x 10' (up to 11') while the Wildcat was trailable @ 24' x 8'6".

www.andy-smith-boatworks.com/en/andy_smith_boat_works.htm

They are building a Bearcat.

[ 04-02-2005, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: J.S.B. ]

WOW!! Thanks Jean-Sebastian seems this is a pretty popular design around the traps up that way eh?!

Now about that stern area... I keep thinkin it would be somethin nice if instead of the flat ends of the two hulls if one couldnt put the outboard in the centre bit and have like steps down to the water on either side? Did that make sence? maybe a pod for the outboard random thoughts happenin here I know your havin some interesting times setting up that area for the outboards... one outboard in the centre area ala Daves Flats boat thats been shown on the board from time to time... different sorta boat to an extent but still a cat two hulls but one outboard freeing up the two hulls at the stern area

See bein Aussie Im basically a laid back sorta fella an after a tad of swimmin in the Indian Ocean clamberin back up on deck from the water in the middle of two outboards or from a ladder set on the side of the hulls really doesnt do it for me so Im thinkin what would be better than a set of easy access steps built into the ends of each hull these could even be curved outwards so that you avoid the outboard altogether?

mmmm wonder how much time I can nick from the packin to draw this??? give me a few and I will see what I can come up with

but I do love that blue color!!! excellentay!

Smile

We decided to turn our boat on a friday the 13th !

Bad idea

Just kidding ! Actually... it was super easy

Here are some pictures...

www.geocities.com/wildcat_sport

[ 05-14-2005, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: J.S.B. ]

Hacd (Alex D.)... Are you there !!!

Could you write me at jasipati (at) sympatico.ca
    I, once again, had to format my hard drive... That HD in now in a dump somewhere

[ 05-14-2005, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: J.S.B. ]

I emailed you - dont know if you got it .

Boat looks good!

The finished boat on lake Ontario (Kingston).