Thread: Briney Bug - Simple 34-foot Florida Troller Boat

Default Briney Bug - Simple 34-foot Florida Troller Boat

I really like the concept of this boat - wooden, extremely simple, and home-built. They built it for about $70,000. I like the open pilothouse (for Florida anyway) and the small sailing rig. They designed the boat themselves. (No Naval Architect? ) They've lived aboard for a few years.

http://www.trawlersandtrawlering.com...ugrudyand.html

The hull is carvel planked over sawn frames; all structural members and planking are pressure treated pine with the most difficult to replace timbers being the heaviest treated (2.5 lbs/cu. ft.), while the planking is treated to a lesser degree (.4 lbs/cu. ft.). With the exception of the stainless steel ballast bolts, the hull is fastened with galvanized fasteners. There are about 4,000 pounds of lead ballast. The interior is varnished cypress, fastened with bronze fasteners.
    -- Tom (boating blog)

Default Re: Briney Bug - Simple 34-foot Florida Troller Boat

She's looks fun to me.

From the bow and side she looks pretty good but I like an open deck area on the stern.

Looks reminiscent of the George Buehler Diesel Duck. Does it leave the dock very often?

Downingtown Pa (S/V UTOPIA down in Somer's Point, NJ)

after looking at beuhlers website id say it is one of his designs... not self designed.

-Thad
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

I know of Briney Bug from the Trawlers and Trawlering email list, he is a regular poster. I wrote Rudy about his boat being on WBF and invited him to join us here. I got this reply:

Thanks for the notice, we didn't know that the "Bug" was getting any attention. If anyone wants to ask questions, just have them contact us- rudysechez@yahoo.com.

Although George Buehler is in our background, Briney Bug is totally our creation.

Downingtown Pa (S/V UTOPIA down in Somer's Point, NJ)

totally their creation, eh?

well here is the diesel duck website:

http://dieselducks.com/stock%20plans.html

Clearly an original design... clearly.

-Thad
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Clearly an original design... clearly.
    This snarky comment got me thinking about what really constitutes a new design versus just a variation of an existing one. Buehler wrote a whole book describing how he based the ducks on troller boats.

This 36 foot boat has enough differences in the topsides that it doesn't look too much like a Diesel Duck 38. (The 34 wasn't yet designed when the Bug was built.) However, the rigging and the hull look very similar. They're obviously closely related.
    Last edited by tomlarkin; 12-27-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: fixed image
    -- Tom (boating blog)

I bet that open, breezy cabin is perfect for a hot summer day.

I see nothing wrong when a person builds a boat and add particulars that they have found on other hulls to be to their likings. The complete boat building industry has always accepted this practice as a compliment too in many cases. Why reproduce miserable proportions or unfavorable features? When I invest my time in building something, to be sure I plan on going the easy route if there is one and work into the boat previous items that I have found worked for me or items that I witnessed somewhere else, whether it be window shapes or cabin arrangments too. When I float my next boat and if it would be possible to pull along side of a couple other well known sportfishermen, some of you guys would be on here saying the same thing I guess that I copied some other boat. The difference that I see here is that when building your own boat you start a new and also in many cases in the larger hulls can save you big bucks too. In many cases on the new one, there are originals which some may also copy in their next builds whether they admit it or not and for sure previous tried and true items that work but needed improvement such as the walkaround, now far superior to anything on the market short of a complete on deck walkaround with was not possible. Use away I say!!!
    Last edited by erster; 12-27-2009 at 11:21 AM.