Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Setzler
    • Apr 2004

Re: Bolger's Resolution and St. Valery designs

Perhaps someone will explain to me what a powder horn sheer is?

Chris
    "All those who believe in psycho-kinetics, raise my hand."

Comment

• James McMullen
      老板
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DGentry
      James, I'm pretty sure I've had to duck the boom in Rowan a few times . . . .
      You did as crew, the helmsman didn't! On the much bigger Romilly or Roxane, even fewer people are at risk. The mast smack dab in the middle of St Valery's cockpit with a boom that crosses it and projects both fore and aft of it means that everybody has to duck and dodge each and every time.

That the rig works " just dandy " is contradicted several times in posts on this thread alone with reports from people who have actually sailed her ..... A cat-schooner is a compromise, just like any other rig, and not even conventional schooners with big, high-tensioned jibs are considered particularly weatherly compared to many other rigs.

The fact that Bolger, a noted experimenter with sail rigs, drew vastly greater numbers of cat-yawls than cat-schooners in his enormous body of work seems telling to me. Doesn't it seem like the rig of a Micro or a Chebacco or a Martha Jane would fit this hull just fine, and be more ergonomic to live with to boot?

Maybe Val's got a great personality though, and I'm just being too shallow focusing on her homeliness and her quirks.
      Last edited by James McMullen; 01-18-2010, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• P.L.Lenihan
        Junior Cinq-etoile
        • Oct 2005

Waiter! Quick! Two more Irish coffees over here!James is being shallow again!

Cheers!

Peter,the shallowest
        Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
        J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Comment

• matoi
          • Mar 2009

Chris, thanks once again for your effort. If you get a chance to transfer a bit of experience with her, comments on her sailing ability from the owner, that would be wonderful.
          Re powder horn, I think what James had in mind is that her bulwark edge follows the red line instead of what would be more common a black line on this: image.

But, I guess one should really see her in reallity, or at least make a model to judge her beauty. Sketches, virtual 3d models, and even photos can be misleading sometimes.

Best wishes,

Mato

Comment

• Chris Setzler
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by matoi
            Chris, thanks once again for your effort. If you get a chance to transfer a bit of experience with her, comments on her sailing ability from the owner, that would be wonderful.
            Re powder horn, I think what James had in mind is that her bulwark edge follows the red line instead of what would be more common a black line on this: image.

But, I guess one should really see her in reallity, or at least make a model to judge her beauty. Sketches, virtual 3d models, and even photos can be misleading sometimes.

Best wishes,

Mato

Mato, Maybe the best way to get the info you are looking for in a timely manner would be to send me a private message with a list of questions. I could ask him to answer them and get back to you or post them.

Chris
            "All those who believe in psycho-kinetics, raise my hand."

Comment

• TheBoatDoctor
              • Mar 2010

The boat balances well with main and foresail. The jib is on a retractable bowsprit, which makes tacking easier. The main staysil is a good addition in light to moderate air. The bronze plates on bottom and lead internal ballast make a total of 2000 lbs. This makes the boat adequately stiff. 2nd reef in each of sails make comfortable rig in 25-30 kt breeze. Boat built to specs except addition of bowsprit designed by Phil Bolger for me and permanently mounted footwell to avoid leaks.

Position of masts and booms no more a problem in tacking than in any of the other many cruising boats I've had. Comfortable cruising for 2 people. Despite the flat bottom, pounding in a chop is not really a problem as long as the boat is heeled 10 degrees or more. With the outboard the boat can be motored in 2 ft of water and sailed in 3 feet.

Happy sailing to you!
              John

Comment

• paladin
                Senior Senior Member
                • Dec 2000

Thanks, John, and welcome aboard.
                Wakan Tanka Kici Un
                ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
                Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
                Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
                "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

• WX
                  Uki NSW Australia
                  • Feb 2002

Wooden Boat mag 157 has an article on the St Valery.
                  Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• WX
                    Uki NSW Australia
                    • Feb 2002

Anyone interested in plans can get them here. Boat Design Quarterly No 10
                    Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• Peter Keyes
                      Tappan Zee
                      • Sep 2006

I just happened upon this thread twelve years later, and I thought you all might interested to see that the Devlin-built St. Valery is for sale in Olympia:https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...olger-8374435/

Comment

• Sandlapper
                        • Mar 2021

Originally posted by Peter Keyes
                        I just happened upon this thread twelve years later, and I thought you all might interested to see that the Devlin-built St. Valery is for sale in Olympia:https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...olger-8374435/
                        There are usually reasons why so few ever build some designs, even if Bolger did design them. I thought St Valery was a flawed design and interesting only that it did show how an off the wall concept can work sometimes. Why risk money and effort when equivalent performance can be had with a proven concept. Devlin built it and seemed to make it sound good but I notice that he has not built any more of them.

Comment

• johngsandusky
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Peter Keyes
                          Thanks for the information! I enjoy seeing old threads come back to life.
                          (I don't need another boat. Repeat as necessary.)

Comment

Working...