Thread: Free Stern Wheeler Plans

Default Free Stern Wheeler Plans

Somewhere along the way, I happened across these plans and printed them out.I thought I'd pass them on for those interested. They are for a 25ft 6" Stern Wheeler for Shallow Water.
    I think that they could easily be converted to a Bolger style of construction in plywood. ( the plans call for two 16" wide 25 ft long boards!)
    They are from around 1910 and are now in the public domain. Scroll through the menu as they are several pages and they include scantlings and lines. ( no lofting)
    You can find them here;

http://motorboats.com.ua/
    " He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist".
    St. Francis of Assis (1181-1226)

Default Re: Free Stern Wheeler Plans

Stern Wheel Boat By C. G. Davis

There are hundreds of places on the shallow lakes and rivers throughout this country where the seagoing motorboat would be hard aground most of the time, and where only such boats can be used as are designed to navigate the shallow places.
    When Eastern designers turn out a Florida cruiser they consider that they have designed a shallow 3raft boat; but while they consider 36 inches shallow, the places we have in mind would float only 12 inches and in some spots not even that much, places where a man can remove his footgear, roll up his trousers and walk ashore at almost any point. The enjoyable sensations that make a boat ride so attractive to the people along the seacoast, where motor-beating is carried on a large scale, is all the more of a novelty and all the more enjoyed by those who have never or seldom been on the water on anything other than a log raft. Think what a novelty such a craft would be to a community whose rules of the road could be summed up in two words, "nigh" and "off," or "gee" and "haw." I can just imagine such a crowd with a man at the wheel chewing the end of a dry straw, shouting as he meets another boat, "Gee there I gee!"Why should such a man adopt an unknown vocabulary and say star board or port? The Government inspector would never come around in such localities to see if the boat had her full equipment of side lights, bow and stern lights, fog horn, bell and life preservers) Who would want a life preserver when the water is only knee deep to a child? And the moo of an old cow in a lot would be as good a lighthouse fog horn as would be needed if the cow was only tied so she'd stay in one place.
    There are many disadvantages that the deep water sailor has to contend with that would be unknown on the waters where this stern wheeler could navigate, and no doubt other novel conditions would crop up—a cow might be cooling herself in the brook and in that case a blast of the whistle might be of use to scare her out of the way. Now that small gasoline motors have been perfected and have come into such use on the farm, the man who runs that motor and understands the operation of it could also run the one in the boat, and for that matter the same motor could turn the churn, saw the wood and be put in the boat to drive it as needed. We deep-sea dogs always speak of a boat as she or her, but we're not going to impregnate the fresh, sweet, drinkable water with salty terms, so shall call her "it."

A Stern Wheeler By C. G. Davis.

Motorboats of XX Runabout 20ft Molds Runabout 20ft Construction Runabout 20ft Frames Runabout 25ft Runabout 25ft Lines Runabout 25ft Molds Runabout 25ft Keel Runabout 25ft Srem Runabout 25ft Construction Runabout 25ft Steam Box Runabout 25ft Garboard Runabout 25ft Planks Runabout 25ft Calk Runabout 25ft Coaming Runabout 25ft Specs for Construction Runabout 30ft Plan Runabout 30ft Construction Stern Wheel Boat Stern Wheel Boat Planks Stern Wheel Boat Construction Stern Wheel Boat Steering Gear Assembling Finishing Boat Models Building a Boat from Patterns Carbureters Cooling Systems Don'ts For Motor Boatmen Engine Troubles And Remedies Installation Of Engines Exhaust Devices Form and Strength of Hull Hydroaeroplanes Hydroplanes Hydroplane Coaming Hydroplane Single Step Hydroplane Molds Hydroplane Motor Hydroplane Planks Hydroplane V-ed Sections Ignition Lubrication Marine Gasoline Engines Operation and Care of Engine Boat Patterns and Knock-Down Frames. Propellers Reversing Gear And Propeller Wheels Rules Of Navigation Structural Members and Materials Trouble Hints And Tips

What people knew about such watercraft as motorboat till the beginning of 20th century
    " He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist".
    St. Francis of Assis (1181-1226)

That design looks surprisingly 'familiar' - here's a link to a modern-day design that was featured in WoodenBoat a while back:

http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/

I'm pretty sure that Mark V is a Forumite. Perhaps he'll stop by with a comment or two.

If you build the stern-wheeler, I suspect that your biggest challenge will be finding a suitable motor. I'm guessing something relatively slow-running with lots of torque is what's wanted.
    A H-D v-twin, perhaps. Apparently some bikes used single-cylinder four-stroke motors, which might work too. Or maybe a 'one-lung' motor.

Tom

Robmill is very familiar with my boat, he has been aboard it.
    Don't Panic!

Try to work out what the marketing guy wants you to do then do precisely the opposite.

Thanks for posting those plans. Ive been interested in sternwheelers for a long time, there are very few plans of smaller boats available online. Do you know of any more?

I've posted one from Harry Sucher a few times and there is one from 'The Rudder' magazine that can be found on 'Google Books' in volume 25, the May and June 1911 issues.
    Page 389 gets you into the May issue, page 461 is the June part. These are complete plans with all the drawings and text.

I really like Google Books.

http://books.google.com/books?q=edit...d=CPo6AAAAMAAJ